Photo
* * * * * 19 votes

Steam Deals Thread V11 ~ Let's move along, people...

Steam

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12828 replies to this topic

#2071 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

Wow, I see. That's very interesting to know. So that's why these games are so inexpensive.

I updated my post with a bit more info, and made it easier to read. I 2nd reading Big Spoony Bard's FAQ.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#2072 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:50 AM

Thanks for that information. That's great advice.

I see. But getting more discounts on already steep discounts are still amazing, I think.

Thanks a lot. I'll read that immediately.

With prices like these, I think I can make a few compromises.

If you're worried about Steam's DRM, check This GOG Thread in particular.

They have on-going discussions and a list of what games that don't come w/ CEG and also don't come w/ any other third-party DRM.

Side note: CEG is Steam's DRM that forces you boot-up Steam, whenever you launch a game's shortcut.

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#2073 MnemnocH

MnemnocH

Cupcakes!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

1,000 games? Never mind the price, how in the world will you find the time to play all of them?

OMG! Dont ask question like that!!

Origin ID: Mnemnoch_Caine              Uplay: mnemnoch1

uc.png   76561198062648772.png

#2074 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

They have on-going discussions and a list of what games that don't come w/ CEG and also don't come w/ any other third-party DRM.

Side note: CEG is Steam's DRM that forces you boot-up Steam, whenever you launch a game's shortcut.

And get this immediately: Enhanced Steam

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

#2075 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

OMG! Dont ask question like that!!

Seriously, if anyone else came in asking that question (without starting off with "Hi I'm new"), we would have all assumed it to have been asked jokingly.

And get this immediately: Enhanced Steam

VERY YES.  It's a browser extension made by one of our own.

#2076 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

That doesn't sound right. Why buy them if not to play them?

Welcome to CAG! :P

We don't just buy games on Steam. We buy games on GreenManGaming, Amazon DVG, IndieGala, HumbleBundle, Groupees, BundleStars, GoG (for all Anti-DRM gamers)...and once in a full moon when Gamersgate has a worthwhile; and other places. We go where the prices go - Steam doesn't always have the best prices, mind you.

Generic example:

You want say want ONE game in a bundle or a maybe TWO. But, it's cheaper to buy the entire bundle to get what you really want, as opposed to say just buying the two games you want SEPARATELY.

Detailed Example:

When I bought EA Origin Bundle, I had almost every game in there ALREADY except for C&C: Red Alert 3 Uprising and Dead Space 3. I practially spent that $1 just to get those games - even though I already owned every other EA game in the bundle.

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#2077 pasports31

pasports31

New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

This is my first post here, and I was wondering, is this really legitimate? The prices for some of these games are really low. How can they charge so little for them?

take a deep breath and relax...im assuming you're new to pc gaming. prepare to be like "oh cool, sweet prices! nice to get this game i really want a lot cheaper than on console." to "hmm, that game looks interesting, and it's cheap, guess i'll get it" to "meh, never heard of that game/not overly interested, but it's in a bundle/it's only 2.50...why not" to "WTF I JUST GOT A PC LIKE 5 MONTHS AGO HOW DO I HAVE 350 GAMES"

Also, I noticed you made comments like "how would you play 1,000 games" and "why buy if you're not going to play"

just wait. you'll eat your words in less than 2 months.

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#2078 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:59 AM

I don't want to come off as a PC elitist. I still buy consoles (although I wait until late in their life cycle to pick them up, meaning I get the better versions with cooler running processors and bigger hard drives, and of course they are way cheaper than launch prices), because of the exclusives on those systems that I enjoy. Great examples being my beloved Final Fantasy X HD Remaster that will be here in a few days for the PS3, then there's the Metal Gear series. Things like that make consoles still worth it in the end. But the line is becoming more and more blurred, and even when you buy an "exclusive" game on consoles, it can still be re released on PC for far cheaper than you bought it originally, Enslaved being a good example.

#2079 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

I'd guess using big TV's for PC games while sitting on couch are probably fine for games that you'd play w/ a game-pad.

I don't know - but I think games I'd use KB/mouse with, I'd rather sit-up close right up to my 23'' 1080p monitor.

Of course, I play all my PC games on my monitor.

I'm talking more in terms of response time, though screen size is important in multiplayer gaming. No matter what a tv manufacturer claims the response time is in a set, don't believe them. There is so much processing going on in tvs that by the time the tv receives the info, processes it, then shows it to you, you are already dead.

#2080 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:02 AM

Oh MysterD. You're the only person here who cares about Steam as DRM. You should go hang out with Europeans at GOG to commiserate.

Seriously though, don't scare the console people off. It's not that bad. Most of us here don't care if Steam has to boot up if we run a game. In fact, we want that.

Personally, as long as activation limits aren't involved I'm not really fussed over DRM.

steam_sig.png

#2081 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:04 AM

Personally, as long as activation limits aren't involved I'm not really fussed over DRM.

You said it, Moobtoki.

#2082 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

Oh MysterD. You're the only person here who cares about Steam as DRM. You should go hang out with Europeans at GOG to commiserate.

Seriously though, don't scare the console people off. It's not that bad. Most of us here don't care if Steam has to boot up if we run a game. In fact, we want that.

Likely - if you're using Steam, you probably should have a decent Net connection. Most PC games these days are likely bought digitally from Steam or some other digital store - especially here in the USA.

As long as gamers have a decent Internet connection; can connect now and then to Steam for any updates; and they check to make sure Steam offline mode works (if they really want or need to do this step) - yeah, they should be fine.

EDIT:

Personally, as long as activation limits & G4WL aren't involved I'm not really fussed over DRM.

FTFY. ;)

#2083 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

Don't take it too literally when you hear people around here say "we don't play games, we collect them."

That's true to some extent, because many regulars spend a lot of time monitoring deals and buying games, but they also play a few too... whether or not they will admit to it. It's really just a way of making fun of yourself for spending so much time on the meta-game of getting deals. 

76561197971332172.png

#2084 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

Don't take it too literally when you hear people around here say "we don't play games, we collect them."

That's true to some extent, because many regulars spend a lot of time monitoring deals and buying games, but they also play a few too... whether or not they will admit to it. It's really just a way of making fun of yourself for spending so much time on the meta-game of getting deals. 

Don't forget the Meta-Meta-game of increasing our Steam-game count + our account's Steam Level, as well. ;)

#2085 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

I haven't put a cent into the Steam store since before the card beta in May last year.  When I list the cards I've accumulated, I generally add $5-10 to my wallet in one weekend.  There's nothing rubbish about it.

Granted, I have well over 1000 games in my library, so the number of cards I've gained and sold and gained again through booster packs is considerable.

How many of those new games paid for themselves with their card drops, though? When I see "get all your game purchases for free", I think of all purchases - including the initial ones, which (as I pointed out) is a very rare case.

VERY YES.  It's a browser extension made by one of our own.

"One of our own" who I haven't seen here in months.

I'm hosting an Indie Gala July Madness group buy - PM me if you'd like to reserve a slot. :)
> Also selling a Steam copy of Assassin's Creed 2 Deluxe ($4.50).

#2086 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

This all comes with the bonus experience of "Nooooo Game ABC is on a great discount now, less than when I bought it two months ago and I haven't played it yet!"

How many of those new games paid for themselves with their card drops, though? When I see "get all your game purchases for free", I think of all purchases - including the initial ones, which (as I pointed out) is a very rare case.

I never said the cards paid for the games they came from.  I've yet to manage to sell cards for a game before I bought it.  That being said, I've had plenty of bundles pay for themselves thanks to card sales, particularly older Groupees offerings.  But no, you'll never make back the purchase price buying a game directly through Steam, and I would never claim that.

"One of our own" who I haven't seen here in months.

Now you're arguing just for the sake of arguing.  His last post to the Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread was two days ago.  He's far from being an inactive CAG.  =P

#2087 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:23 AM

Actually, yes.  The d-pad and buttons on the G27's shifter work for the menus.  I assumed that you had issues beyond the menus though... but rereading, I can't actually find evidence for that.  But it has to be so, otherwise i'd be crazy in my well-ordered view of the world.  I mean what sort of person would rage quit a racing game because of the menus?  (don't answer that, please)

One thing I find invaluable is a secondary wireless mouse... I find all sorts of uses for it, like watching video from my sofa, or just leaning back in my chair, or when Monster (feline) lays on top of my normal mouse.  The secondary wireless keyboard gets far less use.  I have a couple $10 Logitech M325 that work great, fantastic battery life & standby on one AA battery.

Rage quit from the menus?  No, not here...  I likely spent 30 minutes or so going around some track...  Not one I really recognized but again that doesn't mean much as I don't follow open wheel in the states let alone worldwide.

The menus just left a bad first (and last) impression...  It might be silly to think so but if you cannot make decent menus* why would I think you could make something far more complex correctly?  (like race physics and whatnot.)  The physics are far better than the menus btw. :)

* Or a way to interface with them, I mean, yeah, I had a controller plugged into the PC but I also had a mouse...  So why would you disable the mouse?

Cats; Mayhem (youngest feline) doesn't seem to interested in the mouse... but she's spent quite a bit of time watching my type on the keyboard...  In fact the other day she managed to activate one of my Demon Hunter's powers in Diablo III.  (She also has the uncanny ability to know when a boss battle is about to take place...  Cause that's when she REALLY wants attention. :P )

#2088 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

This all comes with the bonus experience of "Nooooo Game ABC is on a great discount now, less than when I bought it two months ago and I haven't played it yet!"

Right. :D

More advice for the no0bs.

IMHO, this is why it's always best if you want a game and don't plan to play it ASAP (i.e. you are putting it in your backlog), please wait for the usually safe 75% off (its current lowest digital MSRP price) or better deals.

If you plan to play ASAP - you can do that thing of PWYW (Pay What You Want).

Try to keep those to a minimum - base-games can get cheap quick; many games have tons of DLC); inevitable re-releases w/ Base-Game + ALL DLC's + ALL Expansions, maybe Season Passes can get cheap later.

Often, if I'm desperate for a pre-order or just-released game - 50% off or better can cause me to jump.

EDIT:

Also worth noting - Square Enix is known to slice prices REAL fast.

#2089 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:31 AM

A lot of people will claim that being a CAG means getting the best price, but really, being a true CAG means maximizing value.  If you value having a game on release day and get it for 20% off, you're not failing by jumping in right away.  If you value Kickstarting a game that maybe wouldn't exist (at all or to the same degree, added feature milestones and all that) without your support, then you're still doing it right.  If you value paying a little extra to get a game in a bundle where 100% goes to charity rather than having Evil Publisher X pocket something, or if you opt to avoid playing the regional pricing game such that you are supporting the publisher and devs more, then you're getting more value out of your purchase.  It's all good.

We also have a common claim here that buying a game on sale will guarantee it for bundling soon after, so doing so is a sacrifice for the greater good.  "I bought Indie Game Retro 5 on sale, and with my luck it'll be the next Humble Weekly.  You're welcome."

#2090 Waggles

Waggles

What the funk n waggle are you talkin' bout?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

A lot of people will claim that being a CAG means getting the best price, but really, being a true CAG means maximizing value.  If you value having a game on release day and get it for 20% off, you're not failing by jumping in right away.  If you value Kickstarting a game that maybe wouldn't exist (at all or to the same degree, added feature milestones and all that) without your support, then you're still doing it right.  If you value paying a little extra to get a game in a bundle where 100% goes to charity rather than having Evil Publisher X pocket something, or if you opt to avoid playing the regional pricing game such that you are supporting the publisher and devs more, then you're getting more value out of your purchase.  It's all good.

We also have a common claim here that buying a game on sale will guarantee it for bundling soon after, so doing so is a sacrifice for the greater good.  "I bought Indie Game Retro 5 on sale.  You're welcome."

Nah ah, it's about spodering keys and yelling at stingy indie devs to give up the goods when they owe us.

#2091 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

There is that, too.

#2092 pasports31

pasports31

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

We also have a common claim here that buying a game on sale will guarantee it for bundling soon after, so doing so is a sacrifice for the greater good.  "I bought Indie Game Retro 5 on sale, and with my luck it'll be the next Humble Weekly.  You're welcome."

fo sho.

not to mention we get so many games cheap around here that i dont have aproblem paying a premium for a game i really want to play.

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#2093 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

I also think the PWYW thing on a new release can be alright, as long as you think you'll get mileage out of a game. I tend to lean this way towards RPG's - those are the games normally that I get plenty out time out of & really enjoy playing.

When I spend good $ on a game, I want a time-sink; value per playthrough; and/or heavy replay value.

i.e. Shadow of Destiny has around 7 different endings. It's about 5-10 hours per playthrough. I got every ending. Do the math.

i.e. ONE playthrough of Skyrim (without DLC) - which is still unfinished on the main quest, BTW - has netted over 110 hours.

We also have a common claim here that buying a game on sale will guarantee it for bundling soon after, so doing so is a sacrifice for the greater good.  "I bought Indie Game Retro 5 on sale.  You're welcome."

Also wort noting for the no0bs:

Sometimes, when we see insane deals  i.e. 95% off, we think it might be bundled soon. ;)

#2094 Waggles

Waggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

Sometimes, when we see insane deals  i.e. 95% off, we think it might be bundled soon. ;)

And it usually does, so only buy if you're gonna play it.

#2095 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

i definitely spend more time putzing around here and gaf than i do playing games 

Hand__Of__God.png

#2096 pasports31

pasports31

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

Also wort noting for the no0bs:

Also worth noting: If any game i want hits 95% off, who gives a  Fuck if it might get bundled, i'm buying that.

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#2097 Waggles

Waggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

Also worth noting: If any game i want hits 95% off, who gives a  Fuck if it might get bundled, i'm buying that.

#FakeCag

Edit: Oh, and yellow comic sans is an easy way to show sarcasm. Removes the risk of misunderstandings.

#2098 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

unless it's the war z  infestation: survivor stories, because you know better than to reward that buffoonery 

Hand__Of__God.png

#2099 pasports31

pasports31

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

unless it's the war z  infestation: survivor stories, because you know better than to reward that buffoonery 

notice i said game i want

i dont want no damn buffoonery

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#2100 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

If you buy it at 95% off and say an upcoming bundle has it in there that gives out separate keys...

...then there's an extra key to trade, sell, or giveaway. :D

That's as long as Bundle doesn't have ONE key (tier) representing itself for multiple game-keys.