Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2 years $60 (50% discount)

• Please log in to reply
522 replies to this topic

#511 BNoyes

BNoyes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 04:59 PM

Any chance they'll ever do an online sign up for this?  I just can't bring myself to physically enter a Best Buy.

#512 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 05:08 PM

Oh its MUCH worse than that.  DO NOT attempt to use GCU on BestBuy.com.  In fact, don't ever shop at BesBuy.com.  GCU is great for IN STORE ONLY.  Here is my story:

As a hardcore game buyer and brand new GCU member, I couldn't wait to pre-order all the games talked about at E3 this year with the 20% credit.  I placed about 16 preorders online on BB.com with my GCU discount.  All for different items, mind you.  Well, even though I had had no problems in the past with canceled orders or billing issues with pre-orders before getting GCU, and even though I used the same BB credit card, billing address, etc. as I always had, all 16 orders developed "billing errors" after first going through just fine, and all ended up getting canceled.  Phone support was zero help, they couldn't figure it out.  Online support was apologetic and said IT support was looking into the issue and eventually resolved it, but it kept happening.  A complete waste of time, and I even lost some reward certs and giftcards, which to their credit their online support reimbursed me for. CC company said absolutely nothing was wrong with my card.

So from now on, I am only using GCU in store, and putting all my pre-orders in store at the kiosk and paying the $5 deposit.  So far this is working, but already BB has shown further incompetence, in terms of missing preorder codes, flaky touchscreens on their preorder kiosks, ancient billing addresses popping up during checkout and the cashier refusing me to let me hit the "Incorrect" button because she's too lazy to fix it and telling me to fix it online when its already correct online.

If this $60 GCU program wasn't saving me hundreds over the next two years, I'd never shop at BB again.

#513 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 05:10 PM

Any chance they'll ever do an online sign up for this?  I just can't bring myself to physically enter a Best Buy.

No. And see my above post.  The store is the only way you can guarantee a pre-order correctly, in addition to be the only way to sign up.  They want to drive physical foot traffic to their stores.

#514 CaseX

CaseX

Posted Today, 05:21 PM

Ummmm....I think this is probably YMMV.  I've always pre-ordered online.  Never in-store.  I have never had a bad problem.  I might have to bug them about the $10 cert if I don't see it after 15 days, but that's about it.  Never had an order cancelled. 

#515 Konfusion

Konfusion

Bleeding Purple and Black

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 05:31 PM

I've never had a problem with online preorders, but I've never had 16 at one time.

I've actually had my GCU discount not show up on multiple occasions when buying games in the store and I know that has happened to a friend of mine also. I usually just do an online order and choose store pickup to avoid any complications. I also do online order with store pickup for my preorders.

OrganizedChaos11.png

#516 eXTechno

eXTechno

Posted Today, 05:37 PM

In a surprisingly quick turn around, they sent me another message yesterday and said they got more welcome packets in and sent a link to the coupons.

I have yet to get any welcome coupons when I bought GCU back in June or something

#517 Mista Freeze

Mista Freeze

Posted Today, 07:44 PM

I just have a quick question since this thread still has active memebers. How often does Best Buy run a sale on the GCU? I missed out on this one and found it when researching if I should get an account vs Gamestop PowerUp Rewards card. Hopefully they run it again before Black Friday rolls around. Thanks in advance.

#518 lilbuddy

lilbuddy

Posted Today, 09:17 PM

Oh its MUCH worse than that. DO NOT attempt to use GCU on BestBuy.com. In fact, don't ever shop at BesBuy.com. GCU is great for IN STORE ONLY. Here is my story:

As a hardcore game buyer and brand new GCU member, I couldn't wait to pre-order all the games talked about at E3 this year with the 20% credit. I placed about 16 preorders online on BB.com with my GCU discount. All for different items, mind you. Well, even though I had had no problems in the past with canceled orders or billing issues with pre-orders before getting GCU, and even though I used the same BB credit card, billing address, etc. as I always had, all 16 orders developed "billing errors" after first going through just fine, and all ended up getting canceled. Phone support was zero help, they couldn't figure it out. Online support was apologetic and said IT support was looking into the issue and eventually resolved it, but it kept happening. A complete waste of time, and I even lost some reward certs and giftcards, which to their credit their online support reimbursed me for. CC company said absolutely nothing was wrong with my card.

So from now on, I am only using GCU in store, and putting all my pre-orders in store at the kiosk and paying the $5 deposit. So far this is working, but already BB has shown further incompetence, in terms of missing preorder codes, flaky touchscreens on their preorder kiosks, ancient billing addresses popping up during checkout and the cashier refusing me to let me hit the "Incorrect" button because she's too lazy to fix it and telling me to fix it online when its already correct online.

If this $60 GCU program wasn't saving me hundreds over the next two years, I'd never shop at BB again.

Happens to me, it's from fraud alert. They send a text and I hit it's ok and they all go through.

Credit card company looks for unusual activity like 16 orders for the same amount.

#519 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 09:21 PM

Ummmm....I think this is probably YMMV.  I've always pre-ordered online.  Never in-store.  I have never had a bad problem.  I might have to bug them about the $10 cert if I don't see it after 15 days, but that's about it.  Never had an order cancelled. 

I'm not sure I ever got my $10 cert for South Park. Is there an easy way to check if a $10 cert was specifically a preorder cert?

www.bighugenerd.com

#520 CaseX

CaseX

Posted Today, 09:57 PM

I'm not sure I ever got my $10 cert for South Park. Is there an easy way to check if a $10 cert was specifically a preorder cert?

If you log in to the myBB site, check your points/purchase history.  Find the order; it's sorted by when you made the order (not the game's release date).  Click the plus sign to the left and it will expand and show details of your points.  Should say something like "Victory Can Be Preordered Bonus   500" (the 500 is the points) if you got the preorder cert/pts.

#521 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 10:07 PM

Oh its MUCH worse than that.  DO NOT attempt to use GCU on BestBuy.com.  In fact, don't ever shop at BesBuy.com.  GCU is great for IN STORE ONLY.  Here is my story:

As a hardcore game buyer and brand new GCU member, I couldn't wait to pre-order all the games talked about at E3 this year with the 20% credit.  I placed about 16 preorders online on BB.com with my GCU discount.  All for different items, mind you.  Well, even though I had had no problems in the past with canceled orders or billing issues with pre-orders before getting GCU, and even though I used the same BB credit card, billing address, etc. as I always had, all 16 orders developed "billing errors" after first going through just fine, and all ended up getting canceled.  Phone support was zero help, they couldn't figure it out.  Online support was apologetic and said IT support was looking into the issue and eventually resolved it, but it kept happening.  A complete waste of time, and I even lost some reward certs and giftcards, which to their credit their online support reimbursed me for. CC company said absolutely nothing was wrong with my card.

So from now on, I am only using GCU in store, and putting all my pre-orders in store at the kiosk and paying the $5 deposit.  So far this is working, but already BB has shown further incompetence, in terms of missing preorder codes, flaky touchscreens on their preorder kiosks, ancient billing addresses popping up during checkout and the cashier refusing me to let me hit the "Incorrect" button because she's too lazy to fix it and telling me to fix it online when its already correct online.

Yes, I feel the same way about Sony TVs. My Sony TV died, so therefore NOBODY EVER BUY A SONY TV EVER AGAIN! EVA! 

Seriously, dude. We're sorry you had a bad experience, but I've bought probably over 100 games now with GCU, and never had a single issue online.

www.bighugenerd.com

#522 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 10:11 PM

If you log in to the myBB site, check your points/purchase history.  Find the order; it's sorted by when you made the order (not the game's release date).  Click the plus sign to the left and it will expand and show details of your points.  Should say something like "Victory Can Be Preordered Bonus   500" (the 500 is the points) if you got the preorder cert/pts.

Thank you. Will check when Best Buy is working. Currently it can't display my rewards info. Boo!

www.bighugenerd.com

#523 inky1600

inky1600

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted Today, 10:20 PM

I've never had a problem with online preorders, but I've never had 16 at one time.

I've actually had my GCU discount not show up on multiple occasions when buying games in the store and I know that has happened to a friend of mine also. I usually just do an online order and choose store pickup to avoid any complications. I also do online order with store pickup for my preorders.

Precisely this for me as well. Never had an issue with online preorder s either for shipping or pick up. Yet getting the discount in store is hit or miss. Lately I've been waiting to have them scan my card after totalling and that seems to work good. When they've scanned it first its a toss up go figure