RBI Baseball 14 - XBOX gets Baseball

For a $20 arcade title it might be worth it if you are a big baseball fan. I'm curious how it will play on X1. I can live without online multiplayer but the game looks a bit...underdeveloped. Guess I'll watch some videos and read some more reviews.

I gotta agree with you ColFantastic that it looks a bit underdeveloped. It looks like a N64 game honestly, but if I needed a baseball fix and didn't have a Playstation 3 or 4, I probably would think it might be worth $20.

I hate playing online in sports games. Most people do stupid stuff in games or take advantage of glitches. So no online play is not issue for me. But I have the show 14 so I doudt I play this.

Wow...I haven't seen anything for this game since they announced it...and I couldn't be more disappointed. I can't believe they tried to actually make it look like a real baseball game. If this were just on Xbox, maybe I could understand...but being on PS3/PS4 as well...people have literally no reason to buy it over there, as they have a game that does the same thing...just a million times better.

They should have followed in the footsteps of Power Pros (and really, the Tecmo Bowl remake) and just used an updated classic RBI Baseball graphical style. I don't want to see 3D modeled players at all if they're just going to look terrible. And no online multiplayer is so stupid. Me and several of my friends were looking forward to this as a game we could play together or maybe even do a league for.

Seriously...it seems like every decision they've made with this game has made it less unique and/or desirable. What a waste of time, man.

AND they want $20 for it? GTFO!

I have a PS4 also, so I'll be getting the SHOW for sure; however, I have a few friends on the XBOX and it would've been nice to pick up and play some baseball with them.  No online, and $20....nope.

All that they to do was port it with a little upscale graphic changes and put online in there. I'd never buy this.

All that they to do was port it with a little upscale graphic changes and put online in there. I'd never buy this.
Exactly. I have no idea how they could miss the mark so badly. People didn't want an even shittier version of 2K baseball. They wanted RBI Baseball to look, sound, and feel like RBI Baseball. I would have been thrilled to have an "HD Remake" of the original NES game with updated rosters and online play. It would have been unique and obviously not trying to compete with The Show. This just loks like a poorly designed game.

I won't knock it until I try it, it could have really addictive gameplay.  Graphics don't look too bad if it's trying to be some throwback.  If they made blocky 8-bit style characters, people would probably take it less seriously.  But maybe it's just a case of somebody buying up the license to the name and slapping it on an amateur attempt or garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the trial, the gameplay is solid. I don't mind the graphics either, it reminds me of Ken Griffey Baseball on the SNES. My problem is that there is no way it's worth $20. No stats, no online, and just a single season? C'mon.

I tried the trial, the gameplay is solid. I don't mind the graphics either, it reminds me of Ken Griffey Baseball on the SNES. My problem is that there is no way it's worth $20. No stats, no online, and just a single season? C'mon.
Griffey on SNES was the shit. Bring that back with online and I'm all over it.
See, there's an interesting point...shouldn't RBI Baseball be reminding you of RBI Baseball? lol. Not a different game with a completely different legacy? I personally still wish they had gone the Tecmo Bowl route and just cleaned up the classic graphics...or even make it switchable like Tecmo Bowl, Monkey Island, etc.

But yeah...if they're not going to put in the effort to have multiplayer, stats, or more than one season, it doesn't seem like a whole lot of thought was given to this game. I'm sure it was partially motivated by the fact that there's no other baseball game on Microsoft consoles. They probably figured there would be a lot of automatic sales there.

I was intrigued when I heard this game was being made, but I didn't get my hopes up that it would be very good.  I tried the demo, and I guess it's pretty much what I expected- not great but not completely terrible for what it is.  No online play isn't a huge deal to me; I was thinking it might be a more accessible baseball game that I could maybe get my non-sports fan son to play with me once in a while.

If it came out at $10, I probably would have bought it.  At $15, I might have considered it, but would have waited.  For $20, though?  No way in hell.

I was watching it on Twitch and the kid playing said online play should happen by end of summer.

I will say, it looked like a pretty good recreation of the game.

By the end of summer...when baseball season is nearing its close and the value of the game should be dropping. I would wait on word of RBI Baseball 15 before jumping on this. If they didn't have a plan for a yearly installment, why put a 14 after the title?

bread's done
Back