RocketFish Wii/WiiU LAN Adapter $3.99 Bestbuy

... Wait, are you telling me the Wii U doesn't already support LAN and needs an attachment to do so?

The Wii/WiiU don't have ethernet ports.. so this works if you need/prefer wired.  I have this adapter, bought as a cheap "spare part" since it's really a generic USB-ethernet adapter that gets decent reviews. Haven't really used it for its intended purpose...

I ordered this exact item around this time last year for $10 (ACK!) for my new-at-the-time Wii U.  Works fine plug-and-play, you just have to go into internet setting to override Wireless if you already set it up.  Couldn't really tell you if it makes a major difference--never really had wireless issues.  Just thought back to the terrible Smash Bros. online and thought wiring up the console couldn't hurt for the future.

I picked one of these up last week ($4.99 at the time) for my new Wii U.  No hassle to setup and speed test indicates it is as fast as the Wii U on wifi (neither of which are as fast as my laptop wifi).  Went wired simply because I had the option.

Last edited by a moderator:
The really baffling thing is the lack of DTS or even pro logic for the wii U.  Only surround sound via HDMI to a reciever.  This bothers me much more than having to use wifi for internet.

Not bashing on the wii u, have one and love it, in fact would have gladly spent more for expanded surround sound support

Are you sure it works on Wii U?
One of the reviews said they use it for their sons Wii U, so looks good.

I bought one a couple weeks back for $4.99 at bby and does indeed work on wii u. Got the wii u hard wired.

There is one cool use for it outside of wired LAN. If you have monster hunter 3u on 3ds you can play online with it via ad hoc on wii u. You can dl the app on the eshop to do this.

If Amazon reviews are to be believed, it works on Linux (on PC) as well. I bought one for this reason - Linux doesn't support my PC's current ethernet adapter.

... Wait, are you telling me the Wii U doesn't already support LAN and needs an attachment to do so?
It's like I have said since this machine launched, Nintendo can spew bullshit all day long but clearly WiiU was never meant to be a serious online console, it's just a notch above Wii in that department. Fanboys love to argue with me about this and I just don't get how you can deny it when the evidence like this is all over the place.

What REALLY sucks is that, unless you set your WiiU right next to your router (or have a super powerful expensive router), this attachment is practically required for reliable online play. WiiU's wireless receiver is a fucking joke, and is actually a downgrade from what Wii has.

I bought one a couple weeks back for $4.99 at bby and does indeed work on wii u. Got the wii u hard wired. There is one cool use for it outside of wired LAN. If you have monster hunter 3u on 3ds you can play online with it via ad hoc on wii u. You can dl the app on the eshop to do this.
jesus christ Nintendo, WTF were you thinking? Had I not been suckered into buying WiiU at launch I'd have bought Monster Hunter on 3DS and I'd have been PISSED that I couldn't play online. Not that online on WiiU works very well, but it's better than nothing. I distinctly remember seeing advertising before the game dropped about how 3DS owners could play online with WiiU owners and never once heard anything about needing a WiiU + adaptor to get the 3DS version online, had I not read about it on IGN after the launch I might never have known.

When the Wii didn't support it in 2006 why would you be shocked that a newer console wouldn't support it in 2013? I'm sure the PS5/Xbox 4 won't have it whenever they hit in 2019 or after.
...... yeah, they will. Short of the UN launching satellites all over the Earth and giving everybody everywhere free, reliable wireless internet at speeds of 1TB/sec, I can't forsee a situation where they WOULDN'T. Besides, the PS4/XB1 JUST launched and they support it.

Just because Nintendo doesn't know how to make hardware doesn't mean Sony/MS don't (although they really don't either :cry: )

Last edited:
I had tons of problems with the Wii U connection. It would constantly lose connection randomly and wouldn't reconnect until I went into System Settings and ran a connection test. Then it would be fine for somewhere between 10 min and a day before I had to do it again. The download speed was horrendous and would often completely lose connection during the download.I contacted Nintendo multiple times and changed settings on the Wii U and my router and still continued to experience the issue.

I got one of the USB adaptors from a CAG's lowball and I have zero issues with Network stability now. If anyone has those types of frustrating disconnects despite having the recommended settings on the Wii U and Router then I'd say try this. Solved my issue anyway.

I had tons of problems with the Wii U connection. It would constantly lose connection randomly and wouldn't reconnect until I went into System Settings and ran a connection test. Then it would be fine for somewhere between 10 min and a day before I had to do it again. The download speed was horrendous and would often completely lose connection during the download.I contacted Nintendo multiple times and changed settings on the Wii U and my router and still continued to experience the issue.

I got one of the USB adaptors from a CAG's lowball and I have zero issues with Network stability now. If anyone has those types of frustrating disconnects despite having the recommended settings on the Wii U and Router then I'd say try this. Solved my issue anyway.
Yeah, that's the wireless receiver for you. It's weaker than a fucking low end tablet :wall:

Though the download speed sucks no matter what you do. It took me like 3 or 4 hours to download the Wii Fit demo, and that was after I hooked up the console on my desk next to the router.

Picked one up with my elite status expedited shipping, came to $4.23 shipped. I'll give it a shot on one of my free LAN ports of the switch I recently installed. I like having things wired over wireless. At the very least, it's one less thing taking up the wireless signal (not that my Wii is on very often nowadays :p)

Thanks OP and everyone for their input!

Mine downloads fine but I am having serious problems with dropped connections in online games in Wii Sports club when playing online games. Hopefully this will help.  My Wii U is about 3 feet away from the router so that should not be a problem, I can't move it any closer. Never had a problem with the Wii or any other device on my network.

I had a horrible wireless connection because my router is so far away. I ended up creating a MoCA network (Ethernet over coaxial) so I can get wired internet in any room that has a cable jack.

I used a different adapter for my Wii U but these things help a lot. I've got a coax to the MoCA adapter, the MoCA does Ethernet out into a switch. The switch does Ethernet out into my 360, PS3, Blu ray player, smart TV, and to the Wii U. Then at the Wii U I've got the Ethernet to USB adapter. Works great.

I really wish Nintendo had a real Ethernet jack. Of course I also wish it did DTS and Dolby Digital because my receiver does not support their surround sound.

This is working great for me, but I still only get 4 bars with Wii sports club bowling, even though I was able to play the game without the connection dropping a bit which meant I could focus on the game more.

Blast from the past but I picked up a Wii U last week and just opened this this week. I knew I'd end up using it.

Damn, didn't notice this was a necro thread. Been looking for a deal on a LAN adapter what with Nintendo's borderline useless WiFi antenna and implementation. Lose connection all the time with the Wii U sitting 3 feet from the wireless router, and it's the only device that has problems.

Damn, didn't notice this was a necro thread. Been looking for a deal on a LAN adapter what with Nintendo's borderline useless WiFi antenna and implementation. Lose connection all the time with the Wii U sitting 3 feet from the wireless router, and it's the only device that has problems.
$7.99 ain't too bad of a price!

bread's done
Back