GTX 750 ti vs Radeon hd 77000

threlish

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help with getting a new video card for my pc. I currently have a Radeon hd 7700 and I'm interested in the GTX 750 ti. Is this a solid upgrade? Also, should I wait till they bundle it with games like Titanfall? Thanks guys!

Is that better better? I don't understand the number system of these cards
The GTX 660 is a solid upgrade from the AMD 7770. Look around for videos on youtube about the 660.

Heres a video on the GTX 660 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaXVrCFvL94

In the video the graph for the 660 out beat the 7770 by alot in Crysis 2 and the other games.

The numbering system for Nvidia is the first number is the generation of card,second number is the performance of the card within that generation. A 780 is going to be more powerful than a 770. But the 770 costing less than a 780.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 750 Ti is an improvement on what you have, but the Maxwell line will improve over the coming months so I wouldn't buy in just yet. If must buy one sooner rather than later my  vote would be save up about $40-50 more and pick up a R9 270 though

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue with the new chip nVidia is using is the coin miners.  I have read that people are already buying the cards so they can use them to mine as the AMD/Ati cards are getting hard to find.  If you want/need the card now I suggest getting it.  Some time by the end of March nVidia is rumored to announce the 790 and 800 lines.  Those are top of the line cards but could push the price of other cards down unless the miners drive it back up.   I would hold off and see what happens between now and April or May.  If the new 790 and 800 lines are announced like I said it could drop prices on other cards.  Right now it's a gamble with the way coin mining is going.

Interesting, I'm using a 670 which was pretty good when I bought it a few years ago of course, but in some instances I'm seeing its age.

Ahhh the numbering of these cards is so confusing. I think I'll hold out a bit. All the games I have now run pretty well. I'll wait for a Titanfall bundle. Thanks for the help guys!

I didn't get the numbering also till someone told me how it works.  The first number is the series and after that it's the level of the card you could say.  So the 750 is the new line of cards on the low end, and the 780 is at the high end.  I don't know what the ti stands for, but they are the next one up for that card.  So you could say the 750ti is a 755.  For AMD/Ati it's the same from what I have been told.  The HD7xxx is the older line that was replaced by the R7 and the R9 lines. The R7 seems to be the lower-medium end cards and the R9 is the higher end cards.  The 290x would be the highest level card you can get from them.

I have read that for AMD/Ati some of the newer cards on the lower end are really just the older HD7xxx cards rebranded.  Also after all the x and ti lines you have what the different manufacturers have made.  With EVGA for the 780ti line they have the Superclocked, Classified and the Kingpin.  All are basically a different fan and heat sink than the stock and factory overclocked.  The Kingpin does have some different chips.  I have read that the memory on it is from Samsung and not from the company that makes the memory for the other cards from EVGA.  Some of the specialty cards don't come out when the rest of the cards do and not all lines will get them.  

For the 750ti EVGA does have other lines like they do with the 780ti.  I'm sure other manufacturers have done the same.  

Seeing how your card runs games pretty well it sounds like you're in the same situation I'm in.  You want a new card however it isn't needed and it seems like it's for the same reason.  I ran the beta on a 5750 (2 generations older than your card if I'm right) and it worked fine.  I think holding out is a good idea and read some reviews when you do get one.  Compare the specks to what you have now as you may find that the really low end isn't much better than what you have.  If you go with nVidia I suggest buying an EVGA branded card.  All I have ever heard is good things about them and they have a step up program.  http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ if you buy the card and in 90 days from when you bought it a new one comes out that is better and you decide you want it you can pay the difference and get it.

I hope this has been some help for you to understand what the numbers are for the cards.

I didn't get the numbering also till someone told me how it works. The first number is the series and after that it's the level of the card you could say. So the 750 is the new line of cards on the low end, and the 780 is at the high end. I don't know what the ti stands for, but they are the next one up for that card. So you could say the 750ti is a 755. For AMD/Ati it's the same from what I have been told. The HD7xxx is the older line that was replaced by the R7 and the R9 lines. The R7 seems to be the lower-medium end cards and the R9 is the higher end cards. The 290x would be the highest level card you can get from them.

I have read that for AMD/Ati some of the newer cards on the lower end are really just the older HD7xxx cards rebranded. Also after all the x and ti lines you have what the different manufacturers have made. With EVGA for the 780ti line they have the Superclocked, Classified and the Kingpin. All are basically a different fan and heat sink than the stock and factory overclocked. The Kingpin does have some different chips. I have read that the memory on it is from Samsung and not from the company that makes the memory for the other cards from EVGA. Some of the specialty cards don't come out when the rest of the cards do and not all lines will get them.

For the 750ti EVGA does have other lines like they do with the 780ti. I'm sure other manufacturers have done the same.

Seeing how your card runs games pretty well it sounds like you're in the same situation I'm in. You want a new card however it isn't needed and it seems like it's for the same reason. I ran the beta on a 5750 (2 generations older than your card if I'm right) and it worked fine. I think holding out is a good idea and read some reviews when you do get one. Compare the specks to what you have now as you may find that the really low end isn't much better than what you have. If you go with nVidia I suggest buying an EVGA branded card. All I have ever heard is good things about them and they have a step up program. http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ if you buy the card and in 90 days from when you bought it a new one comes out that is better and you decide you want it you can pay the difference and get it.

I hope this has been some help for you to understand what the numbers are for the cards.
Wow thanks for all the info. You're a huge help! The mystery has been cleared!

Glad I could help.  I just found out how all of it works.  I thought I knew how it worked with nVidia however AMD/Ati was the one I had no clue about.  I thought the 7000 line and r9 lines both came out around the same time.  It wasn't till someone on reddit explained it to me a week or 2 ago.  

what size screen and resolution?  does power consumption and heat matter?  The 660 may be slightly better but the 750ti uses less power and throws out less heat.

All of those are questions to consider.

Would a Radeon HD 6850 to GTX 750 Ti be a solid upgrade?
Yes but maybe not significant enough to warrant the purchase. In fact things like FPS would only improve some but the 750ti would give off far less heat/noise, maybe be a little faster at certain tasks and use less power, etc. I'd only make this upgrade if your HD 6850 is dying or something, otherwise it's probably better to wait abit more to see what hits the market.

Great topic, this helped me in my decision to upgrade from a Geforce 9600 GT to the Geforce GTX 660, nice upgrade for me as I've been using the 9600 GT since 2008. 

I had the HD 6850 2gb ddr5 version for my gaming rig and I could only play on low settings without any frame rate drop on titanfall. I got the EVGA 750ti and play on high settings now. Couldn't be happier.

I own both an Nvidia 670 FTW from EVGA and a Powercolor 7970 GHz Edition.  The 7800 and 7900 series cards are superior to the R9 series 270, 270x and 280.  My 7970 smokes even a R9 290 but not a R9 290X.  The R9 280X is the exact same card as a regular 7970.  Just renamed.  Sad.

I briefly tested out the Nvidia GTX 770 SC 4GB card from eVGA but i was not impressed with it as a replacement of my Nvidia 670 FTW.  In fact my stock cooler was quieter than the Artic cooler that is custom on the eVGA 770 GTX.

At this point most of my games can play on high or ultra with the Nvidia GTX 670 FTW.

I love my 7970 though.  By itself without crossfire it can game on 3 monitors at 6048x1200 at ultra or very high settings in most games.  I use this card for Titanfall (not that graphically impressive but it can run the insane textures on 3 monitors without crossfire.  Really amazing.  My 670 can't even keep up with 1 monitor at 1080p (1920x1200).  Same.  I do remember the 7xxx series cards use a higher quality of GDDR5 memory than the Nvidia line.

Going forward I have no idea what new video card to choose.  A lot of new games coming out this year.  But I don't think any of them need or warrant a new high end card at all.

bread's done
Back