Amazon Lightning Deals 1/21/14: Knack, Gran Turismo 6, Skylanders SWAP Force Countdown/Zoo Lou Character, Beyond Two Souls, and more...

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
IWSXcQy.png

*Eastern Time

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Update:

7VPTVLX.png

Amazon has made some changes to the lightning deals. They have added Beyond Two Souls and moved around the starting time for the Skylander figures. Amazon might continue to change around the starting time for each deal or add more. You can check for the latest information on Amazon's Goldbox page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey...it is the one PS4 game I still have interest in but am waiting for $20...I know it won't be $20 but don't think no one wants this game.
Pretty much what I was going to write. I doubt it'll be $20, but I'll get it if it is. Would think about it at $25 (since I now pay tax on amazon, that'd be over $27 :( ). Would laugh if it is $40.

Dont have PS4 yet, but hoping Knack is a PS+ title down the road.

Hoping there are some unannounced lightning deals.  Have no interest Skylanders, don't have PS4 yet, content with my red/black Turtle Beach P11 headphones, and already have Beyond Two Souls.

Just to warn people away from Knack, it is absolutely awful. It has all the trappings of a kid's game - chintzy character design, pedantic story, awful voice acting, etc. but all the difficulty of a game made for adults, with brutal checkpoints, instant kills (or two-hit kills, etc.). Completely unmemorable level design, repulsive narrative... whatever the price is, it's not worth the space on your hard drive. Stay far, far away. Your money would be better spent just shoving it in the blu-ray drive.

Beyond Two Souls is the best game of 2013 IMO.  I'd highly recommend it.  The reviewers reviewed a game that has the same sorts of problems as The Walking Dead but somehow The Walking Dead got GOTY in 2012.  The difference here is that there's a female protagonist.  This is the perfect example of cultural bias.  You have a large pool of 22-28 year old single males without children reviewing a game with a female protagonist
where she can nearly be raped, she delivers a baby, and you take her on a date - my Jodie actually had sex and these types of scenes do not play well with men uncomfortable in their own skin.
  If you look at reviews done by older men or women you'll get a completely different take on the game.  My wife isn't a gamer but she watched me play the entire game.  Here's a similar situation. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/10/09/why-we-need-more-games-like-beyond-two-souls/

Basically, in Heavy Rain you do play as a female but the role is largely subordinate to the male protagonists.  In The Last of Us
you play as a strong male protagonist that protects a girl.  You do play as Ellie for short periods of time but it's almost all action sequences and there's certainly no "date scene" where you're trying to get her ready for the big date with a guy.
http://gamingfeminism.tumblr.com/post/63668928961/beyond-two-souls-feminism

That was probably longer than it needed to be.  Point is, if you're a single childless male 22-28 don't buy Beyond: Two Souls.  If you're a woman or married man with kids in his 30's or later, you may want to give it a shot.

https://twitter.com/search?q=beyond%20two%20souls&src=typd&f=realtime

Beyond Two Souls is the best game of 2013 IMO. I'd highly recommend it.
While the gameplay isn't for everyone, at a certain price, Beyond Two Souls is definitely worth people's time. I would not call it the best game of the year but it might be in my top 5.

Also, this game looks amazing. I think it was probably the best looking console game of 2013. I played Beyond Two Souls on a 21:9 television (aspect ratio similar to super 35mm film) allowing the game image to fill the entire screen. Granted I'm seated farther away from the screen, compared to sitting in front of a good PC monitor, but there were times when my jaw was on the floor. At one point I thought I was still watching a prerendered cut-scene only to eventually realize Ellen Page was standing there doing nothing for too long and the game had given me back control. Instances like this had me wondering how Beyond Two Souls fares against the better looking PC games I played last year.

While the gameplay isn't for everyone, at a certain price, Beyond Two Souls is definitely worth people's time. I would not call it the best game of the year but it might be in my top 5.

Also, this game looks amazing. I think it was probably the best looking console game of 2013. I played Beyond Two Souls on a 21:9 television (aspect ratio similar to super 35mm film) allowing the game image to fill the entire screen. Granted I'm seated farther away from the screen, compared to sitting in front of a good PC monitor, but there were times when my jaw was on the floor. At one point I thought I was still watching a prerendered cut-scene only to eventually realize Ellen Page was standing there doing nothing for too long and the game had given me back control. Instances like this had me wondering how Beyond Two Souls fares against the better looking PC games I played last year.
It really does look great. I played through it the. Went to The Last of Us which looks good but as a follow up to B:TS it looked muddy.

It had all those issues but I still enjoyed my time with it.
Same here. It's a solid "B" game. I liked the integration of your friends list for getting items from chests and I thought the controls & graphics were top notch. I enjoyed it more than any of the other PS4 games I own besides Resogun.

I think I'll bite on Knack if it's $40. I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews about it, but since I'm lacking a PS4 library I might as well give this game a shot. It'll probably keep me busy until Second Son comes out.

40 for knack. 

You got me amazon, you got me. Well played.

You built my hopes up and then smashed them into pieces.

Knack is first party so I see it being a definite ps+ giveaway in a couple months
I have seen so many predictions of various games going to PS+ over the past couple of years and only about 1% of them have been correct. That being said, it does seem more likely than other titles but I would guess it will still be quite awhile since the PS+ plan for PS4 seems to be indie games. I guess I just added another prediction (sort of). :)

Beyond Two Souls is the best game of 2013 IMO. I'd highly recommend it. The reviewers reviewed a game that has the same sorts of problems as The Walking Dead but somehow The Walking Dead got GOTY in 2012. The difference here is that there's a female protagonist. This is the perfect example of cultural bias. You have a large pool of 22-28 year old single males without children reviewing a game with a female protagonist
where she can nearly be raped, she delivers a baby, and you take her on a date - my Jodie actually had sex and these types of scenes do not play well with men uncomfortable in their own skin.
If you look at reviews done by older men or women you'll get a completely different take on the game. My wife isn't a gamer but she watched me play the entire game. Here's a similar situation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/10/09/why-we-need-more-games-like-beyond-two-souls/

Basically, in Heavy Rain you do play as a female but the role is largely subordinate to the male protagonists. In The Last of Us
you play as a strong male protagonist that protects a girl. You do play as Ellie for short periods of time but it's almost all action sequences and there's certainly no "date scene" where you're trying to get her ready for the big date with a guy.

That was probably longer than it needed to be. Point is, if you're a single childless male 22-28 don't buy Beyond: Two Souls. If you're a woman or married man with kids in his 30's or later, you may want to give it a shot.

I, uh, what? I don't think the poor reception has anything to do with there being a female protagonist. I haven't actually played it, but the negative reviews I've seen have said that there isn't much game to it, your choices don't make much a difference, and the story is shitty with poor writing (having played Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy this all sounds pretty plausible). I'm not gonna pretend that there aren't gender bias issues in the video game industry, but I think it is pretty silly to blame bad reviews on it (female protagonists affect sales much more than critical reception).

Heads up on skylanders, if you are bb gcu you get 20% off all figures and buy $60 get free figure deal this week. also tower of time on sale 20, 16 if gcu. peace cags

Knack is one of those games got got hit-jobbed by most "professional" reviewers because its not of the typical mold of a blockbuster game made today. 

Its is what it is- a fun acion brawler with a cartoony style, and simple controls, that provides a fun 10 hour campaign- the controls don't get more complex than run, jump, punch, and consumable "special moves".  Yes, its linear, no there isn't multiplayer, and while the graphics are clean and 100% fine for the type of cartoony game it is, it far from  "pushes" the PS4 graphically.  So, it must be a 4/10, right review people?

Look, if you enjoiy the action/platformers of old- Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, etc. and learn for games from a simpler time before there was online MP, DLC, and everything needed to be a shooter, or an open sandbox, Knack is an entire worthy game to play.  Plus its actually challenging- while there are patterns, enemies are agressive, have more than one attack pattern and you are always a hit or two from death, although frequent checkpoints keep things from being frustrating.  It honestly was an 8/10 overall for me.  Yes, its not the most ambitious game you'll play next to the latest EA/Ubisoft blockbuster game, but i had honest to goodness fun for the duration. 

Got lucky and price-matched Best Buy for $39.99 on Knack.(the lightning deal ended at 10 central but I kept the page up without refreshing it so they still honored it). And used a $15 rewards zone certificate so it ended up being $27 out the door. Not bad at all. 

I, uh, what? I don't think the poor reception has anything to do with there being a female protagonist. I haven't actually played it, but the negative reviews I've seen have said that there isn't much game to it, your choices don't make much a difference, and the story is shitty with poor writing (having played Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy this all sounds pretty plausible). I'm not gonna pretend that there aren't gender bias issues in the video game industry, but I think it is pretty silly to blame bad reviews on it (female protagonists affect sales much more than critical reception).
I played the game and thought the story was fantastic. That's where the sexism arguement comes into play imho. The story is about a young girl growing into a women. Her entity is just a vehicle for showing feeling of abandonment, lonelyness, dependent relationships, etc.. some men and women just don't relate to these stories and mark it down for that reason. If they reviews were simply about gameplay it would have better reviews then the walking dead. I'd argue its more interactive then the walking dead.

That's why I didn't like it. Right before I played B:TS I played Catherine and in that game your decisions really have an impact on the outcome. B:TS is like a movie that requires you to press buttons, but I never felt like anything I did mattered. And there was no challenge at all. I don't think there's any way to fail at any point in the game. I didn't find the story all that compelling either.

Beyond Two Souls is the best game of 2013 IMO. I'd highly recommend it. The reviewers reviewed a game that has the same sorts of problems as The Walking Dead but somehow The Walking Dead got GOTY in 2012. The difference here is that there's a female protagonist. This is the perfect example of cultural bias. You have a large pool of 22-28 year old single males without children reviewing a game with a female protagonist
If you look at reviews done by older men or women you'll get a completely different take on the game. My wife isn't a gamer but she watched me play the entire game. Here's a similar situation.

Basically, in Heavy Rain you do play as a female but the role is largely subordinate to the male protagonists. In The Last of Us
you play as a strong male protagonist that protects a girl. You do play as Ellie for short periods of time but it's almost all action sequences and there's certainly no "date scene" where you're trying to get her ready for the big date with a guy.

That was probably longer than it needed to be. Point is, if you're a single childless male 22-28 don't buy Beyond: Two Souls. If you're a woman or married man with kids in his 30's or later, you may want to give it a shot.

Yep, and any white man that doesn't like our president is conservative racist living in a trailer, all Muslims are in fact terrorists and the only people that can cut my lawn the right way are Hispanics working for red neck owned landscaping companies. That was sarcasm BTW.

Is it not possible for people to not like something without some hidden agenda, maybe the game just wasn't very good. I fit your demographic, over 30 with a wife and kids including 2 teenaged daughters and the game was boring, not only for me but them as well. At the $5 I paid for it I still felt ripped off. This was the thing I didn't understand about the Tomb Raider reboot, anyone that didn't like it was a member of the he man woman haters club.

d87%2B%2Bwomen-haters%2Bclub.jpg

Missed the black friday $25 deal for Beyond Two Souls. Would probably settle on $30 since I have a bit of credit. Though my instincts say it will be around $35 ( Current Price $52.09 ) because Gran Turismo 6 was similar ( $52.04 ).

I had Beyond Two Souls ordered, and then canceled 10 mins later after pondering it a little.  I know I want to play it eventually, but I have a massive backlog, and I just picture this game being right more at the $20 range.  I was really hoping Amazon would have least dipped down to $25 (since their standard price yesterday was $40 prior to the lightning deal going live). 

I had Beyond Two Souls ordered, and then canceled 10 mins later after pondering it a little. I know I want to play it eventually, but I have a massive backlog, and I just picture this game being right more at the $20 range. I was really hoping Amazon would have least dipped down to $25 (since their standard price yesterday was $40 prior to the lightning deal going live).
I'm sure it will be $20 if you wait.

bread's done
Back