Genesis

gbpxl

CAGiversary!
Is anyone here a Genesis fan? I could never find that many games I liked for it, outside of the Sonic games, Streets of Rage 2 and 3, OutRun, Pitfall, Road Rash series, Ecco 1, Boogerman, that's about it.

I was never crazy about ToeJam and Earl. never got into Shining Force. was never big on sports games outside of golf and baseball games. never liked Gunstar Heroes, Columns

what are some good games? maybe I just havent played em yet.

If you like Road Rash, you'll probably like Skitchin.  It's a roller skating version of Road Rash.  There's also games on SNES that were on both, but you didn't mention, so I'll throw out Zombies Ate My Neighbors.  Golden Axe games were awesome.  Castle of Illusion and Quackshot are worth a try.  Aladdin, Ghouls n Ghosts, and Rocket Knight Adventures. 

I traded my Sega Genesis for my nephew's Super Nintendo. Wish I purchased a genesis again, but I have yet to jump at the occasion. One of these days I'll get another genesis. :D 

I grew up with the Genesis. It's the first system I played on when I was five. First game was which ever sonic came bundled with the not for resale version of genesis model 2.

Games I grew up playing before entering the PS1/N64 era were

6-Pak

Ms. Pac man

Street fighter

Aladdin

I just recently acquired a genesis model 2 along with sonic the hedgehog, Altered beast, streets of rage two and one wired and two wireless Sega controllers for $15

Funny thing is at my dads house I have the original box and inserts to a model 2 from when I owned it has a kid.

Now I am looking to get into all the niche games I missed out on.

Now I am looking to get into all the niche games I missed out on.
Then let me offer a few suggestions.

Ranger X: A strange but fascinating platformer/shooter. While this can be played with the standard 3-button Genesis controller, it really shines when you play it with the six-button model. The gameplay is smooth, and the visual presentation is excellent. Definitely worth trying. Shouldn't be that hard to find cheap either.

The Ooze: A bizarre little game by Sega's A-team. One of their least known efforts, but well worth a try.

Comix Zone: Much better known, but still worthwhile. Beware, this one is wicked hard, and will require a decent amount of patience to get very far.

General Chaos: A strange type of real-time-strategy game. It was one of the games for the Genesis to best utilize 4-person multiplayer. Get three friends together and this game is a blast for an afternoon.

Genesis was my first system I remember owning, supposedly me and my sister had an Atari but I was too young to remember that.

Some of my favorites are Aladdin, lion king, sonic 1-3 & knuckles, jurassic park, columns (love the music), toe jam 1, tiny toon sports, cool spot and there's a bunch of others

Castlevania: Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Gunstar Heroes, MUSHA, Ranger-X, Rocket Knight Adventures, Shinobi III - Return of the Ninja Master, Sparkster, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist... all good games I would recommend. 

Strider is another good game, ported from arcades... but I remember it being kind of slow for some reason.  Gargoyles I remember enjoying too (odd, for a non-Capcom/Konami licensed game).  Samurai Shodown has a better ported version for the Genesis than the SNES, as well.

There are some instances where the SNES version of a game was clearly superior to the Genesis version. The example I usually point to for this is Alien 3.

There are other instances where the two versions are different but both good. A common example for that would be Aladdin.

But as usual, some of the best games for the Genesis are the console exclusives. The Genesis got a decent number of exclusives. It particularly got a pretty high number of experimental games. The Genesis managed to accrue a respectable following in Europe, and attracted a decent number of capable European developers as a result.

If you're into RPGs I would highly recommend Phantasy Star IV. Remains one of my favorite games to this day.

I remember "Beyond Oasis" being really good.  I just picked up some Genesis Collection on disc for Xbox (can't remember the name) that has it on there.  We'll see how dated it is - but I remember it being a fun Zelda-rip-off sort of game.  Another one I played was Flashback, but that was also on the computer.  Now that I think about it, it was just rereleased on Xbox Live.  Once that Retron 5 comes out, I'll be restocking up on some old games.  Can't wait!

I remember "Beyond Oasis" being really good. I just picked up some Genesis Collection on disc for Xbox (can't remember the name) that has it on there. We'll see how dated it is - but I remember it being a fun Zelda-rip-off sort of game. Another one I played was Flashback, but that was also on the computer. Now that I think about it, it was just rereleased on Xbox Live. Once that Retron 5 comes out, I'll be restocking up on some old games. Can't wait!
I had no idea there was an Xbox collection from Sega (unless you mean the Xbox 360 specifically???).

He's probably referring to the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection that was released for the XBox 360 and PS3. And if you're just looking to try out some classic Genesis titles, I can recommend that collection. It has a few gaps in terms of selection, but still boasts an impressive range of titles. (including playable copies of Phantasy Star I-IV) It can currently be found for either system for $20 or below, new or used. At that price it is easy to recommend for some quick and inexpensive Genesis nostalgia.

Thanks Richard. That's exactly the collection I was referring to. It's an easy and inexpemsive way to take a trip in the way back machine. Lots of fun too.

Thanks.  I figured as much, but I was just thinking that there might be some collection on the original Xbox I didn't yet know about.   I have both of the Capcom Classic Collections, MegaMan Anniversary Collection, Namco Museum 50th Anniversary Edition, Sonic Mega Collection +Plus, Taito Legends and Tecmo Classic Arcade for the original Xbox.

I do have Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the PS3, though.   ;)

here are the best genesis games I own

Lightening Force

Thunderforce III

Contra Hard Corps

TMNT: Hyperstone Heist

Castlevania: Bloodlines

Streets of Rage 2

Golden Axe 2

Mega Bomberman

Truxton

Shinobi III

Shadow Dancer: Secret of Shinobi

Toe Jam & Earl I & II

Splatterhouse 2 & 3

Mortal Kombat (orig)

Gaiares

Gunstar Heroes

Ghouls N' Ghosts

Shining Force 2

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles

Forgotten Worlds

Ranger X

Captain America and The Avengers

Aladdin

Lost Vikings

Mazin Fighter Mutant Saga

Herzog Zwei

games I plan on buying / recommend:

Musha

Rocket Knight Adventures

Comix Zone

Earthworm Jim

Gargoyles 

Mutant League Hockey/Football

Haunting

The Immortal

General Chaos

Joe Montana Sports Talk Football '94

Dynamite Heddy

Wonderboy in Monster World

some great games here for sure!

but i am slightly saddened that nobody mentioned Decapattack. that game is awesome.

yes, mutant league football is great. so is mutant league hockey, but not as much. my dad and i used to play the football one all the time.

i highly reccomend Growl. it sucks that the genesis port didnt have multiplayer like the arcade, but nevertheless it is a blast of a game. such a crazy plot to it for an older game too.

other games of note

toki going ape spit
kid chameleon
gaires
insector-x
phelios
the immortal
chakan the forever man
maximum carnage
musha (good luck finding a copy lol)
shadowrun (!)

i could list 200 games more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen anyone list it yet but Pulseman is a great game. Made by Game Freak before Pokemon. It never came out in the states but I think you can pick it up on the Virtual Console.

And Rocket Knight Adventures is one of the best 2D platformers you can find. It's the perfect blend of difficulty and gameplay.

I made a retro game run over the weekend, and managed to pick up copies of Insector-X, and Bio Hazard Battle. I'm looking forward to trying these classic shmups out.

I picking up an Alien Soldier reproduction cart regionalized for us systems this weekend

I've always wanted to play it.. Should be fun

Lightening Force

Thunderforce III

Contra Hard Corps

Streets of Rage 2

Golden Axe 2

Mega Bomberman

Truxton

Shinobi III

Toe Jam & Earl I & II

Splatterhouse 2 & 3

Mortal Kombat (orig)

Gaiares

Gunstar Heroes

Ghouls N' Ghosts

Shining Force 2

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles

Forgotten Worlds

Ranger X

Aladdin

Lost Vikings

Herzog Zwei

Musha

Rocket Knight Adventures

Comix Zone

Earthworm Jim

Gargoyles

Haunting

The Immortal

General Chaos

Dynamite Heddy

This guy has pretty much got most of the good ones.

A few I would add although pricey include

Crusader of Centy (Pretty good Zelda clone)

Phantasy Star II, III, IV

Mega Turrican

Grindstormer

Arrow Flash

Burning Force

Wings of Wor

Fire Shark

I'll admit that I am a Shmup fan and RPG fan so that is mostly what I enjoy on the system and it has a lot of shmup's if you really dig into it's library. Definitely would recommend MUSHA although the price will definitely be a turnoff for many as it is with a lot of what I listed above.

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday - A complete remake of SSI's Gold Box PC RPG. It was ahead of its time, with the ability to complete even the major story missions in your preferred order, as well as choose your own path within them. I've never seen another turn-based RPG successfully combine both space and on-foot combat, which is a big deal for a sci-fi fan like myself. Also, that first mission after the prologue... just brilliant.

For the Genesis, this would be the one game I'd keep if I had to choose.

Just wanted to mention that since it's extremely obscure.

Edit: Actually, let me add a couple more, both PC ports/remakes.

Starflight - A remake of the PC space adventure game. Create a crew and explore the galaxy, gathering resources and interacting with alien races both familiar and previously unencountered. This game was pretty big. I actually never got very far, though. I stopped when I learned of the fan crafted sequel (which I've yet to play, ironically). Anyway, another game well ahead of its time and also a source of inspiration for the Mass Effect designers.

Star Control - A port of a PC space strategy game. A number of mini-campaigns to play through using a variety of different ships that fight in real time during actual encounters. I'm having trouble remembering this one clearly, but it, too, has had a sequel, which was later remade by devoted fans into The Ur-Quan Masters.

My favorites were Aladdin, Eternal Champions, Altered Beast, anything Sonic (obviously), Comix Zone, and the Earthworm Jim games. Comix Zone is a classic I wish they would consider remaking with modern comic book licensing.

Great console.

Lightening Force

Thunderforce III

Contra Hard Corps

Streets of Rage 2

Golden Axe 2

Mega Bomberman

Truxton

Shinobi III

Toe Jam & Earl I & II

Splatterhouse 2 & 3

Mortal Kombat (orig)

Gaiares

Gunstar Heroes

Ghouls N' Ghosts

Shining Force 2

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles

Forgotten Worlds

Ranger X

Aladdin

Lost Vikings

Herzog Zwei

Musha

Rocket Knight Adventures

Comix Zone

Earthworm Jim

Gargoyles

Haunting

The Immortal

General Chaos

Dynamite Heddy

Yes to this entire list. This saves me from having to type one out as all of my favorites are in this one.

One thing Genesis does what Nintendon't,  not break the bank in regards to first party games. For the Amazon price of 1 Super Mario World, you can get Sonic 1-3.

I just recently scored a bunch of games from Ebay and a local flea market.
Streets of Rage 2 CIB for $8.99

TMNT the Hyperstone Heist with every Mortal Kombat game for $45 (I bought them on ebay, and was only really interested in TMNT, but for that price I couldn't resist)

Mickey Mouse Castle and World of Illusion for $25 for both (both CIB)

Not Genesis, but I found Super Castlevania IV for $20 too. 

About two weeks ago, I came across my case for TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist from Gamestop when I bought it in 2004 with the $4.99 sticker still on the cover. How times have changed in the last 10 years. 

Cyborg Justice,  side-scrolling beat'em up with robots.
Spider-Man and Venom: Separation Anxiety,  side-scrolling beat'em up with your friendly neighborhood spider.
Scooby-Doo Mystery,  graphic adventure game with Shaggy and Scooby.

some of my personal favorites are:

shadowrun (my all-time favorite game, any console)

fire shark

zombies ate my neighbors

toe jam & earl

tmnt hyperstone heist

streets of rage

jungle strike

ghostbusters

I had a Genesis. I played mostly:

Sonic series
NHL (... name the year)
Streets of Rage II
Road Rash 2
Earthworm Jim
NBA Jam
X-Men 2
Echo
MK2
Street Fighter 2

Of those my top three favorites would be:

1. Sonic 2
2. Road Rash 2
3. Streets of Rage 2

The system had lots of great games although I'd have to give the SNES the edge due to Mario and Square games.

I loved my genesis, so much that i even kept it along with my sega cd. in fact i just broke it out today hoping to play it, but of course i didnt save the AV cable, but i did save a copy of night trap(i used to love that game).

4782e47b-f365-473a-b5e8-95764ab1b35f_zpse87e2321.jpg

That's freaking awesome!!! I've been wanting to get a Sega CD lately, and it's seriously a chore to find a working unit without overpaying. 

That's freaking awesome!!! I've been wanting to get a Sega CD lately, and it's seriously a chore to find a working unit without overpaying.
yeah ive been collecting all the retro systems i used to have just in the last week or so. i just got a tg-16+cd and a dreamcast(1st time owning one) this weekend. and this week im getting a sega saturn and n64.

Kid Chameleon, Rocket Knight Adventures, Splatterhouse and TMNT: Hyperstone Heist are my favorites.

bread's done
Back