need a free LAN messenger software

boneless

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
I used to use MSN messenger until they change to skype and have been using squiggle but I have problems installing or recognizing other comps on the network. I've been using LAN messenger which works pretty well except it doesn't popup the message on top of other windows even though I selected it in the preferences. All it does is flash for a few seconds on the taskbar and then only stay highlighted. 

I need a program for IM like messenger but pops up on top of other windows when a IM is received even if it's a reply and not just the initial IM if the window is left open.

There is a way to configure xchat for lan messaging only but I've not done it in a bit. Have you tried LanTalk? Or SeeMePlayMe? Softros?

I know there is way to make telnet do it but it's been years since I fucked with it.

Pidgin might be able to do what you want
Thanks for the reply. I worked out the bugs with LAN messenger

http://lanmsngr.sourceforge.net/

Seems that all clients eventually get recognized and more consistently after running the program for awhile. I figured out how to get the popups so I think everything's working well now. Tried pidgin but didn't like it for some reason. LAN messenger is my favorite now.

bread's done
Back