Skylanders SF - Heavy Duty Sprocket (S2) Variant - BBY - $9.99/$7.99 GCU

token2k6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
146 (100%)
Just got an e-mail from Best Buy and really had no idea about this variant (not that I've been researching variants like I did with the first game and a little with Giants) But its in stock a-plenty for in-store pick-up and shipping.

Link http://www.bestbuy.com/site/skylanders-swap-force-series-2-character-pack-heavy-duty-sprocket-xbox-360-playstation-3-nintendo-wii-nintendo-3ds/3122111.p;jsessionid=C5B4DFE1D115E471393EE892E7E4DF8B.bbolsp-app02-111?id=1219087804834&skuId=3122111&st=3122111&lp=1&cp=1&ref=126&loc=220&CampaignID=525281&SubscriberID=19948">

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm not gambling on Skylander variants any longer.  They've already shown their hand and that they really aren't making most of these limited enough to be worthwhile.  See the Legendary variants from TRU that rose in value for the first two games because they were gone immediately and yet the Swap Force ones linger on the shelves through Christmas.

Yeah, I'm not gambling on Skylander variants any longer. They've already shown their hand and that they really aren't making most of these limited enough to be worthwhile.
I'm not so sure that I agree. The Frito Lay Orange Fright Rider, Quick Draw Rattle Shake, Snowderdash, Gold Fire Kracken, and even Nitro Magna Zone, Enchanted Hoot Loop, and Jolly Bumble Blast are hard to find now. That's on top of the Gold Wash Buckler, and crystal red Camo/clear Whirlwind.

Edit: Fans are calling this figure Heavy Metal Sprocket, instead of Heavy Duty Sprocket.

I'm not so sure that I agree. The Frito Lay Orange Fright Rider, Quick Draw Rattle Shake, Snowderdash, Gold Fire Kracken, and even Nitro Magna Zone, Enchanted Hoot Loop, and Jolly Bumble Blast are hard to find now. That's on top of the Gold Wash Buckler, and crystal red Camo/clear Whirlwind.

Edit: Fans are calling this figure Heavy Metal Sprocket, instead of Heavy Duty Sprocket.
Well of course there's always going to be some but most of those were ones that were never widely (or ever) distributed. The ones that were (Magna/Hoot/Bumble) all seem to be largely selling for less than retail which is a pretty big change from the last two games. I would absolutely buy get a hold of any of the non-distributed ones if I had the right opportunity but the variants that have been in stores are just way too common unless you want to sit on them for years and hope something hasn't come along and supplanted Skylanders. Grilla Drilla and Rollerbrawl have been harder to find and sell for more than any of the distributed variants.

So is this a variant that shows up differently in game, or is this like the Halloween Eye Brawl where in game it's the same as the normal one?

I think the problem with a lot of the variants, especially the Legendary TRU ones, is that they're kinda ugly. They basically paint over the clear plastic, and they're all black and gold.

So is this a variant that shows up differently in game, or is this like the Halloween Eye Brawl where in game it's the same as the normal one?

I think the problem with a lot of the variants, especially the Legendary TRU ones, is that they're kinda ugly. They basically paint over the clear plastic, and they're all black and gold.
This one doesn't show up any differently in game. I saw this in-store a month or so ago. The back card was no different than the original paint version sitting right next to it just like the Halloween Eye Brawl variant. Typically that's a sign of whether they are different in game or not, For me I could care less about rarity via paint job. If it's different in game then I want it. Otherwise I typically pass.

This one doesn't show up any differently in game. I saw this in-store a month or so ago. The back card was no different than the original paint version sitting right next to it just like the Halloween Eye Brawl variant. Typically that's a sign of whether they are different in game or not, For me I could care less about rarity via paint job. If it's different in game then I want it. Otherwise I typically pass.
Seriously? That's incredibly lame if it doesn't, especially two games in and when there's been backlash every time they pulled that. In this day and age when they could push out a patch with the new skins I find it entirely unacceptable.

Seriously? That's incredibly lame if it doesn't, especially two games in and when there's been backlash every time they pulled that. In this day and age when they could push out a patch with the new skins I find it entirely unacceptable.
I think the likely issue is that it has the same RF chip as the original paint version like the eye brawl did so there likely is no way to actually differentiate between the figures to adapt for a skin change. They just took extra stock, painted it different and called it "special".

I think the likely issue is that it has the same RF chip as the original paint version like the eye brawl did so there likely is no way to actually differentiate between the figures to adapt for a skin change. They just took extra stock, painted it different and called it "special".
Well that makes sense but is even less acceptable to me and they should clearly label the packaging.

The back of the packaging usually has an in-game picture of the character, so if the backing is the same at least they're not guilty of false advertising.  But I agree, lame.

Yeah, most of the variants don't show up as special. If they have their name on the bottom of the package they might show up as special. These games really need to be patched to include special figures (we spend enough for them). I was also disappointed when I got a Big Bang Trigger Happy and it showed up the exact same as regular trigger happy in the game. I could have just lived with regular trigger happy since I already have it and saved my money. Thankfully I got it for $4 because it was a random Target online item.

My take on it is if you are able to easily buy a variant for the same price as the regular figure go ahead. Otherwise I just skip them. Though I did manage to get enchanted hoot loop.

Yeah, most of the variants don't show up as special. If they have their name on the bottom of the package they might show up as special. These games really need to be patched to include special figures (we spend enough for them). I was also disappointed when I got a Big Bang Trigger Happy and it showed up the exact same as regular trigger happy in the game. I could have just lived with regular trigger happy since I already have it and saved my money. Thankfully I got it for $4 because it was a random Target online item.

My take on it is if you are able to easily buy a variant for the same price as the regular figure go ahead. Otherwise I just skip them. Though I did manage to get enchanted hoot loop.
I think you're missing the point that if the chip is the same, patching won't do anything.

Did you upgrade Big Bang all the way up?

I felt the same about Mega Ram Spyro. He looked the same as regular spyro, but when I fully upgraded him, he got the horns. I wonder if Trigger Happy is the same.

bread's done
Back