anyone know if I bought something on target.com and did a store return would I get price refund on the shipping back

3 thoughts on the subject:

1. I would seriously hope not, as that should be considered a non-refundable convenience charge.

2. Sign up for a Red Card while you're there returning the item and you'll get free shipping on all future orders from Target.com plus 5% off all purchases. (I would highly suggest not getting the Debit version, ask for the Target-only charge/credit card)

3. I know we all like CAG and consider it our internet home, but wouldn't it be easier to call your local Target and ask them this question instead of creating a new thread and waiting for an answer, hoping it's not a pointless one, like mine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you bought it online I am assuming you used a credit card. The return would most likely be processed back to the credit card for the full amount.

1. I would seriously hope not, as that should be considered a non-refundable convenience charge.
Why would you hope that? What does it matter to you whether starmask2k3 gets a full refund? That's kind of spiteful.

Anyway, here's Target's policy regarding this matter:

"Refunds
The appropriate tax amount by item will be included with your refund. Original shipping and handling fees (if applicable) may be deducted from the value of your refund unless the return is a result of our error."

So, if Target screwed up, you're good. If not, then it's YMMV and hopefully you get lucky and the person doing the return is nice about it.

Why would you hope that?
Starmask's situation aside, I don't like the thought of a business losing money that they can't get back (the non-refundable cost of shipping the item to someone because they didn't/couldn't go to the store and pick it up) just because a customer changed their mind.

The cost of having something delivered to you should be separate from the cost of the product being delivered.

Here's a semi-hypothetical: What if Starmask's Aunt paid an extra $20 to get his Easter Bunny costume here by Saturday. Now that the Egg Hunt is over, should he be allowed to return it on Monday to the store and get a full refund for the extra express shipping that she paid to send it FedEx? The costume was $20, the shipping was $20. If the item is returned, Target can only get back the mysteriously-stained costume but have to eat the $20 since that portion of the transaction was completed and can't be refunded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you on your hypothetical. That's intentionally shady.

Without knowing starmask2k3's situation, I guess I just choose to assume they aren't trying to be deliberately deceptive until I see any reason to believe otherwise. I definitely wouldn't say they're entitled to a refund of the shipping, but I wouldn't hope they don't get a refund unless I knew they were intentionally trying to defraud Target.

The dvd wasn't in stock and it keeps skipping and I cleaned it and it keeps skipping

What? If the DVD isn't in stock in store, what exactly is he going to exchange it for?
He's not going to exchange it for his money.

Open music, movies, video games, and software cannot be returned, but may be exchanged for the same title on the same or different gaming platform.
It's a DVD. I'm sure they can find him a copy unless he's participating in the "Free rental program" and doesn't want the exchange

There's always exceptions to that. I purchased a hockey game years ago for the original Xbox, and there was a glitch with the game where if you had put a ton of music on the Xbox hard drive (don't know what the actual limit was) the game refused to play AT ALL. You'd go to load a match and it would freeze up every time, and it was a flaw with every single copy of the game.

I explained the issue to the person working in customer service and they had no problem refunding me the cost of the game.

bread's done
Back