Photo
* * - - - 13 votes

(Dead) Best Buy MSRP Trade in Credit on New Games/Stacks with Gamer Club Unlocked

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 lihawk7

lihawk7

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

Not necessarily a deal but very useful information. Today at Best Buy I purchased Dark Souls 2 for PS3 with the Gamer Unlocked 20% discount. As usual I was offered 2 years of Geek Squad protection. Before I could decline, the sales person cautioned me not to deny the extra protection because it locks in the price I paid for the game in store credit for up to 2 years. Since I ended up paying $47.99 before taxes on Dark Souls 2 with $7.99 of Geek Squad protection I can trade the game back into Best Buy for $47.99 anytime during the period of the protection which is up to 2 years. Adding in MSRP with the Gamer Club Unlocked Discount for $47.99, 2 years of Geek Squad Protection for $7.99, and taxes of $3.36; came out to $59.34. In my opinion this is great information for anyone like myself with a huge back log and little time to play games (it takes me 3 to 6 months to finish a 20-30 hour game). Even if I traded in Dark Souls 2 23 months from now (assuming Best Buy is still in business and accepting trade-ins) I would have only lost $11.35 between the game, 2 year protection plan, and taxes. Lastly, I also purchased the PC version from GMG but could not resist the temptation to play sooner on my PS3. Caution: This is my first time accepting protection for any game so if someone out there has any experience with this combo please contribute.

#2 Vinsanity

Vinsanity

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

I have a headache now, thanks..

#3 tokyostomp

tokyostomp

Official Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

I think you were misled. It's not exactly a trade-in but rather a replacement.

As in you bought the game for $50, with the "GSP" you'll most likely get the same game if they carry it.

The only way I can see them offering store credit is if the game is no longer available in their system.

Very likely that this is vary from store to store. Some may not care and give store credit like candy other might be very strict.

Beat the game and "trade" it in and let us know.

#4 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:18 AM

Not necessarily a deal but very useful information. Today at Best Buy I purchased Dark Souls 2 for PS3 with the Gamer Unlocked 20% discount.  As usual I was offered 2 years of Geek Squad protection.  Before I could decline, the sales person cautioned me not to deny the extra protection because it locks in the price I paid for the game in store credit for up to 2 years.  Since I ended up paying $47.99 before taxes on Dark Souls 2 with $7.99 of Geek Squad protection I can trade the game back into Best Buy for $47.99 anytime during the period of the protection which is up to 2 years. Adding in MSRP with the Gamer Club Unlocked Discount for $47.99, 2 years of Geek Squad Protection for $7.99, and taxes of $3.36; came out to $59.34. In my opinion this is great information for anyone like myself with a huge back log and little time to play games (it takes me 3 to 6 months to finish a 20-30 hour game).  Even if I traded in Dark Souls 2 23 months from now (assuming Best Buy is still in business and accepting trade-ins) I would have only lost $11.35 between the game, 2 year protection plan, and taxes.  Lastly, I also purchased the PC version from GMG but could not resist the temptation to play sooner on my PS3. Caution: This is my first time accepting protection for any game so if someone out there has any experience with this combo please contribute.   

I think this is not accurate.  You will have to lie to the store and claim the game was damaged or no longer works to get the full value you paid back for it under that protection plan.  The protection plan has no impact on trade-in value.  

#5 ritchardf

ritchardf

add ritchardf on psn and xbox live

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:18 AM

yeah, they ripped you off

#6 Hemi

Hemi

One with the never-ending backlog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

Not necessarily a deal but very useful information. Today at Best Buy I purchased Dark Souls 2 for PS3 with the Gamer Unlocked 20% discount.  As usual I was offered 2 years of Geek Squad protection.  Before I could decline, the sales person cautioned me not to deny the extra protection because it locks in the price I paid for the game in store credit for up to 2 years.  Since I ended up paying $47.99 before taxes on Dark Souls 2 with $7.99 of Geek Squad protection I can trade the game back into Best Buy for $47.99 anytime during the period of the protection which is up to 2 years. Adding in MSRP with the Gamer Club Unlocked Discount for $47.99, 2 years of Geek Squad Protection for $7.99, and taxes of $3.36; came out to $59.34. In my opinion this is great information for anyone like myself with a huge back log and little time to play games (it takes me 3 to 6 months to finish a 20-30 hour game).  Even if I traded in Dark Souls 2 23 months from now (assuming Best Buy is still in business and accepting trade-ins) I would have only lost $11.35 between the game, 2 year protection plan, and taxes.  Lastly, I also purchased the PC version from GMG but could not resist the temptation to play sooner on my PS3. Caution: This is my first time accepting protection for any game so if someone out there has any experience with this combo please contribute.   

Yeah so you got fed wrong information. It does NOT "Lock in" the trade in value of the game for two years...

#7 lihawk7

lihawk7

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

I will provide an update when I attempt to trade in the game next month. 

#8 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

At first I thought this was an enuf post.

TheVila.png

#9 aircobra

aircobra

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

Please don't. We already know that it is wrong information you were given.

644690.png

#10 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

Sorry buddy, you got misled or missunderstood the sales rep. All you bought is a replacement plan. Basically you can get the game replaced should it be damaged. There is no such thing as guaranteeing a TIV for two years.

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#11 dan77733

dan77733

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

If you didnt open the game yet, you should return it for a full refund and then re-purchase it WITHOUT the protection so you can save some money.

#12 Flash15

Flash15

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

lol! uhhhh you were misinformed :(

Miami+Flash15.png

#13 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

wow that was some totally geek squad ownage lmao. you got lied to baaaaad
Currently playing
:ps4: blacklight retribution, mlb 14, lego marvel, the transistor, contrast, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#14 zyk

zyk

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:24 AM

Ouch, this is worse than some of the stuff shady GameStop employees do

Currently Playing

:360: Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare

:3ds: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

:ps3: Tales of Xillia

:ps4: Knack

#15 Lulgasms

Lulgasms

Resident Xbone hater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

Does this surprise anyone when they charge labor for installing software lul.

#16 Flash15

Flash15

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

Even if this were true, what happens if the TIV increases from what you 'locked it in' at? lol 

Miami+Flash15.png

#17 georgebot84

georgebot84

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:34 AM

hahaha, 8 bux gone

#18 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

I would assume that like most of their plans he should be able to return just the plan within 15 days.

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif   :pc: Shadowrun Returns :-?   :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot: Wind Waker HD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :ps4: MLB 14 The Show 33w7311.png
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List - H: MK8 Promo Game Choice

#19 mask-air-raid

mask-air-raid

Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

Slidecage?

Swag Bucks referral: http://swagbucks.com/refer/newmask

GiftHulk  invite code:RD172480

ShopKick: http://get.shopkick.com/barium13444

Gets you GC and PayPal cash. Over 0 CAGs referred!

Send me a PM if you use my links so I know who you are.

#20 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

Slidecage?

i miss the good old days when you could screw best buy like this.

Buy a system   play it for 2 years    say its busted  get a  gift card for what you paid for the system then and  rebuy it.

i remember doing this  with the psp.  Paid  like 199 for a psp   2 years later returned it  and got a 199 buck gift card  and found the purple  psp on sale for 149.    Waited  2 years.  return it and got a normal psp for 99

so mostly got to use a  system for free for 2 years and got a 50 buck gift card free......

WOOOO I STINK

#21 kickrockz713

kickrockz713

Adult Swim. August 7th. 11/10c

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

He lied to you OP, big time

rsz_3james_harden_jh.png677547.pngrsz_jj_watt_texans_2012.jpg

Playing: :xb1: UFC   :ps4: Nothing   :wiiu: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate   :360: Metro Last Light   :ps3: Beyond Two Souls   :3ds: Pokemon Y   :vita: J&D TPL

#22 phoenixlau

phoenixlau

backlogged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

Damn son, you just made that guy's upsell quota.  High fives were had in the break room.

Check my sell list! (online passes, DLC, Club Nintendo coins) http://www.cheapassg.../#entry11867110

***NEW*** Evil Dead (2013) DVD - UltraViolet code - $1

#23 Outrager

Outrager

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:10 AM

Does this surprise anyone when they charge labor for installing software lul.

That sounds bad for people who have been using computers for awhile, but when you think about it from a business perspective it's not like they're going to do it for free. At that point you can say they should install upgrades like RAM for free if you bring your system in and buy RAM. The evil part is probably how much they charge for it. $4.99 or something seems like a decent enough price to install something like Firefox, but I bet they charge something stupid like $30. Or maybe like a $1 print out brochure that gives you the steps on how to do it yourself since those people don't seem to know how to use Google.

Hmmm... that would have probably been a good idea 10 years ago. If you buy the upgrade part from me I'll install it for free. It's too bad mom and pop computer stores probably won't make money these days.

#24 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:18 AM

The best buy trade in information system is totally sophisticated enough to track your game purchases and geek squad protection purchases and be able to link that information to your elite plus account and link that information with you gamers club unlocked account and be able to recall all of that information when you trade the game back in up to two years later. It also helps that best buy employees always know how to look up your account during trade ins to get your 10% extra. The best buy information system infrastructure is perfect at accomplishing all of these tasks. I don't understand why everyone is saying this is all inconceivable. :P

Open spoiler at your own risk.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#25 BudzMcGee

BudzMcGee

Clearance Bin Review

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

i miss the good old days when you could screw best buy like this.

Buy a system   play it for 2 years    say its busted  get a  gift card for what you paid for the system then and  rebuy it.

i remember doing this  with the psp.  Paid  like 199 for a psp   2 years later returned it  and got a 199 buck gift card  and found the purple  psp on sale for 149.    Waited  2 years.  return it and got a normal psp for 99

so mostly got to use a  system for free for 2 years and got a 50 buck gift card free......

This is like literally the reason we no longer have a 60 day return/price match window and have all returns tracked by a third party now.

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Sign up for Shopkick and get free Best Buy and Target gift cards for free! Sign up through here (referral) for 50 bonus kicks!

#26 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

did he hush and wink and nod when he told you this?

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#27 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

doesnt bestbuy charge for hdmi instilation ? lmaoooo
Currently playing
:ps4: blacklight retribution, mlb 14, lego marvel, the transistor, contrast, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#28 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:34 AM

It would probably just be more fun to bring the game back to the store with "the intention" of trading it in only to then stage some crazy fall down scene where you destroy not only your own geek-protected copy but also every other copy in the store.  :)

Selling on Amazon as Gaming Cheaply

Please feel free to PM me if there is a game you want to purchase cheaper than Amazon Warehouse or Gamestop.

#29 doc_j88

doc_j88

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:36 AM

This guy isn't a hawk. He's a turkey....A gullible turkey

#30 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

In my opinion this is great information for anyone like myself with a huge back log and little time to play games (it takes me 3 to 6 months to finish a 20-30 hour game). 

I also have a backlog, I just play my backlog, wait for GF $9.99 sales and stay away from new release like the plague.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List

My Lowball!

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png