Did your white Wii gear discolor?

cochesecochese

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Curious about this.  Did your white remotes/nunchucks/classic controllers yellow or miscolor over time?

My first Wii's parts stayed their natural color until I sold it for all black gear.  Curious if this was a problem/concern for anyone here as I am leaning towards a white Wii U.  Would naturally want to kit it out with matching controllers.

Any thoughts (or a vote without chiming in) are appreciated.  Thanks!

I don't think mine has discolored, but I might not notice if it had.

My Super NES has definitely discolored.  :)  This is obvious because different parts of it are different colors.  RETRO had an article about it in their premier issue that just came out.  I like the discoloration, though.

But a discolored Wii doesn't have quite the charm as my old SNES, so I understand your concern.  I don't think Nintendo uses the same kind of plastic setup that they used with the SNES.  Meanwhile, I don't think the NES discolored.

Anyway, I haven't seen or heard anything about discolored Wiis, but I'm not any kind of authority on it.

I have had my Wii since launch and no discoloration.  If I leave the controllers in the sun they may change color, but I store them in a drawer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only discoloration I've noticed on Wii consoles / controllers are the analog sticks on the nunchucks and classic controllers.  None on my stuff personally, but when I've seen used white versions, I commonly notice them with a slight yellow tinge, more than likely from the natural skin oils (at least I hope so).

I've tried cleaning this off with the typical methods, and they still always have a light hue of yellow.  If you buy new and wash your hands regularly (and avoid cheetos chain swallowing while playing), they should stay white for some time.

Yeah, in that case, it's skin oils and maybe... uh... other stuff.  :(  Have you ever noticed the gunk that can build up on a controller?  I think it's the same stuff.  

I try to keep my controllers to myself or amongst those I'm close with, and if I can't do that, I try to clean them.

The only discoloration I've noticed on Wii consoles / controllers are the analog sticks on the nunchucks and classic controllers. None on my stuff personally, but when I've seen used white versions, I commonly notice them with a slight yellow tinge, more than likely from the natural skin oils (at least I hope so).
I have white Wii peripherals, and yeah, this does happen with the analog sticks. I don't really mind it since those tend to be the parts of any controller that suffer the most wear and tear.

To the OP: don't know if anyone makes Wii analog stick covers, but that might be worth looking into given your concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddly enough the white rubber on my A/V cables discolored. The Wii box and my Mario Kart Wii box discolored slightly as well. Nintendo is cheap... just the way it is.

I don't have discoloration issues with my Wii Stuff. But I have seen a lot of discoloration. I suspect its from being in a house with smokers or leaving the system and controllers in direct sunlight or for some other reason similar to this. When you live in a smoking household it seems everything turns a different color, so nothing new there. Also from kids smearing their dirty hands all over everything, if you don't clean off the cheese marks, then they will probably stain the console permanently. The analog sticks do discolor, but I don't see that as a huge problem unless the rubber naturally gets very worn out and starts coming off the sticks by itself.

I don't think there is anything that can be done about this, regarding the materials used to make the consoles, cheap or not cheap, people don't take care of stuff so you will always have things like this happen no matter what. I bet a black console can deteriorate if left in the sunlight for too long as well.

Stuff can discolor no matter what.  It's not always an issue of care or no care.  There is UV everywhere.  Direct sunlight certainly accelerates the process, but unless you have no windows at all, there will be UV hitting your stuff.

I agree, it doesn't matter. Things will just wear eventually. To buy something and to think it will be in perfect condition 8-10 years after you buy it while you are using it is ridiculous. Unless you buy things at launch to just keep in the box...

Yes!  Might be safe in the box!  :)  I hadn't thought of that hehe

I think I said it earlier in this thread, but I love that my SNES is discolored.  :)

You would also have to keep the box out of direct light, so it doesn't discolor, in a closet or something.

Maybe putting things into a solid color sterilite bin or a drawer is the best solution.. I have some of my things in those but not all.

I got mine at launch and still use the same controllers I got with it (and one that I think I got maybe 2-3 years later).  I put the rubber(ish?) covers on them, so that might have kept them a little more protected, but all my stuff is still nice and shiny white.

I think you have the right idea going for the white console.  I got the black one, and as nice as it is, the gamepad is constantly covered in obvious smudges.  Although I guess those are easier to clean than dirt and oil and whatever else builds up in the crevasses.

That is why I specifically got the white console. No one in my house smokes, I don't have pets and there are no kids living in this house so my chances of keeping it shiny white are very good. I hate the fingerprints and dust that black consoles collect. My PS3 shows dust as soon as I wipe it off while my White Wii U never shows a speck of dust, doesn't mean that it isn't there, but at least I can wipe it off and it doesn't re-appear instantly like with a black console. The fingerprints are there, you can't see them though. That doesn't bother me. Since I prefer the Wii Remote + Nunchuck controllers my gamepad rarely gets used which means it will no doubt stay in good shape.  The back does have a matte surface that could get dirty easily but with my pattern of use anything that gets on there I should be able to clean it off with no problem.

bread's done
Back