GameStop’s New Business is Rare Physical Games

I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this. However, I still don't believe Xenoblade: Chronicles ever received a reprint. Now I've heard all the "alleged" evidence before. I've also seen and researched the anti-evidence of how it debunks the evidence that people think it happened. Not to mention that NeoGaf thread had some people in it who had who purchased Xenoblade from Gamestop and their Nintendo Club voucher didn't work. Also, Gamestop offered $45.00 during a trade promotion for any person's copy of the game who was willing to trade it in. Knowing how playing a game and liking it is 'subjective' it's not hard to believe that enough people who purchased Xenoblade prior didn't exactly enjoy the game itself, or they played it once and felt like the $45.00 trade in credit was worth it. http://mynintendonews.com/2013/02/20/trade-in-xenoblade-at-gamestop-and-get-45/ Also knowing how Gamestop has over 6,627 locations it's not hard for me to believe they might as well received an 'abundance' of copies via trade-in.  My apologies, if I still don't want to join in on the general consensus of things. Like I said, I've heard all the evidence backing up that it might have "happened" it's still not going to change how I feel about it. Unless, there's solid proof from Gamestop saying "Yeah, we reprinted it. We just wanted a piece of the greedy pie".  Now, if were talking about the Metroid Prime Trilogy no longer having it's steel case. Then yeah, I can see how they reprinted that. 

EDIT: Upon further research, and reading the majority of all 17 pages in the NeoGaf thread. I've come to the conclusion that the case each person got varied and the condition of it did as well (This also meant the case logo varied as well). Sometimes, it was pristine, other times it had a few dents . There was even one guy who purchased a copy of the game and got every insert that was in it previously. He also took the time to call other GameStop stores to see if they sold any copies. And, one of the copies they did sell pretty much lacked all of the inserts that person got in their copy. Not to mention if this really was a "reprint" I'm pretty sure you'd see copies of the game also show up on Nintendo's online store for sale as well. Not to mention in the past I've also purchased USED games from Gamestop with DLC and Online Pass vouchers that still worked. There was even one that was supposed to expire in 2012. Point being, not everyone takes the time or cares about using them. Not to mention that other people in the NeoGaf thread also didn't agree with the idea that it was a 'reprint'. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh cool, this might work for me.  I'm guessing by the wording of "older" titles there won't be a complete, with instruction manual, and boxed copy of an Earthbound reproduction at my local Gamestop.

Hopefully not the case with Gameboy Advance titles. Looking at all those overpriced Pokemon GBA games and Ninja Five-O, just for cartridge only. Then again, Nintendo probably wants people to buy GBA games on the Virtual Console.  That and I haven't seen a GBA game in a Gamestop in a long time.

Quick Google searches for the rarest PS3/360/Wii/DS games, doesn't have me running to Gamestop. I'm aware of Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy, but what are some other titles that have gotten the reprint treatment that I missed?

The only older game I regret missing out on is The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. I still have a PS2 but not sure it's working condition and I just don't feel like spending money on a game that old that's probably in rough shape. If that ever was brought back and to be played on the PS3 I'd get it in a heartbeat but doubt it since Capcom has some sort of licensing issue with it and the Legends games last I researched so none have hit the PSN.

[quote name="Reno Takamiya" post="11655421" timestamp="1396235776"]I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this. However, I still don't believe Xenoblade: Chronicles ever received a reprint. Now I've heard all the "alleged" evidence before. I've also seen and researched the anti-evidence of how it debunks the evidence that people think it happened. Not to mention that NeoGaf thread had some people in it who had who purchased Xenoblade from Gamestop and their Nintendo Club voucher didn't work. Also, Gamestop offered $45.00 during a trade promotion for any person's copy of the game who was willing to trade it in. Knowing how playing a game and liking it is 'subjective' it's not hard to believe that enough people who purchased Xenoblade prior didn't exactly enjoy the game itself, or they played it once and felt like the $45.00 trade in credit was worth it. http://mynintendonews.com/2013/02/20/trade-in-xenoblade-at-gamestop-and-get-45/ Also knowing how Gamestop has over 6,627 locations it's not hard for me to believe they might as well received an 'abundance' of copies via trade-in. My apologies, if I still don't want to join in on the general consensus of things. Like I said, I've heard all the evidence backing up that it might have "happened" it's still not going to change how I feel about it. Unless, there's solid proof from Gamestop saying "Yeah, we reprinted it. We just wanted a piece of the greedy pie". Now, if were talking about the Metroid Prime Trilogy no longer having it's steel case. Then yeah, I can see how they reprinted that.

EDIT: Upon further research, and reading the majority of all 17 pages in the NeoGaf thread. I've come to the conclusion that the case each person got varied and the condition of it did as well (This also meant the case logo varied as well). Sometimes, it was pristine, other times it had a few dents . There was even one guy who purchased a copy of the game and got every insert that was in it previously. He also took the time to call other GameStop stores to see if they sold any copies. And, one of the copies they did sell pretty much lacked all of the inserts that person got in their copy. Not to mention if this really was a "reprint" I'm pretty sure you'd see copies of the game also show up on Nintendo's online store for sale as well. Not to mention in the past I've also purchased USED games from Gamestop with DLC and Online Pass vouchers that still worked. There was even one that was supposed to expire in 2012. Point being, not everyone takes the time or cares about using them. Not to mention that other people in the NeoGaf thread also didn't agree with the idea that it was a 'reprint'. [/quote]maybe

The only older game I regret missing out on is The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. I still have a PS2 but not sure it's working condition and I just don't feel like spending money on a game that old that's probably in rough shape. If that ever was brought back and to be played on the PS3 I'd get it in a heartbeat but doubt it since Capcom has some sort of licensing issue with it and the Legends games last I researched so none have hit the PSN.
Lucky for you then, if you have a PS3 (and it sounds like you do), all PS3s play PS1 games. If you find copy, it'll play just fine.

I'm not sure I like the idea of them planning to do a lot of reprints. This plan is great for everyone that wants to play games but it will terrible for game collectors.

This plan is great for everyone that wants to play games but it will terrible for game resellers.
Corrected. Reprints just mean that there will be enough copies for the collectors to add the games to their collections without having to spend an arm and a leg. How much you spend on a game doesn't make you any more or less of a collector.

I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this. However, I still don't believe Xenoblade: Chronicles ever received a reprint. Now I've heard all the "alleged" evidence before. I've also seen and researched the anti-evidence of how it debunks the evidence that people think it happened. Not to mention that NeoGaf thread had some people in it who had who purchased Xenoblade from Gamestop and their Nintendo Club voucher didn't work. Also, Gamestop offered $45.00 during a trade promotion for any person's copy of the game who was willing to trade it in. Knowing how playing a game and liking it is 'subjective' it's not hard to believe that enough people who purchased Xenoblade prior didn't exactly enjoy the game itself, or they played it once and felt like the $45.00 trade in credit was worth it. http://mynintendonews.com/2013/02/20/trade-in-xenoblade-at-gamestop-and-get-45/ Also knowing how Gamestop has over 6,627 locations it's not hard for me to believe they might as well received an 'abundance' of copies via trade-in. My apologies, if I still don't want to join in on the general consensus of things. Like I said, I've heard all the evidence backing up that it might have "happened" it's still not going to change how I feel about it. Unless, there's solid proof from Gamestop saying "Yeah, we reprinted it. We just wanted a piece of the greedy pie". Now, if were talking about the Metroid Prime Trilogy no longer having it's steel case. Then yeah, I can see how they reprinted that.

EDIT: Upon further research, and reading the majority of all 17 pages in the NeoGaf thread. I've come to the conclusion that the case each person got varied and the condition of it did as well (This also meant the case logo varied as well). Sometimes, it was pristine, other times it had a few dents . There was even one guy who purchased a copy of the game and got every insert that was in it previously. He also took the time to call other GameStop stores to see if they sold any copies. And, one of the copies they did sell pretty much lacked all of the inserts that person got in their copy. Not to mention if this really was a "reprint" I'm pretty sure you'd see copies of the game also show up on Nintendo's online store for sale as well. Not to mention in the past I've also purchased USED games from Gamestop with DLC and Online Pass vouchers that still worked. There was even one that was supposed to expire in 2012. Point being, not everyone takes the time or cares about using them. Not to mention that other people in the NeoGaf thread also didn't agree with the idea that it was a 'reprint'.
*Loads Unreal Tournament Flak Cannon*

First of all, the article linked in the OP says GS worked with Nintendo to get it reprinted, but all the other evidence is more than enough. And Prime Trilogy reprint should be all the proof you need since you believe that one. Look at the exact 'new' cases of those, they are the same with new logos. Those few incidents where someone said the Nintendo code didn't work or the case was in bad shape, was in fact from those very few who actually did trade it in, shocking!

It didn't sell out initially and sat on store shelves for 4+ months after release with no one buying if you were to listen to all the people in the "GS selling used Wii game for $90 thread" saying boo-hoo should have bought it back then. Because it did eventually sell out before the price hike.

And finally, the day of the infamous $90 reprint release date, every store near me in a 100 mile radius (EVERY store) all of a sudden went from 0 copies to 10+ copies each. You said 6,627 stores? That's 66k copies out of nowhere. Or a more conservative number would be 5 per store, and that's 33k new copies out of nowhere. But looking at stores now and then combined? I'd say 120k copies out of nowhere.

Since then, the game has gone through a lot of price drops (they can't sell out that reprint order still!) at GS and my stores still have 5+ copies each. I count 29 stores near me with "In stock" and 4 stores with "Low stock". Low usually means 3 or less, right? Pretty amazing since before the reprint 0 stores had any any copies at all way back when.

If you collect games for the purpose having them increase in value then you're on a fools errand. One out of a thousand may double in value 10 years from now but the return vs the time and money makes it pointless.

*Loads Unreal Tournament Flak Cannon*

First of all, the article linked in the OP says GS worked with Nintendo to get it reprinted, but all the other evidence is more than enough. And Prime Trilogy reprint should be all the proof you need since you believe that one. Look at the exact 'new' cases of those, they are the same with new logos. Those few incidents where someone said the Nintendo code didn't work or the case was in bad shape, was in fact from those very few who actually did trade it in, shocking!

It didn't sell out initially and sat on store shelves for 4+ months after release with no one buying if you were to listen to all the people in the "GS selling used Wii game for $90 thread" saying boo-hoo should have bought it back then. Because it did eventually sell out before the price hike.

And finally, the day of the infamous $90 reprint release date, every store near me in a 100 mile radius (EVERY store) all of a sudden went from 0 copies to 10+ copies each. You said 6,627 stores? That's 66k copies out of nowhere. Or a more conservative number would be 5 per store, and that's 33k new copies out of nowhere. But looking at stores now and then combined? I'd say 120k copies out of nowhere.

Since then, the game has gone through a lot of price drops (they can't sell out that reprint order still!) at GS and my stores still have 5+ copies each. I count 29 stores near me with "In stock" and 4 stores with "Low stock". Low usually means 3 or less, right? Pretty amazing since before the reprint 0 stores had any any copies at all way back when.
Where does that leave the Nintendo Online store in all this then? When it had it's first run, copies of the game were on their. Unless both Nintendo and GameStop wanted the reprint to fly under the radar. Wouldn't copies of the game show up on their store as well again?

Also if this reprint was between Nintendo and Gamestop. Wouldn't Nintendo not make a profit off of the sales of each copy since their labeled as used? Unless Nintendo made their profit from GameStop paying, to be allowed to do a reprint. Because normally developers don't make money off used copies.

Its all based on who funds the reprint.  The recent canadian reprint did not get restocked on Nintendo's store either.

Oh cool, this might work for me. I'm guessing by the wording of "older" titles there won't be a complete, with instruction manual, and boxed copy of an Earthbound reproduction at my local Gamestop.

Hopefully not the case with Gameboy Advance titles. Looking at all those overpriced Pokemon GBA games and Ninja Five-O, just for cartridge only. Then again, Nintendo probably wants people to buy GBA games on the Virtual Console. That and I haven't seen a GBA game in a Gamestop in a long time.

Quick Google searches for the rarest PS3/360/Wii/DS games, doesn't have me running to Gamestop. I'm aware of Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy, but what are some other titles that have gotten the reprint treatment that I missed?
GS stopped taking GBA games in trade in spring 2011 and had them cleared out of stores by that Christmas.

I'm all for sealed reprints, sold as new. In a perfect world everyone would be able to acquire a new physical copy of any game they wanted for a reasonable price.

Now the whole "Let's reprint a game but pretend that they're used trade-in copies so we can hike the price up above MSRP" thing is for the birds.

I'm all for sealed reprints, sold as new. In a perfect world everyone would be able to acquire a new physical copy of any game they wanted for a reasonable price.

Now the whole "Let's reprint a game but pretend that they're used trade-in copies so we can hike the price up above MSRP" thing is for the birds.
Unless it's in the agreement, it doesn't make sense to open reprints and sell them as used. MSRP is "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" which means they can price it for whatever they want. It's up to the public to decide whether to pay the premium.

it doesn't make sense to open reprints and sell them as used.
Sure it does. In general the game-buying public expects new copies of in-print games to be sold at MSRP or lower. Certainly not higher. However it's accepted that used copies of out-of-print games will be sold for whatever price the market will bear, even if that could be higher than the original MSRP.

By taking what is essentially an in-print game and pretending like it's a rare, out-of-print one, they can charge whatever they want and avoid the negative reaction from customers.

In general the game-buying public expects new copies of in-print games to be sold at MSRP or lower. Certainly not higher. However it's accepted that used copies of out-of-print games will be sold for whatever price the market will bear, even if that could be higher than the original MSRP.
Actually, it has less to do with the market than it does with the publisher.

For extremely old and out-of-print games, a sealed copy is worth far MORE in the second hand market than a used title. Often several times more. The general public is willing to pony up for older titles that are still in mint condition. That's not where the problem lies.

The problem is with the publisher, and the MSRP. Retailers have legally binding agreements with publishers. They aren't allowed to goose the price above MSRP. This is to avoid having individual retailers manipulating the market through price fixing. But GameStop can get around this limitation by opening the copies of the game, and selling them as used. There are no restrictions on what they sell their used games for, they can settle on whatever price they want.

It's not the negative reaction from customers they're afraid of, it's the legal repercussions. They are using this strategy as a loophole that allows them to prey on and manipulate the second-hand market for further profit. This wouldn't seem so slimy if their extra stock was being sold at a reasonable price.

The problem is with the publisher, and the MSRP. Retailers have legally binding agreements with publishers. They aren't allowed to goose the price above MSRP.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why then don't the publishers do anything about it? If Gamestop had a contractual agreement with Nintendo to sell the Xenoblade reprint for $50, and then they turned around and sold it for $90 anyway, why wouldn't Nintendo sue, or issue a press release condemning the practice, or something?

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why then don't the publishers do anything about it? If Gamestop had a contractual agreement with Nintendo to sell the Xenoblade reprint for $50, and then they turned around and sold it for $90 anyway, why wouldn't Nintendo sue, or issue a press release condemning the practice, or something?
Nintendo has no legal recourse in this case. Once they have removed the shiny plastic wrapping, GameStop can claim that the games in question are no longer new. Moreover, GameStop collaborated with Nintendo to bring Xenoblade to the US in the first place. They are the ONLY retailer that ever sold new copies. Nintendo isn't going to bother them in the slightest over that game in particular. Nintendo wasn't terribly interested in US copies of Xenoblade to begin with. They aren't going to raise a fuss if GameStop plays around with the game they were responsible for releasing here in the first place.

As to the rest of the titles, the titles in question are too old for the publishers to bother. They are still getting paid for the reprints, so they don't mind that. If GameStop is taking advantage of the consumers it isn't really their problem. Gouging gullible consumers on used game pricing doesn't damage the brand of the games themselves. And GameStop has been keeping this kind of practice on the sly. While it is known to anyone curious, they don't advertise the particulars openly. What they are doing is entirely legal, if a bit underhanded. But then GameStop has always turned a profit by taking advantage of the consumer's lack of knowledge.

Forgot to mention in my first post, but I've seen people use their phone to take pics of Nintendo codes, online passes, and dlc voucher in-store and people on these forums sometimes brag about it. Gamestop doesn't usually take out manuals/slips to behind the counter for used games. It's not just companies that act disgusting.

Where does that leave the Nintendo Online store in all this then? When it had it's first run, copies of the game were on their. Unless both Nintendo and GameStop wanted the reprint to fly under the radar. Wouldn't copies of the game show up on their store as well again?

Also if this reprint was between Nintendo and Gamestop. Wouldn't Nintendo not make a profit off of the sales of each copy since their labeled as used? Unless Nintendo made their profit from GameStop paying, to be allowed to do a reprint. Because normally developers don't make money off used copies.
Gamestop fronted all the money for the reprint, thus Nintendo doesn't get any copies. Nintendo didn't want to reprint, heck they didn't even want to localize/publish (well it was already localized for EU, they didn't do anything new for NA version) in the first place. Armour, colour, etc.

Nintendo got their money up front for the reprint, they don't care what Gamestop does with it, they've been paid.

Its all based on who funds the reprint. The recent canadian reprint did not get restocked on Nintendo's store either.
Another thing, I do remember this game price hiking to $60 used before the $90 reprints and thinking 'What the hell?'. That must have been during the $45 trade in promo. They ran out of copies so they offered incentive to get people to trade in so they could milk a few bucks when they saw the ebay demand. That is before they went for the full on reprint.

Btw, it's $50 used now before discounts or pro membership is $45 if anyone was still interested.

EDIT: Didn't want to double post but I just searched all over Nintendo's website and I can't find any way to even buy Super Mario 3D World for the WiiU, one of their newest/best games out. I see eShop stuff, but no physical. Just a page that links to OTHER retailers like Walmart, Amazon, Kmart, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, and ToysRus. Yeah...Nintendo doesn't really sell physical games on their site as far as I can see.

EDIT2: I realized 3D World is a few months old, so I checked Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze WiiU instead, same deal, no way to buy the physical copy.

Btw, it's $50 used now before discounts or pro membership is $45 if anyone was still interested.

I picked up a copy of Xenoblade today. I've just now started the game and I'm not exactly sold on it like I was when I first played The Last Story. When I played Last Story I was interested in it from the get-go. The Battle System is certainly interesting in Xenoblade but I'd have to say I liked Last Story's better. However, I am used to it now but it did take awhile. I've always been a fan of Real-Time battle systems or turn based like in Tales of games or Persona 3 & 4.

I'm also not exactly sold on the voice acting department on some of the characters like Reyn or Shulk. Dickson, Dunban and Fiora are very good though. It's pretty nice that there's different weapons and armor for the characters though and how they show up depicted differently. Sometimes most of the armor and weapons are just different color schemes which is a shame. Shulk would be pretty good if he went into a running long-jump competition. I'm pretty sure it's an all European cast (I could be wrong) when it comes to the voice acting. And, I know Shulk is voiced by a British actor but I'm really hoping that their all not British. Because Reyn and Shulk sound very similar. (Nothing against British people I just like a little variation in accents from Europe) Here's hoping that the other characters in the game have the variation I'm looking for.

It's pretty nice for a Wii game to incorporate fast traveling and checkpoints. I also like how if your party dies there isn't a game over screen and losing hours upon hours of playtime and having to watch a scene all over again. Obviously I'll play more of Xenoblade, these were just my first impressions of the first two or three hours of the game. Hopefully the game engross's me like The Last Story did. By the way, is there a way to switch from auto-attack or is that permanently in place?

EDIT: It's also pretty cool that when you find a Landmark you recieve Experience and other goodies. However I'm not a fan of how it stops me from walking every few feet before I find another one in a city. It's nice that they give out experience for finding it, but I really hope I don't gain levels fast because of it. Unless battling monsters gives you less experience over finding landmarks.

It also seems like the side quests might be full of "Get me 10 of this" or "Go kill 2 of these so I can feel better". Except it's pretty nice that you don't have to run back and forth to the quest giver so there is that. I don't know about others but I don't think that this game deserves all the "hype" it got. Although most of it probably came from fans.

EDIT 2: I've even read that it takes at least 15 hours from a review for the game to get better. That just sounds a bit too long even by RPG standards. I do however see where all the "graphics" went and that's to give the characters washboard abs or the females perfect looking bodies when their not wearing any armor. Or at least the "Swimming Gel" armor. Some of the characters eyes look like they've been painted on .

GS stopped taking GBA games in trade in spring 2011 and had them cleared out of stores by that Christmas.
Oh yeah, I knew about that.
I was just having some wishful thinking that the reprints would go as far back as GBA games.
When, more than likely, will probably consist of mostly Wii/PS3/360 titles.

A Wii game, I hope gets reprinted is Super Mario All-Stars. I suppose I can live without the CD soundtrack/sampler and the Mario history book if need be.

I'm all for reprints, although I can't see myself paying $50 for a Wii game at this point in time. $30 to $40 max.

*Stares at the used prices of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on Gamestop and Amazon's pages.

A Wii game, I hope gets reprinted is Super Mario All-Stars. I suppose I can live without the CD soundtrack/sampler and the Mario history book if need be.
It's one of the big challenges of video game collecting. You need to figure out when the best time to get a game is going to be. Normally, you can wait a year or two on most games until they hit the "sweet-spot" for pricing. But occasionally you'll run across an anomaly. I picked up XenoBlade Chronicles and Super Mario All-Stars Wii when they first came out. I've been doing this long enough that I've learned which games are most likely to never drop in price. It doesn't happen often, but there are a few games that really are best to get at full price.

The other 95% of cases usually involve waiting a year to a year and a half, and picking the title up for $20 or less. I have a buddy who got a copy of Suikoden II back in the day for $15, brand new. He knew back then that it was a game worth having. These days it regularly goes for more than $100, used. I bought a copy of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for my brother for $15. That was the sweet spot where it's lack of popularity and soft sales saw it getting cleared out at a Circuit City. I didn't know at the time that it would be costly later, I got it because my brother liked that series.

A big frustration for me was that there were any number of good deals I used to see when I was younger, but I couldn't afford any of them at the time. I didn't start collecting in earnest until I had a proper level of disposable income. While my decision to collect in that fashion was fiscally responsible, it was also a tad galling. There were any number of good deals I had to pass on.

I bought Suikoden II from Circuit City for $20. I was at the register with a friend, saw it, had them verify the price and bought it. I bought it cuz I was into RPGs at the time (FFVII) and bought most anything I could find but didn't know about it's popularity and rarity. It's still factory sealed. I bought so many games back then I didn't have time to play them.

Why is everybody assuming this is for PS1 and earlier games? Who knows if Sega still has the ability to manufacture cartridges and no way Nintendo is not going to waste money making expensive cartridges that will just cannibalize its online shop.

I predict the oldest these reprints will be for GameCube/PlayStation 2/Xbox.

It's one of the big challenges of video game collecting. You need to figure out when the best time to get a game is going to be. Normally, you can wait a year or two on most games until they hit the "sweet-spot" for pricing. But occasionally you'll run across an anomaly. I picked up XenoBlade Chronicles and Super Mario All-Stars Wii when they first came out. I've been doing this long enough that I've learned which games are most likely to never drop in price. It doesn't happen often, but there are a few games that really are best to get at full price.

The other 95% of cases usually involve waiting a year to a year and a half, and picking the title up for $20 or less. I have a buddy who got a copy of Suikoden II back in the day for $15, brand new. He knew back then that it was a game worth having. These days it regularly goes for more than $100, used. I bought a copy of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for my brother for $15. That was the sweet spot where it's lack of popularity and soft sales saw it getting cleared out at a Circuit City. I didn't know at the time that it would be costly later, I got it because my brother liked that series.

A big frustration for me was that there were any number of good deals I used to see when I was younger, but I couldn't afford any of them at the time. I didn't start collecting in earnest until I had a proper level of disposable income. While my decision to collect in that fashion was fiscally responsible, it was also a tad galling. There were any number of good deals I had to pass on.
I figured Nintendo would have slapped the "Nintendo Selects" sticker on Mario All-Stars by now. Maybe removing the CD/artbook, to keep the collector's from raging.

I still can't figure out when and if a game will be rare. I also figured Nintendo would have had Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem reprinted to at least be sold on their website as new titles.

I don't consider myself a collector since nothing in my collection is really rare. (Unless you consider cart only Star Craft 64, along with a complete Harvest Moon 64 as rare. Maybe Scooby Doo Mystery for the Sega Genesis and a former rental version of Snow Brothers on the NES.)

Forgot to mention in my first post, but I've seen people use their phone to take pics of Nintendo codes, online passes, and dlc voucher in-store and people on these forums sometimes brag about it. Gamestop doesn't usually take out manuals/slips to behind the counter for used games. It's not just companies that act disgusting.

py.
This is the reason I will not buy new games at gamestop with my giftcards there.

The gamestops by me open their new games. I learned this when I was trying to use my giftcards there for a wii u game and took up the box for a sealed copy and was told they had none because of some policy. when I told the girl I didn't want the game anymore because someone could have just used the code already she looked at me like I was stupid (she even mumbled something about me being crazy :/)

I'm sorry, but nintendo games I pretty much buy new because I use the points (and to support them)

This is the reason I will not buy new games at gamestop with my giftcards there.

The gamestops by me open their new games. I learned this when I was trying to use my giftcards there for a wii u game and took up the box for a sealed copy and was told they had none because of some policy. when I told the girl I didn't want the game anymore because someone could have just used the code already she looked at me like I was stupid (she even mumbled something about me being crazy :/)

I'm sorry, but Nintendo games I pretty much buy new because I use the points (and to support them)
I'd say it's a gamble. I've yet to get a voucher being used via taking a picture or just because someone traded in the game with it still in there. I've purchased many of used games and I think every game I did purchase had a voucher for DLC or an Online Pass which all worked. I was actually surprised by the Resistance 2 online pass working since I was told it would expire at the end of 2012 and I think It was either later 2013 or early 2014 when I bought it.

I've only ever used my vouchers for my PS3 though. I also have a Wii and Xbox 360 but I lost interest in Club Nintendo awhile ago. Plus I'm not a big fan of paying for Xbox Live mainly because everything I already pay a subscription for is behind the paywall. (Netflix, Hulu etc.) Not to mention I got my Xbox 360 when the Arcade line was announced to be obsolete. So I never ended up getting a hard drive for it or a Microsoft router or took the time to connect so it had a "wired" connection.

I spent many a year playing my Xbox 360 and Wii. Since then, I've lost interest and I mainly got a PS3 because of the JRPG's that both of the other two consoles were lacking. I also tried some of the exclusives that the PS3 has as well. So all around I got a great gaming experience and I plan on getting all three next-gen consoles when their in my price range and have more than 5 games I'm interested in.

(I've actually had my own grievance with Gamestop. I purchased at least 7 games via their website and only about 1 of them worked) I was pretty disappointed that time. I've still yet to find a place like GameStop that has the kind of return policy they have though. Although my local Gamestop actually has friendly people. So that's a good thing.

I'm all for reprints, sealed of unsealed. I doubt I'd be able to afford rare games anyways. Rare video games will still be rare even if they release re-prints, so I think it's win-win for everyone. 

I wish that Gamestop would STOP putting their stickers on the actual game cases.  It looks horrible.  I wish GS would do their part to make used games look more presentable.  

If this were true, why not start with NES world championships lol.... But seriously... I have my doubts that this would ever happen... But who knows, Gamestop stock is in rough shape and people in business suits get desperate when money's floating around... Bad bad bad idea IMHO.

The problem is with the publisher, and the MSRP. Retailers have legally binding agreements with publishers. They aren't allowed to goose the price above MSRP.
Dude... this isn't correct. What you're suggesting is price fixing, which is totally illegal in the US.

Besides, remember the DS days when games had an MSRP of $29.99 and GameStop had the "Nintendo Tax" on first party titles, selling them at $34.99?

It was a reprint, period. If you deny it at this point then you have serious problems.

It was a reprint, period. If you deny it at this point then you have serious problems.
Seeing as how I posted that 19 days ago, and how Kazanganthi already answered it. I'm no longer questioning that it happened. Not to mention how I posted saying I picked up myself, my own copy of the game.

Seeing as how I posted that 19 days ago, and how Kazanganthi already answered it. I'm no longer questioning that it happened. Not to mention how I posted saying I picked myself up my own copy of the game. Anyways, I'm not longer questioning it.
Ok, but that news was confirmed last summer, so you were still way late compared to everyone else on the net.

Ok, but that news was confirmed last summer, so you were still way late compared to everyone else on the net.
Not actually late. I was here on the site discussing if it happened in the forums. There was even a whole topic dedicated to it that I was in. (Which I can't seem to find anymore because it's now in the depths). Which I'm pretty sure happened around the same time-frame.

If he/she was or wasn't, does it really matter? Everyone has their own opinion and most do not agree all the time, can't we all just be grown up about it instead of resorting to name calling or insulting? Ie. your "you have problems" comment?

*sings kumbaya*

If he/she was or wasn't, does it really matter? Everyone has their own opinion and most do not agree all the time, can't we all just be grown up about it instead of resorting to name calling or insulting? Ie. your "you have problems" comment?

*sings kumbaya*
Well, it's based off of a fact and not an opinion. If someone's going to try to discredit something that has been confirmed nearly a year ago then they're going to get called out on it.

I apologize if I hurt Reno's feelings.

Last edited:
Well, it's based off of a fact and not an opinion. If someone's going to try to discredit something that has been confirmed nearly a year ago then they're going to get called out on it.

I apologize if I hurt Reno's feelings.
No feelings were hurt. However, I don't see how that comment was needed seeing as how the subject was already answered 19 days ago. Which begs the question, if you even read through the whole topic, and saw the posts by Kazanganthi, or if you just skimmed right on through them. Usually, if a person has a good enough rebuttal the other person doesn't reply back with another. (Talking about Kazanganthi's posts)

Even though I loathe Gamestop's shady business practices with their pricing of the Xenoblade and Metroid Prime reprints, I'm happy that I managed to pick them up at a reasonable price during Black Friday. If this means rarer games will become a little more affordable and available, I don't have a major problem with this new business focus ; I'll just wait till they hit a decent price. I'm all for anything to combat scalpers, even though I know Gamestop may not be much better. At least you can expect price drops in this case.

No feelings were hurt. However, I don't see how that comment was needed seeing as how the subject was already answered 19 days ago. Which begs the question, if you even read through the whole topic, and saw the posts by Kazanganthi, or if you just skimmed right on through them. Usually, if a person has a good enough rebuttal the other person doesn't reply back with another. (Talking about Kazanganthi's posts)
I saw his posts, but since I didn't see a confirmation from you acknowledging his point I figured you still believed that they weren't reprints.

We discussed this topic on here heavily nearly a year ago.

I saw his posts, but since I didn't see a confirmation from you acknowledging his point I figured you still believed that they weren't reprints.

Which is why I also previously said this a few posts up, where I was also on the site for that discussion.

Not actually late. I was here on the site discussing it happening in the forums. There was even a whole topic dedicated to it that I was in. (Which I can't seem to find anymore because it's now in the depths). Which I'm pretty sure happened around the same time-frame.

Are there really people still claiming that these were NOT reprinted?

It's just an elaborate hoax I guess... like dinosaur fossils.

bread's done
Back