Those with Capital One Bank and Capital One 360 checking accounts

macgruuber

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Whats better: via moneypak or bank account? I'm hella paranoid (not really, but just cautious of linking bank accounts) and have been going the moneypak route, but the $5 charge may not make it worth it (i've only loaded it twice so far but need to again). I hardly use it, other than the occassional lowball and I'm getting a little hooked with ebay... I don't know if this is the proper forum for this, i hope it is. Thanks for any help.

Tl;dr: load paypal with moneypak or bank account?

If you have checking accounts from both banks, other than the convenience of beig able to instantly transfer funds, why do you have the two accounts/debit cards?

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea what Moneypak is, but I use a separate checking account solely for use with Paypal.  There's no way I'm giving Paypal access to my actual money vault in any capacity.

At many banks, checking accounts are free with no minimum.  There's no reason to have only one.

Add'l Info: I never, ever, EVER, use a Debit card for anything other than ATM transactions and the occasional Redbox free rental.  Everything is done with Credit cards. 

Credit Card = anything goes wrong, it's their money: their problem.

Debit Card = anything goes wrong, it's YOUR money: big problem.

this is the moneypak:  https://www.moneypak.com/ but as it states there is a service charge of $4.95. 

the additional checking sounds like a good idea, but i think the only one that i can think of with a low fee requires a min $200 or something...

i also don't like using my debit card for anything really other than atm, made the mistake of trusting target months back and though the bank replaced my card i'm even more reluctant to use it now. i use credit to pay for almost everything even $2 charges lol

No idea what Moneypak is, but I use a separate checking account solely for use with Paypal. There's no way I'm giving Paypal access to my actual money vault in any capacity.

At many banks, checking accounts are free with no minimum. There's no reason to have only one.

Add'l Info: I never, ever, EVER, use a Debit card for anything other than ATM transactions and the occasional Redbox free rental. Everything is done with Credit cards.

Credit Card = anything goes wrong, it's their money: their problem.

Debit Card = anything goes wrong, it's YOUR money: big problem.
x2 separate back account.

this is the moneypak:
the additional checking sounds like a good idea, but i think the only one that i can think of with a low fee requires a min $200 or something...
Plenty of online banks have no minimum requirements. Try Ally Bank, Discover Bank, or Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct) for starters.

If you need a physical branch, go visit your closest credit union.

thanks for the responses. i already got the moneypak, but for next time im highly considering opening and linking another checking account.

Plenty of online banks have no minimum requirements. Try Ally Bank, Discover Bank, or Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct) for starters.

If you need a physical branch, go visit your closest credit union.
i've been thinking about the capital one 360, but the whole online only thing isn't to enticing. is that worth it (any difficulties)?

If you open an additional checking from the same branch as your existing oftentimes you can transfer money online 24/7 that way you can get money into your Paypal account in case of an emergency like someone listing Stadium Events for $4.99/fs.

If you open an additional checking from the same branch as your existing oftentimes you can transfer money online 24/7 that way you can get money into your Paypal account in case of an emergency like someone listing Stadium Events for $4.99/fs.
i don't know if kerig and donut where suggesting opening diff checking accounts from the same bank or different banks, but that is something that i didn't think about doing. i'll def look into that. thanks
and i had to look up what Stadium Events was :dunce: lol

thanks for the responses. i already got the moneypak, but for next time im highly considering opening and linking another checking account.

i've been thinking about the capital one 360, but the whole online only thing isn't to enticing. is that worth it (any difficulties)?
I've been doing online only for several years now without any issues. What difficulties are you anticipating?

I didn't read through everything, but if you are looking for low fee accounts then see if there are any credit unions in your area.

I've been doing online only for several years now without any issues. What difficulties are you anticipating?
None, honestly. I'm just, as I stated before, very cautious when it come to my money. I find it more comforting if there is a physical branch I can go to if any were to arise.

I will look into opening another checking account at my bank, opening an online account or opening one at a credit union.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I opened a 2nd checking account at my bank just for eBay/paypal stuff. I think that's the best thing to do.

Out of curiosity what banks are you guys using? I use Chase but they require opening a new savings and checking account combo to waive fees. Went to Citi and it was the same. I decided to just go to Capital One and get a checking account with them and open a 360 to float money to.

Sorry for bumping this old thread.

Out of curiosity what banks are you guys using? I use Chase but they require opening a new savings and checking account combo to waive fees. Went to Citi and it was the same. I decided to just go to Capital One and get a checking account with them and open a 360 to float money to.
Most national banks (Chase, Citi, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc.) all make you jump through hoops to avoid minimum balance fees.

I have accounts with local banks that I use less than once a year, usually when I need to deposit cash. Everything else goes through online banks.

Sorry for bumping this old post. But heres another
ignorant/annoying
question. I guess those of you who answered and are still subscribed should unsubscribe since this thread may be irrelevant.

bread's done
Back