Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

GameStop Mario Kart 8 Demo Test Drive Days 5/17-5/18 Pre-Order & Get Free Mario Kart 8 Double Sided Poster & Play the Demo

gamestop mario kart 8 pre order demo wii u nintendo mario

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 pittsnoggle

pittsnoggle

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:52 AM

You cancelled your pre-order for one of the best games of the year because they wouldn't give you a piece of paper you can print off the internet?

1. I cant print a poster on a piece of paper maybe you can. 2. yes I did my wii u has sat in a drawer for months so I will wait till mk8 is cheaper and a reason to play u

690810.png

#32 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:05 AM

my son played it a hour ago
10294350_10152801985007656_8238170526786

Lol too cute.

They need to put some kind of chair or stool or something there so little kids can actually see the screen without straining their necks. Probably not going to happen unless they are bolted to the floor.

Open spoiler at your own risk.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#33 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:09 AM

Yo your son sucks at Mario Kart.

Leave him alone. He's probably amazed at the graphics and wanted to inspect each grass follicle in 1080p 60 Fps.

The original Mario Kart blew my mind as a little kid. I can't imagine if mk8 came out when I was that age.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#34 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:18 AM

Leave him alone. He's probably amazed at the graphics and wanted to inspect each grass follicle in 1080p 60 Fps.

That, or he's desperately trying to figure out how to get the gamepad in his mouth.

#35 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:30 AM

My nearest Gamestop had it. I played it with some other people there 4 player. Got to race several times in 2 player with my wife.  I loved it.  Can't wait to grab it.  There was a rep there (I think not Gamestop affiliated) who was handing out Nintendo themed erasers, Wii U pins, and AR cards for loads of games.  Going to be a long two weeks!  

#36 gatordeve86

gatordeve86

CAG Master

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:21 AM

That, or he's desperately trying to figure out how to get the gamepad in his mouth.

haha he had the gamepad down it was just easier for him to see both screens holding it like that

Gator%20Deve%2086.jpg

Currently Playing:

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8

#37 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:59 AM

The original Mario Kart blew my mind as a little kid. I can't imagine if mk8 came out when I was that age.

I was joking.
Posted Image

#38 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

2 Gamestops so far and no poster.  Also I was at a store around 5pm, and I asked if they even had the demo, I saw the Wii U display off, and the dude said that they got it, but they were told to turn it off after 4pm.   -_-

Cause that makes sense, I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want lots and lots of people to try out the game.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#39 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

I was joking.

And I was serious.

I need to put the winking emoticon in my posts more often.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#40 DetectiveConanA113

DetectiveConanA113

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

2 Gamestops so far and no poster. Also I was at a store around 5pm, and I asked if they even had the demo, I saw the Wii U display off, and the dude said that they got it, but they were told to turn it off after 4pm. -_-

Cause that makes sense, I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want lots and lots of people to try out the game.

To be fair: the demo event page does say from 12-4pm.

#41 io

io

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

1. I cant print a poster on a piece of paper maybe you can. 2. yes I did my wii u has sat in a drawer for months so I will wait till mk8 is cheaper and a reason to play u

This is one of those games that is unlikely ever to get cheaper. How much has the Wii Mario Kart been on sale? I think the answer is not very often, if at all, other than in general B2G1 type deals. It is still $50 MSRP to this day.

So it would be pretty stupid not to get it now and also get the free game that comes along with it for registering it before the end of July. I traded my Pikmin 3 in to Gamestop for just over $40 with the 50% bonus a few weeks back which pays for a good chunk of Mario Kart and I'll get Pikmin 3 back in digital form.

As an aside, I didn't go for the Best Buy deal because I'd rather pay in GS credit than in real money at Best Buy even with the GCU discount and $10 gas card. I'd be doing it that way even without the poster offer, which I have little use for. Still, I need to make sure I get one ;). So it is at pickup then? I might head in there tomorrow and ask. I was right next to the store I preordered at today but I didn't know about the preview event or I would have stopped in. I even had my kids with me.

#42 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

I did the same exact thing with pikmin 3. I guess I should have mentioned that my xbox 360 slim ac adapter trade in wouldn't get the 50% bonus like pikmin, so I got the 30% bonus by putting it towards mk8.

The only problem is that I'm not sure if the digital pikmin 3 will run off of a flash drive. I still need to buy an external hdd for my wii u. The internal hdd is full.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#43 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

and here I thought the AWD PS4 thread was the deal.of the year....

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#44 FloriDUH JBot

FloriDUH JBot

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

I don't see on the promo page where it says the event is limited from 12-4pm

#45 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

This is one of those games that is unlikely ever to get cheaper. How much has the Wii Mario Kart been on sale? I think the answer is not very often, if at all, other than in general B2G1 type deals. It is still $50 MSRP to this day.So it would be pretty stupid not to get it now and also get the free game that comes along with it for registering it before the end of July. I traded my Pikmin 3 in to Gamestop for just over $40 with the 50% bonus a few weeks back which pays for a good chunk of Mario Kart and I'll get Pikmin 3 back in digital form.As an aside, I didn't go for the Best Buy deal because I'd rather pay in GS credit than in real money at Best Buy even with the GCU discount and $10 gas card. I'd be doing it that way even without the poster offer, which I have little use for. Still, I need to make sure I get one ;). So it is at pickup then? I might head in there tomorrow and ask. I was right next to the store I preordered at today but I didn't know about the preview event or I would have stopped in. I even had my kids with me.

Absolutely correct. Mario Kart DS has been out for over eight years and is still the same MSRP.

#46 tcleary

tcleary

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

you can get mario kard ds for around $10 used and I've seen mario kart wii for $20 at best buy (used) nintendo games do hold value pretty well though.  double dash still goes for $30-35.  I really was not much of a mario kart player but recently assembled an 8 gamecube LAN for 16 player double dash which renewed my interest in the series.  I'm playing 7 on a 2ds in anticipation for 8.  

#47 Confidance

Confidance

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

I left that demo on all day since 11 am CST and it was crazy. Nintendo sent me 0 posters so I'll just hold my subsequent shipment for my Saturday pre-orders when they pick up.

#48 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RAPADOOOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

I went out to my local GS with my daughter and got to play a few rounds. The rep was super nice and showered us with swag. Game plays and looks phenomenal. Still getting it from BB with GCU though, sorry 'bout it GS. $22 > poster, and the reward points are worth more.

#49 DetectiveConanA113

DetectiveConanA113

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

I don't see on the promo page where it says the event is limited from 12-4pm

It's not on the gamestop location page, which failed to make it clear, it's on the official promo page at Nintendo.com http://www.nintendo....LVL2i8eScTp3QjB

Jealous of you guys who got swag. None of my GameStop's gave anything out & that's really all I went for.

#50 batman1939

batman1939

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:27 AM

2 Gamestops so far and no poster.  Also I was at a store around 5pm, and I asked if they even had the demo, I saw the Wii U display off, and the dude said that they got it, but they were told to turn it off after 4pm.   -_-

I got there at around 5pm and the demo was still on. My son (6 years old) played a 10-12 year old kid and lost. Kid tells my son winner plays again loser has to get back in line. So I played next and smoked that fool.

#51 OldSchoolGaming4Life

OldSchoolGaming4Life

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

What kind of swag did people get at this demo? I couldn't go either day due to family obligations :(

3DS FC: 1375-7268-6996
NNID: OldSchoolGaming
PSN: C90sRetroGaming
Youtube: http://www.youtube.c...hoolGaming4Life

GameFaq's: 90sRetroGaming
Feel free to add me! PM or comment on my page to add! :)

#52 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RAPADOOOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

What kind of swag did people get at this demo? I couldn't go either day due to family obligations :(

We got Kirby TD erasers, a Disney Magical World calendar, a Paper Mario SS sticker book, a Mario 3D World sticker sheet, and a Mario Kart 8 checkered flag. Nothing major but my kids love them.

#53 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

This is one of those games that is unlikely ever to get cheaper. How much has the Wii Mario Kart been on sale? I think the answer is not very often, if at all, other than in general B2G1 type deals. It is still $50 MSRP to this day.

So it would be pretty stupid not to get it now and also get the free game that comes along with it for registering it before the end of July. I traded my Pikmin 3 in to Gamestop for just over $40 with the 50% bonus a few weeks back which pays for a good chunk of Mario Kart and I'll get Pikmin 3 back in digital form.

As an aside, I didn't go for the Best Buy deal because I'd rather pay in GS credit than in real money at Best Buy even with the GCU discount and $10 gas card. I'd be doing it that way even without the poster offer, which I have little use for. Still, I need to make sure I get one ;). So it is at pickup then? I might head in there tomorrow and ask. I was right next to the store I preordered at today but I didn't know about the preview event or I would have stopped in. I even had my kids with me.

..........http://www.amazon.co...=Mario Kart Wii

http://backloggery.c...p?user=rcerboss
Interested in trading Steam Games. I have extra keys for Ship, Machinarium, Sword and Sworcery, Cave Story +, and more Desura games tha I can list ;)

PM me to add me to PSN, Steam, WiiU, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!

#54 io

io

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

..........http://www.amazon.co...=Mario Kart Wii

And I counter with this (which was the link I checked before making my post - sorry I didn't do a comprehensive price search before posting):

http://www.gamestop....o-kart-wii/5691

But that is all beside the point. How long has the Wii Mario Kart been out? 6 years? (edit: my guess was spot on - it came out in April 2008) If you want to wait that long for Mario Kart 8 to be $20-$25 cheaper, go for it. In the mean time you lose out on the free (currently $60 valued) game that comes along with it. Remember this was all in response to someone who cancelled his preorder over the poster at GS and said he'd wait for it to get cheap instead.

The original post said "my wii u has sat in a drawer for months so I will wait till mk8 is cheaper and a reason to play u". My point is that it will be years, if ever, for it to get significantly cheaper. Of course in several months there will be lots of used copies available and via various coupons/sales, you can probably get it relatively cheap. Still, I think it is a mistake to pass up the free download game you get by registering MK8 before end of July.

And anyway, if you aren't going to splurge for the occasional "full price" Nintendo game for your Wii U, you might as well sell the thing as that is pretty much what it is good for. And I put that in quotes because of course there are cheaper ways to get it than by paying $60 cash: $48 via GCU + $10 gas card at BBY, $60 but via cheap credit at GS, etc. So any decent CAG is not paying $60 anyway. That's even more reason it is a waste of time to wait for it get cheaper.

#55 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

And I counter with this (which was the link I checked before making my post - sorry I didn't do a comprehensive price search before posting):

http://www.gamestop....o-kart-wii/5691

But that is all beside the point. How long has the Wii Mario Kart been out? 6 years? (edit: my guess was spot on - it came out in April 2008) If you want to wait that long for Mario Kart 8 to be $20-$25 cheaper, go for it. In the mean time you lose out on the free (currently $60 valued) game that comes along with it. Remember this was all in response to someone who cancelled his preorder over the poster at GS and said he'd wait for it to get cheap instead.

The original post said "my wii u has sat in a drawer for months so I will wait till mk8 is cheaper and a reason to play u". My point is that it will be years, if ever, for it to get significantly cheaper. Of course in several months there will be lots of used copies available and via various coupons/sales, you can probably get it relatively cheap. Still, I think it is a mistake to pass up the free download game you get by registering MK8 before end of July.

And anyway, if you aren't going to splurge for the occasional "full price" Nintendo game for your Wii U, you might as well sell the thing as that is pretty much what it is good for. And I put that in quotes because of course there are cheaper ways to get it than by paying $60 cash: $48 via GCU + $10 gas card at BBY, $60 but via cheap credit at GS, etc. So any decent CAG is not paying $60 anyway. That's even more reason it is a waste of time to wait for it get cheaper.

http://camelcamelcam...?context=browse

I don't think it records price before 2012, but the point is that there are several places where Mario Kart Wii has been cheap for quite awhile now.  Just because Gamestop (which btw is a very old page; notice how it doesn't even have a link to check local stores) or Wal-Mart won't lower the price doesn't mean jack squat to anybody who knows the first thing about shopping.  FWIW I bought Mario Kart Wii for $15 (new) sometime in 2010.  Even if you factor in that was a $5 off coupon, it was still on sale for $20 new, and I know for certain there was a similar sale that I missed out on before that, and a couple more after.  And that was for Wii, which was flying off the shelves, not WiiU, which barely moves at all.  I know sales for these titles aren't as common as many others but they do happen.... with the exception of my day 1 purchases, I haven't paid over $35 for a single Nintendo title in over 5 years (since I bought my first copy of Mario Kart Wii in fact, ROFL), and I own most of the notable titles.

I doubt very seriously that it won't drop to at least $40 at least once or twice before Xmas, if not lower than that.  Unless all the fanboys are right and somehow this iteration of Mario Kart is gonna move a billion WiiU's.... which I doubt very seriously.  It's Mario Kart, same as it ever was, but without the new innovation of the motion controls or the online gameplay system.  It's just not that big a deal.  I guess it all comes down to how much that free game code that comes with it is worth to you, and what preorder bonuses you get?  I sure as hell wouldn't cancel over a shitty poster (though I would move my pre-order to Best Buy or something).  But it's not unreasonable to think he can score this game cheaper later on, especially if he's not up for the hassle of selling a digital game code.

Interested in trading Steam Games. I have extra keys for Ship, Machinarium, Sword and Sworcery, Cave Story +, and more Desura games tha I can list ;)

#56 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

All this debate over a poster...lol.

Want to get in on a FREE HDTV or $440 cash?  Join the Conga Line fun right here through CAG! 

http://www.cheapassg...-in-on-the-fun/

#57 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

My store still had the demo up today, but I swear the moment someone got off, someone else hopped on.

Either way looks amazing, day 1 for me
Posted ImagePosted Image

#58 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

All this debate over a poster...lol.

I think the poster is ugly as hell, but I know firsthand how infuriating it can be when Gamestop tries to screw you out of a pre-order bonus.  I certainly wouldn't tolerate it, and demanding a refund on a pre-order and threatening to call a district manager is the only thing that's worked for me in the past.  And, if by some ginourmous gargantuan miracle, Mario Kart 8 was unavailable everywhere else and it means I'd have to wait, so be it.  You can't let these asshats walk all over you like that.

#59 io

io

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

I'm not even sure what the issue was about the poster. At the store I preordered we went back there Sunday and played the game. They said they haven't yet gotten any posters and most likely they'll have them when the games come in. That is the way it usually works. Even if I don't get the poster, it's no big deal. I would have preferred something else (anything, really, besides a poster) as a preorder extra but when I preordered a month or two ago GS was offering nothing so it is all a bonus at this point.

#60 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'm someone who has mastered waiting forever to buy a game because of price/backlog, but first party Nintendo games (the good ones, anyway) are a bit of an exception. You aren't going to save that much money long-term. I just paid $15 for Mario Kart DS (the lowest I could find by far that was in good-very good condition), and bit the bullet and bought NSMB for $25 new because by the time you factored in shipping, it was a competitive price.