CAGcast #355: Two and a Half Weeks

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang returns and talks Titanfall beta, Strider, Xbox One vs. PS4 power, Kinect, and other Irrational nonsense.
Download (98 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-355-two-and-a-half

GoDaddy.com Coupon Codes

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro:  Please Stay, Mekon feat Mark Almond - Outro: Genesis Commercial

Akihabara News

Sony's Moved 5.3 Million PS4s; Japan Gets Theirs Saturday
Thanko - Stimulate your muscles while working with the wireless EMS mouse

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Bonus Photo

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have kinect scan you with your hat on and off, same with glasses and with lights on and off it will sign you in every single time with a wave of your hand. I even made a profile for both my chihuahuas and it signs them in when they hop on the couch. Don't bash the sign in feature just because you don't have it setup correctly.

If you plug a headset into PS4 controller, a mic works from somewhere.  Not sure controller or headset, but yeah. 

If you have kinect scan you with your hat on and off, same with glasses and with lights on and off it will sign you in every single time with a wave of your hand. I even made a profile for both my chihuahuas and it signs them in when they hop on the couch. Don't bash the sign in feature just because you don't have it setup correctly.
haha

Hah - I found out from the CAGcast that the Titanfall beta is over. I thought it went till Friday for some reason. Oh well, I downloaded it but neither me nor my son bothered to play it. I got all I want out of that game at PAX - after waiting 2+ hours to play it. Maybe all that wait soured me on the game.

lol i also cannot justify spending $10 to see a movie anymore. maybe star wars episode 7

i think warframe is the big online console game right now on the ps4. i've met tons of people that are playing nothing but warframe despite having bought 3-4 launch games. i'd recommend checking out warframe to anyone who just got a ps4 before dropping any money on games.

im gonna be playing dkctf, castlevania los2, and ps3 backlog until dark souls 2 comes out. i dont plan on turning my ps4 back on until late march for infamous/metal gear.best buy is already sold out of the infamous collector edition. hope they get more of those in stock so i can make use of my 20% off on it.

Getting rid of the Kinect wouldn't have really made the Xbox One more powerful. The reason it struggles to do 1080p has more more to do with them going with DDR3 RAM. The slowness of DDR3 meant they needed to include ESRAM to compensate, which takes up space on the die, leaving less room for the things that make a GPU powerful.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7528/the-xbox-one-mini-review-hardware-analysis/2

The Xbox One APU is a 363mm^2 die, compared to 348mm^2 for the PS4’s APU. Both use a similar 8-core Jaguar CPU (2 x quad-core islands), but they feature different implementations of AMD’s Graphics Core Next GPUs. Microsoft elected to implement 12 compute units, two geometry engines and 16 ROPs, while Sony went for 18 CUs, two geometry engines and 32 ROPs. How did Sony manage to fit in more compute and ROP partitions into a smaller die area? By not including any eSRAM on-die.

Cheapy if that guy tries to dress you up like Cammy and take your picture, it may not be on the up & up.

Name brands aren't that strong for every Sony exclusive, Shipwreck?  Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo and now The Last of Us sell millions with every iteration.

EDIT - Somehow i forgot about God of War.

Name brands aren't that strong for every Sony exclusive, Shipwreck? Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo and now The Last of Us sell millions with every iteration.
Pretty sure that each Infamous game has sold between 1-2 million sales each as well. Not to mention the same was said about Killzone that has since reached over 2 million sales with Shadow Fall. I wonder what sales numbers have to be for a franchise to be considered "strong"?

Concerning the Kinect, I agree MS should just ditch the camera portion and include some type of microphone setup so as not to lose the voice command option, which appears to be the best selling point of Kinect so far.

With only 2 Kinect centered games on the horizon, there is just no reason for it to be included in every bundle.  I really believe that MS thought Sony was going to include a camera with every PS4.  If that would have happened, 3rd party developers would have been more inclined to develop games using motion controls.  Now, there really is no incentive for them.  Why dedicate resources on developing a game that only Xbox One users can play, when you can use those same resources to develop a game that can be ported to both the PS4 and Xbox One thus ensuring a higher return on their investment?

As far as the Xbox One not being able to output at 1080p, I gotta say it has been a deterrent for me when it comes to purchasing the system.  I've been having a 1080p TV in my house for a few years now.  Why should I spend $500 on a system in 2014 that cannot output at 1080p?  It's really sad and disappointing. 

Hmmm...Speaking of Titanfall moving Xbox One consoles, I really don't know if it will move THAT many.

I, speaking from personal experience, and many of my friends that got into the PC beta, that DO NOT OWN a XOne, found out the game is pretty good, we have capable PCs/Laptops to run the game on....so in essence! Why would we spend $560 on a console and a game that we can just play on our VERY MUCH capable PCs/Laptops?

I think Wombat had a very strong argument with the whole 'Is this game really worth $560?!', and the PC/X360 version being a strong opponent to buying a whole new console and a game that is on the other 2 platforms brings the whole 'Wii U vs. 3DS' argument to mind from a podcast a few weeks ago.

I feel like a lot people are going to feel the same, like my friends and I, it's too much of an investment for a game that is available on very established platforms that we owned for years and will give us a similar and/or superior (CheapyD: "PC! PC! PC! PC!") experience at a much cheaper price of admission.

For pete's sake, Titanfall's beta even ran on my '2011 Beats Audio Envy HP 15'6 Laptop' that isn't very much gaming focused, although powerful....it isn't much to brag about, and it doesn't really come close to an Alienware laptop that is SUPPOSED to be Gaming focused. Maybe not at Ultra settings, but it's still rather beautiful and plays as smooth as butter!

I really don't think it's going to THAT many systems, but I could also be wrong... :D

Good show guys! The show today was rather exceptional, and it felt longer than usual although very enjoyable. I can tell going hiatus/on a break can do you guys well, from time to time...A lot of things to talk about and things to catch on with.

Keep it up!

I don't think it's fair, nor accurate, to say that no one care about inFamous. While it won't sell as many copies as Titanfall, it's no stretch to say that it'll sell over 1 million copies. If over million people buy a game, then I don't think you can say that no one cares about it.

Decent show, though :)

Pretty sure that each Infamous game has sold between 1-2 million sales each as well. Not to mention the same was said about Killzone that has since reached over 2 million sales with Shadow Fall. I wonder what sales numbers have to be for a franchise to be considered "strong"?
Infamous is in the same sales range as Crackdown. It's not a franchise that challenges the sales of the major third-person action franchises it is in competition with: ie Assassin's Creed. They are fun games, but they aren't defining enough to make someone choose one platform over the other.

Could MS realistically upgrade the RAM/Graphical working of the Xbox One at some point in the next year or two to make 1080p easier to attain while also getting rid of kinect? What would that mean for those  who have already purchased the console? Trade-in/upgrade program? You're screwed, buy it again? Thoughts?

Infamous is in the same sales range as Crackdown. It's not a franchise that challenges the sales of the major third-person action franchises it is in competition with: ie Assassin's Creed. They are fun games, but they aren't defining enough to make someone choose one platform over the other.
Yeah, but how much of Crackdown 1 sales success was because of the beta included with it? Great game, one of my favs on Xbox, but everyone knows why that game was mainly picked up.

But Ill agree its still on par with Crackdown. Only difference I would say is Sony recognizes Infamous as one of its bigger franchises while Microsoft just has Crackdown exist. I can see your point though.

Nice Cast as always. One thing I haven't seen mentioned, and I'd love to know the official line on this... why do the Xbox Live Arcade games on the Xbox One not have demos as a requirement, as they did on the previous system?

I would love to try Stryder to see if I want it, but I'm not dropping $15 on the off-chance I do. Same goes for Halo Spartan Assault.

Nice Cast as always. One thing I haven't seen mentioned, and I'd love to know the official line on this... why do the Xbox Live Arcade games on the Xbox One not have demos as a requirement, as they did on the previous system?

I would love to try Stryder to see if I want it, but I'm not dropping $15 on the off-chance I do. Same goes for Halo Spartan Assault.
There's no such thing as XBLA on One. All games are just games so MS isn't going to require demos.

Cheapy, did it hurt to shoot the shotgun? 

The one and only time I fired one was when I was very young.  All I remember is the intense pain I felt in my shoulder a second after pulling the trigger.  I thought the kick had dislodged my shoulder and arm from my body!! Haha!!

As far as the Xbox One not being able to output at 1080p, I gotta say it has been a deterrent for me when it comes to purchasing the system. I've been having a 1080p TV in my house for a few years now. Why should I spend $500 on a system in 2014 that cannot output at 1080p? It's really sad and disappointing.
The Xbox One can output 1080p, developers just have a hard time getting games to run at 1080p native but the games will all run in 1080p on Xbox One just like they do on 360.

I haven't finished listening to the podcast yet but I was surprised no one brought up Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare when you guys were talking about upcoming Xbox One games. It won't sell consoles and releasing it two weeks before Titanfall is a big mistake but the game looks awesome. I’m actually more excited for that than Titanfall because it looks like TF 2 with the PvZ license and a lot more content.

Great show as always.

Random thoughts/comments

- Wombat's irrational impatience with Cheapy's stories are almost as funny as Shipwrecks mostly rational impatience with Wombat's theories.

- "No one cares about Infamous" - Shipwreck

Everyone that pre-ordered a PS4 cares about Infamous.  It is hands down the most anticipated launch window PS4 game.

- XB1 will never catch up to PS4 graphically.  Period.  Any gains obtained over time will also be gained on PS4.  SDK improvements, learning to use the eSRAM, none of those make up for the hardware shortcomings.

- If MS ditches Kinect, they are still stuck with an overpriced and underpowered console compared to their competition.

Rather than ditching Kinect, I believe it should fall on MS to prove why it needs to be shoved upon everyone.  If they can come up with the game or app or whatever that makes it must have, then they can be justified with the price and power discrepancies compared to PS4.

What is that game or app?  Beats me.  And shame on MS for not having that figured out at launch.

CAG #354

1:45 Wombat in L.A.
4:30 Cheapy in Guam
9:45 Cheapy as a Street Fighter
16:15 Tai's interview
18:30 Ship in Ohio. (rewiring the A/V)
22:15 Show Feedback
22:15 - Cagcast's SEO success
23:00 Watch This
23:00 - The Lego Movie 3D
27:00 - Thor 2
27:30 Guardians of the Galaxy
28:15 Fantastic 4
29:45 New Releases
29:45 - Strider
32:00 - EDF 2025
33:45 - Assassin's Creed IV standalone DLC
34:45 - Rayman Legends
35:15 - Journal
38:45 Hearthstone
40:15 Titanfall, xb1 vs ps4, kinect
1:08:45 Forza 5 free track; attach rate stats; ps4/xb1 sale stats
1:12:30 PS4 Japan release
1:20:00 Octodad
1:22:00 Irrational Games no more
1:29:45 Threes
1:31:00 Cagbag
1:31:00 - New Tony Hawk
1:32:00 - 4k tv's
1:34:30 - Handling fame

Didn't the PS3 only have 256 ram and the Xbox 360 had 512 ram? I'm not hardware expert but it seems like those 2 systems ended up looking about the same eventually so won't they be able to figure out how to make the PS4 and Xbox One look comparable at some point?

Titanfall is a system selling game, it knows what it is good at and it has the balls to just focus on that. I hope that more studios this gen will stop wasting money trying to add multiplayer or single-player to a game that doesn't need it. We live in a generation that has access to more games then most people have time to play when you look across platforms. I have several friends that never touch the campaign on Call of Duty games and just instantly go to the multiplayer.

Counter-Strike had millions of players for years that just played Multiplayer. Obviously Titanfall is not for everyone, just like Counter-Strike was not for everyone. However, I think the market is ready for something different in the competitive shooters.

The one thing that is going to buffer Titanfall from selling as many system as it potentially could is still going to be the price of the Xbox One. That extra $100 is the breaking point for most people that I know. They are waiting for a price drop to buy an Xbox One. I would be included in that bunch. I am so conditioned to seeing gaming things drop in price that I know if I just wait a year I can get it cheaper.

Nobody cares about infamous? :( I care about infamous. It's one of my favorite series of last gen. I don't have a ps4 (nor a xbone) and I don't plan on getting one soon but when I do get one infamous will be the first game I buy... probably.

Its obvious who is following who on twitter by what the current IOS game making the rounds is.

Its a big circle jerk.

Didn't the PS3 only have 256 ram and the Xbox 360 had 512 ram? I'm not hardware expert but it seems like those 2 systems ended up looking about the same eventually so won't they be able to figure out how to make the PS4 and Xbox One look comparable at some point?

The one thing that is going to buffer Titanfall from selling as many system as it potentially could is still going to be the price of the Xbox One. That extra $100 is the breaking point for most people that I know. They are waiting for a price drop to buy an Xbox One. I would be included in that bunch. I am so conditioned to seeing gaming things drop in price that I know if I just wait a year I can get it cheaper.
My understanding is that both the PS3 and Xbox 360 have the same amount of RAM - 512 MB. The difference is that in the Xbox, the RAM is shared between the CPU and GPU whereas the RAM in the PS was split. Half was dedicated to the CPU while the other half was dedicated to the GPU. This is apparently one of the reasons why it was harder to develop for the PS3.

Are you and your friends considering getting Titanfall on either the 360 or PC? I'm not a PC gamer so I'm quite interested in how the 360 version will turn out but they have not released any information on that version of the game. :bs:

The Xbox One can output 1080p, developers just have a hard time getting games to run at 1080p native but the games will all run in 1080p on Xbox One just like they do on 360.

I haven't finished listening to the podcast yet but I was surprised no one brought up Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare when you guys were talking about upcoming Xbox One games. It won't sell consoles and releasing it two weeks before Titanfall is a big mistake but the game looks awesome. I’m actually more excited for that than Titanfall because it looks like TF 2 with the PvZ license and a lot more content.
My apologies, I should have put "output in native 1080p" in my original post. Did you mean that the Xbox One is upscaling to 1080p? I keep hearing things like "Ryse is 900p, etc", so I wonder how big of a difference it is between native and upscaled 1080p.

I agree - releasing the new Plants vs Zombies or any game on Xbox One (maybe any game on any platform) around the time of Titanfall is going to be a mistake and will be lost in the TF hype.

My question to Shipwreck is why does no one care about Infamous?   

I'm glad that they're doing a reboot of the series, and that it's coming out early with the ps4 life cycle.  I think this next gen graphical update of the game should make it sell well.  It may outsell Titanfall.... after a couple of months.  PS4 outsold xbox 2:1.... that's a big user base that's ready for a next gen game. 

My question to Shipwreck is why does no one care about Infamous?

I'm glad that they're doing a reboot of the series, and that it's coming out early with the ps4 life cycle. I think this next gen graphical update of the game should make it sell well. It may outsell Titanfall.... after a couple of months. PS4 outsold xbox 2:1.... that's a big user base that's ready for a next gen game.
I don't think there is much of a chance that Infamous outsells TitanFall. There were over 80 million PS3s sold and the attach rate for the Infamous franchise was about 1:40. It's not a system seller and there's no reason to think the majority of PS4 owners are going to buy it even in this stage of the console's life. For reference, I think Killzone: Shadow Fall has about a 1:5 attach rate currently. And keep in mind, PS4 outsold Xbox One 2:1 in North America in January, but that's not overall. Overall, it's somewhere in the 5:3 ratio in PS4s favor.

TitanFall is a much easier game to market than Infamous as well. Not only because it's a first-person shooter, but you also know Microsoft and EA are going to advertise the heck out of it.

At least, that's how my mind works.

My understanding is that both the PS3 and Xbox 360 have the same amount of RAM - 512 MB. The difference is that in the Xbox, the RAM is shared between the CPU and GPU whereas the RAM in the PS was split. Half was dedicated to the CPU while the other half was dedicated to the GPU. This is apparently one of the reasons why it was harder to develop for the PS3.

Are you and your friends considering getting Titanfall on either the 360 or PC? I'm not a PC gamer so I'm quite interested in how the 360 version will turn out but they have not released any information on that version of the game. :bs:
The 360 version seems like a cash grab since it is such a big userbase. It makes me think of when I bought Call of Duty: World at War on the Wii, it was missing some game modes and just was a much crappier version but selling at the same price. That was a huge mistake and I don't plan to be a sucker again. They haven't talked about the 360 version but I have a feeling it will have to be missing some things to make it work.

The PC version doesn't appeal to me, mostly because my PC wouldn't run it very well and secondly because Titanfall seems like a game I want to come home from work, put my kids to bed, sit on my couch and shoot some Mech's on my big TV. The appeal to the game seems like big awesome explosions and dude bro love and you can't have the full experience on a little computer screen in your office.

Titanfall reminds me of a game that will be reminiscent of high school days when we used to link 4 xbox's together at my buddies house and play Halo matches all night.

I have never played an Infamous but I remember watching videos of one of the previous ones and it made me think of Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2, because of how overpowered the main hero looked and that seemed boring to me to run around killing easy AI with an overpowered hero. Keep in mind, like I already said, I have never played an infamous game, but I am just telling you, it doesn't make me want to run out and buy a PS4 just to play that game, but Titanfall makes me want an Xbox One to play it.

Listening to the Kinect discussion reminded me a lot about discussions on the Wii U gamepad.  "It's cool when it works, but no one is doing anything with it."  I don't have a One, but the Kinect integration seemed like it was appealing.  It is disheartening that they aren't doing anything with it, but I think I'd rather see them step up and make use of these things than just drop them and be "more powerful systems".

I'm also not sure I agree that Infamous and Assassin's Creed appeal to the same crowds.  At least I enjoy Infamous and hate the Assassin's Creed series.  AC feels a lot more repetitive and slower.  Though AC is undeniably the bigger franchise, and compared to Titanfall... I don't see Infamous moving many consoles.

My apologies, I should have put "output in native 1080p" in my original post. Did you mean that the Xbox One is upscaling to 1080p? I keep hearing things like "Ryse is 900p, etc", so I wonder how big of a difference it is between native and upscaled 1080p.

I agree - releasing the new Plants vs Zombies or any game on Xbox One (maybe any game on any platform) around the time of Titanfall is going to be a mistake and will be lost in the TF hype.
Ya the Xbox one upscales all games to 1080p. The numbers people are talking about like 900p for Ryse and 792p for Titanfall are native(rendering) resolutions not what they will display on your tv. There isn't really much of a noticeable difference between something like 900p upscaled to 1080p vs native 1080p since you have to consider the size of your display and how close you are to to your tv.

Right now I think Microsoft's only problem with the Xbox One is the price. Being $100 more is a tough sell when both consoles have mostly the same library of games. Only the hardest of the "hardcore" care about how many ps the games have and like Cheapy and Shipwreak these gamers will most likely end up just buying both eventually.

I am ****ing done w/ Hearthstone.  That game is soooo broken.  The arena needs to have like 5 choices per card, it needs a guaranteed 1-3 rares a draft choice or 1 epic/legendary, you need more cards in a deck and more opening hands.  More card draw, just uggg that game. 

I'm going back to Magic

I find it interesting Shipwreck dismisses Infamous saying "you can just play Assassin's Creed IV". They are the same kind of game, that's true. But maybe I've already played Assassin's Creed IV and want to play something new.

And besides, since when is the presence of a game in the same genre mean a game isn't a big deal or isn't a system seller. I don't hear him dismissing Titanfall saying "you can just play Call of Duty". Instead he thinks Titanfall will not only sell, but sell consoles. I don't see why inFamous all that much different.

Also, we have a word for a "long, flexible thin piece of metal" (the description of a flexbit). It's called a "wire".

Good luck with your wiring project. Sure looks like a lot of work, but I seems in your own way you actually like the project as much as your result so it's all good.

Well I've never heard of 3s until now...thank a lot, ugg.

Didn't Flappy Bird come out over a year ago? And it was just some stupid rip off game no one cared about. How and why did the dumb thing explode?

Great show guys.
I always thought the Xbox One was going to get Microsofted and it's turning out to be turn.

Just as Xbox division is starting to get on a roll, they get pulled into the MS bureaucracy where every useless feature needs to get rolled into everything.

As someone who has played Infamous 1/2 and AC 1-3, outside of the climbing mechanic, the games are pretty different (even then, AC's climbing involves much more platforming than Infamous'). AC's combat system is more visceral and action oriented, whereas Infamous plays like a third person/cover shooter with powers in place of guns. Stealth also isn't a viable option with Infamous, and while it isn't perfect in AC, it can at least be employed in most instances. Plus, the story of Infamous is just modern day superhero fare, whereas AC has historical settings, figures, etc.

If a fan of one series bought a game from the other expecting it to be the same type of game, they may be disappointed.

Right now I think Microsoft's only problem with the Xbox One is the price. Being $100 more is a tough sell when both consoles have mostly the same library of games.
I know the $100.00 price difference was a definite factor in my decision to purchase the PS4 first. My plan is to wait for the Xbox One's price to drop to at least $399. By then, I will be able to purchase the launch titles for cheap. O:)

Thanks for another podcast.

I don't think there is much of a chance that Infamous outsells TitanFall. There were over 80 million PS3s sold and the attach rate for the Infamous franchise was about 1:40. It's not a system seller and there's no reason to think the majority of PS4 owners are going to buy it even in this stage of the console's life. For reference, I think Killzone: Shadow Fall has about a 1:5 attach rate currently. And keep in mind, PS4 outsold Xbox One 2:1 in North America in January, but that's not overall. Overall, it's somewhere in the 5:3 ratio in PS4s favor.
What the new Infamous has going for it I think is it's marketing potential. To me a huge improvement comes from dropping vanilla Cole and the grungy cities he used to explore. They've created a striking character in an iconic American city which should help relate the game to a general audience.

Killzone attach rate can't be 1:5 as that would mean over 10 million PS4s have been sold. Sony stated they sold 2.1 million by mid-January, putting it closer to an insane 50 percent attach rate at the time: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447361/killzone-shadow-fall-sales-pass-21-million/

People got new consoles and were hungry for software, so this is another big exclusive that could get a big boost. I just find it really hard to guess how this new one will do based on previous games and if it'll latch on to the general public. We'll see if these cosmetic improvements help the series.

I know Cheapy was joking, but I also preferred Hearthstone over Titanfall...as least as far as betas are concerned.  During the loading screen that appears during matchmaking one of the fake possibilities for an opponent is "Wombat Warlock."  It's fate, Wombat needs to play more.

Speaking of Wombat Warlock, allow me to interrupt the Infamous fanboy attack on Shipwreck to give Wombat some grief.  Ken Levine is an A$$ hole?!?  If indeed he was responsible for the firing of those employees, than let's not forget he was also responsible for hiring them and providing them with jobs in the first place.  Without him, those particular jobs, don't exist.  Plus, I'm guessing having "Irrational Games" on your resume is going to be pretty helpful when seeking out new positions.  Those folks should be fine.

OK, back to yelling at Shipwreck for always being right...

My 13 yr old thinks Hearthstone is awesome.  

I'm also one of those that also gets sunburnt in every spot imaginable.  Any part of my skin that I miss with lotion or where the lotion wears off  turns red.  I I always have weird red patches in random locations after being out in the sun.  The wife always laughs.

The bots in Titanfall could be the game's downfall.  Not enough to attract the Wombats of the world and 1 bot too many to attract the multiplayer gamers of the world.  The bots are a turn-off to me.

I also have doubts on the game wooing the military shooter crowd.   There's  a massive install base of players strongly  concerned with all the real world guns, weapons and vehicles out there.    That crowd isn't switching to a sci-fi type shooter with bots.  

TF  isn't enough to get people to shell out $500+ for an X1.  People will get it on 360 first and probably stay with it on there because that's where their friends will be.  Considering the X1's current price and how early it is I think TF actually may be launching at a bad time.  

Kinect is too flakey and too expensive and 20+ million consumers just bought Kinect.  Good luck trying to convince them to buy it again.    Kinect wasn't strong enough tech to justify including it with every X1 at $100 higher pricepoint.  And now it isn't new and novel like it was on the 360.  

There were over 80 million PS3s sold and the attach rate for the Infamous franchise was about 1:40. It's not a system seller and there's no reason to think the majority of PS4 owners are going to buy it even in this stage of the console's life. For reference, I think Killzone: Shadow Fall has about a 1:5 attach rate currently.
Are you really comparing the sales of a new IP and it's sequel to the 4th (console) iteration of a game? Not to mention the difference in how sales work for titles released 3+ years into the console's life vs. being one of few launch titles.

I do believe that Titanfall will outsell Infamous, but I don't think it's because people don't like/want Infamous.

I agree with Wombat that my one complaint about Titanfall is that I wanted more grunts to kill.  Having played a lot of Mass Effect 3 multi-player I think that kind of co-op against increasingly difficult bots would really work when you throw in a bunch of Titans in the mix. 

I have never been that bothered about there not being a "great" Kinect game. I love Kinect for everything else it does.  I think that stuff will only get better when they add apps to the mix for the Xbox One  For me, Kinect is the biggest compelling feature for either of the two new consoles.  The only special things about either of them is the Kinect stuff. 

TitanFall is a much easier game to market than Infamous as well. Not only because it's a first-person shooter, but you also know Microsoft and EA are going to advertise the heck out of it.

At least, that's how my mind works.
I think you hit upon the dirty little secret about Sony's vaunted advantage with their internal studios is most of those games were not gigantic hits. Outside of Uncharted none of the new IPs Sony launched last generation broke out beyond the 1 - 2 million barrier. At best most of them made back their development money, but they rarely moved additional Playstation 3s.

I am pretty sure Gears of Wars alone outsold most of those games combined.

I am loving hearthstone too, I've got a level 20 hunter and a level 20 priest too. What is your favorite deck?

Thanks for another podcast.

What the new Infamous has going for it I think is it's marketing potential. To me a huge improvement comes from dropping vanilla Cole and the grungy cities he used to explore. They've created a striking character in an iconic American city which should help relate the game to a general audience.

Killzone attach rate can't be 1:5 as that would mean over 10 million PS4s have been sold. Sony stated they sold 2.1 million by mid-January, putting it closer to an insane 50 percent attach rate at the time: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447361/killzone-shadow-fall-sales-pass-21-million/

People got new consoles and were hungry for software, so this is another big exclusive that could get a big boost. I just find it really hard to guess how this new one will do based on previous games and if it'll latch on to the general public. We'll see if these cosmetic improvements help the series.
2.1 million "sold-in". That's how many Killzones Sony has sold to retailers. That's not how many have been sold to consumers. There's absolutely no way that 50% of PlayStation 4 owners bought Killzone.

bread's done
Back