Dare I bring up the Martin-Zimmerman event again? OK, Fine

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

I'm still stuck on the "work for welfare" part because that would mean expanding the government by providing MORE government jobs...jobs that would require a minimum wage and more than likely displace full-time workers, which would then also be reliant on the government for similar programs that he's railing against. But hey, COMMON SENSE, amirite?

You assume minimum wage. I am against forced minimum wage. The program I detail would have litter pickup, painting and maintenance of public buildings, etc as requirements to receive welfare. No increase in costs and no one sitting around their house just collecting a check. It would also create an incentive to get off welfare.

#92 egofed

egofed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:30 AM

It's true, it doesn't make sense, and like many of those proposals, is shortsighted and neglects to consider how interconnected 20 other programs, departments, and events are. Then the forced sterilization/birth control? Jesus, the Nazis called, and they want ego to chill. I don't think anybody is happy that lazy people who are the face of the stereotype get free shit, but they are also the vast minority. I'd like to see defense, foreign aid, and some forms of personal and corporate welfare tightened up, but it's kind of like the mess of a healthcare system we have. I don't see a way to fix 2-3 things, without breaking a dozen more.  

While we're on the topic of rants, I have a brilliant idea-federal taxed campaign contributions. Let people and corporations donate as much as they want, but the candidate needs to declare it, and pay 20% tax, with funds earmarked to pay down the debt. You want to donate $10M to the candidate of your choice? OK, thanks for the $5M in debt relief.

On the topic of great ideas, you know what also makes sense? Buying my children's book. Copies still available. Act now.

We indeed do have too many wasteful programs. Simplify, simplify, simplify. I also decry foreign aid, military spending at such a stupid amount, and corporate welfare. Check my post history and you will verify this fact. The only reason that we argue about welfare reform is because the regulars agree with all the other cuts. O:) Why debate something we all agree on?

I am against a minimum wage. Welfare programs allow corporations to pay less BECAUSE they know that tax payers will make up the difference. Kind of like gov't backed college loans inadvertently upping tuitions, business sees a way to cut its bottom line and goes for it. We should allow customers to dictate what businesses succeed. If business declines due to a boycott over lower wages, then a rational, viable business will raise wages to bring customers back, foregoing any gov't involvement. We do not realize the power that consumers could possess, instead we seek gov't regulation over the free market to "solve" our problems. Maybe I am too na├»ve here and people would rather save a buck than band together and boycott for better pay. I also think that the standard of living is way above what is necessary for comfortable survival. You guys will have a field day with that comment. :wave:

Nazi? Really? Because I seek a way of ending poverty by making sure people who don't have the resources to live don't procreate? Are you aware that the population of Ethiopia has almost doubled since 1990 although almost its whole nourishment is dependent on foreign aid? Does that make sense?

I also bought your book. It is shit. O:)

#93 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

You assume minimum wage. I am against forced minimum wage. The program I detail would have litter pickup, painting and maintenance of public buildings, etc as requirements to receive welfare. No increase in costs and no one sitting around their house just collecting a check. It would also create an incentive to get off welfare.

You're still taking away formerly paid jobs, putting those people out of work and on the road to needing government assistance. You're also glossing over a wealth of other potential problems, who pays if they're injured, who gets the benefit of this indentured servitude cause there's only so many public works projects to be done what happens when purely public works projects run out, how much time do they have to put in to get their benefits, if they're spending 40 hours working for their assistance when will they have time to attend interviews and fill out applications, so on and so forth.

#94 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:17 AM

I don't think it's going to put many folks out of jobs. A) these folks will need supervisors and B) for the most part, I assume, ego's talking about stuff like picking up litter from the side of the road. Planting flowers and painting benches in the parks. Good-works projects that are generally neglected or done by volunteers.

I don't foresee a time anywhere in the near future where we run out of trash that needs picked up off the side of the road by someone, somewhere.

I don't see it being a full-time job, but even if it were, I've worked with single parents who work full time and are taking night classes. Filling out job applications and interviewing isn't asking too much.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#95 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

I also bought your book. It is shit. O:)

Well played :D  You should buy a copy though. The kids will love it, and if you've never seen Sparky the Fire Dog read a book about poop, then in my opinion, you've never lived.

#96 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

Numbers ego. Numbers, quantifying costs and savings.
wahhhhh noone helped me so they must not help anyone. - knoell

#97 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Also, has ego never taken a history class? Governments have tried eugenics, make work programs and having no minimum wages before. It wasn't like it made things better.
wahhhhh noone helped me so they must not help anyone. - knoell

#98 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

But he means it *sincerely*, so that's the difference here.

Posted Image