Photo
* * * * * 19 votes

Steam Deals Thread V11 ~ Let's move along, people...

Steam

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12827 replies to this topic

#2041 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

I've heard Max Payne 3 was a pretty good port (aside from being 30 flipping GBs).

Yes, Max Payne 3 PC was an excellent port, IMHO...

...despite wanting 30 GB of freaking space.

EDIT:

yea, too bad about the actual game tho

I think if gamers liked the gameplay of Max Payne 1 and 2 + are okay w/ the game talking place in both Brazil and NJ - yeah, they'll dig it.

I thought the game was awesome.

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#2042 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yes, Max Payne 3 PC was an excellent port, IMHO...

...despite wanting 30 GB of freaking space.

Well, I thought the 30 GB of textures succeeded in making it visually detailed.... unlike your 35 GB of uncompressed Titanfall audio. To have high visual fidelity you need high res textures.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#2043 djbooba

djbooba

Superficial Hitman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Ever played SMB on a Green (computer) monitor, or Street Fighter II on an Orange (computer) monitor?  Get disappointed that your FamiCom doesn't work on stupid american NTSC TVs?  I have.

The answer to all of those is yes.

#2044 pasports31

pasports31

New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Well, I thought the 30 GB of textures succeeded in making it visually detailed.... unlike your 35 GB of uncompressed Titanfall audio. To have high visual fidelity you need high res textures.

I don't see what they did wrong then. Usually if you want high visual fidelity, adding in a bunch of uncompressed audio is the way to go.

Right?

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#2045 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

is the bully port really that bad?

Depends on what system you run it on.

If you have it or want to get - it's like rolling dice. You don't know what you're gonna get.

You roll a dice - and you'll find out the hard-way if the game works well, poor, decent, or not at all on your system on or not.

It's the way w/ Rockstar's PC ports - especially GTA3 + Bully PC. ;)

Bully PC ran on my current PC no problem at a locked 30 FPS and it looked like a PS2-game....

...yet would NOT run on my previous PC which was way above the system requirements.

If you can get it going - I think it's a blast of a game. A lot of fun.

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#2046 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Oh, I agree w/ you - MP3 is drop-dead gorgeous on the PC, technically.

It's just....you have to make room for it + wait for it to install, more or less. ;)

About Titanfall PC - visually, the game looks fine. It certainly don't look technically like Max Payne 3.

Titanfall PC certainly looks better technically than that ESO Beta, though. ;)

The 35 GB of uncompressed audio is kinda crazy for Titanfall PC. If it's high-fidelity audio, then I'd bet people w/ ridiculously high-end surround sound set-ups will probably love that.

But, I don't care too much right now - since I had the HDD space open for it & since I won the game in a contest. ;)

#2047 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

This is the sort of thing that happens when you make friends with burgers:

k1Nm76X.png

To:

photo-thumb-387254.jpg?_r=1394079055

you're welcome :D

from,

photo-338480.jpg?_r=1385350187

spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#2048 BrownDerby

BrownDerby

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

Is anyone else seeing Motoki and vince_carter with Mooby's avatar? I thought it was all Mooby the whole time! Now I'm scared and confused (more than the usual amount).

uLNpWnq.png

#2049 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Is anyone else seeing Motoki and vince_carter with Mooby's avatar? I thought it was all Mooby the whole time! Now I'm scared and confused (more than the usual amount).

The answer is in the Amazon thread but TL;DR Tony is gone and Josh is MIA so people are bored.

steam_sig.png

#2050 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

This is the sort of thing that happens when you make friends with burgers:

k1Nm76X.png

Hmmm....I figured this guy would be giving away cheap + horrible games... ;)

photo-thumb-360334.jpg?_r=1388593119

EDIT:

The answer is in the Amazon thread but TL;DR Tony is gone and Josh is MIA so people are bored.

Did they both get into the ESO Beta or something...? ;)

#2051 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

I haven't owned a computer monitor in years. Panasonic plasma master race. I also don't have cable though because I only ever used it to watch sports, so I just buy league pass and use netflix. $200ish a month for 300 channels of shit? No thanks guys. 

Me three.  I started with a 42", then a 50" and now a 65" which I will continue to LOVE until the day I have to move it.  I also use a 32" LG LD450 on a cart so I can have a game room anywhere in the house.  I love playing games from my recliner.

I had Dish but they just raised their rates again so I am now OTA + Netflix.

#2052 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Shifties!

Luck of the Zaford Skins & Chulainn SMG

5JWT3-3H5FB-SCBX5-TJ3JB-H5R6X

5-keys

5TWTJ-CCW6X-CTXKB-J3JJB-RFJCR

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#2053 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

Big tvs are fine for single player games, but if you are playing any competitive multiplayer stuff you better get an actual pc monitor.

#2054 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Big tvs are fine for single player games, but if you are playing any competitive multiplayer stuff you better get an actual pc monitor.

I'd guess using big TV's for PC games while sitting on couch are probably fine for games that you'd play w/ a game-pad.

I don't know - but I think games I'd use KB/mouse with, I'd rather sit-up close right up to my 23'' 1080p monitor.

Of course, I play all my PC games on my monitor.

#2055 Eternal Session

Eternal Session

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

This is my first post here, and I was wondering, is this really legitimate? The prices for some of these games are really low. How can they charge so little for them?

#2056 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

I remember several years back when F.y.e stores were still around, t

What happened to your F.Y.E.'s?  I have two near me, stopped in one just a couple of weeks ago.

My 5" [REDACTED] was could run on batteries, I ran it from the wall wart.  My [REDACTED] quality was quite good.

Unnecessarily censored that for you.

Looks like Spoder spun me another web of lies.

I see what you did there.

This is my first post here, and I was wondering, is this really legitimate? The prices for some of these games are really low. How can they charge so little for them?

Welcome to the Steam master race.

The real kicker is that many of the games give you free cards that you can sell to other people for real Steam credit and get all your game purchases for free.

#2057 Eternal Session

Eternal Session

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

Welcome to the Steam master race.

The real kicker is that many of the games give you free cards that you can sell to other people for real Steam credit and get all your game purchases for free.

Are... are you serious? You're not messing with me, are you? How do you get these cards?

#2058 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

Are... are you serious? You're not messing with me, are you? How do you get these cards?

Game must support Steam cards, in 1st place.

Run games -- whether you play them actually; or decide to just run game idly in background just to generate + farm cards, up to you.

Then, go sell or trade cards on the Steam Card Market.

#2059 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:35 AM

It's also worth pointing out that the cards don't sell for enough cover the cost of the game (except in rare cases), so the "get all your game purchases for free" part is rubbish.

Selling Steam key: Race The Sun $1.10 (Cards) & Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine $1.10 (Cards) (Or both for $2.)
I'm also selling Indie Gala August bundles! Please PM me if you're interested. :)

#2060 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:35 AM

Some required reading for new entrants courtesy of BigSpoonyBard.

"This is the way the world ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."

#2061 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

Don't believe them. Steam is just a big DRM/millinery/collectible scam. Stay far away.

¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#2062 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

The truth is console manufacturers sell the consoles to you at a loss due to the fact that the tech being put into them is new and still bleeding edge. They offset this with the fees charged on top of the software (game disc), which is why console games are always higher priced, even when on sale, compared to PC games. In PC gaming, you pay a premium up front by the cost associated with you building or buying a PC rig capable of playing the games you want ($500 or more at a minimum, likely $1,000 if it's your first machine with the added cost of things usually recycled in a new build such as monitors, hard drives, power supplies, controllers, keyboards, mice, etc.) , meaning there is no premium (fee) built into the software cost like there is with the console manufacturers, who need to recoup from selling you a high end machine as cheap as they can up front.

This strategy is known as a "loss leader". With the advent of digital gaming, this divide has become even more stark and obvious. This is why if market share in consoles isn't immediately found, the console can't survive (R.I.P. Sega Saturn), as the software sales aren't creating the "stop gap" necessary to recoup the cost of underselling the hardware. PC games (at least where us CAG's are concerned) are measured in pennies, console games you pay with dollars, lot's of them.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#2063 Eternal Session

Eternal Session

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:43 AM

Game must support Steam cards, in 1st place.

Run games -- whether you play them actually; or decide to just run game idly in background just to generate + farm cards, up to you.

Then, go sell or trade cards on the Steam Card Market.

Thanks for that information. That's great advice.

It's also worth pointing out that the cards don't sell for enough cover the cost of the game (except in rare cases), so the "get all your game purchases for free" part is rubbish.

I see. But getting more discounts on already steep discounts are still amazing, I think.

Some required reading for new entrants courtesy of BigSpoonyBard.

Thanks a lot. I'll read that immediately.

Don't believe them. Steam is just a big DRM/millinery/collectible scam. Stay far away.

With prices like these, I think I can make a few compromises.

#2064 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

I haven't put a cent into the Steam store since before the card beta in May last year.  When I list the cards I've accumulated, I generally add $5-10 to my wallet in one weekend.  There's nothing rubbish about it.

Granted, I have well over 1000 games in my library, so the number of cards I've gained and sold and gained again through booster packs is considerable.

#2065 Eternal Session

Eternal Session

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

The truth is console manufacturers sell the consoles to you at a loss due to the fact that the tech being put into them is new and still bleeding edge. They offset this with the fees charged on top of the software (game disc), which is why console games are always higher priced, even when on sale, compared to PC games. In PC gaming, you pay a premium up front by the cost associated with you building or buying a PC rig capable of playing the games you want ($500 or more at a minimum, likely $1,000 if it's your first machine with the added cost of things usually recycled in a new build such as monitors, hard drives, power supplies, controllers, keyboards, mice, etc.) , meaning there is no premium (fee) built into the software cost for the console manufacturers need to recoup from selling you a high end machine as cheap as they can up front. This strategy is known as a "loss leader". With the advent of digital gaming, this divide has become even more stark and obvious.

Wow, I see. That's very interesting to know. So that's why these games are so inexpensive.

#2066 Eternal Session

Eternal Session

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

I haven't put a cent into the Steam store since before the card beta in May last year.  When I list the cards I've accumulated, I generally add $5-10 to my wallet in one weekend.  There's nothing rubbish about it.

Granted, I have well over 1000 games in my library, so the number of cards I've gained and sold and gained again through booster packs is considerable.

1,000 games? Never mind the price, how in the world will you find the time to play all of them?

#2067 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

1,000 games? Never mind the price, how in the world will you find the time to play all of them?

We don't play games.  We buy them.

"This is the way the world ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."

#2068 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:48 AM

There's a saying in this thread.  CAG's don't play their Steam games.  We backlog them.

That being said, we had a push last month to try and complete four games each in the four-week month.

Most of us have robust libraries, teeming with games we've never played, thanks to various indie bundles that give Steam keys.  Check out the links in post #2 of this thread.

#2069 Eternal Session

Eternal Session

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

We don't play games.  We buy them.

That doesn't sound right. Why buy them if not to play them?

#2070 Waggles

Waggles

What the funk n waggle are you talkin' bout?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

Finding ways to get cheap games is the game. We don't actually play most of what we own :P

…Also, a lot of bundle games suck

That doesn't sound right. Why buy them if not to play them?

Everyone started with this train of thought. It will change, trust me.