Reason for User Ban

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#31 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:29 AM

I agree. I have found one way around it and that's if the banned member has a blog. That's to say that the blog was not also removed. Looks like icedragon15 had a blog and here are the most recent posts.

I think Jeremy Barnes is responsible for this.

After reading that, I'm going to have to say the ban was well deserved.

There's only so much of a kid yelling nonsense in a room that you can take before you ask him to leave.

Compared to that guy, slidecage is practically a poet laureate.

Look, if he has mental issues, then I feel bad for him.  (Being serious here) But that posting "style" is just really bad.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#32 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

After reading that, I'm going to have to say the ban was well deserved.

There's only so much of a kid yelling nonsense in a room that you can take before you ask him to leave.

Compared to that guy, slidecage is practically a poet laureate.

Look, if he has mental issues, then I feel bad for him.  (Being serious here) But that posting "style" is just really bad.

Bad grammar is not against forum rules.

I'm not disagreeing that it could be irritating as hell, but that's what the ignore feature is for. There was likely no legitimate basis behind the ban, and seeing as there has not been one moderator or Cheapy reply since they've been called out on this, that only proves it further.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#33 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:53 AM

that's not bad grammar.  bad grammar is when you use your instead of you're.

posting just streams of nonsense in response to everything is really irritating.  Sure you can just ignore but sometimes the onus shouldn't be on the community to ignore.  It should be on the person not to be a complete nuisance.

I make special dispensation for people with actual mental problems.   But if you're just an annoying person who rambles for no reason, that gets old real fast.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#34 eulogywerd21

eulogywerd21

APPLAUSE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

posting just streams of nonsense in response to everything is really irritating.  Sure you can just ignore but sometimes the onus shouldn't be on the community to ignore.  It should be on the person not to be a complete nuisance.

I make special dispensation for people with actual mental problems.   But if you're just an annoying person who rambles for no reason, that gets old real fast.

I won't deny that Tebow was/is an easy target. I'm even guilty of picking and poking at him to get a "like" at his expense. His obsession with "spanking"  and the rambling was enough to drive even the most seasoned user a little nuts, but a warning shouldn't be too much to ask for, especially if there isn't a specific infraction. As far as I could tell, he just wanted to be liked, even though his personality wore thin.

A ban warning is the decent thing to do unless a specific rule has been broken.

jkimrey: Do it man! It's a steam key - one place for all your games. Plus, you gotta catch 'em all.

#35 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:02 AM

It's subjective though. Many people didn't care and weren't annoyed, some people thought it was funny, and some people even made friends with him.

Like I said, I agree it's annoying, but it is NOT against forum rules, and banning for unwritten rules has NO place on CAG.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#36 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:25 AM

I won't deny that Tebow was/is an easy target. I'm even guilty of picking and poking at him to get an easy "like" at his expense. His obsession with "spanking"  and the rambling was enough to drive even the most seasoned user a little nuts, but a warning shouldn't be too much to ask for, especially if there isn't a specific infraction being violated. As far as I could tell, he just wanted to be liked, even though his personality wore thin.

A ban warning is the decent thing to do unless a specific rule has been broken.

I can't disagree with that.  I think a warning or two is the right way to handle it.  But then again, I don't know what happened behind the scenes right?   Who knows if he did get a couple warnings.   There's three sides to every story, right?

Ees7Y.jpg

#37 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

I can't disagree with that.  I think a warning or two is the right way to handle it.  But then again, I don't know what happened behind the scenes right?   Who knows if he did get a couple warnings.   There's three sides to every story, right?

Possibly, I don't know for certain. From the sound of it, though, Tebow was just as confused about the ban as everyone else. I've gotten banned in the past (which was wrongful, seeing as I'm posting right now) and there was zero warning, though, so that seems to be a trend here. I've never heard of someone getting a warning at all.

That's probably the most troubling thing. It's one thing to get banned and not know the reason why. It's another to never even receive a warning for the perceived "wrong" behavior.

bZ2g3eF.png

#38 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:40 AM

Tebow seems confused about everything so it's possible he got a warning and didn't understand.

I've been warned before about what specifically was getting me in hot water. which I appreciated.

I've also been temp banned by some over zealous mod who just did it because he didn't understand what I was saying. It was pure BS and really frustrating that I couldnt respond and say "that's not what I said at all...etc" I know when I step over a line and in that case, I did not step over the line. But that's another story. Thankfully it was only temporary.

I think an ability to question a permaban and present your side of things would be useful but from what I understand, permanent bans are discussed and not just knee jerk reactions. They are serious business.

Ees7Y.jpg

#39 eulogywerd21

eulogywerd21

APPLAUSE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:53 AM

IMO, if a user is permi-banned, the Mod who swung the hammer and the reason should be listed on the banned user's account, which should still give access to said user's posts. This will inform all other users, as well as the banned, what behavior isn't allowed/won't be tolerated as well as expose any Mods that are abusing their power. Sure, Mods aren't getting paid, but no one is forcing them to mod, either.

jkimrey: Do it man! It's a steam key - one place for all your games. Plus, you gotta catch 'em all.

#40 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

Tebow seems confused about everything so it's possible he got a warning and didn't understand.

I've been warned before about what specifically was getting me in hot water. which I appreciated.

I've also been temp banned by some over zealous mod who just did it because he didn't understand what I was saying. It was pure BS and really frustrating that I couldnt respond and say "that's not what I said at all...etc" I know when I step over a line and in that case, I did not step over the line. But that's another story. Thankfully it was only temporary.

I think an ability to question a permaban and present your side of things would be useful but from what I understand, permanent bans are discussed and not just knee jerk reactions. They are serious business.

Possible too, I'd have to ask him (he is on my friends list... *shudder*).

I've been banned once and silenced three times. The first silence was for posting a rather tasteless erotic picture of animated equines. It was a joke, and it was completely censored, but a female mod came across it and didn't find it as funny as others might have. She "warned me" publicly in the thread that if I continued posting anything like that I'd be silenced or banned, yet silenced me at the same time. I thought the warning was odd considering I was silenced anyways, but it was dumb on my part and the silence was fair enough.

The second time I was silenced came about when a certain mod (not going to name any names, it's not a pleasant subject) made a habit of "nuking" a thread when he deemed things were too off-topic. His actions repeatedly frustrated everyone in the thread, because instead of removing the off-topic posts, he would lazily delete multiple pages, including helpful posts, reviews, ongoing on-topic conversations, etc. Myself and another user were bold enough to call him out for it and were vocal in our frustration. He didn't like that, deleted all of our posts as we posted them, left posts of his, literally doctored the discussion, and then silenced both of us (no warning). It was an utter abuse of power simply because he didn't like what certain people had to say. At that time I made a temporary account, just for the purpose of PMing another mod that was involved and asking what happened (I made this clear that I only made the account to message him, not to circumvent the silencing). I was immediately IP banned without warning, and it wasn't until over a week later that Cheapy finally got back to me and unbanned my account.

The other silencing was probably the most confusing, and was a wide silencing of a few regulars. It was the same disgruntled mod as in the situation above. There was no reason behind it, no warning, no explanation, and I believe I contacted Cheapy and he lifted the ban.

So basically, it probably depends on which moderator you get. The first time I was silenced I did at least get a reason behind the silence, as well as a time frame of how long it would last (one week). None of the other occasions came with any of that.

The entire system is unchecked, haphazard, and doesn't even follow its own rules. Granted you CAN appeal a ban by contacting Cheapy, but considering that Cheapy's view towards Tebow was summed up by saying "Look at the guy's posts." I doubt Tebow's coming back.

bZ2g3eF.png

#41 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:23 AM

HAHAHA...wow, his posts are terrible...almost to the point of having an actual clinical issue. If he DOES have an issue, I think a ban might be a bit heavy-handed. It's not like we ban every troll on the site with possible clinical issues to begin with.

But yeah, if someone is perma-banned, there should be a note on their profile AND sig as well as link to the offending posts or a reason.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#42 cyrus386

cyrus386

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

Possibly, I don't know for certain. From the sound of it, though, Tebow was just as confused about the ban as everyone else. I've gotten banned in the past (which was wrongful, seeing as I'm posting right now) and there was zero warning, though, so that seems to be a trend here. I've never heard of someone getting a warning at all.

That's probably the most troubling thing. It's one thing to get banned and not know the reason why. It's another to never even receive a warning for the perceived "wrong" behavior.

I have talked to Tebow.  He messaged me on Steam the night he was banned.  From what I understand, he was not warned or given a reason, and the ban is permanent.

IMO, if a user is permi-banned, the Mod who swung the hammer and the reason should be listed on the banned user's account, which should still give access to said user's posts. This will inform all other users, as well as the banned, what behavior isn't allowed/won't be tolerated as well as expose any Mods that are abusing their power. Sure, Mods aren't getting paid, but no one is forcing them to mod, either.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  A little more transparency would only be good for this site.

#43 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

Also, once you are silenced or banned, the system is broken. Not only do you receive no warning or information towards why you were punished, you can't communicate with the moderators whatsoever. Back when I was banned once (completely unjustly) I made a new account (with an obviously temporary name) and ONLY PMed Shrike for information about my ban. I even made it clear to him "I only made this account to message you and ask what happened, not to circumvent my ban." What happened? No reply, I received an IP ban immediately. The only option you have is to email Cheapy, which is a bit silly. That's the moderators' job, not his.

The second time I was silenced came about when a certain mod (not going to name any names, it's not a pleasant subject) made a habit of "nuking" a thread when he deemed things were too off-topic. His actions repeatedly frustrated everyone in the thread, because instead of removing the off-topic posts, he would lazily delete multiple pages, including helpful posts, reviews, ongoing on-topic conversations, etc. Myself and another user were bold enough to call him out for it and were vocal in our frustration. He didn't like that, deleted all of our posts as we posted them, left posts of his, literally doctored the discussion, and then silenced both of us (no warning). It was an utter abuse of power simply because he didn't like what certain people had to say. At that time I made a temporary account, just for the purpose of PMing another mod that was involved and asking what happened (I made this clear that I only made the account to message him, not to circumvent the silencing). I was immediately IP banned without warning, and it wasn't until over a week later that Cheapy finally got back to me and unbanned my account.

Looks like you did name names anyway.  Whoops. ;)

#44 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

I am curious about this, since in any thread I saw him post in, no one really expressed anger that he posted like, no one asked for him to delete his posts or for a mod to do something about it. I always thought it was a given that him posting like that as a member of the forums would continue.
It just seems any time he posted, and people said "huh?", everyone else just said "yeah, that's tebow, deal with it". Never really saw anyone actually mad, and if they were, they didn't say anything.
I haven't seen all his posts because the account link is hidden, am I missing something?

TL;DR If a bunch of people had a problem or were complaining about him, I never saw it.

I find it ironic that people are offended by someone who might be a little unhinged, when 75  85 100% of the members here have disposophobia.

Bad grammar is not against forum rules.

I'm not disagreeing that it could be irritating as hell, but that's what the ignore feature is for. There was likely no legitimate basis behind the ban, and seeing as there has not been one moderator or Cheapy reply since they've been called out on this, that only proves it further.

Deja-Vu.jpg

Possible too, I'd have to ask him (he is on my friends list... *shudder*).

I've been banned once and silenced three times. The first silence was for posting a rather tasteless erotic picture of animated equines. It was a joke, and it was completely censored, but a female mod came across it and didn't find it as funny as others might have. She "warned me" publicly in the thread that if I continued posting anything like that I'd be silenced or banned, yet silenced me at the same time. I thought the warning was odd considering I was silenced anyways, but it was dumb on my part and the silence was fair enough.

The other silencing was probably the most confusing, and was a wide silencing of a few regulars. It was the same disgruntled mod as in the situation above. There was no reason behind it, no warning, no explanation, and I believe I contacted Cheapy and he lifted the ban.

So basically, it probably depends on which moderator you get. The first time I was silenced I did at least get a reason behind the silence, as well as a time frame of how long it would last (one week). None of the other occasions came with any of that.

The entire system is unchecked, haphazard, and doesn't even follow its own rules. Granted you CAN appeal a ban by contacting Cheapy, but considering that Cheapy's view towards Tebow was summed up by saying "Look at the guy's posts." I doubt Tebow's coming back.

that pretty much sums up 2013.  I was never warned either when I was silenced.   I should go back and find the codes I dropped in that thread and repost them since they were part of the great thread dismemberment of '13.

spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#45 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

There was likely no legitimate basis behind the ban, and seeing as there has not been one moderator or Cheapy reply since they've been called out on this, that only proves it further.

Yup, it sure does.

You study at Harvard? Reasoning skills are top.

leda-doing-le-worm-xd-o.gifaw-ledas-cute-o.gif

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#46 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

Looks like you did name names anyway.  Whoops. ;)

Shrike had nothing to do with my bans/silences, so no.

bZ2g3eF.png

#47 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:03 AM

Shrike had nothing to do with my bans/silences, so no.

Well, there's the surprise of the moment, if it wasn't me.

#48 Chizu

Chizu

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

I believe that banning people for "no reason" is pathetic and it shows a lack of maturity, at least explain why you're banning that person when you're banning them. I know someone that got banned from here three years ago for "no reason" and he was never told why he got banned

#49 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:35 AM

Well, there's the surprise of the moment, if it wasn't me.

Unless it was you. I was under the strong impression that it wasn't. That's the only reason I mentioned the name, because I thought it was of no consequence.

Didn't even recognize your account. Stepped down and removed your avatar? Honestly can't remember if you were shrike4242 or just shrike.

bZ2g3eF.png

#50 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

If he got banned, why would he even want to come back?  Just find another place to go.

mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#51 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

Because theres no where else to go damnit!

#52 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

I find it amusing that we're really all just talking to ourselves here. The mods aren't touching this with a 20-foot pole.

bZ2g3eF.png

#53 cyrus386

cyrus386

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

If he got banned, why would he even want to come back? Just find another place to go.

That makes absolutely no sense. Maybe he enjoyed the community here, which has very little to do with the moderators who banned him. I certainly don't know of any other forums like CAG.

#54 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

If he got banned, it more then likely meant more then a few people didn't like him, not just the mod.

mytradelist:

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#55 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

If he got banned, it more then likely meant more then a few people didn't like him, not just the mod.

Man, I'd love/hate to know how many people don't like me. :D
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#56 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

Tons of people hate me. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy this community for those who don't. Your logic is lopsided.

bZ2g3eF.png

#57 phantomphoenix

phantomphoenix

Make It Loud!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

Every time a post goes without being liked, does that mean everybody dislikes it?

#58 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:52 AM

Tons of people hate me. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy this community for those who don't. Your logic is lopsided.

Obviously they don't hate you enough to get you banned. :)  In all seriousness though, you're not going to get an answer, the answer is if you don't like it, you can leave, simple as that.  It seems like we go through this same line of questioning every few months.

mytradelist:

#59 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

Obviously they don't hate you enough to get you banned. :)  In all seriousness though, you're not going to get an answer, the answer is if you don't like it, you can leave, simple as that.

If I applied your logic to life, that means I might as well be dead if some people hate me. Sort of a negative view to things. If you enjoy your time in a community with the people who do like you, why would some people hating you ruin all your fun?

Unfortunately the second part is probably true. First time I've been on a forum where a civil question to moderators has been met with utter silence. Kind of ridiculous, really.

bZ2g3eF.png

#60 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

If I applied your logic to life, that means I might as well be dead if some people hate me. Sort of a negative view to things. If you enjoy your time in a community with the people who do like you, why would some people hating you ruin all your fun?

Unfortunately the second part is probably true. First time I've been on a forum where a civil question to moderators has been met with utter silence. Kind of ridiculous, really.

There's a difference between people just not liking you and constantly posting nonsense in the Deals forum where people have to wade through that crap to find actual coherent discussion of a deal.