Mario Kart 7, SM3DLand, NSMB2, AC:NL, DKCR3D @ $30 MSRP starting April 22 (new Player's Choice 3DS line?)

donny2112

CAGiversary!
Last edited by a moderator:
I was about to get Kart, 3D Land and DKC Returns B2G1 preowned from Best Buy. Do we think that the preowned prices will also drop on the 22nd?

Just because I hate the pricing, $30?! THATS IT?! Stores have it at that price once in a while. I was hoping for $19.99 cuz I'd pick up donkey kong for sure.

Sorry for the tiny rant.

3DS game prices are one of the biggest reasons I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a 3DS XL.  I'm used to playing less than $10 for most of my PS3 and Xbox 360 games, 3DS games never hit $10.

Yep, low price changes just a fact of life for a Nintendo fan. As someone who got a 3DS recently I'm happy to see these price drops at all, as I only own Animal Crossing in that list.

Not completely current but close enough and no chance it's recovered yet.

http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php

Year No. of Households Nominal $ Inflation Adjusted $

2003 112,000,000 $42,560 $54,079

2012 122,459,000 $50,099 $51,017
Interesting (and depressing) stats.

How's Animal Crossing: New Leaf? I hear it's highly addictive, but I'm not familiar with the gameplay. Is it like Sims?

Animal Crossing might be compared to a Sims-lite. Not as much micro-management and more restrictions about what all can be done, but still very fun in its own right. If digging for fossils, fishing, and bug-hunting sound like it could be fun, it'll be worth picking up, I think. :)

$20 in 2003 is equal to $25.52 in 2014. Nintendo is making out like a bandit on this "budget" line!
Cartridges are more expensive than disks. *mumbles about digital should then be cheaper*

Animal Crossing might be compared to a Sims-lite. Not as much micro-management and more restrictions about what all can be done, but still very fun in its own right. If digging for fossils, fishing, and bug-hunting sound like it could be fun, it'll be worth picking up, I think. :)
If its your first Animal Crossing game this one is probably the best one to get into. If you're sick of the series there are enough changes that it might be worth picking up. You might need to research that one. I bought it but after a month I got really depressed in my life and dropped it.

Great news. Now i can wait till they go on sale for $19.99. Or one of the yearly Buy 2 get 1 Free sales. 

3DS game prices are one of the biggest reasons I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a 3DS XL. I'm used to playing less than $10 for most of my PS3 and Xbox 360 games, 3DS games never hit $10.
Considering a lot of games on the 3DS tend to be developed by Nintendo, it shouldn't be a surprise that they have price drops at all, since Nintendo is notorious with their stable prices. Third party games, especially Atlus, tend to have sales and price cuts, though (Atlus has sales on the eShop all the time).

decent price drops and good potential sales deals but the part about a budget line wont happen that why there never been one before on the ds. These are just normal price drops which has happened before that Nintendo does every so often just like any other game companies. Yes they don't do is as often but it is not abnormal

Examples of release msrp vs today msrp:

Super Mario 64 DS release price: $34.99 and retail price today $29.99

New Super Mario Bros. DS release price $39.99 and retail price today $34.99

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem release price $34.99 and retail price today $29.99

Yoshi's Island DS release price $34.99 and retail price $29.99

as you can see the same kind of drops yet no budget lines ever came of any of them and it been years since they had those drops

I think Super Mario 3D Land was 30 on Black Friday but I missed it so in for one. Got New Leaf for like $25 and Kart for $28 so I;d say $30 is a good price

$29.99 use to be the normal price or even a couple bucks cheaper on amazon so this isn't much of a change but I hope this means the pre-owned price on Best Buy will go down but I doubt it.

Damn. I just bought most of these during Target's B2G1F because I figured their MSRP wouldn't drop until there was an official "select" line a few years down the line. It's pretty rare for Nintendo to just drop the MSRP on their games though. 

My question is: will they change the case art to say "Player's Choice"?  Maybe it's just me, but I'd almost rather pay $30 now than pay $20 later and end up with a tainted box :nottalking:

Most of the deals are great for the price as these games will offer over 30+ Hours of gameplay. 

OoT and StarFox don't really offer that much gameplay so I'm glad they didn't drop. (Ocarina of Time is the only one really worth it. Star Fox's 3D is a bit intense and it doesn't have much replay.)

That and Nintendo loves to cash in on Nostalgia... 

Nintendo Selects on 3DS?! I don't own any of those titles.  Might bite if there's a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on them. Definitely need more titles added to the Nintendo Select line.

Still debating if I should even bother getting Super Mario 64 DS, but that still holding $34.99 MSRP is a good blocker.

I am curious how this will all work out. I know they never did a player's choice for the Nintendo DS. I don't recall, did they do one for the GBA? If they did it couldn't have been much :/

Most of the deals are great for the price as these games will offer over 30+ Hours of gameplay.

OoT and StarFox don't really offer that much gameplay so I'm glad they didn't drop. (Ocarina of Time is the only one really worth it. Star Fox's 3D is a bit intense and it doesn't have much replay.)

That and Nintendo loves to cash in on Nostalgia...
So the games that offer less gameplay should cost more? What?

Nintendo Selects on 3DS?! I don't own any of those titles. Might bite if there's a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on them. Definitely need more titles added to the Nintendo Select line.

Still debating if I should even bother getting Super Mario 64 DS, but that still holding $34.99 MSRP is a good blocker.
Anybody who knows me well can tell you that I'm extremely critical of Nintendo (there's a lot to be critical of) but aside from the Donkey Kong port and MAYBE NSMB2 (which I loved aside from DLC bullshit) there's no reason not to own all of these games. SM3DL, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart 7...... all fantastic. And for what it is, I loved NSMB 2 a lot more than I did the WiiU rehash. You really can't go wrong on any of these titles, and $30 is a very fair price. Just make sure you are playing the Mario games on a 3DS, not a 2DS, or you will be missing out ;)

Which makes you wonder why Nintendo can't be bothered to support 3D on WiiU games.......

As for Super Mario 64 DS, it's a coin toss. The extra 30 stars were great, and harkens back to a time when Nintendo wasn't interested in farting out a quick HDified port or rehashed 2D platformer for full price. Not to mention the mini-games (nothing special now, but I was sooooo addicted when I got my first DS). The controls are pretty bad (and don't let fanboys fool you, the circlepad doesn't fix them, it just remaps the D-Pad) but if you can muddle your way through the game in spite of the controls it's worth revisiting for the extra content.

Last edited:
I am curious how this will all work out. I know they never did a player's choice for the Nintendo DS. I don't recall, did they do one for the GBA? If they did it couldn't have been much :/

So the games that offer less gameplay should cost more? What?
I think his point is that this will help drive the masses to Nintendo's newer, more innovative offerings instead of old ports.

The DS did have a player's choice but it wasn't as obvious, they called it "Touch Generations."

I'm gonna enjoy the B2G1 later this year. $66 is better than $88.

The DS did have a player's choice but it wasn't as obvious, they called it "Touch Generations."

I'm gonna enjoy the B2G1 later this year. $66 is better than $88.
Uh, what? How was that a player's choice? IIRC that was for games like Picross, Brain Age, that broken PoS eyesight trainer, ect. Just because the games were a bit cheaper didn't make them player's choice....

in 2004 they released a lot of games on Gameboy advance called classic nes series as a tribute to the 20th anniversary of the Famicom since this is 2014 which would be the 30th anniversary it would be nice to see a similar limited series released on the 3ds

in 2004 they released a lot of games on Gameboy advance called classic nes series as a tribute to the 20th anniversary of the Famicom since this is 2014 which would be the 30th anniversary it would be nice to see a similar limited series released on the 3ds
Virtual Console.......

Yeah I hate it too, but it's still there, so Nintendo would never do that.

Speaking of redone boxart...

castlevania-dawn-of-sorrow.jpg

My question is: will they change the case art to say "Player's Choice"? Maybe it's just me, but I'd almost rather pay $30 now than pay $20 later and end up with a tainted box :nottalking:
Wow. The power of suggestion. It's NOT Player's Choice. It's an MSRP drop.

Don't go to a timeshare informational session.

Speaking of redone boxart...

castlevania-dawn-of-sorrow.jpg
I heard you like the cover art, so I put the cover art in the cover art.

I remember seeing that for the first time. I almost had a fit.

Edited by starmask2k3, Today, 01:47 PM.

Just because I hate the pricing, $30?! THATS IT?! Stores have it at that price once in a while. I was hoping for $19.99 cuz I'd pick up donkey kong for sure.

Sorry for the tiny rant.
This is retail. We should see the actual cost drop even further. I wouldn't be surprised to see $20 per sales by Xmas.

As a new 3DS owner, I'm glad to see these price drops coming. I'll be hoping for some good sales to drop them even lower.

$30... that's a little sad. Considering you can get all these games for $20 (w/ some work, depends on the game) than this $30 price is a bit lacking.

I know they never did a player's choice for the Nintendo DS. I don't recall, did they do one for the GBA? If they did it couldn't have been much :/
They re-released Clubhouse Games later in the generation for a reduced price, and there's the Konami re-release shown above. Don't think they did an official line for DS, though. There was an official, very late gen PC line for GBA, though.

gbapc2.jpg

bread's done
Back