Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

PS3 Slim 160 GB for $199.99 at Radio Shack (not the Superslim)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 S_G

S_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

I'm posting this because I've seen a few posters looking specifically for the older slim brand new. If your local Radio Shack still has these, they should be 199.99. Ask for catalog number 26-1792, if you need them to look it up.

I've also seen the 320 GB slim with Infamous 2 for 209.99, but I can't remember what the catalog number is.

Edit: Looks like the catalog number for the 320 GB bundle is 26-2744. Here are the google cache links:

160 GB - http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

320 GB w/ Infamous 2 - http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

#2 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

Why do people hate the super slim? I've had all 3 consoles and the super slim seems fine to me.

#3 ORGAN1ZAT10N_13

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13

Feel The Pain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:04 AM

Why do people hate the super slim? I've had all 3 consoles and the super slim seems fine to me.

Because of that cheap ass sliding disc tray. That's why everyone hates it. It's ugly and loud when it's sliding around - sounding like an actual door slamming

#4 graf1k

graf1k

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

Because of that cheap ass sliding disc tray. That's why everyone hates it. It's ugly and loud when it's sliding around - sounding like an actual door slamming

What he said. Also I believe the super slims are unmoddable.

#5 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

I guess that stuff isn't a big deal to me. He'll, you can't even see the top of it on the shelf it's on under my TV.

#6 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

That's the price I paid for my slim. Get this while you can.

Forza 5 Full Game Download/Titanfall Full Game Download - $80 bundle

Ms. Splosion Man and Pinball FX XBL Codes for Sale/Trade

This is my new theme song. "Man, you're a CheapAssGamer."

YouTube

#7 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:11 AM

Anyone know how to find the 320gb bundle with the older slim?  Can't find it on the website at all....

#8 Darby27

Darby27

2 Legit 2 Quit!

• CAG Veteran

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

The only reason I know of that people want this more than the super slim(beyond cosmetics) is because they can be modded.

#9 beatums

beatums

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

super slims are hated basically because they're likely the final design for the ps3, and sony made them as cheap as possible.  sort of like the latest version of the 360.  sony and microsoft aren't going to make their 'best' product at the end of the line especially when they've got next-gen to work on.  they can make a 'good enough, probably better than the first but not as good as the previous' version that they can sell for years until it dies.

although the sliding top is surely a cheap way to go, but at the same time its less mechanical shit that can break.

#10 guessed

guessed

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

super slims are hated basically because they're likely the final design for the ps3, and sony made them as cheap as possible. sort of like the latest version of the 360. sony and microsoft aren't going to make their 'best' product at the end of the line especially when they've got next-gen to work on. they can make a 'good enough, probably better than the first but not as good as the previous' version that they can sell for years until it dies.

although the sliding top is surely a cheap way to go, but at the same time its less mechanical shit that can break.

They are loud. I had one and had to get rid of it and get a slim. I have read that it isn't so much the decibel level as the pitch, but I just know that it was bad. Might not be as big a problem for some, but when I play, I usually have the volume down pretty low.
Will 'watch Family Guy with you and explain the pop culture references you don't understand' for food.

#11 S_G

S_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

Anyone know how to find the 320gb bundle with the older slim?  Can't find it on the website at all....

Looks like the catalog number is 26-2744. I added google cache links to the OP.

#12 thao0209

thao0209

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

Super slim are realllllly loud plus their materials are cheaper than the other. I would trade my super slim anyday

#13 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

and looks and feels like it will break any moment... honestly i dont know how anyone CANT hate it. The whole thing looks and feels like a friggin Chinese knock off, not a real Sony ps3. Even if it wasn't super cheap, the room it takes by sliding to the side makes it hard to fit in some cabinets or next to other consoles. Its just terrible all around

My massive game collection list: (work in progress, pain in the butt getting it all entered)
\-Clicky Here-\

#14 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Looks like the catalog number is 26-2744. I added google cache links to the OP.

Thanks a lot!  I can check around locally now.

#15 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

super slims are hated basically because they're likely the final design for the ps3, and sony made them as cheap as possible.  sort of like the latest version of the 360.  sony and microsoft aren't going to make their 'best' product at the end of the line especially when they've got next-gen to work on.  they can make a 'good enough, probably better than the first but not as good as the previous' version that they can sell for years until it dies.

Yeah, I want the older ps3 slim and 360, mainly because cost cutting wasn't the primary focus.  I don't know if the older slims will necessarily last longer, but I don't like it when they start removing features (like the audio opitcal output on the 360e) or make a cheaper drive on the ps3 super slim that you have to manually operate (and is louder as well).

#16 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

I have no idea why people say the super slim is loud. Ive had a slim and super slim and they are both quiet.

I swear to god people just make stuff up.

Selling GRAND THEFT AUTO 5 (GTA V): Collectors Edition Pack DLC Card - Playstation PS3 for $75 OBO. Paypal, Amazon or Gamestop.

Selling the other GTA V collectors edition items as well including steel book (no game).

Deader2818.png

#17 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

How much louder are these "super slims" really? I play L.A. Noire and the sounds that come out of my regular Slim...

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#18 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

How much louder are these "super slims" really? I play L.A. Noire and the sounds that come out of my regular Slim...

I think they're talking about the disc spinning. Not a big deal for me. I can close the door on my TV stand and I can't hear it any longer. Also I have surround sound. I'm sure it's better cooled and will last longer than the original slim based on the amount of heat generated when playing it.

#19 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

The top-loading disc tray makes me feel like playing a game of 'Operation!' by not trying to bend or leave fingerprints under discs. I don't even have chubby fingers (rather skinny imo). I don't buy multiplatform games because of this.

Plus I don't risk opening the top-tray cover when the [Superslim] PS3 is on so if I want to play another game I shut-down the [Superslim] PS3 and change discs when the [Superslim] PS3 is off.

(()) wOOpwOOp That's the sound of a trade: >>CML<< (())

PS3 & 360 games @ ☆ Want Halo 4 ☆ plz
10% CAG discount Vs. ebay listings!

#20 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

The top-loading disc tray makes me feel like playing a game of 'Operation!' by not trying to bend or leave fingerprints under discs. I don't even have chubby fingers (rather skinny imo). I don't buy multiplatform games because of this.Plus I don't risk opening the top-tray cover when the [Superslim] PS3 is on so if I want to play another game I shut-down the [Superslim] PS3 and change discs when the [Superslim] PS3 is off.

You don't buy multiplatform games because you have skinny fingers?
You don't open the top while it's on?
I don't understand these.

#21 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

You don't buy multiplatform games because you have skinny fingers?
You don't open the top while it's on?
I don't understand these.

lol? Read again.
Vibrations from the action of opening the top-tray is too risky. This would easilly cause [disc] scratches when it's spinning (the damn thing doesn't even stop spinning in the XMB home for at least 10 minutes).

(()) wOOpwOOp That's the sound of a trade: >>CML<< (())

PS3 & 360 games @ ☆ Want Halo 4 ☆ plz
10% CAG discount Vs. ebay listings!

#22 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

I have the superslim from the Black Friday bundle which I got after my launch 60GB died....it's great other than that tray, which threw me when I first got it because I had no idea it was part of the PS3.  I was trying to find a button to automatically close it for a while.

#23 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

I have the superslim from the Black Friday bundle which I got after my launch 60GB died....it's great other than that tray, which threw me when I first got it because I had no idea it was part of the PS3. I was trying to find a button to automatically close it for a while.

It was confusing to me at first too. I've had top loading electronics in the past and never had a problem with them and frankly people are playing up how nice the other PS3's were. These weren't designed like Apple products. They are fine but both of the previous revisions had issues. I'd much rather have the new one which uses the least amount of electricity and generates the least heat.

lol? Read again.Vibrations from the action of opening the top-tray is too risky. This would easilly cause [disc] scratches when it's spinning (the damn thing doesn't even stop spinning in the XMB home for at least 10 minutes).

It seems a bit neurotic but I understand where you're coming from. I've opened mine and it hasn't scratched discs. Remember that Blu Ray has that hardening chemical on them to prevent scratches.

#24 Murderstorm

Murderstorm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Thanks op my ps3 broke a week ago and this was perfect for me I knew they would have it since no one goes to radioshack