Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

• Please log in to reply
1217 replies to this topic

#1 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

I guess I'll start this thread for the year after all, post whatever you find at your local thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, and the like).  Video game related or not, if it's a good deal, go ahead and share it with the CAG community.

I might go through the old 2013 thread sometime and catalog the best scores and update this post just for fun, we'll see who "won" at thrifting for that year.

Off the top of my head, I remember a boxed Sega CDX for around $40, a complete copy of Suikoden II for $3, and a few awesome PS1 and SNES lots.  Of course let's not forget about the Stadium Events game as well (that find is in a class of itself), though I don't think that was someone on CAG.  I'll update the right information when I find it.

Top Finds from the 2013 Thread (in no particular order):

Spoiler

** If I'm missing a great find, just let me know, though I'll update this when I have time **

As for 2014, yesterday I stopped by a local church operated thrift store, which doesn't get much rotation, but the prices are yard sale types.  Picked up a copy of Blokus that I've always wanted to give a shot for a buck.

#2 eulogywerd21

eulogywerd21

APPLAUSE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Went to a Methodist thrift store the day after New Years and bought some pants. Went home, put them on, stuck my hand into the pocket and guess what was in there? 

Spoiler
so that was cool.

Still, a pretty great find imho though.

jkimrey: Do it man! It's a steam key - one place for all your games. Plus, you gotta catch 'em all.

#3 dodgeme

dodgeme

Shadow the Hedgehog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Completely forgot about this thread last year. This was easily my best find last year though.

zLdAePZ.jpg?1

Bunch of old C64 games. Cost $2.99 each and Wasteland had been easily selling for $100+ on ebay when I sold it. Seems to have cooled off a bit now.

Posted Image

#4 strawyleader997

strawyleader997

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

I paid $10 for the gamecube with GB player and component cable.

#5 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Havent found much videogame stuff lately but I grabbed this for $11.32 after tax. $145 on Amazon.

IMAG1333_zpsh1pvwjlf.jpg

http://mbsy.co/lootcrate/8401525 Loot Crate (Get boxes of tech/gamer/nerd stuff delievered every month)

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg== Earn Cash Back on shopping sites

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards for running an app

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#6 TheGeonaut

TheGeonaut

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

** If I'm missing a great find, just let me know, though I'll update this when I have time **

I don't usually toot my own horn but I did find Guardian Heroes (Saturn) and Popful Mail (Sega CD) (both complete) at a library for $1 total. 

#7 247

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

Found a few Guitar Hero controllers today, all for the wii. 2 have non working whammy bars, other 2 work fine. Paid $6 for 1 and $9 for 3 at a different store. Also grabbed 2 drum pedals for $3 each and a ps3 drum set for $10. Going to test the drum set tomorrow but it looks in very good condition, might actually keep it.

#8 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

I don't usually toot my own horn but I did find Guardian Heroes (Saturn) and Popful Mail (Sega CD) (both complete) at a library for $1 total. 

I forgot about that one, definitely worth adding to the list.  It's rare to find any complete Sega CD or Saturn game in the wild, and the fact that you found them in a library was even more bizarre.

#9 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

Today, randomly went to a GW after taking the GF to the mall for some clothes shopping.

Pokémon Master Trainer Board Game- $1.80 (after student discount)

Looks like it has never been played and that all the pieces are there, gonna have to take the character chips and count 'em...all

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Updated List- Come Buy My Stuff Cheap!

#10 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:59 AM

Today, randomly went to a GW after taking the GF to the mall for some clothes shopping.

Pokémon Master Trainer Board Game- $1.80 (after student discount)

Looks like it has never been played and that all the pieces are there, gonna have to take the character chips and count 'em...all

I've found two copies of that last year... I still haven't gotten around to counting everything.  At least I can piece one complete game together if need be

#11 Screw Attack

Screw Attack

Cheaper than your homeless uncle

• CAG in Training

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

Haven't been to a thrift store this year yet. Closest one to me is Liberty thrift and they usually have some good stuff. Speaking of great finds, last year my friends dad found the Vectrex 3D Imager.....sealed.

(Haven't been active in a while due to school. I apologize if I haven't been answering your messages)

My trade list  http://www.cheapassg...u-psp-gamecube/

I've got controllers and guides of plenty. I've got carts and games galore. Want a Pokemon? I've got 20. No big deal I want more. I wanna be where the Earthbounds are.....

7b040a560-1.jpg

Make every day a good one!  O:)

#12 TheGeonaut

TheGeonaut

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Haven't been to a thrift store this year yet. Closest one to me is Liberty thrift and they usually have some good stuff. Speaking of great finds, last year my friends dad found the Vectrex 3D Imager.....sealed.

How much was the Vetctrex thingy 

#13 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

I've got a feeling that this years thread will be the slowest one yet, I haven't found a decent score at a thrift in months. Between increased competition, higher prices, and the fact that the thrifts themselves have caught on to the game lf selling collectibles online now, the days of making good or even decent scores on a regular basis are almost all gone. Also the fact that new avenues for selling collectibles have opened up, Facebook groups, Craigslist, local retro gaming stores, a lot of stuff that previously been dumped off at Goodwill is now getting sold for cash instead.

#14 Olengie

Olengie

Rise is Best Girl.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

I have yet to find a OMFG score at a Thrift Store in such a long time. Either I always miss out, or the stores I hit up are dry and/or too expensive for my tastes.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 strawyleader997

strawyleader997

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

Today's goodwill pick-ups were somewhat good.

ps2 fat with 2 av cables-$10

original xbox with cords-$7.50

3 wired gray N64 controllers(tight analog sticks)-$5/each

Family guy volume 1-3 -$4/each

Halo 1 and 2 -$5/both

3 pokemon VHS-$0.45/all (for my brother)

Jay-Z the black album CD-$2

#16 Screw Attack

Screw Attack

• CAG in Training

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

How much was the Vetctrex thingy 

15$ for that, a Vectrex, and like 15 games.

Funny story actually. My friends dad is a huge reseller. A few months before that my friend found $500 worth of Turbografix 16 gear at a yardsale for $20. Only knowing the big name consoles, his dad passed on it and looked it all up on Ebay later for a big surprise. Sadly, he never made the mistake again. Lesson learned. Know your video game companies kids :)

(Haven't been active in a while due to school. I apologize if I haven't been answering your messages)

I've got controllers and guides of plenty. I've got carts and games galore. Want a Pokemon? I've got 20. No big deal I want more. I wanna be where the Earthbounds are.....

7b040a560-1.jpg

#17 Angry Man

Angry Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Not a bad day several weeks ago. Ended up getting this beautiful Slingbox Pro HD for $24 or so after tax due to it being half off. The funny part is this sat in the corner by the register for most of this year originally marked at $99.99 but eventually they dropped it to $45.99. None of their employees even knew what it does despite the box being very clear (I know reading is HARD, right).

Regardless I waited out until the "purple tag" sale came up which somehow I always managed to forget. Yet somehow it sat there with nobody paying any attention which I attribute largely to either employees not knowing what they are selling and/or the rest of their customers unaware of it sitting there (and probably themselves knowing typical Salvation Army customers wouldn't know what to do with it).

So far it's working perfectly good. Everything brand new in the box as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• slingbox.jpg

• 247 likes this

New sig coming soon.

#18 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

today, after stopping by the office, I went to the GW by where I work (usually in and out in 5...that's what your mom said too). Saw a boxed N64 game in the case, walked up and it was Mario Kart- marked $39.99.

Not for that price. Its a thrift store after all.

#19 247

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Few gamecube games, 2.92 each.

pa0Ex12.jpg

#20 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Nice on the GCN games, that is one thing I haven't been seeing in the past few months, which are worthwhile titles for the Cube.  I still keep finding good PS2 and PS1 games, but none for that platform.

I picked up an original white GCN compatible Wii with all the hookups for $30 at Goodwill, which is higher then I'd normally spend (I keep saying that about consoles), but I bought it to see if my brother wanted it.  I may get lucky and have a title in the disc tray, I'll find out later when I have time to test it.

#21 derrtaysouth95

derrtaysouth95

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

When I go to thrift stores if I find anything of remote value it's either is really bad condition, majorly overpriced, or both.

I'm of the belief that it's a THRIFT store and therefore stuff should be THRIFTY PRICED as in CHEAP.

All of the thrift stores in my area (there is honestly like 30+) have crap pricing on most everything.  You can tell they are trying to turn a profit and not donating that money to different charities as they so claim.  If you're trying to move stuff make prices better....that beats sitting there for 6+ months not moving and waiting for that one person to come along that might be willing to pay that.

Since I've moved here in June I haven't come across any gaming finds worth bringing home with me.  Best stuff I got was 2 Nike hoodies, a Nike pullover, and a pair of Vibrams....everything looked brand new and cost me like $20 total across 3 trips.

#22 Screw Attack

Screw Attack

• CAG in Training

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

today, after stopping by the office, I went to the GW by where I work (usually in and out in 5...that's what your mom said too). Saw a boxed N64 game in the case, walked up and it was Mario Kart- marked $39.99.

Not for that price. Its a thrift store after all.

It's kind of sad really. Most Goodwills are slowly beginning to look up everything that comes in.

7b040a560-1.jpg

#23 STEVE05

STEVE05

The Darkest Timeline

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

It's kind of sad really. Most Goodwills are slowly beginning to look up everything that comes in.

Yeah, I have a Goodwill by me that most definitely look up anything game-related on eBay. They also have no idea how to look up stuff on eBay. They just see the first couple listings and automatically assume it's worth that much, they don't judge it by condition or if it's complete or not.

A while ago they had a cart only - and very bad condition - copy of Mario Kart N64 for $40 or something, sure enough I looked online and seen one COMPLETE that sold for around $40.

Although, it doesn't help when people come in and buy some of this overpriced junk though. I've seen some people who know there are valuable video games out there but know nothing about them, pay way over market value on some stuff. 

It is what it is. I still go to a few Goodwill's in my area and find some stuff from time to time. I just like the thrill of the hunt more than anything.

#24 Screw Attack

Screw Attack

• CAG in Training

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

Yeah, I have a Goodwill by me that most definitely look up anything game-related on eBay. They also have no idea how to look up stuff on eBay. They just see the first couple listings and automatically assume it's worth that much, they don't judge it by condition or if it's complete or not.

A while ago they had a cart only - and very bad condition - copy of Mario Kart N64 for $40 or something, sure enough I looked online and seen one COMPLETE that sold for around $40.

Although, it doesn't help when people come in and buy some of this overpriced junk though. I've seen some people who know there are valuable video games out there but know nothing about them, pay way over market value on some stuff. 

It is what it is. I still go to a few Goodwill's in my area and find some stuff from time to time. I just like the thrill of the hunt more than anything.

Exactly my thoughts. Even Yard Sales are starting to take a hit with all of these resellers..

7b040a560-1.jpg

#25 STEVE05

STEVE05

The Darkest Timeline

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Yep, yard sales too are getting bad. I notice if I don't go out right away in the morning, on the first day of the sale, anything remotely interesting will be gone. 

I don't mind the other guys like me that enjoy video games and love finding great deals, it's the resellers who know nothing about video games that irk me. Many of them also tend to be dicks.

#26 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

to those comments I say, if i want to pay ebay prices i would go to ebay. literally heard a manager say when discussing pricing with an employee "its 129.99 retail, so mark it xxx". :(

#27 strawyleader997

strawyleader997

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

Today's Goodwill Pick-ups

-NBA 2K14 (Xbox One) -$25 (first xbox one game I've seen at a goodwill)

-Mettalica and justice for all CD -$2

-2 NIN CDs -$2 each

-Star Wars edition monopoly -$4

-3 Fifa Soccer 13(Wii U)(new/sealed)-$7 each

#28 STEVE05

STEVE05

The Darkest Timeline

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

to those comments I say, if i want to pay ebay prices i would go to ebay. literally heard a manager say when discussing pricing with an employee "its 129.99 retail, so mark it xxx". :(

Yes, I 100% agree.

That is what a lot of people simply don't understand. Buying on eBay is easy. I could literally lay in bed, pull up eBay on my phone and buy something. I get buyer protection and I know if something works if it's been tested already. Many sellers on eBay have return policies.

When I buy something at a yard sale or a thrift store, I probably don't have the option to return if it doesn't work. Also I'm wasting gas/time to find stuff. Why would I pay eBay prices for that? They also don't take into account the fees and time it takes to list things on eBay. 

But if I bring that up at a yard sale they usually just ignore me so I've given up trying to talk sense into people.

#29 STEVE05

STEVE05

The Darkest Timeline

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

I remembered this thread today after I left work and had the urge to visit my local Goodwill.

Saw a copy of Links Crossbow Training for...wait....$9.99.  8-[

#30 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

Found a Sega Pico at a terrible thrift I almost never stop in. I already have one (for $00.49 last year) and the game in it is another copy of the only one I have, but for $3.83 I couldn't leave it behind. A buddy of mine will appreciate it.

www.vg-force.com