PS3 Slim 160 GB for $199.99 at Radio Shack (not the Superslim)

S_G

CAGiversary!
I'm posting this because I've seen a few posters looking specifically for the older slim brand new. If your local Radio Shack still has these, they should be 199.99. Ask for catalog number 26-1792, if you need them to look it up.

I've also seen the 320 GB slim with Infamous 2 for 209.99, but I can't remember what the catalog number is.

Edit: Looks like the catalog number for the 320 GB bundle is 26-2744. Here are the google cache links:

160 GB - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mHdTEY7QftEJ:m.radioshack.com/radioshack/product/detail.do%3FitemId%3D10798020%26categoryId%3D1092679%26cust_categoryId%3D%26path%3DHome%257CVideo%2BGames%2B%2526%2BToys%257CPlaystation%2B3%257CPlaystation%2B3%2Bconsoles%257CPlayStation%2526reg%253B3%2B160GB%2BSystem+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

320 GB w/ Infamous 2 - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:50R9BU4vFsAJ:m.radioshack.com/radioshack/product/detail.do%3FitemId%3D12465513%26categoryId%3D1092679%26cust_categoryId%3D%26path%3DHome%257CVideo%2BGames%2B%2526%2BToys%257CPlaystation%2B3%257CPlaystation%2B3%2Bconsoles%257CSony%2BPS%2526reg%253B3%2B320GB%2BBundle%2Bw%252F%2BinFAMOUS%2B2+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I know of that people want this more than the super slim(beyond cosmetics) is because they can be modded.

super slims are hated basically because they're likely the final design for the ps3, and sony made them as cheap as possible.  sort of like the latest version of the 360.  sony and microsoft aren't going to make their 'best' product at the end of the line especially when they've got next-gen to work on.  they can make a 'good enough, probably better than the first but not as good as the previous' version that they can sell for years until it dies.

although the sliding top is surely a cheap way to go, but at the same time its less mechanical shit that can break.

super slims are hated basically because they're likely the final design for the ps3, and sony made them as cheap as possible. sort of like the latest version of the 360. sony and microsoft aren't going to make their 'best' product at the end of the line especially when they've got next-gen to work on. they can make a 'good enough, probably better than the first but not as good as the previous' version that they can sell for years until it dies.

although the sliding top is surely a cheap way to go, but at the same time its less mechanical shit that can break.
They are loud. I had one and had to get rid of it and get a slim. I have read that it isn't so much the decibel level as the pitch, but I just know that it was bad. Might not be as big a problem for some, but when I play, I usually have the volume down pretty low.

Because of that cheap ass sliding disc tray. That's why everyone hates it. It's ugly and loud when it's sliding around - sounding like an actual door slamming
and looks and feels like it will break any moment... honestly i dont know how anyone CANT hate it. The whole thing looks and feels like a friggin Chinese knock off, not a real Sony ps3. Even if it wasn't super cheap, the room it takes by sliding to the side makes it hard to fit in some cabinets or next to other consoles. Its just terrible all around

super slims are hated basically because they're likely the final design for the ps3, and sony made them as cheap as possible. sort of like the latest version of the 360. sony and microsoft aren't going to make their 'best' product at the end of the line especially when they've got next-gen to work on. they can make a 'good enough, probably better than the first but not as good as the previous' version that they can sell for years until it dies.

Yeah, I want the older ps3 slim and 360, mainly because cost cutting wasn't the primary focus. I don't know if the older slims will necessarily last longer, but I don't like it when they start removing features (like the audio opitcal output on the 360e) or make a cheaper drive on the ps3 super slim that you have to manually operate (and is louder as well).

I have no idea why people say the super slim is loud. Ive had a slim and super slim and they are both quiet.

I swear to god people just make stuff up.

How much louder are these "super slims" really? I play L.A. Noire and the sounds that come out of my regular Slim...
I think they're talking about the disc spinning. Not a big deal for me. I can close the door on my TV stand and I can't hear it any longer. Also I have surround sound. I'm sure it's better cooled and will last longer than the original slim based on the amount of heat generated when playing it.

Why do people hate the super slim? I've had all 3 consoles and the super slim seems fine to me.
The top-loading disc tray makes me feel like playing a game of 'Operation!' by not trying to bend or leave fingerprints under discs. I don't even have chubby fingers (rather skinny imo). I don't buy multiplatform games because of this.

Plus I don't risk opening the top-tray cover when the [Superslim] PS3 is on so if I want to play another game I shut-down the [Superslim] PS3 and change discs when the [Superslim] PS3 is off.

The top-loading disc tray makes me feel like playing a game of 'Operation!' by not trying to bend or leave fingerprints under discs. I don't even have chubby fingers (rather skinny imo). I don't buy multiplatform games because of this.Plus I don't risk opening the top-tray cover when the [Superslim] PS3 is on so if I want to play another game I shut-down the [Superslim] PS3 and change discs when the [Superslim] PS3 is off.
You don't buy multiplatform games because you have skinny fingers?
You don't open the top while it's on?
I don't understand these.

You don't buy multiplatform games because you have skinny fingers?
You don't open the top while it's on?
I don't understand these.
lol? Read again.
Vibrations from the action of opening the top-tray is too risky. This would easilly cause [disc] scratches when it's spinning (the damn thing doesn't even stop spinning in the XMB home for at least 10 minutes).

I have the superslim from the Black Friday bundle which I got after my launch 60GB died....it's great other than that tray, which threw me when I first got it because I had no idea it was part of the PS3.  I was trying to find a button to automatically close it for a while.

I have the superslim from the Black Friday bundle which I got after my launch 60GB died....it's great other than that tray, which threw me when I first got it because I had no idea it was part of the PS3. I was trying to find a button to automatically close it for a while.
It was confusing to me at first too. I've had top loading electronics in the past and never had a problem with them and frankly people are playing up how nice the other PS3's were. These weren't designed like Apple products. They are fine but both of the previous revisions had issues. I'd much rather have the new one which uses the least amount of electricity and generates the least heat.

lol? Read again.Vibrations from the action of opening the top-tray is too risky. This would easilly cause [disc] scratches when it's spinning (the damn thing doesn't even stop spinning in the XMB home for at least 10 minutes).
It seems a bit neurotic but I understand where you're coming from. I've opened mine and it hasn't scratched discs. Remember that Blu Ray has that hardening chemical on them to prevent scratches.

Thanks op my ps3 broke a week ago and this was perfect for me I knew they would have it since no one goes to radioshack

bread's done
Back