Wu-Tang to Release Just One Copy of Secret Album

GuyWithGun

CAGiversary!

Like the work of a master Impressionist, it will truly be one-of-a-kind—in lieu of a traditional major label or independent launch, the iconic hip-hop collective will make and sell just one copy of the album. And similar to a Monet or a Degas, the price tag will be a multimillion-dollar figure.

“We’re about to sell an album like nobody else sold it before,” says Robert “RZA” Diggs, the first Wu-Tang member to speak on record about Once Upon A Time In Shaolin, in an exclusive interview with FORBES. “We’re about to put out a piece of art like nobody else has done in the history of [modern] music. We’re making a single-sale collector’s item. This is like somebody having the scepter of an Egyptian king.”

Wu-Tang’s aim is to use the album as a springboard for the reconsideration of music as art, hoping the approach will help restore it to a place alongside great visual works–and create a shift in the music business, not to mention earn some cash, in the process.

Wu-Tang’s aim is to use the album as a springboard for the reconsideration of music as art, hoping the approach will help restore it to a place alongside great visual works–and create a shift in the music business, not to mention earn some cash, in the process.

Once the album completes its excursion, Wu-Tang will make it available for purchase for a price “in the millions.” Suitors could include brands willing to shell out for cool points and free publicity or major record labels hoping to launch the album through the usual channels (they’re used to paying top acts seven-figure advances).

There’s also the possibility that a wealthy private citizen could buy it and either keep the album or release it to the public for free in the name of democratizing a cultural artifact.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2014/03/26/why-wu-tang-will-release-just-one-copy-of-its-secret-album/

I became less intrigued when I read that record labels were going to be able to buy it and release it if they wanted.

Apparently they will be touring museums with the album (estimated cost of $30-50). Security would check people for recording devices and have high security, and you will only be able to listen to it through headphones.

Whoever buys it will definitely be hardcore as I don't think there's much of a demand for them anymore. At least in the states they aren't as big as they used to be. Revered but that's about it since they are hardly a very active group anymore.

Yeah. I read an article where rza was talking about receiving a 2million dollar offer. If nipsey hussle can pull off a hundred dollar CD, I'm pretty sure WU can do the same. I still listen to old wu albums. I was really disappointed with that 8 diagrams album though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious if this concept will work at all, and if it would work better with a more popular/active band.

Surprised everyone keeps mentioning how little popularity they have left, which is really short-changing them. Hip-hop legends that still sell out shows. They just haven't made albums as it's tough to get 8 guys on the same page.

8 Diagrams did suck but Ghost & Rae have been putting out great albums for the last ten years.

People have come up with some interesing ways to promote their music in the last few years...but this is kind of stupid.

Ghost and rae always put out solid releases..also killah priest has been dropping solid albums...I still bump heavy mental til this day

The most underrated Wu album is the first solo from Masta Killah. Came out like 10 years after the first Wu album but is the same grimey/hungry style.

bread's done
Back