2014 MLB Season Discussion

• Please log in to reply
865 replies to this topic

#841 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:09 AM

I hope the Royals do what the Rockies did in 2007.

that is probably going to happen with the royals. if they faced the giants, i don't seem them winning with pitching, they would have to win with offense. maybe if the royal were facing the cardinals in the playoff. no way the cardinals win the nlds

#842 Corgstradamus

Corgstradamus

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:12 AM

I just hope that the break the Royals are getting doesn't make them rusty like the Nationals. I want it to be a good series.

Have Backlog issues? Need support? Come check out  The CAG Backlog Support Group

#843 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

So, George Brett throws the first pitch in Game 1 of the World Series then Don Denkinger for Game 2?

#844 Greendecko

Greendecko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

Ill give the Royals credit, I didnt think theyd beat the Angels and I really didnt think theyd beat the Orioles.

"It's Like I'm Assisting Suicide, Hate not Me, Hate your Weakness" - Iori Yagami KoF

Wii U - demondecko
Xbox Live Gamertag - GreenDecko
PSN Name - Demondecko

#845 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:54 PM

But that would mean that the Giants would win, or even worse the Cardinals ( :puke: ).

I'm not pulling for either, but I'd rather the Cards win than the Giants. The Giants luck frustrates me.

The Royals did their job, so now all the Cardinals need to do is comeback so we can have a Show - Me Series 2! :whee:

I never considered this... it would be kind of neat to have a Show-Me Series, similar to the Subway series when the Mets-Yankees played.

Ill give the Royals credit, I didnt think theyd beat the Angels and I really didnt think theyd beat the Orioles.

Team of destiny!

#846 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

I'm not pulling for either, but I'd rather the Cards win than the Giants. The Giants luck frustrates me.

I never considered this... it would be kind of neat to have a Show-Me Series, similar to the Subway series when the Mets-Yankees played.

Team of destiny!

Going to the World Series (possibly/soon to be) 3 times in 5 years is not luck  :???:

Formerly known as slickkill77

#847 Bloomy

Bloomy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Going to the World Series (possibly/soon to be) 3 times in 5 years is not luck  :???:

If a journeyman having a hot week is a major (Marco Scutaro, 2012 NLCS), if not the biggest (Cody Ross, 2010 NLCS), reason a team advances, then luck is a big factor.

#848 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

Getting hot at the right time ≠ luck. Did Don Larsen get lucky when he pitched a perfect game in the World Series?

Luck is more akin to a Bartman situation favoring the Marlins.

pitfall_harry219.png

Now Playing: :ps4: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, :ps4: Madden 15, :ps3: Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, :ps3: Jeopardy

#849 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

Too much Giants hate up in here.

Go Giants!

Hopefully Bumgarner can celebrate with six beers tonight

Spoiler

#850 pacifickarma

pacifickarma

Master of Orion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:47 PM

At least traffic hasn't been a problem at the Giants games lately, since most of the fans ride on the same bandwagon.

#851 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

They probably car pool with your cousin.

#852 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:13 AM

Man, that 3-run walkoff was lucky.

pitfall_harry219.png

Now Playing: :ps4: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, :ps4: Madden 15, :ps3: Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, :ps3: Jeopardy

#853 RoytheRobot

RoytheRobot

You Can't Stop Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:20 AM

Wacha...

#854 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

Getting hot at the right time ≠ luck. Did Don Larsen get lucky when he pitched a perfect game in the World Series?

Technically any perfect game involves a certain amount of luck. Even the best pitcher in the world on top of his game needs a little bit of luck to pitch a perfect game or even a no-hitter.

Too much Giants hate up in here.

Thats what happens when you get a few titles, some people bangwagon, some people get annoyed/jealous by it. It's the American way lol.

The Giants have been far from the most talented team in their title runs and have needed luck to get the two titles they have. This year again as I said it seems other team's are losing games more than the Giants winning. They really don't even deserve to be here since the 5th wildcard is dumb anyways. If the league allowed 20 teams in the playoffs and the 10th seed won it all, would you say they deserved it?

#855 Lunchboxington

Lunchboxington

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

Actually they do deserve to be there. They finished with the same record as the pirates and therefore with or without the wild card game there would have been a one game playoff (I believe). Also I'm pretty sure it would be hard for any team to win a World Series without any luck.

#856 Reds303

Reds303

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

Actually they do deserve to be there. They finished with the same record as the pirates and therefore with or without the wild card game there would have been a one game playoff (I believe).

I forgot they had finished with identical records. You are correct on this, they would have had to have a tiebreaker game regardless under the old playoff system as well.

#857 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

So MLB.tv is streaming the World Series for the first time, but you're only eligible to watch if you can authenticate through your pay TV provider. This isn't a problem for me, but I know a lot of people that said they specifically signed up over the last couple months so they could watch the World Series.

pitfall_harry219.png

#858 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

Why sign up through a Pay TV provider when the World Series itself will be on free TV?

#859 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:03 PM

That would require an antenna. Not everyone has one and they just use their streaming devices.
Posted Image

#860 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:01 AM

The best ever preview of the Giants/Royals World Series: https://medium.com/t...pe-a3c7bb85d92e

#861 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Technically any perfect game involves a certain amount of luck. Even the best pitcher in the world on top of his game needs a little bit of luck to pitch a perfect game or even a no-hitter.

Thats what happens when you get a few titles, some people bangwagon, some people get annoyed/jealous by it. It's the American way lol.

The Giants have been far from the most talented team in their title runs and have needed luck to get the two titles they have. This year again as I said it seems other team's are losing games more than the Giants winning. They really don't even deserve to be here since the 5th wildcard is dumb anyways. If the league allowed 20 teams in the playoffs and the 10th seed won it all, would you say they deserved it?

Haha, true.

Giants might not have the biggest names in the game or be the top team in the regular season but they play their best when it counts. Look at Kershaw and the top payroll Dodgers team. Look what all that regular season talent did for them. Other then say, in the NBA, winning the championship while not being one of the top teams shouldn't really be a surprise.

My friend bet me $25 that KC would sweep. Easiest bet I ever won.

edit: as for the luck thing, I'll just say it's unconventional wins against teams that can't handle the pressure of playing in October.

#862 Reds303

Reds303

Posted Today, 12:08 AM

Haha, true.

Giants might not have the biggest names in the game or be the top team in the regular season but they play their best when it counts. Look at Kershaw and the top payroll Dodgers team. Look what all that regular season talent did for them. Other then say, in the NBA, winning the championship while not being one of the top teams shouldn't really be a surprise.

My friend bet me $25 that KC would sweep. Easiest bet I ever won.

edit: as for the luck thing, I'll just say it's unconventional wins against teams that can't handle the pressure of playing in October.

I will pretty much admit that the Giants 2010 title run didn't bother me. It wasn't until the Reds blew a 2-0 lead in the NLDS in 2012 that they began to irritate me :-. That bet would have been an easy one to take, no way do the Giants get swept. Us anti-Giant fans are still waiting for them to not to win a playoff series for the last few years and your friend thinks they aren't going to win at least one game?

#863 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 06:01 PM

Joe Maddon has exercised his opt-out clause and is finished with the Rays.

pitfall_harry219.png

#864 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted Today, 07:49 PM

Don't let ninjapenguin near any ledges.

I kind of wish JD waited to hire a manager. I would rather have Maddon then just about anyone.

Posted Image

#865 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 07:54 PM

Joe Maddon has exercised his opt-out clause and is finished with the Rays.

he is most likely taking the job from mattingly of the dodgers

#866 Corgstradamus

Corgstradamus

Posted Today, 08:59 PM

So MLB.tv is streaming the World Series for the first time, but you're only eligible to watch if you can authenticate through your pay TV provider. This isn't a problem for me, but I know a lot of people that said they specifically signed up over the last couple months so they could watch the World Series.

Yeah I said that and I can't fucking watch it because I don't have any sort of cable. Plus I live in a city with an independent cable provider, so even if I did have cable ( and not HD) and wanted to stream the world series, I couldn't. First and last time I ever sign up for MLB.tv. Thank god I waited for the $12.99 deal but I don't even think it was worth it.

Have Backlog issues? Need support? Come check out  The CAG Backlog Support Group