Where did Nintendo go wrong with it's MP and what can it do to fix it?

They never embraced online gaming as they were scared of exposing kids to predators, vulgarity etc. and losing they family market that's been their bread and butter.

That cost them core gamers who are older, busier and can't have many gaming get togethers with friends for local MP. Those people moved onto Sony or MS where there are lots of online games with great online systems, easy chat, party chat etc where they can game with friends and use gaming as a way to stay in touch.

It is one of many things they must fix if they want to be relevant in the core gamer market for home consoles. They get away with it on 3ds as people care less about online mp etc in portables. But it's a huge deal on consoles.

The huge backlash the WiiU is getting sucks. I actually traded in my PS4 and kept my WiiU because I'm having more fun with it. I still have my ps3 though because my backlog is huge and I do like the online aspect. The lack of PS4 backwards compatibility was really my selling point in well selling it (and the two games it currently has).

@gamecollectorandrew: I agree. It's a fun console with some fun games. I understand that Nintendo/Mario/Zelda games aren't everyone's cup of tea but just to openly dismiss it based on spec, without having any fun with the console, seems kind of short sided.

Nintendo threw their hat into the ring with a system that seems ideally suited for local multiplayer. But most everyone interested in local multiplayer doesn't have $300 to throw around. Local multiplayer games are easier to set up when you are very young. Once you get older coordinating schedules to meet up with friends and family becomes increasingly more difficult. And often when you do get these social engagements together, most of the participants are so tired that they prefer a more passive form of entertainment. (watching movies and TV shows)

Part of the secret for local multiplayer for an older audience is simply lowering the barrier to entry and raising the convenience as much as possible.

bread's done
Back