50% off Gamers Club Unlocked, 3/20/14 to 3/22/14

WuTangSwordsman

CAGiversary!
Fellow CAG Members,

If this has already been posted, my bad... However, for those of you who missed out on the deal before, it looks as if BB is giving you another shot. Just happened to run across this, so I thought I would pass it along just in case.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Latest-Greatest/50-off-Gamers-Club-Unlocked-3-20-14-to-3-22-14/ba-p/798322

Being that I have saved so much with this site, I figured it was the least I could do to help some of you fellow CAGs out there looking for the deal! It is IN-STORE and only good for the dates posted in the Subject line... Good luck and possible YMMV!

They're really pushing to get people locked in to buying from them for 2 years. Gee I wonder why?

I think "saving" is the wrong word because people end up spending much more than they otherwise would to consciously or subconsciously justify spending the money to join the club.

$60 is obviously more reasonable than $120 but their plan to hook you is still the same.

I had to wonder, especially at the $120 price point, how man $60 or even $40 videogames are people buying? I buy like 2 a year at that price and it's usually with Gamestop credit so I don't have to pay tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed out last time and am going to have to think long and hard about joining this time. I've already committed to inFamous, MLB 14 and Halo 2 Anniversary (if the leaked report is true, which it's looking like it is so far), which puts me two full $60 games away from having it "pay for itself." Plus I'd be locked in to Best Buy for all of my preorders/purchases.

They're really pushing to get people locked in to buying from them for 2 years. Gee I wonder why?

I think "saving" is the wrong word because people end up spending much more than they otherwise would to consciously or subconsciously justify spending the money to join the club.

$60 is obviously more reasonable than $120 but their plan to hook you is still the same.

I had to wonder, especially at the $120 price point, how man $60 or even $40 videogames are people buying? I buy like 2 a year at that price and it's usually with Gamestop credit so I don't have to pay tax.
I've already made at least quadruple of what I paid for the membership back. Granted I joined when it was still $15 and reupped for $30. However, even at $60 you will still end up saving a lot depending on how much you buy/trade. Obviously for you it isn't that great since you only buy two games a year. But for most of us who buy 5 or more games a year, that already pays itself back. And that's only in 1 year. Not mention the fact that if we don't like/beat the game within a couple weeks of release we can 8/10 of the time trade it back in for at least $44. You rack up points from buying and trading and you earn free GCs quickly. Not to mention the fact that most AAA titles give you a free $10GC for just preordering. I got Titanfall for $48 and tax but also with a $10GC. That's basicially $38 and tax. If I wanted to, I could trade it in now for $44. I come out ahead by a couple bucks.

EDIT: I'm not even going to get into how many times Best Buy's servers goof with their math and we end up getting games 30%-40% cheaper with games that are on sale.

Best buy still much better than Gamestop Ripping Off.  You save $12 on $60 game, Save $10 on $50 game, Save $8 on $40 game, Save $6 on $30 game and Save $4 on $20 game. Plus Pre-order Bonus Free $10 GC on Big Titles & DLC.  I think it worth it ;)

I've already made at least quadruple of what I paid for the membership back. Granted I joined when it was still $15 and reupped for $30. However, even at $60 you will still end up saving a lot depending on how much you buy/trade. Obviously for you it isn't that great since you only buy two games a year. But for most of us who buy 5 or more games a year, that already pays itself back. And that's only in 1 year. Not mention the fact that if we don't like/beat the game within a couple weeks of release we can 8/10 of the time trade it back in for at least $44. You rack up points from buying and trading and you earn free GCs quickly. Not to mention the fact that most AAA titles give you a free $10GC for just preordering. I got Titanfall for $48 and tax but also with a $10GC. That's basicially $38 and tax. If I wanted to, I could trade it in now for $44. I come out ahead by a couple bucks.

EDIT: I'm not even going to get into how many times Best Buy's servers goof with their math and we end up getting games 30%-40% cheaper with games that are on sale.
This. Bought South Park: Stick of Truth for $48, received $20 in certificates for my purchase, traded it in for $40 with a $4 bonus for being GCU for a grand total of making $16 for playing a game at launch. Obviously that was the last $20 certificate game, but as you pointed out, even Titanfall with the $10 certificate is still a money maker currently.

This would be cool, but then I looked at all the games I brought in the past 6ish months and the majority were not from Best Buy. (And of those, only a few were actual full MSRP games and not sales).

I'd feel like for 60$ (And especially 120$) I'd barely cut even by the time 2 years came. With all the hassles they have given me with pre-ordered games lately, I tend to avoid them whenever possible

Nice for those who missed out earlier this month. Does this stack if you have a 2 year membership already?

Hopefully those 2 GS titles you buy each year to save on tax are not priced at $5 OVER MSRP. They like to do that from time to time.

IF I was still buying games like I was 2 years ago I would be all over this but right now I am trying something novel and playing the games I already have instead.  Once I actually have a reasonable backlog I might join.  Seems like $60 might be coming around often considering this is the 2nd sale in two weeks.  If not, I won't worry too much.

This would be cool, but then I looked at all the games I brought in the past 6ish months and the majority were not from Best Buy. (And of those, only a few were actual full MSRP games and not sales).

I'd feel like for 60$ (And especially 120$) I'd barely cut even by the time 2 years came. With all the hassles they have given me with pre-ordered games lately, I tend to avoid them whenever possible
It only takes buying 5 full $60 MSRP games in TWO years to make up the $60 membership cost. Everything after is exponential savings.

Was thinking about pulling the trigger since I have a 50$ gift card but the Cult like behavior of people ramming their GCU for life non sense down other peoples throats constantly and the fact that the 2 best buys near me have a 1\4 of an isle dedicated to all 12 video games they carry 1-2 accessories for all platforms I'll probably pass.

Things like this would make me spend more on games then I really want to 20% off or not its hard to not buy games to save money when you paid 60 bucks for it.

Guess I'll think about it for the day.

I'm not sure if anyone can verify this or not, but when I was in BB the other day I was chatting with one of the employees that I see quite a bit. He's a very knowledgable game guy and a big gamer. We were talking about GCU and he mentioned that after the first half price sale he was informed that the membership "stacks". So even if you have one now like I do (I renewed for $30 like a lot of us did), you could pay another $60 and be good for four years. But even he said that he was leary because who knows where BB will be in four years? Didn't they come close to bankruptcy a few years ago?

I'm also leary because my old membership wasn't supposed to expire until some time in February I believe. Since that 2 years for $30 coupon initially had an expiration date of 12/31/13 I stopped in and renewed on 12/28 I believe. I asked the guy if it would just tack on the two years after my February expiration and he said it should. It didn't. It started the two years from 12/28.

One of the most beneficial and frustrating programs there is.  Getting the 10% trade in bonus with any consistency takes a small miracle.

I'm not sure if anyone can verify this or not, but when I was in BB the other day I was chatting with one of the employees that I see quite a bit. He's a very knowledgable game guy and a big gamer. We were talking about GCU and he mentioned that after the first half price sale he was informed that the membership "stacks". So even if you have one now like I do (I renewed for $30 like a lot of us did), you could pay another $60 and be good for four years. But even he said that he was leary because who knows where BB will be in four years? Didn't they come close to bankruptcy a few years ago?

I'm also leary because my old membership wasn't supposed to expire until some time in February I believe. Since that 2 years for $30 coupon initially had an expiration date of 12/31/13 I stopped in and renewed on 12/28 I believe. I asked the guy if it would just tack on the two years after my February expiration and he said it should. It didn't. It started the two years from 12/28.
He's right. I am paid through 4 years.

Thanks OP, store was out of cards and the employees were clueless, but was able to use the sku with my reward zone card. Sku is 3081375 for anyone who needs it.

Great deal if buying Nintendo games as those rarely go on sale. Kind of hoping they do a $30 promo but I think $60 is all they're going to do. :(

Signed up during the sale last week.

Saved $12.64 by using the "50% off any Guide" coupon included in the welcome package. (Plus two 15% savings for buying with a game, but i would have gotten that even if I wasn't an unlocked member.)

Saved $8 on Yoshi's New Island for the girlfriend.

Saved $5.60 on Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins for myself. (So I can qualify for the free Pokemon promo.)

My girlfriend bought a copy of Animal Crossing last night and I let her use my card. She saved $6.

So that's $32.64 in savings and I'm barely past the first week being a part of the membership.

I just wish I could get another "50 off guide" coupon instead of the "10% off digital" or "Buy 2, Get 1 Free on Used Games" coupon, neither of which I'll ever use.

I want the Wind Waker HD guide in addition to the "Link Between Worlds" guide I bought recently. The cashier had to key the coupon in manually as I forgot to print it. If I knew that this somehow meant the coupon wasn't counted as "redeemed" I'd print it and try to use it again, but I'd hate for it to be rejected and have me look like a fool.

Damn it, why does this have to happen after I just got 100 bucks of MS points for 20% off?

Not sure if I should go in on this or not.

I really like my GCU unlocked, but I'm quickly learning that it's more beneficial to use online than in-store. The past 3 games I've tried to preorder and pick up in-store have been nightmares, but maybe that's just my local BB being scrubby. Other than that, I've made almost all of my post-launch purchases at best buy and made up my buy in price in no time, though Gamestop still gets my niche game and collector's edition purchases.

For those that are already members, can we share the membership with a friend?

I know there's a limit of copies of a game (3) you can get with each account, but I don't think that is an issue for us.

Are you asked for an ID when purchasing? Or just your phone number as with the regular membership?

you should really learn your facts before posting negative ned. 20% off new games...if your a main stream gamer (i'm a niche gamer, not interested to pay $60 [even with 20% off]for a FPS,zombie shooter game etc) that buys a lot of games, this would help you out a LOT. if you rarely buy games, which you said "2 a year" which is like me, don't bother buying it then. also, your not supporting gamestop (which is more than enough for me) so if a deal doesn't appeal to you, just leave it as is.

It isn't a guarantee this will help you, maybe 10-14 days until another retailer undercuts your savings and your SOL because you paid bestbuy already making it stupid to shop elsewhere.

in before people man-splaining how this isn't actually a good deal...

even though people have clear evidence as to how you can actually make money or break even playing new games at launch.

oh wait......too late

Best Buy has done the math and the calc on sales. They are adjusting the price to make more money. They can extrapolate out how many games the average person buys and will save with the membership. Just because a handful of people here make money, the house will always win. This program is not to save us money, it's to make them money. Just like a gym membership you pay for each month and quit going, but you keep on paying.

REMEMBER!!!!

If you bought a membership to sign up for the $10 rebate @ Ibotta for spending $100 at Bestbuy in the last week.

http://ibotta.com/r/QF5CeQ

New members get an extra $2 ($12 total) and you can have it deposited into your Paypal account in under 2 hours.

Signed up during the sale last week.

Saved $12.64 by using the "50% off any Guide" coupon included in the welcome package. (Plus two 15% savings for buying with a game, but i would have gotten that even if I wasn't an unlocked member.)

Saved $8 on Yoshi's New Island for the girlfriend.

Saved $5.60 on Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins for myself. (So I can qualify for the free Pokemon promo.)

My girlfriend bought a copy of Animal Crossing last night and I let her use my card. She saved $6.

So that's $32.64 in savings and I'm barely past the first week being a part of the membership.

I just wish I could get another "50 off guide" coupon instead of the "10% off digital" or "Buy 2, Get 1 Free on Used Games" coupon, neither of which I'll ever use.

I want the Wind Waker HD guide in addition to the "Link Between Worlds" guide I bought recently. The cashier had to key the coupon in manually as I forgot to print it. If I knew that this somehow meant the coupon wasn't counted as "redeemed" I'd print it and try to use it again, but I'd hate for it to be rejected and have me look like a fool.
You could just renew for another two years since they stack and you should receive another set of coupons.

For the average Joe if they charged $15 for this membership that would be too much even if they were going to save $12 on their first game. People don't want to invest in 2 year video game memberships.

I got in on this the other week, looking forward to saving $, especially around the holidays when sales drop the prices.

I just share my membership with my best friend. We use it on occasion but titanfall, infamous, and the b2g1 and guide stacking paid for mine in the first 2 months.

Thanks for the heads up. I missed it last time. As long as Best Buy carries niche titles like Bravely Default (just about all I buy at release), I'll easily make back my $60 in 2 years.

You can seriously just give your phone # to anyone(friends, family, etc) so they can use your GCU. Free points FTW.
Plus the added benefit of if someone buys three of the same game you get BANNED! (You are limited to 20% off a total of THREE of a game, so no buying 4 copies of titanfall etc...)

bread's done
Back