Photo
* * * * - 50 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 4/15: LEGO Sale, Flying Hamster HD/Sunflowers (Vita) $0.49 each, & Castle of Illusion (PS3+Genesis) Free for PS+!

• Please log in to reply
15376 replies to this topic

#7291 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

In the terms of games for the 3DS are there any awesome games that aren't 1st party or niche JRPGs? For me personally I've had way more enjoyment out of the Vita because I feel like it is catering more towards me. I'm just not interested in Luigi's Mansion, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Bravely Default, Mario Kart etc.

I guess I've been more interested in games like The Walking Dead, Hotline Miami, Guacamelee, etc. etc. 

Everyone always talks about the amazing 3DS lineup but mine sits collecting dust for the most part. I'm pretty confused by this since the DS was my go to that gen. So what is everyone playing? I'm seriously confused as to why it sells so well.

I loved 3D Land and RE: Revelations but it just doesn't have as much traction for me now. I guess I feel like the 3DS is mainly an RPG machine\1st party machine. I guess it doesn't help that much of Nintendo's 1st party stuff is seriously getting lost on me these days. I just feel as if I've been there done that.

Please realize this is my opinion, I'm not bashing the 3DS and seriously asking. I guess I'm just surprised the Vita is lagging behind it as well.

Well, you're sort of negating a huge swath of its library that has gone in that direction because of the way it has sold in Japan compared to the rest of the world, so there's not going to be a ton for you if that's what you don't want/enjoy. I know that SteamWorld Dig was my #3 game of last year and that was only on 3DS until they released it on PC late last year and sometime later this year on the PS4/Vita. Like the Vita, indies are becoming an increasingly bigger part of their appeal and lineup for the Western audience.

I have both a 3DS and Vita and play them both a lot with no hope of ever beating all of the games that I own for them, so they're both great for me. Lately I've been working on Luigi's Mansion 2, this weird Adventure Time clone of Zelda II, finishing up Puzzler World 2013, getting into Inazuma Eleven, trying to beat more of the indie stuff I have on there, work on some of the DS games I've been meaning to play, and play more of the VC stuff that I have like Metroid Fusion, Yoshi's Island GBA, and the millions of Zelda games that I have on there (Minish Cap, both Oracles, Link's Awakening, Oot 3D, Zelda and Zelda II, and Four Swords). 

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#7292 CzakJ

CzakJ

In your dreams, show no mercy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

In the terms of games for the 3DS are there any awesome games that aren't 1st party or niche JRPGs? For me personally I've had way more enjoyment out of the Vita because I feel like it is catering more towards me. I'm just not interested in Luigi's Mansion, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Bravely Default, Mario Kart etc.

I guess I've been more interested in games like The Walking Dead, Hotline Miami, Guacamelee, etc. etc. 

Everyone always talks about the amazing 3DS lineup but mine sits collecting dust for the most part. I'm pretty confused by this since the DS was my go to that gen. So what is everyone playing? I'm seriously confused as to why it sells so well.

I loved 3D Land and RE: Revelations but it just doesn't have as much traction for me now. I guess I feel like the 3DS is mainly an RPG machine\1st party machine. I guess it doesn't help that much of Nintendo's 1st party stuff is seriously getting lost on me these days. I just feel as if I've been there done that.

Please realize this is my opinion, I'm not bashing the 3DS and seriously asking. I guess I'm just surprised the Vita is lagging behind it as well.

I would disagree to a certain extent about the 3DS being the JRPG machine. I mean, you've got Bravely Default and DQ IX (DS game), but beyond those two, I'm having a hard time coming up with true JRPGs. 

Sure, there are tons of dungeon crawlers (SMT IV, the EO games) but I can't think of many traditional JRPGs. 

Really, I see the Vita as the true JRPG machine, thanks to its PSX/PSP history as well as P4G and the random assortment of indies. 

#7293 NeedleInTheHay

NeedleInTheHay

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

I have no clue what's wrong with your controller or PS3.  That sounds really unusual and frankly it's the first time I've ever heard that an individual game won't recognize a controller.  Have you tried other controllers, other games, or tried it plugged in?  It's not 3rd party is it?

It's the Sony brand DS3 that came with my system, it works perfect on every other game. In fact I just played a couple games of NHL 14 and it worked great as always.

It's my only controller besides the remote so I don't have any other controllers to try, but I don't think it matters cause like I said its the first time it ever happened after playing of dozens of different games with it. 

I just googled the issue and many others have had the exact same problem as me. It's a Metro problem and not a controller problem. 

Edited by NeedleInTheHay, 21 February 2014 - 10:27 PM.

#7294 mccurve85

mccurve85

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

It's the Sony brand DS3 that came with my system, it works perfect on every other game. In fact I just played a couple games of NHL 14 and it worked great as always.

It's my only controller besides the remote so I don't have any other controllers to try, but I don't think it matters cause like I said its the first time it ever happened after playing of dozens of different games with it.

I just googled the issue and many others have had the exact same problem as me. It's a Metro problem and not a controller problem.

You need to disconnect your PS3 Bluray remote. Should work then. Ran into the same bug myself. Just a bug that was never rectified by the Dev. Metro is worth it though
Stealing biscuits is...wrong?

#7295 simmias

simmias

Likely to be eaten by a grue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I just read something that said if you have something connected to slot 7 (which is what your remote probably connects to) that the controller might not be recognized.

Edit: Heh, ninja'd.

#7296 NeedleInTheHay

NeedleInTheHay

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

You need to disconnect your PS3 Bluray remote. Should work then. Ran into the same bug myself. Just a bug that was never rectified by the Dev. Metro is worth it though

I use the Blu remote constantly, is there a way to switch slots so they both stay connected? 

#7297 TopsideKracker

TopsideKracker

...doomy doomy doomy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

You all form quite an obtuse plethora.

TopsideKracker.png

#7298 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

#poppinpills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

You all form quite an obtuse plethora.

Thank you for getting back on topic!

Tyler hates me. 

Wrencrest.png

#7299 TopsideKracker

TopsideKracker

...doomy doomy doomy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Thank you for getting back on topic!

I'm acute like that.

TopsideKracker.png

#7300 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

Well, you're sort of negating a huge swath of its library that has gone in that direction because of the way it has sold in Japan compared to the rest of the world, so there's not going to be a ton for you if that's what you don't want/enjoy. I know that SteamWorld Dig was my #3 game of last year and that was only on 3DS until they released it on PC late last year and sometime later this year on the PS4/Vita. Like the Vita, indies are becoming an increasingly bigger part of their appeal and lineup for the Western audience.

I have both a 3DS and Vita and play them both a lot with no hope of ever beating all of the games that I own for them, so they're both great for me. Lately I've been working on Luigi's Mansion 2, this weird Adventure Time clone of Zelda II, finishing up Puzzler World 2013, getting into Inazuma Eleven, trying to beat more of the indie stuff I have on there, work on some of the DS games I've been meaning to play, and play more of the VC stuff that I have like Metroid Fusion, Yoshi's Island GBA, and the millions of Zelda games that I have on there (Minish Cap, both Oracles, Link's Awakening, Oot 3D, Zelda and Zelda II, and Four Swords). 

I admit that I am negating a good chunk of the library but even with Nintendo's newer titles they just feel largely similar to the titles that preceded them. I have almost all of the VC stuff you mentioned (Zeldas, Ambassador stuff) etc. and the problem is I've played those games.

It's just odd that people complain about the Vita and that you can get the same games on console I don't see much different from Mario Kart to Luigi's Mansion that I haven't really done before on a console. I'll give credit where credit is due...3D Land was absolutely amazing. 

I guess it's not a JRPG machine but an RPG machine in general as to which most of my love of RPGs dwindled down a long time ago. The last one I played that I truly enjoyed was Costume Quest.

I guess the thing that eerks me the most is when people talk about the 3DS they act as if it shits gold and when they talk about the Vita it's this sad sack of shit.

I guess I need to play the new Zelda, maybe that will breath some life into it for me.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#7301 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

I use the Blu remote constantly, is there a way to switch slots so they both stay connected? 

In-game, hold down the PS Button and there's a Reassign Controller option there that let's you change the input for that controller. On the XMB, it's Settings > Accessory Settings > Reassign Controllers. The remote should always be at 7 by default so it doesn't mess with the DS3.

#7302 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

I admit that I am negating a good chunk of the library but even with Nintendo's newer titles they just feel largely similar to the titles that preceded them. I have almost all of the VC stuff you mentioned (Zeldas, Ambassador stuff) etc. and the problem is I've played those games.

It's just odd that people complain about the Vita and that you can get the same games on console I don't see much different from Mario Kart to Luigi's Mansion that I haven't really done before on a console. I'll give credit where credit is due...3D Land was absolutely amazing. 

I guess it's not a JRPG machine but an RPG machine in general as to which most of my love of RPGs dwindled down a long time ago. The last one I played that I truly enjoyed was Costume Quest.

I guess the thing that eerks me the most is when people talk about the 3DS they act as if it shits gold and when they talk about the Vita it's this sad sack of shit.

I guess I need to play the new Zelda, maybe that will breath some life into it for me.

If somebody can't appreciate the great library that the Vita, or even 3DS, offers, then oh well, it's their loss. I'll keep enjoying them regardless.

#7303 NeedleInTheHay

NeedleInTheHay

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

In-game, hold down the PS Button and there's a Reassign Controller option there that let's you change the input for that controller. On the XMB, it's Settings > Accessory Settings > Reassign Controllers. The remote should always be at 7 by default so it doesn't mess with the DS3.

Thanks!

Well my Blu was already assigned to 7 and I checked my DS3 and that was assigned to 1 and Metro still won't work.

So it looks like you would have to disconnect the Blu completely like the other guy said for Metro to work, It honestly doesn't seem worth the hassle to me to have my Blu disconnected just to play it, Thankfully I got Metro free at least. 

#7304 Stellar Inertia

Stellar Inertia

Completionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Easy difficulty is for scrubs. Right Jay?

512847.png

#7305 jshendel

jshendel

4 8 15 16 23 42

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

I play games on easy just to get through the game so I can move on to the next game. The busy life of being a parent doesn't give me a lot of game time. I don't have the time to replay a level over and over because I keep dying.

jshendel.png

#7306 Stellar Inertia

Stellar Inertia

Completionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

Most games aren't that hard even on hard difficulty. Sure every once in a while you die quite a bit on hard difficulty, but for the most part hard difficulty is easy.

512847.png

#7307 GlassDarkly

GlassDarkly

The Boney King of Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

on the subject of Bluray remotes for the PS3, anyone know how to open one? The left input button stopped working, and I want to open up and see if I can fix it, but I have no idea how to open it.

My website.

#7308 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

#poppinpills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

Most games aren't that hard even on hard difficulty. Sure every once in a while you die quite a bit on hard difficulty but for the most part hard difficulty is easy.

um. Okay?

Tyler hates me. 

Wrencrest.png

#7309 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

Thanks!

Well my Blu was already assigned to 7 and I checked my DS3 and that was assigned to 1 and Metro still won't work.

So it looks like you would have to disconnect the Blu completely like the other guy said for Metro to work, It honestly doesn't seem worth the hassle to me to have my Blu disconnected just to play it, Thankfully I got Metro free at least.

Can't you just turn the remote off? I don't get the issue.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#7310 Investor9872

Investor9872

CAG Supremo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:29 AM

Quick question on cross-save games guys.  I platinum Hotline Miami on my PS3 and saved it to cloud months ago.  I just got my Vita this week, and when I booted up Hotline Miami on my Vita and then hit the Plus symbol within the game, I only see the option to "upload" the Vita's game save while the "download" button is greyed out.  I thought that you can download the gamesave from the PS3, and another platinum for the game will pop for the Vita as well?

<p>Gamefly PS3 chipped discs. Click on more pictures below to enlarge them.
Investor9872.png

#7311 Not Eric

Not Eric

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:35 AM

Is it an upload or a sync option? And when you say you uploaded the PS3 save to the cloud, do you mean your PS+ online save storage or through the game itself?

Edit: I think I see the confusion now. You don't want to use the PS+ upload/download save feature. There should be an option in the game to sync save files.

NotRic.png

#7312 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

You're probably being intentionally obtuse here, but the grammar Nazi in me still necessitates that I post that acute means sharp, shrewd, and on-the-button.

You're right, that is a perfectly cromulent use of the term.

#7313 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

If you like Moon you should really check out The Swapper. It's only on PC, but has a lot of the same elements that made Moon great (reminded me a great deal of it) and was quite possibly my GOTY last year. Also you can currently get it for $1 in the Humble Indie Bundle 11 (or PM me, I have an extra and want to share).

Don't fall for it. He once dazzled me with the promise of $1 games and after it was all done, I was $100 poorer and had to take a trip to the local walk-in clinic.

MattNY.png

#7314 rpg

rpg

Timezone Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Quick question on cross-save games guys.  I platinum Hotline Miami on my PS3 and saved it to cloud months ago.

I just got my Vita this I thought that you can download the gamesave from the PS3, and another platinum for the game will pop for the Vita as well?

1 platinum, shared trophy list.

davey.gif   2014 Completed Games           platdance.gif           Fibbage  $0.58 (PS3) Deus Ex:Director's Cut $1.50

rpg49ers.png1065017-1406748756.gif

insane.gifbe back next year and win the chipinsane.gif

#7315 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Quick question on cross-save games guys.  I platinum Hotline Miami on my PS3 and saved it to cloud months ago.  I just got my Vita this week, and when I booted up Hotline Miami on my Vita and then hit the Plus symbol within the game, I only see the option to "upload" the Vita's game save while the "download" button is greyed out.  I thought that you can download the gamesave from the PS3, and another platinum for the game will pop for the Vita as well?

You need to start up the game on the PS3 and sync the save in-game, then do the same on the Vita version.

#7316 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

Most games aren't that hard even on hard difficulty. Sure every once in a while you die quite a bit on hard difficulty, but for the most part hard difficulty is easy.

like a boss

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#7317 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Munky blows goats. I have proof.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

There's only a couple games that have cross save and separate trophy lists for each version that sync up when sharing save data. The two I know are Sound Shapes and Sly 4.  The upcoming Velocity Ultra 2X supposedly has it as well.  There may be more, I'm not sure.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#7318 Investor9872

Investor9872

CAG Supremo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Frisky.  I'm redownloading it on the PS3 now to give that a try.  The "syn now" option on the Vita didn't work, of course, since I can only play the Prelude.  Do I do the same thing for Sound and Shapes and Zombie Tycoon 2?  I don't see a syn option in Sound and Shapes at all.  Thanks.

You need to start up the game on the PS3 and sync the save in-game, then do the same on the Vita version.

<p>Gamefly PS3 chipped discs. Click on more pictures below to enlarge them.
Investor9872.png

#7319 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

There's only a couple games that have cross save and separate trophy lists for each version that sync up when sharing save data. The two I know are Sound Shapes and Sly 4.  The upcoming Velocity Ultra 2X supposedly has it as well.  There may be more, I'm not sure.

MLB 12 The Show and MLB 13 The Show also do that.

#7320 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:10 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Frisky.  I'm redownloading it on the PS3 now to give that a try.  The "syn now" option on the Vita didn't work, of course, since I can only play the Prelude.  Do I do the same thing for Sound and Shapes and Zombie Tycoon 2?  I don't see a syn option in Sound and Shapes at all.  Thanks.

It's under the options menu, which should be the same for most Cross Save games.