Where are the PS4s?

TEC

CAGiversary!
I've been looking for a few weeks now. They are sold out everywhere. I would buy one online but I've heard way too many stories of UPS workers handling packages horribly. I know they get handled by people either way(delivery to home or store), but would you recommend buying something like a PS4 online? If so, where is a good place? Everyone seems to be sold out right now and I'm not paying more than the $399 tag.

Haven't brought a PS4 online but brought plenty of hardware online without any problem.
In a lot of instances I would prefer to buy online---it's usually cheaper as I can link cashback sites.

I don't like buying from any SHC company as they tend to pull inventory from stores so it's likely you'd get an item that's been sitting out. And buying from a Kmart or Sears store without inspecting it first can be trouble....

But back to the question at hand... I'd expect that Japan will be Sony's focus for the next few weeks so I bet they're increasing production for that region and will get back to the U.S. soon.

People are still having trouble finding these? Wow, I haven't really been paying attention to their availability, but that's ridiculous considering its been out for a few months already.

People are still having trouble finding these? Wow, I haven't really been paying attention to their availability, but that's ridiculous considering its been out for a few months already.
Yep and Sony's said it probably won't be until Spring when we'll start to see a steady supply of consoles being shipped. Mainly because they're still rolling out the system launches for it, with Japan being their most recent country to launch it in.

I don't even remember the PS2 demand being this bad back in early 2001(where we were told then to wait until Spring too).

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my Playstation 4 from Amazon. There are a couple of website trackers that tell you when inventory is in stock. I forget the names but I was able to score one quickly by watching that website for a day. I didn't see any problems with shipping damage. Just buy from a site with a good return policy like Amazon.

Yep and Sony's said it probably won't be until Spring when we'll start to see a steady supply of consoles being shipped. Mainly because they're still rolling out the system launches for it, with Japan being their most recent country to launch it in.

I don't even remember the PS2 demand being this bad back in early 2001(where we were told then to wait until Spring too).
That's because the PS4 is outselling the PS2 by a wide margin:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/02/19/ps4-sales-outpace-all-previous-playstation-launches/

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771047

Under my television?

But seriously, I've seen them getting restocked in my area fairly regularly. They do seem to be shifting a bit faster than the XBox One's around here. But it's normally not difficult to acquire either.

The PS4 is selling pretty well, especially considering what the current game selection is like, and what time of the year it is.

Under my television?

But seriously, I've seen them getting restocked in my area fairly regularly. They do seem to be shifting a bit faster than the XBox One's around here. But it's normally not difficult to acquire either.

The PS4 is selling pretty well, especially considering what the current game selection is like, and what time of the year it is.
B&M store inventory is going to vary by market; all you need to look is at online inventory. No stores have them in stock for website ordering for more then a few minutes. You can find an X1 at any reputable website. There hasn't been a shortage since release.... but hopefully, for MS's sake, this means anyone who wants one when Titanfall comes out wont' have a problem finding one.

I checked all stores and the closest place that has a PS4 is 200 miles away. Like what the hell! haha. Every Best Buy, Gamestop, WalMart, Target, Best Buy, KMart, etc, is completely sold out and have been for a while. I guess wait for one on Amazon that's actually at $400 from a legit seller? Everyone I see is over $500. 

I checked all stores and the closest place that has a PS4 is 200 miles away. Like what the hell! haha. Every Best Buy, Gamestop, WalMart, Target, Best Buy, KMart, etc, is completely sold out and have been for a while. I guess wait for one on Amazon that's actually at $400 from a legit seller? Everyone I see is over $500.
Give it a couple of weeks they'll resurface. The Second Son bundle will be out shortly.

Sony has yet to confirm it but hopefully soon. If you don't mind buying one used/dinger AWD is always a good option. They pop up on a daily basis at this point.

Sony has yet to confirm it but hopefully soon. If you don't mind buying one used/dinger AWD is always a good option. They pop up on a daily basis at this point.
Nope. I want a new one and from a trusted site/store. :)

Nope. I want a new one and from a trusted site/store. :)
Well then grab your favorite PS3 titles and wait it out. While the PS4 is an exceptional piece of technology, it's game selection isn't at the must-have level just yet. And with all of the options available to the budget-minded gamer these days, it shouldn't be hard to find something else to play in the interim. I like to catch up on some of my backlog titles during these slow early months of the year.

Just keeping an eye on Amazon is probably easiest.

There have been a handful of times it's been posted on CAG that it was in stock and I clicked the link just to check and they still had them available (not everytime though).

I'll get one late this year/early next year after I clear out my PS3 backlog and can sell/trade that off as there's not enough PS4 games for me to bother yet and I don't have a free HDMI input on my receiver or room in my TV stand for another console.

I have seen them regularly (2 or 3 times over a month and still in stock) at warehouse clubs like Costco and BJ's. I guess they don't sell as fast there because of the membership requirement and at Costco it is only sold in a bundle with an extra controller I think either a game or PS+ Subscription.

Have you been checking store inventory online at Best Buy, GameStop, ect? I'd also talk to people at stores like Target and ask when they normally get their shipments, then call them on those days.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/playstation-4-system/109942

They do seem to sell out quickly, but they do seem to be getting regular shipments.
As for Target, they get shipments every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. That said, two or three weeks ago I asked our Electronics guy and PS4s were still coming via UPS as opposed to the usual truck so delivery is still random.

We've been sold out at our Target Store for close to a month now. The only way I was able to get mine was because I work there and knew when we were getting our next shipment. Luckily, even though I was asked to wait a whole day before picking one up, I was still able to grab it. 

I finally bought one at Gamestop. I got lucky but I didn't get a launch console with the codes. 

I was going to say try some less frequented places.  I saw one at a local Sears for awhile now, either they only put one in the display case or nobody is buying that lone PS4.

PS2's were sold out until around May 2001 when the GT 3 bundles started coming out. Yes Sony pulled an XB1 by throwing in its most anticipated title into a bundle about 6 months after launch.

It was July-August of 2006 before 360's were readily available. Wii's are the champs though as they weren't readily available until late 2008, 2 years after launch.

For those that care Avon, IN Meijer had 2 PS4s in the case last night. The bad thing is both boxes looked rather crushed.

Got mine on amazon a few weeks ago. I have yet tp see one on a shelf. Crazy because there is really no reason to have one. I meaning there isn't a system seller game. For me at least. I like resogun and Rayman legends is great but its on 3 systems.

Got mine on amazon a few weeks ago. I have yet tp see one on a shelf. Crazy because there is really no reason to have one. I meaning there isn't a system seller game. For me at least. I like resogun and Rayman legends is great but its on 3 systems.
Yeah I understand the point regarding no true system seller... but by the time Sony has one it's not like you'll see a price drop from $399.99 so if money isn't tight why not buy now (or at launch) and get used to the system interface and get some enjoyment out of it for a few months until the games start dropping.

That's my problem with the X1. I bought it at launch (Day One) but a bundle has already been announced for Titanfall (a game I'm not too interested in) and it is likely there will be a drop before any must have exclusive rolls out that appeals to me

I went into GameStop yesterday because they were the only ones who had a particular game I wanted. As a coincidence, where was one guy in there who just got finished buying a PS4. In line was a guy trading in a PS3 to get a PS4. The clerk was on the phone with a guy who wanted one of the two PS4s they had left. The guy on the phone asked the guy on the clerk to hold the PS4 twice, but the clerk would not budge.

I was just in there to get Phoenix Wright.

I don't see why people are rushing out to get these anyway considering that there isn't any must play game on the ps4 yet that can't be played on ps3. No point in getting one of these until there are 2-3 actual next gen games out for it. On the other hand, it's your money, who the hell am I to tell you how to spend it :p

I'm not surprised that the PS4 is totally dominating the market right now.  Anyways, I'm pretty sure Best Buy will get some in stock soon, but you can always buy a used one =P

I think people were starved for new consoles. I know I was.
I really don't how you could be starved for a new one but regardless even so the fucks the point in rushing out to get it when there's hardly jack to play on it? All power to you I guess but considering the circumstances don't really see the point.

A lot of gamers are about graphics, specs and having the latest gear.  Hardware generations had usually be 4-5 years, and last gen drug on 7+ years so I could see some of that crowd being starved and just ready for new gear.

I'm with you though.  I'm drowning in games on last gen hardware, and see nothing that's a day one must play in the near future on the next gen stuff.  I'll grab a PS4 eventually, but I doubt any sooner than this fall if I can clear most of the PS3 backlog out or decide to ditch the Wii U if there's not more announced at E3 that's must play on it for me.  I can't justify a third console (on top of 3DS and Vita) since I'm drowing in games, and don't have any shelf space or HDMI ports for a 3rd one anyway.  So something has to go first.

I really don't how you could be starved for a new one but regardless even so the fucks the point in rushing out to get it when there's hardly jack to play on it? All power to you I guess but considering the circumstances don't really see the point.
Well there are two big reasons to buy a next gen console.

1) Microsoft and Sony will not drop the price very soon in the US. (they may bundle games or bigger hard drive but they really do not like to lower prices much)
2) If you are buying the latest games they look better on next gen and are generally the same price.

Even if they don't drop price, there will be retailer deals. There's already been a free $50 gift card with Xbone purchase at Target a few weeks ago.

Bundles are definitely coming, Titanfall soon for Xbone, maybe Infamous for PS4 (it's getting one in Europe, but not announced here yet I don't think).

So right now isn't a great time to buy as there will be some bundles and deals soon, and probably more through the summer since there will be a game drought after those two big releases until the wave of big fall releases. That should slow sales and get some retailers to toss in gift cards, extra game etc.

Even if they don't drop price, there will be retailer deals. There's already been a free $50 gift card with Xbone purchase at Target a few weeks ago.

Bundles are definitely coming, Titanfall soon for Xbone, maybe Infamous for PS4 (it's getting one in Europe, but not announced here yet I don't think).

So right now isn't a great time to buy as there will be some bundles and deals soon, and probably more through the summer since there will be a game drought after those two big releases until the wave of big fall releases. That should slow sales and get some retailers to toss in gift cards, extra game etc.
well, this is a still slight chance of a $400 discless , and all digital xbone coming soon, seeing as the rumors of titan limited edition console proved to be true.

Yeah I understand the point regarding no true system seller... but by the time Sony has one it's not like you'll see a price drop from $399.99 so if money isn't tight why not buy now (or at launch) and get used to the system interface and get some enjoyment out of it for a few months until the games start dropping.

That's my problem with the X1. I bought it at launch (Day One) but a bundle has already been announced for Titanfall (a game I'm not too interested in) and it is likely there will be a drop before any must have exclusive rolls out that appeals to me
Waiting for said system seller will allow more time to pass, which will illuminate any potential hardware problems the system may have. If you don't have a pressing need to buy, there's really nothing but benefit to waiting out for a year or so before taking the plunge.

Plus, after a year, you'll be able to make at least an initial judgment as to the quality of games coming out for each console, which one has the optimal versions of multiplatform games, which one is selling better and is therefore more likely to receive support from developers and publishers, etc.

bread's done
Back