Not A Graphic Designer So Wanting To Know If This Is Possible and HoW?

Sean Price

CAG Newbie
Hello All,

I have spent the last few hours researching the crap out of this and got nowwhere.. I need help!

This is in reference to the classic Nintendo Super Mario Bros. 2 video game.  There is a specific screen of the game that I would love to print out and frame. 

It is the "Please Select Your Player.." Screen shown below:
20120516023504!Character_Select_Prototype_(Super_Mario_Bros._2).png

smb2_player_select_glitch_2.png

You see how the selected character(Mario in the 1st one) shows up in color when being considered for selection.. i.e. if I move over to the the princess she will show up in her pink garb instead of the dreaded blues.. ect, ect. 

1. I want to print this picture and frame it in my room but how can I make it so that all 4 characters show up in color?

any input or ideas?

2. Would also like to print it on normal size paper, i.e. landscape mode on normal paper which I think is 8.5x11 right?... So how to stretch it out or make it bigger? 

Is what I am trying to do possible, and if so HOW would it be done?

I tried googling the crap out of this and for one its almost impossible to even find the original pics(player selection screen) much less any showing anyone other than Mario selected.. 

ANY and ALL help and input is very much appreciated!! 

oNe

P.s. I am thinking that this is gonna involve that magical program that I know NOTHING about.. Photoshop CS3 right?  Anyways school a young kn@ckKka

Oh, hey, cool, a late night project.

Well, since it's a black background, it's very easy to do. Find a way to screen cap them individually, cut 'em out, paste them on the original image.. I went ahead and did three versions for you: one w/ all characters lit up w/ arrow and extra lives, one w/ all characters lit up and just extra lives, and one w/ all characters lit up. As far as resizing, someone else will have to help you there.

7xS2PV1.jpg

8aO1cDc.jpg

GWxsjY9.jpg

This was just a quick and dirty edit, apologies if they're not perfectly aligned. Hope I helped.

I Was thinking just can do color picker tool and take the color and just do paint bucket and do it that way. Easy and can be done on any computer.

HOLY MUTHAPh@ckKKing CHRISSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G@t D@mmit!!!  I have spent the last few weeks(not to mention months researching this) and NOTHING..

I post it on here and you GENTS whip it out in a matter of minutes!!

HOW THE HIZZY did you accomplish it tho?

I must learn how..

Not knowing yall would RESOLVE this in a matter of min's.. I was still on google GOOGLING how to do this..

I feel like a snake asking this.. BUT is there any way it can be done out of this image? 

Its a much better image.. the reds are DEEPER and the colors seem sharper than the Orange curtains..

mb2.png

See the Image on the Right?  It has the better colors..  but we don't need that extra frilly stuff around the edges, the orange/blue diamonds against the white background.   jus the Mario image..

What say gents, One more quick stab at it?

Ultimately I want to print this on a 8.5x11 LANDSCAPE mode..

THank You, THANK YOU!!!

oNe

Ahh, the Mario All Stars version of SMB2. Agreed, it's much more vibrant. Here you go. As far as rotating and resizing it.. I can rotate it, but I'm a little iffy on resizing. Someone here can just grab it and rotate it then resize it. I did all three for you again because I wasn't sure what you were looking for in terms of the arrow and extra life text.

cApaR16.jpg

67RyKzU.jpg

C9awZRo.jpg

Hope these were what you were looking for.

/edit: I misred it, you didn't want the diamonds. Try these.

4ZnK34o.jpg

WssdF0h.jpg

JCmNRxD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, the Mario All Stars version of SMB2. Agreed, it's much more vibrant. Here you go. As far as rotating and resizing it.. I can rotate it, but I'm a little iffy on resizing. Someone here can just grab it and rotate it then resize it. I did all three for you again because I wasn't sure what you were looking for in terms of the arrow and extra life text.

cApaR16.jpg

67RyKzU.jpg

C9awZRo.jpg

Hope these were what you were looking for.

/edit: I misred it, you didn't want the diamonds. Try these.

4ZnK34o.jpg

WssdF0h.jpg

JCmNRxD.jpg
Scorch, you sure know your games!!! True Player right hurrr!

Also, you sir are a gentleman of the highest regard, I can't believe that you did this and also how got d@m quick you did it!!

Rocko, thanks as well!!

I had no idea, CaG people got down like this.. initially I just posted hoping against hope that someone could just point me in the right direction..but INSTEAD yall even did it for me..

no words, truly SPEECHLESS, I am big cheesing right now like you have no idea!

still cant' believe it, I mean not like a day job but I have seriously been having this project in me now for over a year... I would research it here and there and never really got anywhere!

This is above and beyond what I was looking for... I cannot thank you enough!!

This is just.. man..its just, its just so F@#%&* AWESOME!!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

EXACTLY what I wanted!! Thanks!

going to bed now as its bout to be 2am where I'm at but I had to stay up to THANK YALL!!

Scorch you the sh*t my man!!

RESPECT!!

I'm in the back screaming HOLLA at me GIPP

oNe

P.S. Scorch, Rocko.. are these trade secrets or what? Come on you gotta tell me how you did it.. sheeeeeeit, even just telling me the tool you used would be something.. PhotoShop CS3 or wait.. Illustrator CS3 right? Or is it that Corel Draw program? Surely not done in Autodesk Maya 2008 right? Come one I'm dying here, too awesome!!!

I just used MSPaint. Just took a screen cap of the menu as a template, then highlighted each character, screen capped, cut out the character and put it on the original. Took about five minutes. I'm glad I could help!

I just used MSPaint. Just took a screen cap of the menu as a template, then highlighted each character, screen capped, cut out the character and put it on the original. Took about five minutes. I'm glad I could help!
You probably also need to explain to him that you used an emulator to load the All-Stars version of SMB2, which allowed you to take those screen caps (since he was just Googling for images). Judging by the general tone of the OP's posts, I'd guess he's in the 12-15 range and doesn't seem to have a large knowledge of these things. But I will definitely echo his sentiments about CAG being awesome for those who helped out. Nice work, guys.

Young or old, that would be a nice picture for any bedroom or game room to have.  Classic and timeless for all ages.  :D/

Good work, high fives all around.

You probably also need to explain to him that you used an emulator to load the All-Stars version of SMB2, which allowed you to take those screen caps (since he was just Googling for images). Judging by the general tone of the OP's posts, I'd guess he's in the 12-15 range and doesn't seem to have a large knowledge of these things. But I will definitely echo his sentiments about CAG being awesome for those who helped out. Nice work, guys.
haha, I don't know whether to be offended or insulted? Ha, i'll go with INSULTED!! Granted I am known to get extremely excited and Saturday night was no exception, however I am SO NOT in the 12-15yr range...

I'm actually 35 and work in IT, however don't know jack about Graphic Design... still marveling at how this was done on MSPaint and not Photoshop, WOW, just wow!

I thought about the emulator part but since I am work and don't have a pc at home can't well should I say, shouldn't install an emulator on a Work PC..

Anyways back to the INSULTED part.. you sir, owe me a duel!!! Shall we say Pistols at dawn?? WINK!

Also CarnivalMadness speaks the TRUTH!!

Young or old, that would be a nice picture for any bedroom or game room to have. Classic and timeless for all ages. :D/

Good work, high fives all around.

Initially I was just posting on here for guidance, NEVER did I think someone would hook me up like it was done here!

Outstanding stuff!! That same night I also joined like 5 graphic Design forums and the only ones that even understood what I was asking was the CAG peeps!

CAG RULES!!! never even realized there was more to CAG than the Video Game Deals forum section!

oNe

35 huh? I'm guessing you haven't touched MS Paint since Win 3.11. Don't worry, you're not the only one. Until recently, I haven't either. :D

But yeah, MS Paint isn't like what it used to be and FAR more advanced in what it can do.

35...using terms like "I'm in the back screaming HOLLA at me GIPP"...who works in IT...but doesn't have a PC at home...and has trouble grasping how overlaying images from multiple screen caps works. I really don't mean to be insulting. But I find all of this astonishing. Not that it makes any kind of difference...just personally amusing. I'm happy you were able to get the help you needed. I hope that print comes out well (though, I have to say I'm curious where you're printing it from if you don't have a home PC). :)

35...using terms like "I'm in the back screaming HOLLA at me GIPP"...who works in IT...but doesn't have a PC at home...and has trouble grasping how overlaying images from multiple screen caps works. I really don't mean to be insulting. But I find all of this astonishing. Not that it makes any kind of difference...just personally amusing. I'm happy you were able to get the help you needed. I hope that print comes out well (though, I have to say I'm curious where you're printing it from if you don't have a home PC). :)

35...using terms like "I'm in the back screaming HOLLA at me GIPP"
You sir, OBVIOUSLY are not a Hip-Hop head are you?? all I can say aside from that your MISSING OUT is this: Who's that peeking in my window, POW!! Nobody now! <-- I will drop if somebody here gets this!

...who works in IT...but doesn't have a PC at home...and has trouble grasping how overlaying images from multiple screen caps works. I really don't mean to be insulting. But I find all of this astonishing. Not that it makes any kind of difference...just personally amusing. I'm happy you were able to get the help you needed. I hope that print comes out well (though, I have to say I'm curious where you're printing it from if you don't have a home PC). :)
But yeah my dude, as you can see from my posts, I have the GIFT OF GAB.. I tell you and my peoples would say the same, "how the h#LL did you get that job" in regards to my IT Position.. but I do wonder the same thing myself at times.. Its all about the interview I guess. But yeah I'm looking to take it to the next level, so I guess I need to start looking into certifications..CompTIA most likely right? Probably the A+ 1st I imagine as I think that would be the one to get under my belt as its pretty much entry level is what I hear!

and has trouble grasping how overlaying images from multiple screen caps works.
Still have no real idea what that even means?? haha, oh well!

N yeah, i'm at work now, so obviously thats where I'm going to print from.. but you brought up some interesting points.. I need to figure out how to BEST print this!! May have to come back to yall about that!!

Also I am playing with MSPaint as we speak.. so far it still looks the same as it did for me back on Win 95!!

I will let yall know!

Thanks!

oNe

P.S. All this talk of computers, graphic design, MSPaint, Photoshop, AND EMULATORS has me inspired to hit up my parents for some of their old computers and get 1 running for home use!

You sir, OBVIOUSLY are not a Hip-Hop head are you?? all I can say aside from that your MISSING OUT is this: Who's that peeking in my window, POW!! Nobody now! <-- I will drop if somebody here gets this!
Goodie Mob - Cell Therapy, come on there are hip-hop heads on CAG, Mic Tyson. We even have a thread that gets buried all the time. On that check it out I will be bumping it for some free stuff.

Goodie Mob - Cell Therapy, come on there are hip-hop heads on CAG, Mic Tyson. We even have a thread that gets buried all the time. On that check it out I will be bumping it for some free stuff.
IMPRESSIVE!!

got me on the Mic Tyson at that!!!

but ay man look, I was referencing my son once on here and called him my lil seed and peeps on here like to flip the F out so thats where I'm coming from..

Its all in good fun tho.. I took n8rockerasu's words to heart.. N He was right(i should have kwown better), after playing around with it a little bit I was finally able to figure out how they was doing it and actually made my own versions.. good stuff!

Now the question is or should I say.. what I need help with now..

How to Best PRINT THIS OUT?

I mean I just printed it on a color paper at work.. but not sure how but I find it lacking..

Anyone have ideas on how to best PRINT THIS?

End result is that I want to put it in a picture frame to hang on a wall...

thanks in advance!

oNe

bread's done
Back