the new "Games I just couldn't get into" Thread.

6er

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I made one like this a few years ago, was pretty popular for awhile.

DQM - Joker 2. Got it when Best Buy had it for $5 in late 2012, saw a lot of praise. I'm 4 hours in and it just seems aimless and boring. I might spend a little more time but I'm not interested yet.

The Dragon Age games. Figured I'd like them since I loved Mass Effect and they're made by the same company, but it's just dull to me.

Dishonored - Nothing about it hooked me. About to give it another try.

Scribblenauts - My only problem was that it didn't give me full free creativity like I expected. Unmasked fixed a few of those problems.

FF XIII - I tried so, so hard. 30 hours in and I just couldn't play anymore because I hated almost everyone outside of Vanille (I'd still stick it to her).

Oblivion - Jesus, this game was dull. I just could not play for longer than 5 hours.

Condemed 2 Bloodshot. The scenes were so dark it was hard to see the game on my television.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. I got spoiled by COD2 and later games.

inFamous and its sequel - Literally has the most generic protagonist of all-time.  The only part of the games I remember is "grinding" on power lines.

Any Elder Scrolls game - See CaptainJoel's remarks.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - I really enjoyed the first Deus Ex and the cyberpunk theme, but the gameplay wasn't interesting to me.  Since it is on Playstation Plus, I am thinking of giving it a second chance.

The entire Dead Space trilogy. I tried to get into it, but it just didn't work for me.

Resident Evil 5 and 6. Just no. Bring back the tank controls.

Dragon Age - Started up both games and got a few hours in. But I lost intrest.

Persona 4 Arena - I love love love the Persona series and fighting games. But I rented this and just didn't care for learning the system.

Dishonered - I feel bad about this one since it was a X-Mas present from my wife.

Borderlands 2 - I played the hell out of the first one but when I started playing this it just felt like more of the same, like I already played this and didn't feel like doing it again.

Skate 3 - Like the above I played Skate 2 to death but when I got Skate 3 I realized I've done all this before and it just felt tedious.

I'd say:

Dragon Age.  I put in maybe about two hours into it.  Never felt compelled to continue.

Time Shift.  I got stuck somewhere and didn't bother.

Dark Sector.  I got bored and kept getting cheap deaths.

Motorstorm.  I actually enjoyed Arctic Edge more on PS2.

Edit:  Forgot to add these.

Gundam Crossfire.  I got stuck somewhere and became frustrated at the controls.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.  I just couldn't take down that Star Destroyer, gave up after several attempts.  The Tie Fighters before it didn't help either.

Edit 2:  Additional

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.  I couldn't figure out where and what I was supposed to do most of the time in that game. 

Last edited by a moderator:
GTA 3 and IV.  Gave 3 like 15 hours and IV around 22.  I liked some parts of it it, but just overall don't like the setting, controls, lack of in mission check points, playing as a bad guy, and I'm not into dicking around in sandbox games so that part doesn't do anything for me.  I need to be doing quests, advancing story etc. to have fun in a game like this.

Ninja Gaiden/DMC/GoW (to a lesser extent)--just not much of a fan of these type of action games. Especially the really hard/skill based ones like NG.  The more button masher ones like GoW are better on that front, but I just get bored with fast.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (never played the first)- I just quickly got bored with trying to figure out what to do and thought the controls were a bit clunky (really needed dual analog controls).

GTA Series. I'm just not a huge fan of sandbox games. Red Dead and Sleeping Dogs are exceptions because my cousin worked on RDR and SD is Very immersive.

DDR. It's a good workout, but I play games to relax; not burn calories.

Star Ocean. As an action RPG, it just never made sense to me.

Tony Hawk. I'd rather skate and do tricks IRL rather than play a game. Total waste of time.

Bioshock Infinite - I really wanted to and expected to like this because despite a few issues, the original Bioshock was one of my favorite games last gen.  With Infinite, I just couldn't attach myself to the story at all, Columbia didn't grab me in any way like Rapture did, I disliked Elizabeth's character, and none of the other characters seemed interesting at all to me.  The only thing that kept me going for part of the game was the shooty plasmidy gameplay, but even that wasn't great or anything, and I had more fun with that stuff in Bioshock 2.  

The Last of Us - I only played this for a few hours, but I was just really bored during that time.  The story and characters just weren't compelling at all to me, and plenty of time was spent with the game being cinematic, which is fine if it's interesting to me, but in this case that stuff just dragged on.  And then when some gameplay did happen, it felt clunky, and I just couldn't gel with it.  I'm glad other people seemed to like it, but it just felt off to me.

Paper Mario Sticker Star - I liked this at first, but eventually I just kept feeling like a lot of the puzzles were obtuse or too hidden for my brain.  The paper style of the graphics meshed extremely well with the 3D effect of the 3DS, but the actual act of playing the game just got too boring for me.

Any of the GTA games - Never has appealed to me, I don't get off on slaughtering people aimlessly which leaves the missions and narrative which I feel a ton of games have done better. Don't care for any of the Saint's Row games besides  4 either (dem super powers)

Mass Effect 3 - Loved 2, would consider it one of my favorite games of the 360 / PS3 gen. Put down 3 after about 5 hours and never felt compelled to pick it back up. I didn't sell it off, though - so maybe someday.

Borderlands 2 - Pretty much the same exact reasons as Rodimus above.

Any JRPG after Final Fantasy X - I don't know if I just outgrew the genre or they've changed a bunch, but I just can't play them anymore. FF6-10, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are some of my favorite games, but something has just changed. Every single one these days seems to be either complete nonsense story wise, or just be a pile of anime and JRPG cliches and gags. Maybe someday another one will grab my attention (I do love the Fire Emblem series, though. Pretty much only for the gameplay, most of the character interactions in Awakening were cringe-worthy).

Pokemon - Loved Red and Blue, have bought a bunch of them and haven't finished any since, including X.

The Dragon Age games. Figured I'd like them since I loved Mass Effect and they're made by the same company, but it's just dull to me.
Haha. I am the exact opposite. Love Dragon Age. DA2 even wasnt THAT bad. Mass Effect is so boring for me. I do not care for shooters to begin with so that may be why. Also I hate the Star Trek sci fi stuff.

The Last of Us. Its not a bad game but the gameplay just doesnt have anything special to it for me. Never made me want to turn my PS3 on again to play. The story can be the greatest in the world, if the gameplay doesnt do it for me I just cant get into it.

Resident Evil 6 - Tried the Leon campaign, hearing it touted as being closer to a real RE experience. Couldn't get through more than a few hours. The rolling around and kung-fu moves were ridiculous and felt clumsy. The cutscenes eschewed RE cheesiness for just utter boredom. Any atmosphere was completely destroyed by having a co-op partner, constantly running/having to help idiot NPCs, and "kill all enemies" sections.

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team - So many goddamn tutorials. Couldn't deal with the constant over-explaining and hand-holding, traded it in.

Mass Effect 3 - Played like 10 minutes before realizing ME2's shitty storyline had destroyed all interest I had in the series.

Dragon's Dogma - I normally love RPGs and dark settings like this, but for some reason I couldn't get into it.  Maybe it was the combat or the lack of direction for the first few hours...

Mass Effect 1 - I plan on going back to it, but I had just finished a long and involved game prior so I should have just jumped into something light.  I never even left the Citadel, as I was exploring that huge monster of a place.

oh man, here goes...

Bioshock 1:  I played this for the first time last year.  I picked up the Ultimate Rapture Edition on a whim before Infinite came out since I had heard good things about the series and wanted to jump in.  I got just over halfway through the first game and couldn't stomach any more. The story wasnt interesting (and yes, I knew the big twist), the atmosphere was so BORING with no characters to interact with, the environment was depressing, the enemies were bullet sponges, and the rest of the gameplay had no appeal.  Traded that and Bioshock 2 in right away.  I did get Infinite on PS+ last month so maybe I'll give that a shot but man I hated the first game.

The Last Of Us:  While its beautiful graphically, everything else is a letdown for me with this game.  A bland story, mediocre lead characters, no side characters outside of Bill were even remotely interesting, lots of physics glitches (Ellie would pick up a ladder and it would go right THROUGH her), AI retardedness, not much good in it at all.  Blasted through the story in a week and a half and then sold it for $33 on Amazon (I got it on Black Friday for $25) so at least I didnt lose any money from it.

Infamous 1:  Another series of high praise, but I had a tough time getting into this one when I first played it last fall.  I really didnt like the characters (Cole was okay, Zeke was awful and the rest werent much better), found the environment boring, enemies took forever to die, Karma system didnt work well, just a tough game for me to get into.  

Borderlands series:   Once again a big-name series.  My biggest problems with the series were that dying cost money (yeah I know you get a lot of money in the game but I think losing money for dying is a bullshit move by the game) and how enemies in 2 felt like bullet sponges.  The story was forgettable in both games too and frankly, I dont need 50 million different guns to kill enemies with.  I got good value for both games but after beating the story have had no desire to replay either entry in the series.

Final Fantasy series:  I havent played an entry since the PS1 era but man oh man was I bored stiff with these games.  Never understood the hype for them.

Red Dead Redemption - having lived in Southern California my whole life (Inland Empire, specifically), the area in the game is too similar topographically to where I've lived for me to get into the game. It's essentially the same core gameplay as GTA IV, but without the big city atmosphere; which felt like a fresh experience to me, as someone who has never lived in a big city.

I haven't yet played the single player, though, so the story may hook me.

Red Dead Redemption - having lived in Southern California my whole life (Inland Empire, specifically), the area in the game is too similar topographically to where I've lived for me to get into the game. It's essentially the same core gameplay as GTA IV, but without the big city atmosphere; which felt like a fresh experience to me, as someone who has never lived in a big city.

I haven't yet played the single player, though, so the story may hook me.
I remember buying RDR years ago on Black Friday for $30. I played a couple levels and was bored stiff and traded it right in. After hearing a ton of praise for the game I decided to gamble on the GOTY edition for $20 a couple years ago on Amazon, and found myself liking it better the second time around. The middle of the game still drags for me, but it's a solid purchase. I would give te story a shot if I were you.

Seconding giving RDR story another shot. It's actually pretty decent.

Another game I could never get into was FF7. I'm going to give it another whirl though.

I left one game off my list: Kingdoms of Amalur. Boring story, boring characters, very hit or miss combat, and poor save points (which was another thing I HATED about the Borderlands series)

All MMOs. I keep telling myself I need to get into one, but when I try one that looks interesting I turn it down the next day. Specifically Guild Wars and Runescape. I should be done now though :)

Catherine, I heard it was weird, quirky and very Japanese so I decided to grab it on sale. It never grabbed me and I felt the game was boring. Still have it though.

The Legend of Zelda series... I get why they're good and why people love them. I just feel like I need to constantly have a guide nearby otherwise I'd have no idea what to do.

I enjoyed the charm and presentation of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon but felt no compelling urge to play beyond the first mansion.

Agreed on Okami, as well as RDR unfortunately.  There are games you like, then games you want to like, which those both were in the latter.

It's probably been said before but Final Fantasy XIII. Just a cruddy game --everything of the story is explained in datalogs after the cutscenes that don't portray that---, bad design and the characters are all meh to ungodly annoying.

Agreed on Okami, as well as RDR unfortunately. There are games you like, then games you want to like, which those both were in the latter.
RDR was my favorite game of this generation. Hahahaha. Crazy how opinions differ so much.

Uncharted Golden Abyss, I still want to try the console uncharted games but I felt the vita version was too slow and u really couldn't stick with it. I'm about 8 chapters in, I'll get back to it after I play some other games. I actually think my 3ds might get some loving again as I gotta open my sealed Mario and Luigi bundle to get the code for Pokemon Y. Then Yoshi's Island is coming out too.

RDR was my favorite game of this generation. Hahahaha. Crazy how opinions differ so much.
I just think it goes to show that some games have personalities that don't mesh with everyone, just like any other type of media. My rule is to try a game twice, after that I'm out. I can see why people liked it, and it actually annoys me that I didn't get into it (and now I want to try it again hahahaha)...

I'm sure I'll think of more, but these three stand out to me right now (as I usually always finish a game I start):

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - After loving RE1 and 2 on the PS1, I was psyched to play as Jill again, but unfortunately the Tyrant mechanic is what made me stop playing and never coming back to it. The idea of an invincible enemy that could chase you through rooms was too much survival and changed horror to annoyance from the original formula.

Dino Crisis - Similar to my disinterest RE3, the idea that you had severely limited ammo to fight enemies as fast (or even faster) than you, that even would respawn in areas you've previous cleared, seemed a bit flawed.  If I wanted to play Clock Tower, I would of, but I think most people played this game expecting to blast dinos than run scared through half the rooms, no?

Majora's Mask - Most people know this one is polarizing, but both times I've tried to finish it (once on the N64, second on the GC collection), I've stopped about halfway with little motivation to keep going.  I blame both the Bomber's notebook obsession (leading to checking online FAQs, which ruined the fun the first time around), and the 3 day resetting mechanic (unique yes, but it didn't jell with me).

Finally played Bastion, side note, sad that it doesn't appear to be slated for any sequel.  

In terms of the Uncharted Series, I was bored and while I owned them all, never got far into 2.  Felt very staged in terms of fights, just didn't get into them.  

Finally played Bastion, side note, sad that it doesn't appear to be slated for any sequel.

In terms of the Uncharted Series, I was bored and while I owned them all, never got far into 2. Felt very staged in terms of fights, just didn't get into them.
The devs who made Bastion, Supergiant Games, are working on a new game. Not a sequel, but worth looking into, called Transistor.

The devs who made Bastion, Supergiant Games, are working on a new game. Not a sequel, but worth looking into, called Transistor.
I knew they were working on something else, thanks for mentioning! I don't have a PS4 yet, but the video looks good with similarities and some new interesting quirks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXq0yuW6BvM for anyone who hadn't known like me! haha...

Didn't like the first few Assassin Creed Games but I like pirates so I thought I'd give the latest one a try.  Nope.  Just not a fan of the gameplay.

Red Dead Redemption - I don't know why as I could see the possibilities in the game and where it won GOTY. It just never pulled me in. I know heresy probably

Dragon age- I tried and tried just couldn't get into it after playing years of MMOs it just felt like a watered down/ dumbed down version.

FFXIII- I've played every FF including CC and other non main titles. This one I couldn't get into and dredged through. I then had to dredge through the second and now a third.

Demons's Souls- tried to like it, but found it very blah, started to get back into it after beating the first boss, but then got really bored with it again. 

Little Big Planet- had some fun, and was hoping to use it to help my wife get more interested in video games, but just turned into a borefest. 

got rid of both

Im sure there are others, but that's all I can think of right now

Update.

"Batman: Arkham Asylum." 

Maybe I have been spoiled by "Heavy Rain." I just can't get into this Batman game. 

I feel like I'm just wanting the game to be finished.  The story seems so boring.

I guess you have to be a real Batman fan to appreciate Asylum. I hope the other games in the series are better.

Update.

"Batman: Arkham Asylum."

Maybe I have been spoiled by "Heavy Rain." I just can't get into this Batman game.

I feel like I'm just wanting the game to be finished. The story seems so boring.

I guess you have to be a real Batman fan to appreciate Asylum. I hope the other games in the series are better.
I feel the batman games plot is like the older mid 90s batman movies. See bad guy, go there, caught in trap, get out, chase bad guy, win. All the while fighting henchmen with cool gadgets.

I thought they were all fun, but to each their own as I liked the free flow brawl mechanics Rocksteady uses

I feel the batman games plot is like the older mid 90s batman movies. See bad guy, go there, caught in trap, get out, chase bad guy, win. All the while fighting henchmen with cool gadgets.

I thought they were all fun, but to each their own as I liked the free flow brawl mechanics Rocksteady uses
Yeah the beginning of the series has a slow start, and feels super linear since you basically trapped in a huge building. But it picks up after the first game. Just finished Origins not too long ago and was it was actually a great story. I won't spoil it tho, but I will tell you that if you really want to experience the story start with Origins, then go to Arkham Asylum, then City.

I really didn't think the plot was that big of a concern for anyone playing the Arkham games.  Maybe it's just me, but I didn't care about the plots at all, and I had a blast with both Asylum and City.

I really didn't think the plot was that big of a concern for anyone playing the Arkham games. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't care about the plots at all, and I had a blast with both Asylum and City.

The plot does seem kind of generic or maybe I'm more familiar with Batman than I thought. The fighting style is fine, bit of a button masher or maybe I'm just playing the game wrong.

Yeah the beginning of the series has a slow start, and feels super linear since you basically trapped in a huge building. But it picks up after the first game. Just finished Origins not too long ago and was it was actually a great story. I won't spoil it tho, but I will tell you that if you really want to experience the story start with Origins, then go to Arkham Asylum, then City.
I think I'm 45% finished with the game, least that's my understanding of that percentage at the file selection screen. I should have done my homework on this series and probably should have started with Origins. Oh well.

LA Noire - I was expecting to get engrossed into the storyline straight away but after a few of the interrogations and not quite figuring out where I went wrong, I just kinda moved on.

Fable 3 - it's been sat in my 'to be played' pile for yonks now but I keep putting off starting as I haven't had enough free hours to really get into it (hey, Im a parent with young kids - go figure)

No, Origins is entirely forgettable. Asylum is the right place to start. Stick with it and I think you'll enjoy the rest of the game.
I finished Arkham Asylum. Maybe my expectations were too high. I blame "Greatest Hits or Platinum Hits/ Game of the Year Edition" on the cover. Also getting good reviews from critics didn't help.

I will try Arkham City since it will be a part of PS+ some time in April.

bread's done
Back