rpg thread

• Please log in to reply
943 replies to this topic

#571 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

I'm preparing my anus for Dark Souls II.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#572 Armymond

Armymond

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

Xillia is fun, though I prefer Graces f in terms of PS3 Tales games. 

Xillia is fantastic. It's the game that got me back into the Tales series. I think the storytelling was fantastic. Graces on the other hand was just boring in comparison. Well, outside of combat. Seriously, Graces has the best combat system in the whole series.

#573 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

I'm preparing my anus for Dark Souls II.

I'm having so much fun with it.  No other game captures that sense of exploration for me.  While I'm at work I'm always thinking about where I want to try to go next and which paths I haven't tried yet.  It's so hard to sit in front of a computer all day and avoid spoilers!

#574 phantomphoenix

phantomphoenix

Make It Loud!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

With Dark Souls II or your anus? Or his anus?

#575 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:16 AM

With Dark Souls II or your anus? Or his anus?

You know.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 8/15/14   Shovel Knight      |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is OUT NOW! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#576 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:04 AM

So, maybe I can get some help here. I dunno. I got my copy of FFX/X-2 HD and when I went to play the game, it booted up normally, but once I selected FFX it hit me with a prompt that said "Trophy Installation Failed" or something along those lines. Troubleshooting shows that deleting the profile and doing a reformat should fix the problem, but it didn't. So, uh, yeah. I dunno if this is a problem with my PS3 or with the game.

Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#577 r3galbum

r3galbum

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

I heard that if you turn off auto-save upload, it works

#578 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:14 AM

Xillia is fantastic. It's the game that got me back into the Tales series. I think the storytelling was fantastic. Graces on the other hand was just boring in comparison. Well, outside of combat. Seriously, Graces has the best combat system in the whole series.

I often hear about how much people really liked Graces. I played for about 12 hours and found it incredibly boring, both story and battles. I liked a few of the characters but not enough to keep me going. I was told the battles get more in depth but I must have quit before it got to that point.

Could you guys explain why you liked Graces so much? I'm not fishing for an argument I'm just curious as it might re-spark interest for me.

I've played most games in the series, Vesperia & Abyss being tied for my favorite. I really couldn't pick one over the other. Xillia was good but I missed some of the traditional JRPG staples.

#579 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:41 AM

I heard that if you turn off auto-save upload, it works

It's off. And still not working. There is a reddit thread with a few users who are having the same issue.

Posted Image

#580 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:47 AM

Could you guys explain why you liked Graces so much? I'm not fishing for an argument I'm just curious as it might re-spark interest for me.

For me, it was 99% the battles. Until ƒ. Then it was probably 70% battles, and 30% skits.

If you don't  like the battles, there's not much else to say. However, the battle system is relatively deep, bordering on an easy fighting game. You can use up your movement dashing forward, get them back dodging and "parrying" (I forgot what dashing forward to deflect an attack was called), circle around mobs, combo a ton of hits, etc. I enjoyed it a lot even on my second playthrough of Chaos mode because of it. There's a lot of timing involved, so it's like a QTE with various choices, or a rhythm game, or like an easy aforementioned fighting game.

#581 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

I often hear about how much people really liked Graces. I played for about 12 hours and found it incredibly boring, both story and battles. I liked a few of the characters but not enough to keep me going. I was told the battles get more in depth but I must have quit before it got to that point.

I've played most games in the series, Vesperia & Abyss being tied for my favorite. I really couldn't pick one over the other. Xillia was good but I missed some of the traditional JRPG staples.

I think it picks up as you get going (I think I spent over 60 hours on it if you count the epilogue stuff so 12 hours is only a small chunk), but the battle system is definitely the highlight. Tales games are basically like gaming comfort food for me, you pretty much know what you are getting but it's still real enjoyable. I'd still rank Vesperia & Xillia better though.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#582 Armymond

Armymond

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

It's all about the battles and Pascal. I played on the hardest difficulty which forced me to be very knowledgeable about party structure, strategy, and the battle mechanics. I recommend raising the difficulty if you are finding the combat to be lackluster, but trust me, once the challenge hits, you'll become an expert at combat because you'll have no other choice. While the combat system seems deep, you can get the hang of it with time, though it depends if you want to master playing as the other characters.

Speaking of which, the characters are pretty good. Unfortunately, they are placed in a pretty boring story, but once the credits rolled, I genuinely felt sad that the journey with the cast was over. In all honesty though, Pascal's behavior was the most exciting part of the story for me.

#583 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?! I was on the eshop purchasing Yumi's Odd Odyssey,

only to discover that this exists:

is it an RPG?!?!?!

omg I dont care I frikken need $15 now!!!

#584 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

I think it's an environmental puzzle game? I love MCoG, but have heard mixed things about this game. It's on sale on Steam right now if you want to let us know how it is ;) - http://store.steampo...com/app/261940/

Speaking of RPG-looking things that aren't RPGs, should I get the 360 version of P4 Arena or the PS3 one? Note that I don't have a PS3 right now, but am definitely going to get one sometime.

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#585 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

Speaking of RPG-looking things that aren't RPGs, should I get the 360 version of P4 Arena or the PS3 one? Note that I don't have a PS3 right now, but am definitely going to get one sometime.

I would hold off until the suplex update comes out just so you know which one to get if any.

Every day's great at your Junes!

#586 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:13 AM

I would hold off until the suplex update comes out just so you know which one to get if any.

So Suplex is a Street Fighter-style updated version and not a sequel? Didn't know that; thanks.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#587 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

good news! I'm ready to play Bravely Default again!!

but if none of my friends list are playing anymore then I really needa be conservative and save the attacks they sent me lol.

bad news! I've done an absolutely terrible job celebrating the Year of the Saturn

:cry:

#yearoftheSaturn

#588 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

So I started Etrian Odyssey IV last night. (Mainly because I forgot to charge my Vita and continue Galaxy Rush).

I set it to Normal, made a party, and then started the first quest. Uh.....There's no map on the bottom screen? Or is that just a reward for the first quest?

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#589 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

So I started Etrian Odyssey IV last night. (Mainly because I forgot to charge my Vita and continue Galaxy Rush).
I set it to Normal, made a party, and then started the first quest. Uh.....There's no map on the bottom screen? Or is that just a reward for the first quest?

It's been awhile, but I think a soldier or some other NPC gives you the mapmaking stuff early on?

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#590 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

bad news! I've done an absolutely terrible job celebrating the Year of the Saturn

:cry:

#yearoftheSaturn

I hooked up my old V-Saturn a couple weeks ago. Only played a few import fighters and the Street Fighter: The Movie game just for laughs. I remember getting really far in Dragon Force a few years back. I put it on hold for several months then when I went back to it I must've saved in the middle of a difficult battle. I kept getting killed. Lost my drive to play after that. If I start it up again I'll have to do it from scratch.

#591 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

So Suplex is a Street Fighter-style updated version and not a sequel? Didn't know that; thanks.

If you care about the story, it's totally a sequel from what I understand.

And you should care about the story.

So you should play the first one.

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#592 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

Did a quick search and it seems you're right. Still have to decide on the platform, though...
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#593 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Expert Sphere Grid in FFX HD looks like a lot of fun. Not sure what my game plan is!

#594 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

I just made it to Macalania temple in FFX HDR. The expert sphere grid is pretty damn awesome. You can turn Kimahri into a freakin' beast with it.

Posted Image

#595 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

So does it make the game even more broken?

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#596 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

I just made it to Macalania temple in FFX HDR. The expert sphere grid is pretty damn awesome. You can turn Kimahri into a freakin' beast with it.

But Kimahri is a beast?

#597 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

But what if they pull a Dissidia and put the first game in the second game?!

Every day's great at your Junes!

#598 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

It's too late, I ended up ordering a 360 copy yesterday. Atlus has made me double-dip before, so if they pull a Dissidia, then whatever, I can deal :razz:
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#599 Indignate

Indignate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

But what if they pull a Dissidia and put the first game in the second game?!

But in that case you have to experience the story out of order even though it is in order so confusing.

I play bad games

I don't like Godzilla.

#600 Chizu

Chizu

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

My second PS3 is showing up tomorrow (since the first one didn't work), so I can finally get to Final Fantasy X