Photo
- - - - -

Wal-Mart: Nintendo Wii U 8GB Basic Limited Edition Skylanders Swap Force Basic Set - $239.99

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

Nintendo Wii U 8GB Basic Limited Edition Skylanders Swap Force Basic Set

Not a terrible deal considering you could likely sell the Skylanders content for $50-$75 on eBay.

oIi9lub.png

#2 TwistedShade

TwistedShade

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

Good price, think I payed $250-$260 back in December from Toys R Us.  I think the lowest it's been was $240 on Ebay.

roflbot.jpg

#3 JohnnyCage

JohnnyCage

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

The price of Wii U will keep tanking. Stores will be giving them away before long.

#4 fester

fester

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

The price of Wii U will keep tanking. Stores will be giving them away before long.

I know I'm feeding a troll, but seriously, dude...you're on CAG.  You make it sound like a bad thing using the pejorative "tanking", but we're all here to watch things "tank" in price.  One of the reasons the 3DS is dominating right now was the extreme price drop.  Something like that would be a huge boon to the WiiU.  "DUH"

#5 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

You can get around $40 for the Wash Buckler figure and around the same price for the starter kit without the figure on EBay. I bought the bundle last month for $219 and after EBay fees on the Skylanders items, it ended up costing around $150 for the console with Nintendo Land. The only bad thing is the Skylanders game isn't sealed (Nintendoland is sealed).

#6 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

It's also available on Amazon for $249.99 thru a 3rd Party seller fulfilled by Amazon with a good rating. I ordered one on Saturday from Walmart and they kept jerking me around and cancelling my orders every time I used ship to home. So I went with the Amazon deal. It saved me on taxes.

#7 tckilla76

tckilla76

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

My girlfriend has been begging me to grab a Wii U...think I might bite on this. Anybody think we'll see a better deal anytime soon?

#8 ZhengMaster

ZhengMaster

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:58 AM

My girlfriend has been begging me to grab a Wii U...think I might bite on this. Anybody think we'll see a better deal anytime soon?

U can get a Wii U deluxe off AWD for $211.xx, I was about to grab one on several occasions but decided to wait a bit until its under $200

#9 schopaia

schopaia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

U can get a Wii U deluxe off AWD for $211.xx, I was about to grab one on several occasions but decided to wait a bit until its under $200

what's AWD?

#10 Akridsky

Akridsky

Old and Tired

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

what's AWD?

Amazon Warehouse Deals.

#11 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

what's AWD?

Amazon Warehouse Deals. I'm a bit OCD about used/open boxed stuff so I've never bought from there myself.

oIi9lub.png

#12 Outlaw1986

Outlaw1986

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

A new deluxe model for $200 or less bundled with a game or two and i would buy that thing so fast. Lol maybe next Black Friday.

#13 JamesKelly09

JamesKelly09

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:16 AM

Am sorry but didn't they say that Nintendo had discontinue the 8GB model since like last year?? The 8GB should be less then $200 for what its worth.

#14 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

Considering the Deluxe Bundle dropped $50, the Basic Bundle, without game, is technically worth $250.

This, for $240, gets you the Basic Bundle plus a $30 game (Nintendoland) and Skylanders Swap-Foce worth $75.

This time last year this bundle would have cost you $435 if purchased separately. This is almost half that. How is that not a deal?

oIi9lub.png

#15 Mario Speedwagon

Mario Speedwagon

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:14 AM

May have to finally pull the trigger. I can easily flip the Skylanders stuff and Nintendoland. Totally worth it at that point.

#16 spicoli420

spicoli420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

I also purchased this wii u for $219 back when newegg had that deal. I sold the game with portal and 2 figures for a profit of about $20 after ebay/paypal fees. Sold the wash buckler figure on amazon for a profit of $30 and sold nintendoland for a profit of $20. $150 for a wii u.......I am happy.  

#17 Mario Speedwagon

Mario Speedwagon

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

What's a good and inexpensive external storage unit to use with the 8GB Wii U?

#18 miyamotorola

miyamotorola

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

:o update the title. The price dropped by 99 cents!!

#19 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Considering the Deluxe Bundle dropped $50, the Basic Bundle, without game, is technically worth $250.

This, for $240, gets you the Basic Bundle plus a $30 game (Nintendoland) and Skylanders Swap-Foce worth $75.

This time last year this bundle would have cost you $435 if purchased separately. This is almost half that. How is that not a deal?

Being "worth" something is not the same as it costing something. Just because it was ludicrously overpriced at $435, doesn't make it a deal at $240.

That being said, if you unload the figurines and Skylanders on ebay, and can really get the console down to about $150 (I have no idea about the Skylanders stuff if it's really worth that much). Then maybe it is somewhat of a deal, because for alot of us this 8GB console is "worth" about $150. 

That being said, I think I'll just wait for the deluxe set to go sub $200. I'd rather have the deluxe model, and I'm not sure it's worth the legwork/risk to try and get the basic model down to $150. It really should have been there for black Friday - that was Nintendo's bad. 

#20 NewportBox100s

NewportBox100s

It's Gucci! BURR!!!

• CAG Veteran

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Paid $220 for mine from Newegg, do not regret it. I hope to see the Wii U succeed.

#21 Lan_Zer0

Lan_Zer0

Heaven or Hell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

In terms of hardware, vs deluxe the only thing you miss out on here is an extra internal 24gb (you will want an external solution anyways) and a game pad stand ($6 on amazon).  Both Nintendo Land and Skylanders are great games, though I sold my copy of Wii U Skylanders since I already own it on PS4.

Let me show you them.

#22 miyamotorola

miyamotorola

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

The basic Wii U has about 3 GB of useable space while the deluxe has 25. :/ either way, you'll need to invest in a wii u compatible HDD but there are many good quality 1TB ones that go on sale often. The only thing about the deluxe is that its black, you get access to the digital promotion (x.x really not that fantastic), and they throw in a gamepad charging stand.

#23 destro4eva

destro4eva

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

If Bayonetta 2 was already out for this, i'd be all over this one. 

That or another Advance Wars game, or 2-D Metroid, or 2-D Castlevania. Get on the horse Nintendo!!!

#24 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

In terms of hardware, vs deluxe the only thing you miss out on here is an extra internal 24gb (you will want an external solution anyways) and a game pad stand ($6 on amazon).  Both Nintendo Land and Skylanders are great games, though I sold my copy of Wii U Skylanders since I already own it on PS4.

Has Nintendo changed course where they allow you to install games on a SD card? Also can you play Wii games without buying a Wii U Mote controller? I got this bundle because black attracts fingerprints.

#25 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

I am waiting for another drop on the 32 GB myself, but not a bad deal if you don't mind the Skylanders legwork.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#26 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Being "worth" something is not the same as it costing something. Just because it was ludicrously overpriced at $435, doesn't make it a deal at $240.

That being said, if you unload the figurines and Skylanders on ebay, and can really get the console down to about $150 (I have no idea about the Skylanders stuff if it's really worth that much). Then maybe it is somewhat of a deal, because for alot of us this 8GB console is "worth" about $150. 

That being said, I think I'll just wait for the deluxe set to go sub $200. I'd rather have the deluxe model, and I'm not sure it's worth the legwork/risk to try and get the basic model down to $150. It really should have been there for black Friday - that was Nintendo's bad.

Yikes, a sub-$200 Deluxe model will likely be a year or two away. Hope you don't mind waiting.

RE: Storage: It's all dependent on your usage plans. I don't intend on buying any retail-released games digitally, so my 32GB's built-in storage is more than enough for now, even though I've got over a dozen Virtual Console games and close to a dozen eShop-exclusive games. (Little Inferno, Dr. Luigi, NES Remix, etc.)

...you get access to the digital promotion (x.x really not that fantastic)

Well, it actually is fantastic, if you buy a lot of digital software.

Has Nintendo changed course where they allow you to install games on a SD card? Also can you play Wii games without buying a Wii U Mote controller? I got this bundle because black attracts fingerprints.

Wii games are only playable using the original controllers they were designed for.

oIi9lub.png

#27 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

^^^ Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if we can now install games to a SD card instead of having to buy an external hard drive? I was planning on buying a few games from the Wii U store or whatever it's called but it's not worth it if I need to buy an external drive.

Also if I plan on just using the 3GB of free space. Is that more than enough for game saves? :bouncy:

#28 miyamotorola

miyamotorola

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

Yikes, a sub-$200 Deluxe model will likely be a year or two away. Hope you don't mind waiting.

RE: Storage: It's all dependent on your usage plans. I don't intend on buying any retail-released games digitally, so my 32GB's built-in storage is more than enough for now, even though I've got over a dozen Virtual Console games and close to a dozen eShop-exclusive games. (Little Inferno, Dr. Luigi, NES Remix, etc.)

Well, it actually is fantastic, if you buy a lot of digital software.

Wii games are only playable using the original controllers they were designed for.

:/ eh.. its just that 10% back on $60 games is crappy especially when those games NEVER go on sale. Meanwhile you can save way more if you wait a couple months for a store sale. I want splinter cell but do I want it on the eShop for $60 or the disc bramd new from GameStop for $20?

#29 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

:/ eh.. its just that 10% back on $60 games is crappy especially when those games NEVER go on sale. Meanwhile you can save way more if you wait a couple months for a store sale. I want splinter cell but do I want it on the eShop for $60 or the disc bramd new from GameStop for $20?

But I never buy games on the eShop that have been released at retail, because I agree with your sentiment.

However, with eShop-exclusive games (referring to those not released at retail, before you "bububu that's on Steam!" folks get on me.) often being between $10 and $15, all it takes is buying 4 or 5 and you've got $5 in credit to play with.

It's not significant, but it's better than nothing.

I already got $145 in eshop credit for almost half off via Best Buy's sales a few weeks back, so I'm more than glad to have Nintendo throw another 10% off at me.

gdNi6ycl.png

oIi9lub.png

#30 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

You don't have to buy a $60 game to get money back. It adds up.

Selling GRAND THEFT AUTO 5 (GTA V): Collectors Edition Pack DLC Card - Playstation PS3 for $75 OBO. Paypal, Amazon or Gamestop.

Selling the other GTA V collectors edition items as well including steel book (no game).

Deader2818.png