Hearthstone: CAG-Style

PrimeTyme45

CAGiversary!
What's up everybody?  Been around for a while, but don't post much.  Cheapy talks about Hearthstone a lot, so I wanted to see if there were any other CAGs that were into it.  I couldn't find any other forum posts.

Let me know, and maybe we can start some deck discussions or get together for some matches.

Or, at the very least, you can use this as an oppurtunity to make fun of me for playing it...

Been playing it a lot lately. Just finished getting all of the basic cards. Now starting to play arena to turn all of that quest gold into booster packs. Lots of fun so far.

I tried it during beta... Wasn't really that impressed. Seemed like a stripped down MtG to me.
It IS a bit low on features, but I like that. It's a bit simpler, but still a challenge that requires strategy. And it allows Blizzard to add and tweak features moving forward.

It IS a bit low on features, but I like that. It's a bit simpler, but still a challenge that requires strategy. And it allows Blizzard to add and tweak features moving forward.
Hopefully, they will. I could do without some of the silly voice work but the presentation is Blizzard's typical top notch work... So it really should be an awesome game.

I tried it during beta... Wasn't really that impressed. Seemed like a stripped down MtG to me.
Yeah, I thought the same thing after my first few games, but something made me push through. I'm now convinced that it is just as deep (strategically and deck-bulding-wise) as MtG. Hardcore Magic Gamers (and poker players) like Gabe Walls have also gone "all in" (pun intended) with HS. I get that it might not be everybody's cup of tea though. If anybody wants to give it a whirl, I'm PrimeTyme45 #1188.

I've been playing it a bit (mostly just doing dailies) but now I'm getting bored as most of the booster packs I'm getting have the same old cards.  I just stack up three dailies and do them all concurrently in one play session.  Total time spent per week is probably less than two hours.

In terms of complexity I doubt it was ever intended to be too deep (although the strategy is still there).  This is Blizzard we're talking about.  Their goal is to make it as accessible as possible to rake in the microtransactions.  And while I know nothing about other card game scenes I'm sure part of their marketing is to 'bribe' big names players to shift over to HS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hearthstone is definitely a fun casual game to play, I've been playing it for quite awhile now.  If you enjoy all that world of warcraft lore then you will enjoy playing hearthstone, even though it is a card game, don't let that fool you or turn you off, it's worth trying out because it's free to play.

I just got into this the other day, and I'm really impressed. I have NOT played other CCGs, so I can't comment on the complexity of it. It seems like the learning curve is very fast and simple  --- it's just the strategies you come up with that are more complex (or as complex as you want it). I haven't spent any money on packs. I may in the future.. but not a lot. Maybe that $10 set or $20 and have it be a one time only thing. I'm OK with doing dailies and then doing arenas to unlocking more cards and then DE'ing the duplicates and create ones I need.

I have a lot of hope for this game. It's new, so anything goes. Currently, there's a promo that if you win 3 matches you will have the "Hearthsteed Mount" in WoW. I like that a lot. This gives me hope that they will have special events that will lead to other prizes/neat things like that. Perhaps even do stuff in their other games can unlock some decks. 

The main thing I am HOPING.. HOPING... for.. is they add vanity pets/mounts/extras to their decks much like TCG. Although I would love if they added the exact pets/mounts/extras to this game, I'm hoping for something new. This doesn't seem unlikely, and if they make these pets/mounts/extras available only (by chance) when you purchase packs, I'd assume that sales would increase a lot. Hell, I know I would set up some kind of limit to allow myself to buy packs. 

Regardless, It's a pretty great (addicting) game that has potential to become a lot better and much more involved with their other games. I'm already loving that people who purchased the D3 expansion received 1-3 packs. It's those kinds of extras that, if done right, can make Blizzard even more enjoyable. No, I'm not one of them blizzard fanboys.. I promise. 

Started playing this last week when the iPad version came out.  Made my USA itunes account Canadian 5 minutes to download it.  So hooked, trying to level all the classes up to unlock cards.  Beat all the AI on expert which was fun and a learning experience.  Add me if you want a game, this is my first card game so I'm always up for learning.

Tuku#1689 on battle.net

Started playing this last week when the iPad version came out. Made my USA itunes account Canadian 5 minutes to download it. So hooked, trying to level all the classes up to unlock cards. Beat all the AI on expert which was fun and a learning experience. Add me if you want a game, this is my first card game so I'm always up for learning.

Tuku#1689 on battle.net
I'll add ya tonight...

Started playing this last week when the iPad version came out. Made my USA itunes account Canadian 5 minutes to download it. So hooked, trying to level all the classes up to unlock cards. Beat all the AI on expert which was fun and a learning experience. Add me if you want a game, this is my first card game so I'm always up for learning.

Tuku#1689 on battle.net
Sent you an add request too, just so you know who it is and that it's only a semi-random and not completely random person. ;)

Sent you an add request too, just so you know who it is and that it's only a semi-random and not completely random person. ;)
Hey Motoki, I guess i'm kinda completely random as well (other than being a fellow cag), but I'm PrimeTyme45#1188 if you are so inclined.

I wasn't impressed with it. The ranked games were fine but the drafting is terrible, they inject way too much luck into it. The classes are not balanced, which wouldn't be a problem if the class choice weren't semi random. The quality of the cards varies from godly to complete crap, and as all the cards are random rather than passed to you from other players you can't table cards or move into strategies that are open rather you have to hope a specific strategy just work out or more realistically just always take the same universally good card. As all the games are best of ones and you get no information about your opponents deck list it's impossible to prepare a tailored game plan. Also the best of one means that you're going to end up losing to a lot of bad decks simply because of a bad opening hand/mulligan or they have a combo that they get off one every 3 games.

If there was a more fun way to get cards say trading, a more fair draft or a real draft I'd be more interested in the game, but I'm not interested in sinking hundreds of dollars or hours grinding just to get to the real game.

I just downloaded this on iPad and I'm enjoying it.  So far it seems like I either kill someone or get killed myself.  Very few games come down to each of us with 5 or less HP although I just got SMOKED by someone where I had 23 HP to his 4 and he used one 7 attack card and applied two +3 cards to it making it a 13 attack and then added some whirlwind card allowing him to go twice in one turn and he absolutely crushed me.  It was kind of fun to watch even though I lost.

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet either - I unlocked all the characters and I've leveled one up past 10 (the Mage).  It's fun.

I just downloaded this on iPad and I'm enjoying it. So far it seems like I either kill someone or get killed myself. Very few games come down to each of us with 5 or less HP although I just got SMOKED by someone where I had 23 HP to his 4 and he used one 7 attack card and applied two +3 cards to it making it a 13 attack and then added some whirlwind card allowing him to go twice in one turn and he absolutely crushed me. It was kind of fun to watch even though I lost.

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet either - I unlocked all the characters and I've leveled one up past 10 (the Mage). It's fun.
Javery, what's your battle.net tag? I'm thinking about putting together a CAG Hearthstone spreadsheet.

Won 2 matches in a row (casual) with a 2nd random Mage deck I created (mostly using their suggestions). Might have to retire now, I'll probably never top that.

I used to play the game quite a bit but I'm sort of in a chilling mode with the game right now. I am excited about the new expansion/single player content they are going to be adding. That will likely get me interested and back playing regularly again.

I pretty much feel the same way about this game as itachiitachi did. The fact that you can't at least do your daily quests through AI battles makes things all the worse. Just feels like a cheap cash grab with a client still riddled with visual and internal bugs (on PC at least). Being unable to trade is a terrible idea, too.

My opinion of Blizzard continues to drop.

I don't see how that would be the case. If they'd have allowed me to trade with friends, maybe I could have done a little something more when combined with what I had. Certainly better than us 'disenchanting' excess good cards for a pittance.

Not to mention, at least Diablo 3 ultimately compensated for the removal of the auction house with much improved drop rates. HS feels incredibly pay-to-win at the moment.

This game is like having original D3 drop rates on top of no auction house or any way to trade with friends.

I don't see how that would be the case. If they'd have allowed me to trade with friends, maybe I could have done a little something more when combined with what I had. Certainly better than us 'disenchanting' excess good cards for a pittance.

Not to mention, at least Diablo 3 ultimately compensated for the removal of the auction house with much improved drop rates. HS feels incredibly pay-to-win at the moment.

This game is like having original D3 drop rates on top of no auction house or any way to trade with friends.
I realize that I welcomed the D3 comparisons (because I brought it up), but your last sentence isn't a fair comparison considering you don't have to pay for Hearthstone, whereas D3 was full retail.

As I metnioned above, I've only paid $1.99 so far (for an Arena pass during the beta) and I currently only have 3 legendary cards. However, I don't feel lke I need to spend money to be any more competitive than I already am. Plenty of folks have made it to Legendary using free to play decks (all basics and commons). We'll just have to agree to disagree...

I think the auction house model would actually be useful in this game, it would eliminate the need to try to force people to buy cards by making grinding for them so boring and random. In addition it would give people the incentive to collect more cards than need, and people would probably be less hesitant to buy cards if they knew the could easily sell them. They would probably need a sink for the economy but that wouldn't too hard to incorporate.

I pretty much feel the same way about this game as itachiitachi did. The fact that you can't at least do your daily quests through AI battles makes things all the worse. Just feels like a cheap cash grab with a client still riddled with visual and internal bugs (on PC at least). Being unable to trade is a terrible idea, too.

My opinion of Blizzard continues to drop.
I disagree with almost everything in this post. I love the fact that there's no trading (love, love, love). And it completely makes sense that you can't complete quests vs. AI. And in my opinion, it doesn't seem like a cheap cash grab at all. I feel like I can compete very well without spending a single cent.

I disagree with almost everything in this post. I love the fact that there's no trading (love, love, love). And it completely makes sense that you can't complete quests vs. AI. And in my opinion, it doesn't seem like a cheap cash grab at all. I feel like I can compete very well without spending a single cent.
I agree completely. Drop your battlenet tag if you ever want to play a friendly.

As promised, I put together a rudimentary excel spreadsheet so that CAG Hearthstoners can met up for friendlies: http://1drv.ms/1hlxxyb

If you want me to add you (or to add additional information about you), just leave the following information in this thread and I'll update the sheet:

• HS Name (battle.net tag)
  • Real Name (optional)
  • Location (city or state)
  • Highest Rank Achieved
  • Favorite Hero(es)
Hope this is useful to some of you.  Take care.

Nope, it'd be a bit too easy to game the system if they did that. 

I just thought it'd be nice to have some friendlies to try out decks and talk strategy with no pressure.  I also figured it'd be nice if people could see if other players are in their area to possibly meet up at one of those "Fireside Gatherings."  Lastly, and I'm talking way down the line, if we had enough interest, we could try to do a CAG Hearthsone Tourney or something.

Well, as much as I like this game, it's burning me out because I'm either fuck ing horrible at it, or my arena cards suck a**. I just went two straight runs without a win, and in 5 of the 6 losses, my opponent played a legendary. I have yet to see a single legendary in my arena draft. Not sure what else to do, because I want to keep playing, but there are plenty of other games that won't piss me off this much.

Well, as much as I like this game, it's burning me out because I'm either fuck ing horrible at it, or my arena cards suck a**.
Some tips for picking arena cards:

You want cards that are guaranteed to be good at some point in every game. It doesn't have to be good all the time, but it needs to be good in every game -- the last thing you want in the arena is to draw a dead card. You don't want to pick cards that rely on the composition of your deck, since you can't control that (eg. don't pick murloc cards). Cards like molten giant are OK (cost = current hp - 10), since they'll be good at some point, but having one in your hand early can still screw you over a bit. Arena is generally more minion-heavy than constructed, so any minions that have battlecries that buff other minions are usually excellent picks. A card draw or two isn't bad, if there's no other great card to pick. Most weapons are great; as a byproduct, that makes acidic swap ooze (battlecry = destroy opponent's weapon) great (it's still guaranteed to be an OK card, even without the battlecry). When you get down to the last 10-15 picks, you want to start trying to fill in gaps in your hand -- you want to have a good amount of 2-drops (cards that are good to play turn 2), for example. For most cards, especially ones that are only good conditionally, you generally don't want duplicates, unless they're great arena cards to begin with. There's nothing wrong with minions without any text in arena (eg. the 4/5 chillwind yeti is a popular pick in arena). AoE can be a game changer in the minion-heavy arena -- if you're a mage, pick flamestrike, if you're a paladin, pick consecration, etc. Since arena is minion heavy, you generally want cards that maintain board control rather than deal damage directly to the hero -- a battlecry or a spell that deals x damage to the opponent's hero is generally useless in arena. Along those same lines, charge usually isn't that great, although it can still be used for board control if it's low cost or has high health, so it's not terrible. It can be good to have a little bit of card removal, just in case you do see that legendary; although, tbh, legendaries usually aren't that big of game changers -- if you're ahead, they're going to put you a little bit more ahead, but if you're behind, they usually don't save you. In any case, though, it never hurts to have a silence card, or a card like polymorph, hex, assassinate, or shadow word death to take care of them or other powerful minions.

Anyone have anything I neglected to mention?

I have been too timid to try the Arena after the initial freebie - I won my first game and then had to exit to do something IRL.  I play casual and I seem to win about 60% of the time which is pretty good I guess.  I've only opened about 5 or 6 decks so I don't have a lot of cards (no legendary).  I need to play the daily quests more consistently to build up some coin.

I have been too timid to try the Arena after the initial freebie - I won my first game and then had to exit to do something IRL. I play casual and I seem to win about 60% of the time which is pretty good I guess. I've only opened about 5 or 6 decks so I don't have a lot of cards (no legendary). I need to play the daily quests more consistently to build up some coin.
Even if you exit the arena, you can still go back in and complete your run. You don't have to do it all in one sitting.

So deck building is definitely necessary to win. I was getting killed all the time by cards I've never seen and it was frustrating so I decided to put together a few decks. I have no idea what I'm doing but I became immediately competitive again.

So deck building is definitely necessary to win. I was getting killed all the time by cards I've never seen and it was frustrating so I decided to put together a few decks. I have no idea what I'm doing but I became immediately competitive again.
For sure. You can even be fairly successful without any legendary cards. That's not to say you can do so with all basic (or even common) cards, though. Basically every deck needs to have the right few rares (and perhaps even an epic) to make it sync.

I'm saving my dust to craft legendaries, for example, but I could probably get a lot higher on the ladder right now if I used it to create a couple of rares.

I have no legendary cards and I got smoked by one for the first time playing casual. Some 8/8 dragon that summoned 1/1 minions with charge until the board was full.

I have no legendary cards and I got smoked by one for the first time playing casual. Some 8/8 dragon that summoned 1/1 minions with charge until the board was full.
He/she must've had a Warsong Commander out or something. Those regularly don't have charge.

Yeah, Onyixa summons the whelps, but not with charge.  Javery, there is a lot of controversy about the process of "netdecking," but if you go to hearthhead.com you can see a lot of decks that people use.  Many of them are successful and use nothing but "free" cards.

I've been decently successful just randomly making my own decks but I'll check out some premade ones for sure.  I try stacking with lower mana cards (0-3) and then add a bunch (8 or so cards) from 4+ that mostly have Taunt.  So far so good although when I get a bad deal in the beginning and can't play any cards for a while because they are all 4+ mana I usually lose.  I've been slowly unlocking cards by buying packs for 100 Gold - I haven't paid for anything so I don't have any legendaries yet.

I disagree with almost everything in this post. I love the fact that there's no trading (love, love, love).
Can you please explain what is so great about having to trade 4 for 1 rather than 1 for 1 on average and not being able to cash out if you decided you no longer wish to play the game.

bread's done
Back