Elder Scrolls Online $52.13

In 6 months? Not a chance.
Probably in a year and by then all the bugs will be fixed, content added and so on. Then Ill try it out. It will be f2p soon enough though, the days of multiple pay to play MMO games surviving together at once is almost over. Once the WOW expansion comes out later this year people will jump ship for it, others by then will have grown tired of this one and left as well, so the remaining players will be a much smaller base.

With so many games to play, and so many free MMO titles to play I just cant justify paying to play a game again like that. Only exception will be the new WOW expansion this winter, but even that will be something I clear all the content in 2 months and cancel my account again.

I don't see this game going f2p - well at least not even considered until a year or 2 later. F2p fad needs to die anyways though since it is a terrible model (for players wanting a quality mmo).

You know what else is a terrible model? Charging $60 for the game, then charging $15 per month AND also having a cash shop in the game. I REALLY hope that model dies.

I don't see this game going f2p - well at least not even considered until a year or 2 later. F2p fad needs to die anyways though since it is a terrible model (for players wanting a quality mmo).
I love when people have no idea what they are talking about.

That was the same thing they said about TOR. Not making that mistake again. 6-12 months and this will be F2P. Its a decent deal for those looking to jump in right away though. Decide if the 52 is worth playing it earlier (+ the monthly fee).

Reviews seem really mixed. I watched a few twitch streams and it looks like fun, most people seem to be having fun that are streaming. Angry Joe's review is out soon, can't wait to see what he has to say considering his praise for GW2. Honestly GW2 is the best MMO to come out in recent years but it fell victum to the lack of end game content despite getting "free" DLC every 2 weeks. That and the PVP was basically a zerg fest outside of the 1v1 duels which seem decent.

Speaking of which, pretty big GW2 patch coming out today that's going to change the entire game. So I'm going to get back into it later this week.

As for this game going F2P? I was predicting six months before myself, but at the earliest I'm going to say probably next summer. It really depends on how many people still subscribe by the end of the year. Doesn't mean they will budge though. Games like Ultima Online still charge monthly, and look how old that game is!

This isn't WoW. Just like every recent MMO, it's going to be F2P soon. The general consensus is that it's a good Elder Scrolls game with same, bland MMO taste to it. The beta was entertaining, but didn't meet expectations. This game does NOT compare to Skyrim/Morrowind (depth of story, quality of quests, freedom of exploration, etc).

The game is horrible period. Every time a new MMO comes out everyone is always afraid to call it how they see it. There have been better MMO's like SWTOR and Tera that went free to play, to think this won't go free to play, you're just kidding yourselves. the only thing this game has going for it is all the wannabe Elder Scrolls fans who think that they're true fans of the series because they played Skyrim. they will probably continue to pay like idiots and keep this game going for a few months longer.

The game is horrible period. Every time a new MMO comes out everyone is always afraid to call it how they see it. There have been better MMO's like SWTOR and Tera that went free to play, to think this won't go free to play, you're just kidding yourselves. the only thing this game has going for it is all the wannabe Elder Scrolls fans who think that they're true fans of the series because they played Skyrim. they will probably continue to pay like idiots and keep this game going for a few months longer.
Yup, I agree with the second statement here.

Have you played ESO yet? To say it's horrible is so far from the truth. It has more depth than any of the MMOs you've listed. The quest lines alone blow other MMOs out of the water, not to mention the robust crafting system and combat mechanic that's more than just stand-and-deliver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviews seem really mixed. I watched a few twitch streams and it looks like fun, most people seem to be having fun that are streaming. Angry Joe's review is out soon, can't wait to see what he has to say considering his praise for GW2. Honestly GW2 is the best MMO to come out in recent years but it fell victum to the lack of end game content despite getting "free" DLC every 2 weeks. That and the PVP was basically a zerg fest outside of the 1v1 duels which seem decent.

Speaking of which, pretty big GW2 patch coming out today that's going to change the entire game. So I'm going to get back into it later this week.

As for this game going F2P? I was predicting six months before myself, but at the earliest I'm going to say probably next summer. It really depends on how many people still subscribe by the end of the year. Doesn't mean they will budge though. Games like Ultima Online still charge monthly, and look how old that game is!
That was my grief with GW2. I loved the game, but my game time gets pretty finite. When all of these timed events began coming out and I kept missing them cause of RL, I find that the one issue I had is I will never get to experience these special events to an entirety...and the PvP, too. =/ It makes me leery of MMOs now since now I need to pay close attention to them.

Go play wow and let see if this statement holds true.
it took Wow like 6 years before they added a cash shop.

And by then it was already the most successful MMO in the history of the genre, by a long long long margin too.

Then from what I can remember the cash shop was incredibly minimal slowly starting off with minor vanity pets, and then mounts.

I have no idea what the ESO cash shop has to offer, but I think the idea of an mmo launching with a purchase price, monthly fee AND cash shop is absoultley terrible.

I prefer MMOs that have a monthly fee, simply because I consider that monthly fee the reason that I get to avoid microtransactions and pay to win.

Games like Guild Wars 2 I expect the cash shop, to help fill in the void of no monthly fees.

Was disappointed with this game, and I really wanted to love it. Big fan of the series, so I ended up pre ordering two Imperial Editions from Best Buy, for the statues and books, but now want to get rid of them.
Way to restrictive for an Elder Scrolls game, too high a penalty for dying, difficult combat if you're alone, terrible loot, and a ton of annoying people running around.

If anyone really wants this game, they should buy my extra copy with all the Imperial Edition and Explorer's DLC, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it until its FTP.

Was disappointed with this game, and I really wanted to love it. Big fan of the series, so I ended up pre ordering two Imperial Editions from Best Buy, for the statues and books, but now want to get rid of them.
Way to restrictive for an Elder Scrolls game, too high a penalty for dying, difficult combat if you're alone, terrible loot, and a ton of annoying people running around.

If anyone really wants this game, they should buy my extra copy with all the Imperial Edition and Explorer's DLC, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it until its FTP.
are you selling the physical items?

just a warning. this game is seriously messed up. Theres been a major bug going on the past several days where peoples banks were disappearing o_O most people then got it back but lost all upgrade slots, gold banked, and some  lost skill points. Problem is when the upgrade slots were gone you lost the items that were in them too. So say you spent the thousands and thousands of gold to go from the default 60 or so slots up to 80 or more. All those slots are gone and the items in them as well.

Customer service has been abysmal about this. I opened 2 tickets and put in a request for a call after i couldn't even log in,  that they claimed would be sent in 1 hour... never got a call. Theres a huge thread with lots of pissed off people on their forums and there has been virtually no response from admins. Not even if we should keep playing the characters, refrain from logging in, or what.

bottom line, this games kinda a mess right now with serious game breaking bugs and TERRIBLE customer service. I dont see the point in paying for service this terrible

just a warning. this game is seriously messed up. Theres been a major bug going on the past several days where peoples banks were disappearing o_O most people then got it back but lost all upgrade slots, gold banked, and some lost skill points. Problem is when the upgrade slots were gone you lost the items that were in them too. So say you spent the thousands and thousands of gold to go from the default 60 or so slots up to 80 or more. All those slots are gone and the items in them as well.

Customer service has been abysmal about this. I opened 2 tickets and put in a request for a call after i couldn't even log in, that they claimed would be sent in 1 hour... never got a call. Theres a huge thread with lots of pissed off people on their forums and there has been virtually no response from admins. Not even if we should keep playing the characters, refrain from logging in, or what.

bottom line, this games kinda a mess right now with serious game breaking bugs and TERRIBLE customer service. I dont see the point in paying for service this terrible
Hahahahahahahaha who can defend this Schmitt

[quote name="Kenshindono" post="11693113" timestamp="1397628583"]
just a warning. this game is seriously messed up. Theres been a major bug going on the past several days where peoples banks were disappearing o_O most people then got it back

Hahahahahahahaha who can defend this Schmitt
Hahahahahahaha what you fail to realize is that every MMO that comes out has flaws like this at the beginning. Vanilla WoW had issues for 2-3 months post-launch. Of course the bank bug sucks, but Zenimax has already said they will reimburse any affected once the issue is fixed. Every other bug in the game can be fixed with a small work-around. Nothing currently is "game-breaking".

Oh, and the "cash shop" is one item, a horse mount.

I love the Elder Scrolls games, but I can't imagine wanting to play one that's online.

For starters, they are kind of notorious for making games full of bugs, and not exactly being well balanced. The trade-off was you got this huge world with tons of things to do. I'm not seeing how that sort of approach can translate well to an online world.

Secondly, I find any model that seeks to gain money from you via three methods deplorable. I understand why companies want to do it, but the whole pay for the game, pay to play, it, and then pay for micro-transactions thing is just disgusting.

So, this is going to come off as defensive, but I really want more info on these points.

Too restrictive? You get 4 starting classes that really don't have major impacts on play styles as every class can specialize how they want. With 300+ skill points available, you have virtually no limitations or need to respec if you misappropriate a point. The zones are huge and there are 50-70 quests per zone for you to pick and choose. Trade skills allow you to specialize in every single one if you choose.

High penalty for dying? Your armor takes damage and you have the option of resurrecting on the spot or at the nearest wayshine.

Difficult combat alone? I've soloed just about everything so far up to level 20.

Terrible loot? Depends on where you look. Sure, most trash mobs just give 1-3 gold, but there are some whites & greens in there. The better stuff (blues+) comes from dungeon bosses. You can make great armor/weapons as well if you have bad RNG luck.

Annoying people running around? This is like every other MMO I've ever played. You're going to have gold-spammers and idiots posting, but they eventually fade. Other games suffer from kill-stealers, but ESO solves that by having separate instanced loot for anyone that damages a mob.

So, this is going to come off as defensive, but I really want more info on these points.

Too restrictive? You get 4 starting classes that really don't have major impacts on play styles as every class can specialize how they want. With 300+ skill points available, you have virtually no limitations or need to respec if you misappropriate a point. The zones are huge and there are 50-70 quests per zone for you to pick and choose. Trade skills allow you to specialize in every single one if you choose.

High penalty for dying? Your armor takes damage and you have the option of resurrecting on the spot or at the nearest wayshine.

Difficult combat alone? I've soloed just about everything so far up to level 20.

Terrible loot? Depends on where you look. Sure, most trash mobs just give 1-3 gold, but there are some whites & greens in there. The better stuff (blues+) comes from dungeon bosses. You can make great armor/weapons as well if you have bad RNG luck.

Annoying people running around? This is like every other MMO I've ever played. You're going to have gold-spammers and idiots posting, but they eventually fade. Other games suffer from kill-stealers, but ESO solves that by having separate instanced loot for anyone that damages a mob.
every mmo is exactly the same. they all use the same cookie cutter mold. you can sit there and type as much as you want, at the end of the day its the same exact thing and its bad. period. until mmo's completely change their design its the exact fuckin same thing over and over and over. you've played one you've pretty much played them all. only thing different is its a different flavor. baskin and robbins 31 flavors. If you pay monthly to play this mmo or any other mmo you are either dumb, or your a fan of the series and are still dumb because you probably think bethesda had something to do with game design, when all they are are the publisher.

Yep, very defensive. Some people are making the game out to be terrible. That's definitely going way too far. It's just a "good" game. That's it. Not very good, not great. It does NOT warrant the $15 a month (or the initial $60 in my opinion).

Also, the bugs are pretty bad. WoW had some bugs in the beginning, but I played that from release until WotLK and it NEVER was in as bad of shape as ESO is right now.

I truly hope the problems are ironed out in the coming months. I only played a little bit (around 6-8 hours), but I encountered way too many flaws to consider this thing a worthy standalone Elder Scrolls game.

Such a shame too... :(

ESO is buggy, and the dev team behind it seems like this is their first rodeo so they are learning. Other than that I am enjoying it especially the quest and story quality of the game.

I love stupid posts like these since it shows the great intelligence of that poster ;). Oh I only played most mmos out there (both free and montly sub) so I def have no clue what I am talking about!!!

oh wait.

I'll answer these, since they were directed at my post.

I had been really struggling with the combat, when I finally came across a decent piece of armor, and a decent weapon.
However, I could not use them, because I hadn't leveled up high enough.
Kind of frustrating, because there has not been any restrictions on what you could or could not use in past ES games.

I don't have a problem with the armor taking damage, but resurrecting on the spot costs a very expensive soul gem, or it means using the wayshrine, which can sometimes set you back quite a bit. If you haven't gotten the hang of the combat yet, this can become extremely annoying. Fight enemy...die...spawn at wayshrine...trek 5 minutes back to enemy...fight...die again...spawn at wayshrine again....
All that on top of your armor taking damage.

Thats great for you, you must have picked up the combat quickly. Myself, and a couple of other friends have not, and have had quite a difficult time when fighting an enemy alone. And when you combine the difficult time in combat, with the above complaint about the respawning back at the wayshrine plus having armor take damage, the game becomes less and less fun.

Maybe the loot gets better as you get to a higher level, but come on, one lousy piece of gold?
I kept thinking I was going to find SOME kind of armor on one of the enemies I killed. I guess I'm just used to how you can take the armor from a defeated enemy in Skyrim, so when I see a ton of armor laying around that I can't take, it gets kind of frustrating.

So I coming up on a couple of scamps, and I'm getting really to attack....I just need to check first that my weapon isn't worn out...
When some other guy comes jumping in out of nowhere, hacks up one of the scamps, jumps to the other, kills that one, and then jumps away.
....needless to say, I don't even get a chance to get any whacks in, so no loot for me. And I was really counting on that loot, because I'm still a low level, and I could use the xp.

Just another annoying part of the game, when put together with the others, make it not something I have been enjoying.
Hey, I'm not trying to change anyone mind about the game, I'm glad there are people like you who really like it. Those are the people I'm trying to sell my statue and book to.
I'm just saying how I was disappointed with it.
I REALLY wanted to like it. I wanted to be playing it for the next 6 months. Hell, I bought TWO Imperial Editions, because I love the series so much, and wanted an extra statue and book.
But I'm just not having any fun with it.

bread's done
Back