Wal-Mart: Nintendo Wii U 8GB Basic Limited Edition Skylanders Swap Force Basic Set - $239.99

The price of Wii U will keep tanking. Stores will be giving them away before long.
I know I'm feeding a troll, but seriously, dude...you're on CAG. You make it sound like a bad thing using the pejorative "tanking", but we're all here to watch things "tank" in price. One of the reasons the 3DS is dominating right now was the extreme price drop. Something like that would be a huge boon to the WiiU. "DUH"

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get around $40 for the Wash Buckler figure and around the same price for the starter kit without the figure on EBay. I bought the bundle last month for $219 and after EBay fees on the Skylanders items, it ended up costing around $150 for the console with Nintendo Land. The only bad thing is the Skylanders game isn't sealed (Nintendoland is sealed).

It's also available on Amazon for $249.99 thru a 3rd Party seller fulfilled by Amazon with a good rating. I ordered one on Saturday from Walmart and they kept jerking me around and cancelling my orders every time I used ship to home. So I went with the Amazon deal. It saved me on taxes.

My girlfriend has been begging me to grab a Wii U...think I might bite on this. Anybody think we'll see a better deal anytime soon?

My girlfriend has been begging me to grab a Wii U...think I might bite on this. Anybody think we'll see a better deal anytime soon?
U can get a Wii U deluxe off AWD for $211.xx, I was about to grab one on several occasions but decided to wait a bit until its under $200

A new deluxe model for $200 or less bundled with a game or two and i would buy that thing so fast. Lol maybe next Black Friday.

Am sorry but didn't they say that Nintendo had discontinue the 8GB model since like last year?? The 8GB should be less then $200 for what its worth.

Considering the Deluxe Bundle dropped $50, the Basic Bundle, without game, is technically worth $250.

This, for $240, gets you the Basic Bundle plus a $30 game (Nintendoland) and Skylanders Swap-Foce worth $75.

This time last year this bundle would have cost you $435 if purchased separately. This is almost half that. How is that not a deal?

I also purchased this wii u for $219 back when newegg had that deal. I sold the game with portal and 2 figures for a profit of about $20 after ebay/paypal fees. Sold the wash buckler figure on amazon for a profit of $30 and sold nintendoland for a profit of $20. $150 for a wii u.......I am happy.  

Considering the Deluxe Bundle dropped $50, the Basic Bundle, without game, is technically worth $250.

This, for $240, gets you the Basic Bundle plus a $30 game (Nintendoland) and Skylanders Swap-Foce worth $75.

This time last year this bundle would have cost you $435 if purchased separately. This is almost half that. How is that not a deal?
Being "worth" something is not the same as it costing something. Just because it was ludicrously overpriced at $435, doesn't make it a deal at $240.

That being said, if you unload the figurines and Skylanders on ebay, and can really get the console down to about $150 (I have no idea about the Skylanders stuff if it's really worth that much). Then maybe it is somewhat of a deal, because for alot of us this 8GB console is "worth" about $150.

That being said, I think I'll just wait for the deluxe set to go sub $200. I'd rather have the deluxe model, and I'm not sure it's worth the legwork/risk to try and get the basic model down to $150. It really should have been there for black Friday - that was Nintendo's bad.

In terms of hardware, vs deluxe the only thing you miss out on here is an extra internal 24gb (you will want an external solution anyways) and a game pad stand ($6 on amazon).  Both Nintendo Land and Skylanders are great games, though I sold my copy of Wii U Skylanders since I already own it on PS4.

The basic Wii U has about 3 GB of useable space while the deluxe has 25. :/ either way, you'll need to invest in a wii u compatible HDD but there are many good quality 1TB ones that go on sale often. The only thing about the deluxe is that its black, you get access to the digital promotion (x.x really not that fantastic), and they throw in a gamepad charging stand.

If Bayonetta 2 was already out for this, i'd be all over this one. 

That or another Advance Wars game, or 2-D Metroid, or 2-D Castlevania. Get on the horse Nintendo!!!

In terms of hardware, vs deluxe the only thing you miss out on here is an extra internal 24gb (you will want an external solution anyways) and a game pad stand ($6 on amazon). Both Nintendo Land and Skylanders are great games, though I sold my copy of Wii U Skylanders since I already own it on PS4.
Has Nintendo changed course where they allow you to install games on a SD card? Also can you play Wii games without buying a Wii U Mote controller? I got this bundle because black attracts fingerprints.

Being "worth" something is not the same as it costing something. Just because it was ludicrously overpriced at $435, doesn't make it a deal at $240.

That being said, if you unload the figurines and Skylanders on ebay, and can really get the console down to about $150 (I have no idea about the Skylanders stuff if it's really worth that much). Then maybe it is somewhat of a deal, because for alot of us this 8GB console is "worth" about $150.

That being said, I think I'll just wait for the deluxe set to go sub $200. I'd rather have the deluxe model, and I'm not sure it's worth the legwork/risk to try and get the basic model down to $150. It really should have been there for black Friday - that was Nintendo's bad.
Yikes, a sub-$200 Deluxe model will likely be a year or two away. Hope you don't mind waiting.

RE: Storage: It's all dependent on your usage plans. I don't intend on buying any retail-released games digitally, so my 32GB's built-in storage is more than enough for now, even though I've got over a dozen Virtual Console games and close to a dozen eShop-exclusive games. (Little Inferno, Dr. Luigi, NES Remix, etc.)

...you get access to the digital promotion (x.x really not that fantastic)
Well, it actually is fantastic, if you buy a lot of digital software.

Has Nintendo changed course where they allow you to install games on a SD card? Also can you play Wii games without buying a Wii U Mote controller? I got this bundle because black attracts fingerprints.
Wii games are only playable using the original controllers they were designed for.

^^^ Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if we can now install games to a SD card instead of having to buy an external hard drive? I was planning on buying a few games from the Wii U store or whatever it's called but it's not worth it if I need to buy an external drive.

Also if I plan on just using the 3GB of free space. Is that more than enough for game saves? :bouncy:

Yikes, a sub-$200 Deluxe model will likely be a year or two away. Hope you don't mind waiting.

RE: Storage: It's all dependent on your usage plans. I don't intend on buying any retail-released games digitally, so my 32GB's built-in storage is more than enough for now, even though I've got over a dozen Virtual Console games and close to a dozen eShop-exclusive games. (Little Inferno, Dr. Luigi, NES Remix, etc.)

Well, it actually is fantastic, if you buy a lot of digital software.

Wii games are only playable using the original controllers they were designed for.
:/ eh.. its just that 10% back on $60 games is crappy especially when those games NEVER go on sale. Meanwhile you can save way more if you wait a couple months for a store sale. I want splinter cell but do I want it on the eShop for $60 or the disc bramd new from GameStop for $20?

:/ eh.. its just that 10% back on $60 games is crappy especially when those games NEVER go on sale. Meanwhile you can save way more if you wait a couple months for a store sale. I want splinter cell but do I want it on the eShop for $60 or the disc bramd new from GameStop for $20?
But I never buy games on the eShop that have been released at retail, because I agree with your sentiment.

However, with eShop-exclusive games (referring to those not released at retail, before you "bububu that's on Steam!" folks get on me.) often being between $10 and $15, all it takes is buying 4 or 5 and you've got $5 in credit to play with.

It's not significant, but it's better than nothing.

I already got $145 in eshop credit for almost half off via Best Buy's sales a few weeks back, so I'm more than glad to have Nintendo throw another 10% off at me.

gdNi6ycl.png

I have been looking for one of these. So the difference between this and deluxe is the memory and the gamepad stand? Also if I don't plan on downloading any games and just want to play Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and maybe a few other games do I need more memory?

I have been looking for one of these. So the difference between this and deluxe is the memory and the gamepad stand? Also if I don't plan on downloading any games and just want to play Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and maybe a few other games do I need more memory?
The Basic model Wii U is different in four ways from the Deluxe model:

Color: The Basic model Wii U & Gamepad is White, where the Deluxe model Wii U & Gamepad is Black

Onboard Storage: The Basic model Wii U includes 8GB of onboard storage, while the Deluxe model Wii U includes 32GB of onboard storage. Both models are expandable via the USB port on the console with most standard external hard drives.

Included Accessories: The Deluxe model Wii U includes a stand & charging cradle set, which the Basic model does not. This set is purchasable for around $6 from Amazon. The Deluxe model also contains snap-on feet to allow the Wii U to be oriented vertically instead of horizontally. This is purchasable separately for $4 from Nintendo.

wii-u-nintendo-land-video-game1.jpg

Deluxe Digital Promotion: The Deluxe model Wii U gives you back 10% on any digital purchases made on the Nintendo eShop via store credit, redeemable once you've accumulated 500 worth of "points" ($50 worth of purchases). The Basic model does not offer this promotion.

To answer your question, the onboard storage is more than enough to store game saves from retail games.

Y'all screwed up not getting in on the last Cowboom 20% off sale (beginning of January)...

I got a Wii U 32GB Deluxe set for $160+tax. Free shipping. Neener.

Really wish the 32GB model came in white.

Tempting offer though. Just too lazy to unload the figures and recoup some dough.

Really wish the 32GB model came in white.

Tempting offer though. Just too lazy to unload the figures and recoup some dough.
It does. In Japan.

1.png

And I agree, had the Deluxe been available in white that's what I would have bought at launch. But the Deluxe was an all-around better deal, and sadly on available in black, so that's what I was forced into.

Tried to order this twice today on Walmart.com via Paypal and my debit card and the orders were cancelled instantly due to a processing error. My account is fine too so I have no idea what the issue is.

I feel like I want a Wii U but I know I'm only going to play first-party games on it.

That being said I feel like $200 is my buy price.  I don't want to mess with eBay and I don't know that I could get that stuff offloaded on the Craiglist area near me.

I don't mind waiting because I have too many games already, the Wii-U hardly has any games (yet), and haven't even made the move to PS4. Which I would view as a higher priority. Although the PS4 also needs to build it's library for me to really care. With PS4 I'm hoping for a "limited editon" type bundle - like the gunmetal grey MGS IV bundle.

I think there have been rare opportunities to get the Deluxe for under $200 already. Obviously they were $249 for the holidays - but some points deals or creative use of credit card "offers" (like the AMEX deals, or KMART SYWR) could have taken a little more off that price. The Zelda bundle was slightly tempting for $249, but I decided to pass on it due to the lack of games issue (and the fact that the software was digital, which is no good on a Nintendo platform).

Tried to order this twice today on Walmart.com via Paypal and my debit card and the orders were cancelled instantly due to a processing error. My account is fine too so I have no idea what the issue is.
I had sort of a similar problem ordering from Walmart and using ship to home. Every time I did that the order got cancelled within 10 minutes. I ordered it and put ship to store and no cancellations. I decided to cancel the order as I bought it from Amazon.

Nice little system, that's if you are into 1st Nintendo games. I am so it's justifiable.

Question regarding the forums. I'm signed out and I notice the page count. I sign in and the page count on the thread balloons. Like this thread shows 2 pages offline and 5 pages online with this comment. Any explanation to that? :bouncy:

"Wii U doesn't have any games" is kind of a cop-out now imo. It has plenty of games now.

A fair statement is that you don't enjoy the games, but saying it doesnt have any isn't true.

Little Inferno is not exclusive to the eShop.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221260/

Very tempting. Nintendoland sells for about 25 and Sklander for about 60 on eBay making this a very persuasive price point. Just not sure if another price drop will be incoming considering they a releasing a larger HD system in the near future.

I haven't owned a game console in about four years (save for a 3DS XL which I recently offloaded) and this looks appealing. I was waiting for a PS3/360 to go on sale, but it seems that the emphasis in bundles is destroying any hopes of that. If I were to bite on this deal, I'd sell the Skylanders set, but I'm not really sure where I'd go from there, i.e. what I'd buy? Basically, someone sell me on this console—I've been doing some snooping around the internet trying to get a better picture of what's coming out/what is out for the Wii U, but it's easier to hear from those who own one.

bread's done
Back