I've sold on ebay before (codes) but I've never sold anything that needed to be shipped. How does that work?

BluBlue4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
A game or two and maybe a necklace. I'm assuming standard shipping is about $2-$4 to send anywhere in the U.S. Is there a certain protection needed so that the buyer can't claim it never arrived? I don't have labels or boxes the right size for a game disc/case. If I show up with nothing but the item at my local mail place will I be helped with all of this?

A game or two and maybe a necklace. I'm assuming standard shipping is about $2-$4 to send anywhere in the U.S. Is there a certain protection needed so that the buyer can't claim it never arrived? I don't have labels or boxes the right size for a game disc/case. If I show up with nothing but the item at my local mail place will I be helped with all of this?
Do you have a printer? If so I would suggest printing the postage online. You can pay for postage, and mailing supplies at the post office but you will be charged MORE then if you pay for postage online. Also, padded mailers will be more at the post office then at say the dollar store.

You need to have online tracking, that shows delivered, to be protected against an Item Not Received "INR" dispute. Another benefit of printing postage through eBay is they automatically transfer the tracking information into the transaction so you don't have to worry about doing that later.

You can ship items up to 13oz by First Class Mail.

Priority Flat Rate Envelopes are free at the post office and run about $5 for postage charges (again more if paid at the post office vs online). They also include $50 worth of insurance built into the postage

Very quick reply. Thank you.

I think I'm only going to sell 2 or at most 3 things at the moment.

Obviously you wouldn't know the specific rates here but do you feel that buying the packaging at the dollar store or online would save anything more than $2-$3 dollars on a single shipment? I would actually be asking my very busy brother to drive my item to the mail place and iId rather not tack on going to the dollar store (far-ish in a other direction) unless it needed.

I will definitely be printing postage through ebay. Telling me that alone might have saved me a dispute.

So just to be sure that I understood. I print out my postage. Go down to the mail place. Pay about $5 to ship (which they'll help with?) And done? Do I even need to bring my own tape? $50 of insurance is good news. Right about what the item goes for.

Okay hold on.

1) If you print postage on eBay you'll get billed at the time you print it. Printing a label with an address on it is not the same as printing postage. To print postage you need to know the address, weight and mail class you're going to be using. First Class rates change about $.19 ever oz from 3oz - 13oz with a range of about $1.90 - $3.50.

2) Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes are about $5 if you pay for your postage online and about $5.85 if paid at the post office. There is no weight limit but the items must fit in the envelope without altering it in anyway.

3) You can get a tracking number at the post office, if you decide to pay for postage there, and upload that information into the transaction details through your eBay account and it will act the same if you pay for postage online---it's just more work.

^ Do you have any mailing supplies at your disposal? You don't have to use bubble mailers---some sellers just wrap games in kraft (brown) paper--but is that how you'd want to receive a game from a store?

You could always just have your brother go to the store to get bubble mailers, print the labels at home (if you don't have a scale a typical new/sealed game weighs between 4-6ounces [more if it is a mulitdisc game or includes a map or something in the packaging; With USPS you need to round UP so 4.1oz gets billed at the 5oz rate]) tape the labels to the packaging and then drop them in a USPS drop box (they don't need to be dropped at the post office).

You're going to pay about a $1 per envelope at the post office. If you go to the dollar store you should be able to get 2-4 for a $1 (mine sells in packs of 3 for a $1). But if you ship a lot its better to buy in wholesale where you can get envelopes for between $.16-.$.20 a piece.

What is the difference between Priority Mail and First Class?

Are you using the words bubble mailer and envelope interchangeably?

I'm not sure that my area has a USPS drop box. I'm sure I could look it up though. Is there someone there to charge me? Where do I leave the money?

Do I need to send the game in a game case?

I'm worried that some technical detail "you indicated that the item was 5oz but it was 6oz" will get me to screw this up in some way.

Even if costs a slightly higher amount I think I'd rather have him just go just through the post office/drop box even for the postage since I wouldn't know the exact and weight would like to avoid problems. So (don't hate me for this, I find this stuff oddly tricky) I'd be looking at about $8.50 with everything? I always got the impression that shipping was $4ish.

I don't want to confuse you; At this point I would just suggest going to the post office. 

You can ship the game anyway you'd like but remember... the buyer can leave feedback. As a buyer I'd be a little upset getting a loose disc in an envelope (wouldn't you?)

Bubble mailer is just that; an envelope with bubble padding. 

You are going to need to provide your own packing materials if you ship first class. If you ship flat rate priority then you can use an envelope provided at the post office. It has a strip you can remove to seal it. You can write the address on the envelope by hand.

There isn't much of a difference between first class and priority other then costs and typically priority packages arrive 1-2 days sooner.

First Class = 2-5 business days = up to 13 ounces = ~ $1.90 (3oz lowest rate) ------> ~ $3.50 (13 ounce highest rate). No insurance included.

Priority Flat Rate Envelope = 2-3 business days = ~ $5.85 (post office price; slightly cheaper online); includes $50 worth of insurance

Both methods will include a tracking number. You will need to upload that into that into the sale on eBay.

Again how you package the item is up to you but the buyers will control your future success on eBay. If you ship loose discs and the buyer was expecting a complete game or if you ship a loose disc and it doesn't work because it broke in transit you will fill the repercussions throw bad feedback and low DSR scores. As a new seller it will only take a few transactions like that before eBay blocks you from listing any other items.

You are right that a buyer might be annoyed receiving a loose disc. The game I'm selling doesn't have it's original case (something I'll state in my listing) but I'll make sure it arrives in a case.

What is a "DSR score"? How does it differ from feedback?

I've sold about 20-30 things on ebay (iirc) and getting someone what they want without any pain is satisfying.

Hey, even if the amount ends up being the same for the buyer is it better to list as 'free shipping'? I'm not doing an auction.

Priority Flat Rate is the way I'll go then. The right amount of insurance.

BTW, in case anyone is reading this and wants to try selling, supposedly ebay only allows low level seller to sell 1 game a month. Not sure how they handle 'lots'.

Your advice was well thought out.

I personally just go with free shipping and pay out of pocket at the post office. I don't need the auction money right away anyway as its usually tied up in PayPal for a bit.

So if i was selling a Dualshock 4 controller, whats the best way for me to save? Getting my own box? Very novice in shipping

So if i was selling a Dualshock 4 controller, whats the best way for me to save? Getting my own box? Very novice in shipping
Get a box, but wrap some bubble wrap around the controller for extra protection. Depending on size of box, you may need to add some sort of kraft paper or shipping peanuts to prevent the controller from moving in around the box. That way you prevent it from any damage to the buyer. If shipping with USPS you would have to go with priority shipping, which is around the $5 mark.

As a note for everyone, I would advise to never go parcel mail. Yes it may be the cheapest shipping option, but there is no protection plan associated with it. You might as well cough up the extra buck for first class if it's under 13oz!

GBAstar pretty much summed up what you need to know about the full on details with the other shipping options.

My personal notes on shipping retailers/supplies:

USPS - My go to place to send shipments. The best place to ship out things under 13oz. They also offer online postage (so easy drop-off or for people who hate interactions with other people *cough* me.)

UPS - Used about once. Same as Fedex IMO, but also offer online postage. Nothing wrong with them, just not my preferred place.

FedEx - I think is the most reliable, but I on'y use if sending out rather large objects for a reasonable price. No online postage.

If looking for supplies, USPS carries free envelopes/boxes that are flat rate. It's usually a better deal though if you use your own boxes for packing and would save you sometimes over $10 instead of using the USPS box depending on the size/weight. If you plan on shipping out multiple goods as a seller, ebay is a good place to buy shipping materials. $6 for about 20 envelopes is a killer compared to retail. Shipping Self-Adhesive sheets are also helpful since you don't need to tape them onto the envelope/box and has a less chance of falling off during transition. Buying a scaler would also help out with determining weight and not having to overpay during online checkouts.

I make my rounds at the post office about every other day. At USPS, if you already have a paid label, you can just drop it off into one of the specified collecting boxes if it's under 13oz.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back