• Please log in to reply
696 replies to this topic

#391 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:10 AM

I was there also!

What did you think of it?  It was my first PAX and I had fun all 3 days, but next year I'll probably just go one day.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#392 GuyWithGun

GuyWithGun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

It doesn't embed if you're on the mobile site.

Not on the mobile site.  Just doesn't like me, I guess.

Posted Image

Thanks to Tiphireth for the help and modium for the pics.

#393 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

What did you think of it? It was my first PAX and I had fun all 3 days, but next year I'll probably just go one day.

I don't see how anyone can go just one day if they can help it since if you want to see any of the non-Indy games you have 1-4 hour lines on the show floor. Even some of the big indies had 1-2 hour lines.

Tried to make Saturday my show floor day but going to one panel in the middle meant I didn't get to see many games.

Went mainly to panels, 8 of them, and just walked around admiring the cosplay, etc. Wish I had known Mark Meer (BroShep) had bailed at the last minute so I would have gone to Gearbox's panel Sunday morning & gotten a free copy of the new game this fall.

(Previously went to PAX Prime 09 & PAX East 10)

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#394 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Happy Easter!

#395 youinreverse

youinreverse

...used to be Bioshocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:33 AM

tumbleweed.gif

#396 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Will add you on amazon today. Totally blanked on it. Been a long week.

Posted Image

#397 youinreverse

youinreverse

...used to be Bioshocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Will add you on amazon today. Totally blanked on it. Been a long week.

Cool, thanks!

#398 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

So this is awesome: http://gizmodo.com/h...rime-1566504724

#399 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

As someone too lazy to access the Comcast account to get the confirmation to access HBO Go, this is pretty cool news.  Also cool for my mom, who can now watch some HBO stuff on her Roku, since Comcast sucks dick and doesn't allow HBO Go on Roku.

Definitely want the watch The Wire, Flight of the Conchords, and the end of Eastbound and Down now.

#400 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

Hey guys let's get the ott going again!

#401 GuyWithGun

GuyWithGun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

Got a free equipment upgrade from my satellite provider today.  Much better technology, DVR 5 shows at once with a ton more space to record.  Only have had a couple conflicts but I've missed an entire series of a show this past season because of a 1-minutes scheduling conflict, all because the network wanted to technically have the show end at 9:01pm instead of 9:00pm.

And since the had to get into the crawl space I took the opportunity to finally rewire my internet so that the connection comes through the living room instead of the far back bedroom.  Connection is much faster now, and I went ahead and hardlined my PS3 to kill as much lag as possible.

Posted Image

#402 wwe101

wwe101

waiting for hitman 5

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

Go to college they said....you will get a job they said.....graduating next week, where the Fuck is my job?
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
Mark Twain

http://t2.gstatic.co...8ymsP7Xj6V0L8o=

#403 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:41 AM

Go to college they said....you will get a job they said.....graduating next week, where the Fuck is my job?

I hear you, although I blame myself for getting a liberal arts degree.  Grad school it is.

#404 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Getting a liberal arts degree is a bad decision. I know.

#405 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

I agree. Its a waste.

I regret not just becoming an electrician or a plumber. Maybe an HVAC guy.

Posted Image

#406 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

I have a degree in Medical Technology (Medical Laboratory or Clinical Lab Science).. It's good for exactly one thing. Working in a medical lab. At least with a generic degree I could have other employment oppurtunities avaliable.

I'll be in Iowa over the next 3 days. Can't imagine I'll find much to do.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#407 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:32 AM

Getting a liberal arts degree is a bad decision. I know.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not, since I know you're still in academia... I don't think lib arts degrees are guaranteed wastes, but I do think you have to really have a *passion* for whatever field you're getting into.  For myself, I know I'm certainly not so interested in anthropology that I want to go do field research, earn my Ph.D, and work at a university publishing/writing grants forever.  I kind of wish I had realized that was the end game for so many lib arts fields when I got myself into this, although that blame really lies with me.

#408 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

I can't sleep and will probably call in sick tomorrow.

Posted Image

#409 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not, since I know you're still in academia... I don't think lib arts degrees are guaranteed wastes, but I do think you have to really have a *passion* for whatever field you're getting into.  For myself, I know I'm certainly not so interested in anthropology that I want to go do field research, earn my Ph.D, and work at a university publishing/writing grants forever.  I kind of wish I had realized that was the end game for so many lib arts fields when I got myself into this, although that blame really lies with me.

I'm being totally serious. I'm on my second year of being on the job market and have had one interview. There are over 300 applicants per job. I love history, but I'm sure that I would have loved something else, too. Passion isn't enough. In fact, "passion" can lead down a long road where you accept shitty work and shitty pay to follow your dreams. My advice for anyone wanting a PhD in the humanities is to get out while you can.

#410 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Colleges really should inform you of what your job prospects and earning potential are before you sign up for a degree program.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#411 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

I agree with that, although it's the students responsibility, too. I didn't know what I was getting into. I blame no one but myself.

#412 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Finance degree here 2 years out of school. Have a decent job but it took a year and half to get it...so I can relate.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#413 GuyWithGun

GuyWithGun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

There are a lot of jobs out there that just look for any degree, disregarding if it's in a specific field.  Obviously if it's related that's better.  I agree following your dreams and passions can lead to shitty work/shitty pay but it can be much more rewarding.

A lot of people don't realize that the application process just to get a job can take a looong time too.  Many think that they'll go from college, have their last summer vacation, then start work the next fall.  But you have to have your degree before you can put it on your resume, and they'll require transcripts, etc, which you can't have until after graduation.  And I applied for many jobs where the process took almost a year or more.  I got a job just while waiting on the application process for the other jobs that I really wanted.

I also think guidance counselors should be more useful (the ones I had sucked).  Like you guys said above, I was in a similar situation where I thought I would be lined up nicely with my current track for a job, only to realize too late that that one prospect didn't hire hardly anyone with the degree I was going for.  (Worked out in the long term since I'm better off now, but would have been nice to realize what my prospects were actually going to be going in).  But, I agree, it is the student's responsibility, aka my own fault.

Posted Image

#414 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:55 PM

These minigames in AC III are such bullshit. Bowls can eat my ass.

pitfall_harry219.png

#415 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:08 PM

ACIII is full blown AIDS.  Skip it and play Black Flag.

#416 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. I lowered my expectations when I started it, seeing as just about every opinion I've read on the internet is that it sucks. It's not as good as II or Brotherhood, but I think I like it more than Revelations and the first one. I'll see where it ranks once I finish it. Ezio was so much better than Connor, though.

I have Black Flag in the backlog.

pitfall_harry219.png

#417 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:02 AM

New Unreal Tournament needs to be more like 2k4 and less like 3. I hope it won't suck, but not holding my breath.

Posted Image

#418 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. I lowered my expectations when I started it, seeing as just about every opinion I've read on the internet is that it sucks. It's not as good as II or Brotherhood, but I think I like it more than Revelations and the first one. I'll see where it ranks once I finish it. Ezio was so much better than Connor, though.

I have Black Flag in the backlog.

You are the only person who I've ever read say that they enjoyed it.

#419 GuyWithGun

GuyWithGun

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

I know many people that enjoyed ACIII, including myself.

As I said in the ACIII thread, it did feel like a big stray from the others, especially with the new control system.  But I didn't feel like it was a bad game, just different from the others.

These minigames in AC III are such bullshit. Bowls can eat my ass.

I hated some of the board games and such against the hardest players that were required for trophies.  I found a workaround for those, though.

Posted Image

#420 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

I'm trying to get past this incredibly long intro in ACIII, which feels like they saw good response to how they started ACII and went even further in that direction by showing what Connor's father was up to before he was born. I've heard that their resolution to what happened at the end of ACII was not as good as it should've been after dicking around with Desmond's story for the two prior games to let them make more games just about Ezio.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki