CAGcast #357: Helpful Godzilla

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks South Park, Donkey Kong Country, and so much more!
Download (72 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-357-helpful-godzilla

GoDaddy.com Coupon CodesShow Linkage/Notes:
Intro:  Vartoonz - DJ Sherz  Outro: GI Joe Commercial

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is crazy that the PS4 is selling so well considering its lack of "system sellers". People must be really tired of their last gen systems and have confidence that Sony will eventually deliver some stellar games.

LOL at Cheapy yelling "Nooooooo!" when informed he has to update his xbox one controller using a cable!

He has a point. Why can't a "wireless" controller be updated wirelessly?

[quote name="B0W and Arrow" post="11583120" timestamp="1394004417"]It is crazy that the PS4 is selling so well considering its lack of "system sellers". People must be really tired of their last gen systems and have confidence that Sony will eventually deliver some stellar games.[/quote]

I think it's due to the PS3's recent strong performance and the fact that neither new console has system sellers. PS4 is arguably more of a value than the One.

[quote name="ZombieJeebus" post="11582990" timestamp="1393999689"]Early CAGcast? YES[/quote]

Hell yeah. New listener here that has not yet figured out the new episode schedule.

Wait a minute guys! Do you mean to tell me that when you are tailing people in real life that they don't stop every few seconds to look behind them to see if anyone is tailing them??? Seems like Assassin's Creed got it just right.

How do I voice my interest in a copy of Infamous? Draw my name and I'll order it - won't follow suit of sweepstakes winners as mentioned. :)

The New Yoshi's Island is actually the 3rd game with the Yoshi's Island name, 2nd was on DS. Just proves how good it was when no one remembers it.

I agree that the follow missions without getting caught are the worst.

Diddy Kong from Wikipedia "He is described as the "wannabe nephew" of Donkey Kong in the Donkey Kong 64 manual"

What do you guys think the Halo news is going to be at E3? Do you think a Halo 2 remake would help sell any systems or does it need to be Halo 5 to sell systems or is Halo no longer a system seller at all?

[quote name="Donken" post="11583899" timestamp="1394041436"]I agree that the follow missions without getting caught are the worst.[/quote]

I'd argue not as bad as those scattered throughout the GTA games. At least the AC character has the super power of seeing targets through buildings and highlight them yellow.

Not a fan of either though...

The Xbox One controller can be updated wirelessly, just not in this case. The February update already included the dead zone fix for the analog sticks. The wired update is only for making the Stereo Headset adapter work, which is why every one of them has a USB cable packed in. If you don't plan on using one, no need to plug in your controller and update it.

I would have thought that the release of an Xbox One Media Remote would have sparked some conversation.?

The Xbox One controller can be updated wirelessly, just not in this case. The February update already included the dead zone fix for the analog sticks. The wired update is only for making the Stereo Headset adapter work, which is why every one of them has a USB cable packed in. If you don't plan on using one, no need to plug in your controller and update it.
I don't think my controller came with the cable. Or I lost it.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Stereo Headset Adapter thing. The update is to get the adapter to work and the adapter comes with a USB-micro cable. Although, I'm surprised everyone doesn't already have like a hundred of these things since pretty much every phone, tablet, e-reader and every other device comes with one now. (Unless if it is an Apple device, they're just evil.)

What weirds me out is that firmware updates for controllers is even a thing. Oh how I miss the days when consoles were still very much consoles and you didn't have to worry about installs, firmware updates, dance cameras or network settings... What's even sadder is that I know the damn Retron 5 is going to have firmware updates and I'll be using that thing to play my NES games. :cry:

The controller doesn't come with a cable - the headset adapter does (along with any headsets that pack it in). There is no need to plug in your controller and update it unless you plan on using the adapter.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Stereo Headset Adapter thing. The update is to get the adapter to work and the adapter comes with a USB-micro cable. Although, I'm surprised everyone doesn't already have like a hundred of these things since pretty much every phone, tablet, e-reader and every other device comes with one now. (Unless if it is an Apple device, they're just evil.)

What weirds me out is that firmware updates for controllers is even a thing. Oh how I miss the days when consoles were still very much consoles and you didn't have to worry about installs, firmware updates, dance cameras or network settings... What's even sadder is that I know the damn Retron 5 is going to have firmware updates and I'll be using that thing to play my NES games. :cry:
It is a little strange to be updating controllers but I personally don't have a problem with updates. There's nothing wrong with making a product better after it has been released. It's a lot better than plugging in your game into your game genie into your 32x to your Sega CD just to get the most out of something!

It is crazy that the PS4 is selling so well considering its lack of "system sellers". People must be really tired of their last gen systems and have confidence that Sony will eventually deliver some stellar games.
It could also be how well Sony has followed through with PS+ over the last couple of years and they know they will have at least 1 free game to play every month for the PS4, particularly during this early dry spell.

Puzzle games are a dime a dozen, if one doesn't enjoy the storytelling and mystery of a Layton game then wouldn't one just play a straight collection of puzzle games?

I don't understand, If Cheapy is buying the prizes himself how is Walmart "sponsoring" the contest? Or are they reimbursing you later?

Unfortunately the do kinda have to put "Arkham" in the title to make it readily apparent to the uninformed consumer that this is another game connected to the original series and not some other shitty Batman game produced by a different studio (insert your Arkham Origins jokes here) who also has the Batman license.

What WB games probably should have done one or two Arkham games ago was add another word (or words) to the main title of the game series, Batman "Something Something": Arkham City so that "something something" would identify it as part of Arkham-style game series without having to shoehorn Arkham into the title or narrative every time. Then they would have been more free to take Batman to different settings without being hamstrung by the Arkham restriction.

CAG #357

2:15 CheapyD, Taiko Drum Master
6:00 Show Feedback
6:00 - XB1 rant
9:00 - Godzilla
12:00 - Hockey Pinball Table
13:30 - Titanfall bundle
14:30 Watch This: Frontline - Generation Like
17:45 New Releases
17:45 - South Park: The Stick of Truth
23:15 - Professor Layton
25:15 - Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition
25:45 - Awesomenauts
28:00 Xbox controller updates
31:45 Zoo Tycoon
35:45 Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare
38:30 Titanfall impact per console
40:45 Project Spark beta
41:45 Xbox Twitch
42:15 PS4 system seller
44:30 Donkey Kong
47:45 Yoshi's Island
49:30 Mario Microland playsets
54:45 Clickbait headlines
57:30 Disco Zoo
59:15 Bejeweled Poker, Hearthstone
60:00 Cagbag
60:00 - Amazon console
1:05:30 - Gay heroes in games
1:07:30 - Review adjustments
1:08:30 - XBL price

The question of gay heroes is kind of interesting. It assumes that characters are straight by default, and the only time a character is gay is if it is explicitly noted. Realistically, given all the characters that never express a sexuality, at least some are gay. I mean, who's to say that someone like Baird from Gears isn't gay? (I don't recall him referring to a wife/gf, but I could be wrong). And who knows maybe Duke Nukem has the worst case ever of trying to overcompensate ;)

As far as characters that explicitly note a gay/lesbian sexuality, Fear Effect (ps2) had a lesbian protagonist, although that was definitely there for titillation.

Man with PS plus, I feel like I am getting plenty to keep me occupied.

Question:
If I click on any of your amazon affiliate links do you get a cut no matter what I buy or just the item i clicked on? I have some purchases to make and want to make sure I can give someone I like the money.

Semi-serious question: if DK Jr grew up into current-era Donkey Kong, then how are both current-era DK AND DK Jr in Mario Tennis on the N64?

Cheapy, I know you were mostly joking, but Blizzard games being taken down for maintenance is par for the course. WoW is taken down every single Tuesday for a few hours for maintenance. (I know those are completely different types of games, but still both Blizzard.) It most likely has absolutely nothing to do with the iOS version, as you said.

I thought Donkey Kong (formerly Donkey Kong Jr.) was Diddy Kong's uncle.  So maybe current Donkey Kong Jr. is actually Donkey Kong III.

Regarding Wombat's "segment" on free-to-play developers being sonofabitch modern day slavers ... it's funny because it's true.

Great Podcast as always guys.  I've been listening for many years but I don't comment as often as I should.  Lately a couple of my favorite podcasts have gone away or reduced their frequency, so I wanted to let you guys know that I always look forward to the CAGcast and hope it continues for many years to come.

I was cracking up as it sounded like Wombat was about to start the 'back end / front end' debate while Cheapy was expressing distaste for wired controller updates.

Does Makoto from Enchanted Arms (360/PS3) count as a gay hero? Fear Effect 1 & 2 on the PS1 had a gay lead character. Flea (a henchman of Magus) from Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross was transgender. Fallout 2 had same sex marriage option. In Star Ocean 2 (PS1) if you picked Claude as main character instead of Rena, you could go on a date with Ashton, another party member. The Shadow Heart series has a bunch of gay characters. Wasn't Vamp from Metal Gear Solid gay?

Great show guys!

Wombat's performance of "In the Air Tonight" was magnificient.

His idea for the DC Universe game sounds awesome as well. I'd play that.

Yes the PS4 is making money on each unit but it's not much. I don't think the breakdown included development costs, but in terms of materials they're making money off every unit. They're mainly making money off the PS+ subs

Yes, nobody cares for Infamous: Second Son

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/infamous-second-son-pre-orders-higher-than-last-of-us/0129226

"We have high expectations for Infamous: Second Son and are excited by the level of pre-orders which are exceeding that of The Last of Us at this point in the run up to its launch,” said SCE UK product manager Josh Walker.
Wasn't that the same country that said Tearaway had more pre-orders than The Last of Us? Without numbers, this statement is meaningless, but Kudos on Sony for getting all the sites to report on it.

Wasn't that not a country that said Tearaway had more pre-orders, but simply ShopTo.net's list of top pre-orders which is as worthless as any other top seller list on a single store website?

This is Sony saying this about InFamous, which should be a more general statement on all retailers. You also didn't think Sony had confidence to make an entire commercial for InFamous, but there is a TV spot and as that article says they're doing multi-million pound promotion.

Don't understand the extreme downplaying going on against Infamous, but guess we'll see how it sells real soon now.

So now I need a PS3 or PS4 included cable to update my Xbox One controller? Thanks Microsoft....No wonder you are selling at a clip just barely above the WiiU

So now I need a PS3 or PS4 included cable to update my Xbox One controller? Thanks Microsoft....No wonder you are selling at a clip just barely above the WiiU
No...you don't. The update is only for using the Microsoft Stereo Headset Adapter, which comes with a USB Cable in the box. That's why there is no prompt with the March Update saying "Hey, plug in your controllers and update their firmware!". The only instructions to do so are in the adapter box or with any of the new headsets released today that use the adapter (all of which also come with a USB cable).

No...you don't. The update is only for using the Microsoft Stereo Headset Adapter, which comes with a USB Cable in the box. That's why there is no prompt with the March Update saying "Hey, plug in your controllers and update their firmware!". The only instructions to do so are in the adapter box or with any of the new headsets released today that use the adapter (all of which also come with a USB cable).
Thanks for clearing that up. I was going off what they said on the show. Haven't actually updated like this yet and now since you have explained it, I won't need to update my controllers unless I want a new headset.

Great show as always guys.

I think the biggest thing for the Xbox One is that it doesn't have a single thing people can point to and say "this is why you need it over the PS4." Look at all the advantages the 360 had:

*Better versions of multiplatform games

*Achievements (remember that trophies came much later)

*Netflix (exclusive for a good while)

*It was cheaper most of the generation

*Better friends list/party/chat infrastructure

*XBLA and downloadable games right off the bat (took Sony a while to catch up)

*Faster downloads/installs for games

Now Sony has tied or reversed the advantages in all of those categories. The only things the Xbox One really does are navigate menus with voice and watch cable while gaming through the HDMI pass-through. Other than that, there's no compelling "must have" feature that justifies it, especially for $100 extra.

I think the biggest thing for the Xbox One is that it doesn't have a single thing people can point to and say "this is why you need it over the PS4." Look at all the advantages the 360 had:

*Better versions of multiplatform games

*Achievements (remember that trophies came much later)

*Netflix (exclusive for a good while)

*It was cheaper most of the generation

*Better friends list/party/chat infrastructure

*XBLA and downloadable games right off the bat (took Sony a while to catch up)

*Faster downloads/installs for games

Now Sony has tied or reversed the advantages in all of those categories. The only things the Xbox One really does are navigate menus with voice and watch cable while gaming through the HDMI pass-through. Other than that, there's no compelling "must have" feature that justifies it, especially for $100 extra.
I'd like to point out that for $60 you can do voice commands (lol, the damn thing is a camera, shouldn't you care about what the camera does?) on PS4 too. And TV? I press a button on my remote that's 2 ft away, instant switch. Or wait, you might be talking about 'snap'. I don't want my TV in split screen, I'll use a tablet, laptop, or phone for a 'second screen'.

The question of gay heroes is kind of interesting. It assumes that characters are straight by default, and the only time a character is gay is if it is explicitly noted. Realistically, given all the characters that never express a sexuality, at least some are gay. I mean, who's to say that someone like Baird from Gears isn't gay? (I don't recall him referring to a wife/gf, but I could be wrong). And who knows maybe Duke Nukem has the worst case ever of trying to overcompensate ;)

As far as characters that explicitly note a gay/lesbian sexuality, Fear Effect (ps2) had a lesbian protagonist, although that was definitely there for titillation.
WTF? You act as though Ace and Gary don't exist.

I think the biggest thing for the Xbox One is that it doesn't have a single thing people can point to and say "this is why you need it over the PS4."
The most important difference should be the games. At launch the only compelling exclusives from either company were Dead Rising 3 and Ryse, which all three CAGs admitted was better than the reviews let on. Now Titanfall is coming. I'm not as dismissive of Infamous as Shipwreck but it's not a system seller either.

That being said, I'm one of those sticking with the last gen until systems get cheaper and the library gets deeper.

Great show guys.  I was pretty surprised to hear that the Xbox One has updates even for their controllers.  Myself having a PS4 right now, I too would like there to be some sort of update/option to turn of the Dualshock 4's big light, as it reflects against my TV quite a lot.  

A question for the next episode: With Watch_Dogs now finally having a release date, I've seen in many comments on sites that gamers have lost interest in the game, either due to the lengthy time when it was first revealed in E3 2012 to now, or from the new story trailer that seems to show a downgrade in graphics (because it's from the PS3 version) and just a seemly typical "revenge" story.  I guess my question is, do people still care about Watch_Dogs and will it sell new-gen consoles?  I myself can see WD becoming a $40 game within half a year, like the Assassin's Creed series tends to do.

Also, I'd like to be entered into the drawing for Infamous: Second Son.  Thanks!

bread's done
Back