May vacation ideas ?

Laneroo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
84 (100%)
I'm graduating mid-May, so I'm looking for somewhere to vacation for a week during the last two weeks of May. I'll be flying out of PHL but I have no idea where to go..

Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, and Yucatan Mexico were up in the air.

Has anyone personally been to these destinations?

Or are there any other places you guys recommend for a vacation?

EDIT: I've been to most of the states along the East Coast, and have already visited Toronto twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what you want your vacation to be. Do you want family, do you want chill, or do you want all out spring break madness?

Depends what you want your vacation to be. Do you want family, do you want chill, or do you want all out spring break madness?
I'm down for anything, but it's just going to be me and the boyfriend.

I wanted to go to South Africa but that's way too expensive.

So I'm thinking Stateside or Mexico or Canada, since we'll be vacationing in Vietnam in the winter.

Mexico is a big place.

I've been to sf, vancouver and seattle.  All three are expensive.   Seattle is ok.  SF and Vancouver are spectacular.  

Mexico is a big place.

I've been to sf, vancouver and seattle. All three are expensive. Seattle is ok. SF and Vancouver are spectacular.
I should've clarified when I said Mexico, I meant like.. Yucatan, so like Chichen Itza and Merida.

What did you do in Vancouver ? I looked it up and it just seemed like there wasn't much to do, but who knows.

If planning on Canada I'd say opt for Toronto or Montreal areas over Vancouver. I've been to all 3 and while Vancouver was perfectly nice, there really was less do to there I think, unless visiting friends or family you'd have a hard time filling out a whole week let alone 2. I have zero interest in going to Mexico personally so I don't have much real knowledge but I would think there's also not too much to do in Yucatan unless you really dig nature or Mayan/Spanish history & architecture. Seattle is pretty nice though. Lots to do, but kind of isolated though you could also spend some of the 2 weeks in another pacific northwest city like Portland. Idaho has some nice nature and parks to take in as well.

I always thought It would fun to try out Hawaii or even the Southern California coast mainly just because I've never been though. I did have a really nice extended May vacation on the Gulf coast awhile back. Started with 5 nights in New Orleans, then hit up Gulf Shores, AL, Biloxi, and Panama City Beach over the next couple weeks before heading home.

If planning on Canada I'd say opt for Toronto or Montreal areas over Vancouver. I've been to all 3 and while Vancouver was perfectly nice, there really was less do to there I think, unless visiting friends or family you'd have a hard time filling out a whole week let alone 2. I have zero interest in going to Mexico personally so I don't have much real knowledge but I would think there's also not too much to do in Yucatan unless you really dig nature or Mayan/Spanish history & architecture. Seattle is pretty nice though. Lots to do, but kind of isolated though you could also spend some of the 2 weeks in another pacific northwest city like Portland. Idaho has some nice nature and parks to take in as well.

I always thought It would fun to try out Hawaii or even the Southern California coast mainly just because I've never been though. I did have a really nice extended May vacation on the Gulf coast awhile back. Started with 5 nights in New Orleans, then hit up Gulf Shores, AL, Biloxi, and Panama City Beach over the next couple weeks before heading home.
!!! Someone to confirm what I thought about Vancouver--Thank you.

I hear that it's really beautiful and all that jazz but when I looked up Tripadvisor, I had this feeling I might get bored trying to find things to do for a whole week.

My boyfriend's sister lives out in Hawaii but she's on a small island, so it would cost like.. $300 pp extra just to get to that island.

I've also been to Toronto twice now, but thank you for the suggestions.

I haven't been to the areas you want to go to in Mexico (I've only been to Ensenada and Guadalajara), but whenever I go I always have fun and relax.

I would probably go to San Francisco. You'll be able to both relax and have fun should you two do so and there is a lot to see (fishermans warf, China town, etc)

If you do Mexico, I would probably do a beach area, like Cancun. There will be more to do in these areas because of tourists

I ended up booking for Vancouver! I was really leaning towards SF, but other people convinced me otherwise.

So thank you guys for all your suggestions.

I ended up booking for Vancouver! I was really leaning towards SF, but other people convinced me otherwise.

So thank you guys for all your suggestions.
Vancouver after all eh... I just went there a couple years ago so I'll toss out some suggstions...

Food- Enjoy the seafood if it's your thing because it's awesome. Also they have a really big Asian culture and population there and probably some of the best Asian cuisine in all of North America.

Shopping- If it's your thing or going with someone who enjoy's it you have to go to Robson Street.

Wreck Beach - This might be a shade too cold in May but it's one fo the nicest and most scenic beaches in the Western part of Canada. Fair warning that is in fact a clothing optional beach though and probably has some "interesting" characters. So one good thing about it being cold in May there's far less chance of seeing some fat 75 year old dude wearing nothing but sandals...

Harrison Hot Springs - A beautiful locale mostly on the water, can easily spend most of a day there.

TV shows - They actually film alot of TV shows in Vancouver. I doubt it's filming season now but you never know...

Victoria- Actually the capital but is another nice place on the outer edge. Beacon Hill Park is super nice.

Sunshine Coast - If you like the outdoors this place if awesome. Has cool beaches and great hiking trails both through the woods and along the actual cost. I'm pretty sure you can only get there by ferry though. At least I did.

Vancouver after all eh... I just went there a couple years ago so I'll toss out some suggstions...

Food- Enjoy the seafood if it's your thing because it's awesome. Also they have a really big Asian culture and population there and probably some of the best Asian cuisine in all of North America.

Shopping- If it's your thing or going with someone who enjoy's it you have to go to Robson Street.

Wreck Beach - This might be a shade too cold in May but it's one fo the nicest and most scenic beaches in the Western part of Canada. Fair warning that is in fact a clothing optional beach though and probably has some "interesting" characters. So one good thing about it being cold in May there's far less chance of seeing some fat 75 year old dude wearing nothing but sandals...

Harrison Hot Springs - A beautiful locale mostly on the water, can easily spend most of a day there.

TV shows - They actually film alot of TV shows in Vancouver. I doubt it's filming season now but you never know...

Victoria- Actually the capital but is another nice place on the outer edge. Beacon Hill Park is super nice.

Sunshine Coast - If you like the outdoors this place if awesome. Has cool beaches and great hiking trails both through the woods and along the actual cost. I'm pretty sure you can only get there by ferry though. At least I did.
I really appreciate this ! I knew some people who lived in Vancouver and they didn't really suggest anything for me.

So thank you so much ! I'll be sure to look into some of these places :)

I would've voted for Vegas. :lol:

"Free" booze, world-class restaurants, shopping, nightclubs, and tons of shows.

I can't wait to go back in maybe...19 years? :rofl:

Having my first kid next month. I figure if I have two, hopefully I can trust the 18 year old to baby sit...hopefully... ;)
Aaaaah

Ok

Congrats!

I just had my first in January :)

Changes your life so much, all good though <3

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but buy your girl a doughnut pillow. I didn't find out about it til after I no longer needed it, but it would have helped me tremendously as it killed me to sit on anything

Aaaaah

Ok

Congrats!

I just had my first in January :)

Changes your life so much, all good though <3

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but buy your girl a doughnut pillow. I didn't find out about it til after I no longer needed it, but it would have helped me tremendously as it killed me to sit on anything
Thanks for the tip!

bread's done
Back