CAGcast #363: I'd Rather Be Playing HearthStone

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
HearthStone is out on iPad!  Other games and news is discussed.
Download (78 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-363-id-rather-be

GoDaddy.com Coupon Codes

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro:  HearthStone Remix -  Outro: GI Joe
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes...I immediately was wondering WTF when I opened it in iTunes and it's listed as (Track #) 364.

What Shipwreck and Cheapy's shopping habits are like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOgZwk9rN8

Just kidding, great show as always.

I'm not sure why you guys are talking about xbox one like it's sales are too low. Around the same time 360 had sold less. I do agree that they need to give people more of a reason to switch over but that will take some time, games take a long time to make.

New adventure mode for hearthstone was officially announced at pax east, surprised that wasn't in the news section. I'm looking forward to that. Great show, guys.

p.s. I'm still playing titanfall.

Tuesday show???

1486.gif

Something I think people keep overlooking is that not everyone who wanted to play Titanfall waited until March to buy an Xbox One. If you were interested in the game last year, and wanted to "jump in" to next gen, why wouldn't you have already purchased a console?

Titanfall is most definitely a success. It's a multi-player only shooter so digital sales are likely to be much higher than for a single player only game. The fact that Titanfall still came in first for physical sales says a lot too(I'm sure the PC physical sales were only a tiny fraction of the total NPD ranking). And yes, the codes from the bundles did not count towards Titanfall's sales ranking.

I think the updated price for the xbox one and titanfall bundle is where it should be. I'm not sure if I'm the minority of majority, but I feel if they were to take all the apps (netflix, hulu, amazon, etc) from behind the paywall it would be able to compete with the ps4. I've been wanting to play Dead Rising 3 ever since it was released. But knowing I don't play online as much as I used to, it wouldn't be worth it to buy the xbox one and DR3 and just have it sit in my entertainment center  after I'm done with the game. I'd like to know that while I'm waiting for that next AAA single player game, I can still make use of it by watching netflix, etc without the extra 50-60 bucks a year. if they did that then I'm sold.

I absolutely love that CheapyD has been making the movie phone joke the past few episodes. Great show as always guys!

The Lone Ranger is like a very, very expensive B-movie from the 90's. It's also WAAAY too long.

I think the proper term for "free to Play" should, in most cases, be instead "extended demo," though F2P sounds more appealing to consumers.

Is it that 3rd party developers were waiting and seeing on the Wii U or were they staying away because of their experience with the Wii? How many non-music / non-dancing (IE. non-casual) 3rd party games were big sellers on the Wii despite its huge 100 million+, worldwide install base? A Sonic game, Epic Mickey, a re-release of Resident Evil 4, and monster hunter were in the 2 million range. A Rayman game, another Resident Evil game, a Call of Duty game, and the launch title Red Steel were in the 1 million range.

I would like to refresh Wombat's memory of the Xbox 360 post launch lineup.  There wasn't much coming out between January-September either. I remember counting the days until a PING PONG game came out. . . A F-ING PING PONG GAME!!!  :)

I would like to refresh Wombat's memory of the Xbox 360 post launch lineup. There wasn't much coming out between January-September either. I remember counting the days until a PING PONG game came out. . . A F-ING PING PONG GAME!!! :)
Oblivion. Oblivion, OBLIVION!

I don't have a new gen console yet. The biggest reason is the costs of both consoles is too high for me. However, there are other factors as well. I don't really care about any of the games that are new gen exclusives. I am an XBox 360 owner and I have little motivation to want to switch over when there have been ports of XBox One games. Garden Warfare is a game I first saw on the XBox One and I ended up getting the 360 version for myself. Sure, the XBox One version looks nicer with a better frame rate and better looking textures than the 360 version, but the game still has the same fun as it's better looking counterpart. I have heard this is also the same with Titanfall for the 360. I think for some people the small leap in graphics isn't that important to them. Then you have games like Trials Fusion and Call of Duty: Ghosts where both 360 versions barely look that different at all compared the the XBox One versions. When people see that, it's not going to motivate them to buy an XBox One.

I typically play with a group of 5 people. Of the 5 of us only one of us got an XBox One. The rest just don't care about this new gen.

On my 360 friend's list I have about 41 people on it. Out of those 41...only 5 of them have switched over to XBox One.

I feel like a lot of people just don't have a good reason in their mind to switch over yet.

Shipwreck, you go to church? Is that a regular thing?

Edit: I also just heard the Seinfeld reference, WONDERFUL! Gosh I love this podcast.

I know. . . that's one game (It was a great game. . . and a port) but it's not like there were a bunch of other games coming out at the time.
That was the unintended genius of Oblivion. Many console gamers had never played a game like that before, and it you could play if for well over 100 hours.

CAG #363

3:15 Andy Dalton
7:15 Show Feedback
7:15 - Titanfall
8:15 - XB1 headset adapters
14:00 Watch This: Pacific Rim
15:15 - The Lone Ranger
16:00 - True Detective
16:30 - Man of Steel
20:45 New Releases
20:45 - Dark Souls II
21:30 - Fracked, Trials Fusion
22:30 - Demon Gaze
25:15 - Octodad (ps4)
26:45 - Warface (360)
29:30 E.T. landfill excavation
34:30 Peggle 2 DLC
36:45 No Heroes Allowed, No Puzzles Either
42:00 Infamous Paper Trail
44:30 Mario Golf season pass
46:15 Tekken PC
47:00 Antechamber
49:00 NPD's, console sales, last gen stuff, Titanfall
63:30 Steam sales figures
68:00 Amazing Spider-man 2 now not coming to a XB1 near you
69:00 The Great Game Drought of '14
71:30 Hearthstone
76:00 Cagbag: Borderlands Vita

I absolutely love that CheapyD has been making the movie phone joke the past few episodes. Great show as always guys!
By CheapyD, you mean the entire CAGCast crew and by past few episodes you mean past few years, right?

I think every Seinfeld fan eventually pulls a "why don't you just tell me..." every so often, and it never, ever gets old. :)

As a Seinfeld fan for life, this is one of my current regular rotation T-shirts and I get recognition confirmation almost every time I wear it:

(Only $6+shipping!)

The biggest mistake MS made was including the Kinect but then not releasing any software for the thing that's unique about the system. The blame can be partly placed on Xbox head honcho Phil Spencer who was heading up Microsoft Games during the XB1's launch. Remember how many games launched with the 360 Kinect? We only just got Kinect Sports. There should've been at least 3 games at launch. Hell, Infinity Blade was originally supposed to be a Kinect game. Release that original vision.

Hey guys, what's your opinion on Sony finally opening the flood gates and allowing almost all psp/ps1 classics to be downloadable for the Vita? Any ideas on why it took them so long to implement this?

Didn't South Park and Dark Souls outside of the usual suspects make up the majority of 360 software in March?  Next gen is looking healthy with Infamous and Titanfall software numbers. You also have to think as Shipwreck said: Download sales for Titanfall. I also believe Titanfall is already the second best selling game on the X1, meaning it sold what, 1.5+ million titles? So 25% or so X1 owners already own Titanfall.

Don't forget how many Wii systems are on the market place. Does that mean Wii software is still flyijng off the shelves?

I think Gearbox Is going to be in for a rude awakening with Borderlands 1.5. Not only is it a pre-quel  which usually tend to sell like shit and people are under the impression the title will be half ass (recent suspect: Gears of War Judgement, hell even God of War Accession didn't sell that well) and to top it off It's not getting a next gen port.

I can understand next gen ports aren't "Free" as Randy said, but you have to imagine the costs are quite low when It's supposedly quite easy to port from PC - both on the PS4 and X1. You would think MS and Sony would work more with companies to get as many titles possible on both systems.

I for one am not buying anymore past gen titles outside of XBox Live fire sales. Yes, I even passed on Dark Souls 2. If nothing comes from E3 I will change my tune (and Dark Souls 2 should be a lot cheaper come the holiday competition), but I have a feeling more games will get the Tomb Raider treatment once X1 and PS4 sales start to go higher.

Everything rides on E3. I hope more companies are not releasing past gen only. So far we have the following: Borderlands Prequel, Grid 2, Risen 3, Sacred 3, Ultra Street Fighter IV and Naruto are the only future titles left that I can see that won't be on PS4/X1 as of yet.

I would like to refresh Wombat's memory of the Xbox 360 post launch lineup. There wasn't much coming out between January-September either. I remember counting the days until a PING PONG game came out. . . A F-ING PING PONG GAME!!! :)
February 06

Fight Night Round 3

March 06

Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 1

Burnout Revenge

College Hoops 2K6

Oblivion

Rumble Roses X

April 06

Tomb Raider: Legend

MLB 2K6

May 06

Rockstar Table Tennis

Hitman: Blood Money

July 06

LotR: Battle for Middle Earth II

Chromehounds

Prey

NCAA Football 06

August 06

Dead Rising

Madden NFL 07

N3: Ninety Nine Nights

Saints Row 1

Sept. 06

LEGO Star Wars II

NHL 2K7

NHL 07

NBA 2K7

NBA Live 07

Pretty decent selection there and I didn't list everything at retail. Plus anything downloadable in the first year, including all the old 80's arcade games, some with MP, Geometry Wars 1, and UNO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games (Just list by chronological order, this is retail only)

Didn't South Park and Dark Souls outside of the usual suspects make up the majority of 360 software in March? Next gen is looking healthy with Infamous and Titanfall software numbers. You also have to think as Shipwreck said: Download sales for Titanfall. I also believe Titanfall is already the second best selling game on the X1, meaning it sold what, 1.5+ million titles? So 25% or so X1 owners already own Titanfall.

Don't forget how many Wii systems are on the market place. Does that mean Wii software is still flyijng off the shelves?

I think Gearbox Is going to be in for a rude awakening with Borderlands 1.5. Not only is it a pre-quel which usually tend to sell like shit and people are under the impression the title will be half ass (recent suspect: Gears of War Judgement, hell even God of War Accession didn't sell that well) and to top it off It's not getting a next gen port.

I can understand next gen ports aren't "Free" as Randy said, but you have to imagine the costs are quite low when It's supposedly quite easy to port from PC - both on the PS4 and X1. You would think MS and Sony would work more with companies to get as many titles possible on both systems.

I for one am not buying anymore past gen titles outside of XBox Live fire sales. Yes, I even passed on Dark Souls 2. If nothing comes from E3 I will change my tune (and Dark Souls 2 should be a lot cheaper come the holiday competition), but I have a feeling more games will get the Tomb Raider treatment once X1 and PS4 sales start to go higher.

Everything rides on E3. I hope more companies are not releasing past gen only. So far we have the following: Borderlands Prequel, Grid 2, Risen 3, Sacred 3, Ultra Street Fighter IV and Naruto are the only future titles left that I can see that won't be on PS4/X1 as of yet.
There's an AC title that is old gen only, in addition to the new gen/PC one codenamed Unity. Murdered: Soul Suspect, Sniper Elite 3, Dragon Age 3, and a bunch of others are on both old and new gen.

There's an AC title that is old gen only, in addition to the new gen/PC one codenamed Unity. Murdered: Soul Suspect, Sniper Elite 3, Dragon Age 3, and a bunch of others are on both old and new gen.
Yeah I missed a few, was just stating titles that weren't coming to next gen at all. I think the list will be rather small after E3. My prediction is by next fall X1,PS4 and Wii U software outpaces last gen sales.

The steps for a Passover Seder for quick reference:

Kadesh -the recitation of Kiddush prayer & the first cup of wine

Urchatz - ritual for washing hands.
Karpas -eating a vegetable dipped in salt water.

Yachatz-breaking of the middle matzo and hide half for the Afikoman.

Maggid-the recitation of the story of Passover, the second cup of wine
Rachtza -ritual for washing hands a second time.

Motze-the recitation of the blessing for bread.

Matzah -the recitation of the blessing for matza & eating the matza.

Morror -eating the bitter vegetable.
Korech -eating a sandwich of matza and bitter vegetable.

Shulchan Oruch -eating the festive meal.

Tzafun -eating the Afikomen.

Bayrech -the recitation of prayers for after eating, the third cup of wine
Hallel -the recitation of Hallel psalms of praise, the fourth cup of wine
Nirtzah -concluding prayers of the seder

Yeah it takes forever, good thing there's drinking involved. :beer:

Great show as always guys, keep up the good work.
Interesting talk about the state of the current generation of consoles.
Wombat, I honestly couldn't disagree more about Man Of Steel. For myself personally it is a near perfect vision of a modern day superman. But it is a film that has a very love/hate following.
Looking forward to the next show.

Good show this week guys. I especially liked the free to play talk. It got me thinking about Plants vs Zombies 2. PvZ 1 was so successful it was at the top of the App store charts forever - while PvZ 2 seems to have crashed and burned. Are there any financial numbers out there for PvZ2 that can be used to compare the switch to Freemium?

Thanks for the show fellas.  

@Shipwreck  That's cool that Andy Dalton attends your church.  If you ever get to spend a minute with him you should ask him if he is into videogames and--if so--tell him about CAG.  

I couldn't tell if you guys were being sarcastic about hiding matzah balls around the house instead of easter eggs.

Woo, second time my feedback has been read on the show. And this time, I wasn't being proved wrong!

Unfortunately I have no interesting or witty feedback for this time... it was a good show, though.

I checked out No More Heroes: Way too Long Game Title based on Ship's recommendation and am now hooked on it. FYI they did finally put the axes up in the store. It's only $8 for unlimited plays which pretty much removes all of the F2P restrictions. $8 for an addicting Puzzle Quest-type game seems pretty reasonable to me.

Hey CAGcast crew what kind of beer do you guys enjoy? Sometimes Ship would chime in hes having a beer. What are your favorite brews you enjoy and what are your least favorite? Good episode as always.

i have a recommendation for watch this bitches. "How to make money selling drugs" i just watched it the other day and its really a great documentary with former drug dealers and crooked cops and shows how stupid the drug laws are. you wont regret it.

From what I understand Wombat wants Microsoft to pay third party publishers to port over last gen games to the Xbox One?  To me that idea would not work very well because the "core" audience has moved on from the last generation.  

I think Wombat continues to be wrong about Titanfall.  In one month it is probably on 1/4 or 1/3 the consoles that is an incredible attach rate for a mutliplayer only new IP.  There have been few new IPs to ever reach those numbers on their first outings. 

I would guess Amazing Spider-man 2 failed its certification test on the Xbox One, and has to go through the certification process again.  I doubt Activision wants to admit the game failed certification. 

I think Wombat continues to be wrong about Titanfall. In one month it is probably on 1/4 or 1/3 the consoles that is an incredible attach rate for a mutliplayer only new IP. There have been few new IPs to ever reach those numbers on their first outings.
His point was never that it wasn't going to sell well, it's that people would buy it and then within 2-3 weeks stop playing it and go back to their go to multiplayer shooter like Battlefield or COD.

The thing that would help Xbone sales is Microsoft cleaning up its image and stop creating ridiculous policies. Microsoft had the audacity to claim consumers were misinformed about their DRM scheme after they removed it. Their parity clause hurts indies. Free apps and F2P games are paywalled.

I will not give my money to a company who is anti-consumer.

THE GOD DAMNED STOMACH FLU GOING AROUND EVERYWHERE. Everyone in my house had it and I was the last. Couln't stop shitting and throwing up for about two days. Good to hear your better and back on the CADCast.

hey guys,

I just wanted to stop by and say that I would totally pay a monthly fee to watch Shipwreck showcase his video game collection and play some of the older titles from past consoles on a bi-weekly, or even a monthly basis. Coupled with his daily Target ventures, I think it's more than enough to create the first ever CAG reality show. This would be a great way to finally get on Kickstarter. 

Come on, Ship -- do it! 

I just wanted to say that you guys did a great job talking about NPD sales numbers and the game drought. It was insightful and interesting to hear your points-of-view, in particular Wombat's.

Thanks for the great Cagcast as always.

Per http://www.vgchartz.com/ -

Xbox One outsells the PS4 again in North America the week of April 19th. 65k units vs 53k units.

And Titanfall sells almost 100k units for Xbox 360.

Yeah, I'd say the Xbox brand is picking up steam again in North America.

I just wanted to say that you guys did a great job talking about NPD sales numbers and the game drought. It was insightful and interesting to hear your points-of-view, in particular Wombat's.

Thanks for the great Cagcast as always.
However, Wombat did not mention the biggest racer of the year, Mario Kart 8, coming out next month.

The PS2 outsold the PS3 for a few years.   What we see now seems typical of console transitions.  It just takes time for everyone to switch over.  It doesn't happen overnight.  I don't see any need to ween gamers off the 360.  MS loses money on the X1.  They aren't that eager to sell X1s right now in that respect.   Gamers will switch over in time.

There have been very few high-profile console multiplayer-only releases (I can only think of 1 besides Titanfall) so saying none have been big hits isn't saying much.  The sample size is too small.  And actually  in today's digital download world there is no reason the consumer shouldn't be able to buy just the sp campaign or just the mp component or both.  

There are some good examples of F2P games out there like Hearthstone, League of Legends/DoTA or Team Fortress 2 that aren't these insidious beggars for your cash every step of the way afaik.

What concerns me with the X1 is that its behind in the market it dominated last gen.  And MS reported shipped numbers this last round instead of sales which only says it is doing worse than they want to let on.  And yes even a Titanfall couldn't save it.  But maybe that's just because Titanfall wasn't that special.  MS seems a bit stuck here.  As Cheapie said, even if they get rid of Kinect and go down to $400, what do they have?  A PS4 but less powerful.  They still have Halo and Gears of Wars.  Maybe that can help them.  

I don't think the Wii U is doing bad because of lack of 3rd party support.  EA supported the Wii but sold very few copies of its big games on the Wii despite the Wii's big install base.  Madden sold something like 100k compared to millions on other platforms.  So I'm not seeing this big problem with someone like EA not making games for the Wii U.  

Yes if 3rd parties went ahead and made full fledged proper  original games just for the Wii U then ...it would probably do better.  But releasing ports of 360/PS3 games at a full $60 was never going to do much for it and we all know the Wii U was never going to be a next-gen AAA platform before it was released unless hell froze over.  

I think Nintendo just confused people this gen.  And I think they just didn't have a big mainstream hit like they had with WiiSports which helped sell WiiFit and MarioKart etc.

And while I still say the GAmepad is a cool addition to a game controller I also have to say that I thought my kids would use the Wii U GAmepad without the tv more but they don't do that very much.  Not exactly sure why.   My kids will use their ipad or iPhone or 3ds while watching tv but rarely play just on the Gamepad while watching tv.  Maybe it is because I'm often on the tv that houses the Wii U and so they frequently can't do both.  And they know I don't want to hear the sound of something else while I'm watching tv so they aren't going to use just the Gamepad around me.      Or maybe they don't bother because they can't move with the Gamepad to somewhere else in the house.  My kids move around the house with their iPHones and Ipads and 3ds's.     And/or maybe the Wii U games aren't that aren't great on a small screen.  I always thought a problem with the PSP was that playing console games on a small screen wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  I remember playing a MLB game at Best Buy on the PSP and just thinking I couldn't take throwing and catching and hitting a pixel for a baseball very long.

I usually never play games while watching tv.  I can't concentrate on both unless its sports which I can just leave going in the backgroun.  Even then I usually just break out the GAmepad for surfing because it is larger than my phone screen and the one of my kids has my iPad.  

bread's done
Back