• Please log in to reply
454 replies to this topic

#1 BryanDGAF

BryanDGAF

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

http://www.bestbuy.c...cat332400050002

Feel free to delete the thread if deemed unnecessary.

During E3, Nintendo will have participating Best Buy stores have a playable demo for Smash Bros. The first 70 people that decide to pre-order will  receive a rare collectible Super Smash Bros. gold coin (one per customer, while supplies last). You will also get a $5 My Best Buy™

I will play as Ridley. Who will you play as?

#2 Kitoro

Kitoro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

I'll main Dixie Kong, then! So hyped for this game! Will we get a $5 certificate for pre-ordering both versions of the game?

#3 Kitoro

Kitoro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

Also, the locations hosting the event are very far from any of the Best Buy locations I'd pre-order from. I wonder if I'd have to drive out to that same location to pick it up.

This doesn't appear to be very well explained or thought out. Sure, I'll drive an hour and change to play it and pre-order it for the coin, but I'd rather go to the Best Buy within walking distance of my house to pick it up on both occasions for each platform for the $5 bonus.

#4 BryanDGAF

BryanDGAF

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

I'll main Dixie Kong, then! So hyped for this game! Will we get a $5 certificate for pre-ordering both versions of the game?

interesting question. It doesn't include the game in the pre-order deal section. Maybe it is its own little promotion for the time being. 

#5 B:L

B:L

twitch.tv/BLbeel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

You'd think they would have picked out more stores in Southern California.

Costa Mesa or Culver City, dang far options.

#6 R4L

R4L

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

Wow they're actually going to have it in Murrieta!? Sweet :)

#7 Kitoro

Kitoro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

You'd think they would have picked out more stores in Southern California.

Costa Mesa or Culver City, dang far options.

Yeah. I live in Ventura County, so I'll check out the Culver City store, but I likely won't drive back there two more times to pick the games up as they release.

#8 PantsuRaid

PantsuRaid

nyanpantsu~

• CAG in Training

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

Welp, I guess I'm going to Mira Mesa. I might be one of the only few, but I'm going to pre-order both 3DS and Wii U version. Will I get $5 for both? I assume both have to be in-store pickup to qualify for that.

#9 Kitoro

Kitoro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

I don't even know if Best Buy's pre-order infrastructure can handle the ability to offer specific offers to specific store pre-orders in a specific time frame.

I have a feeling as long as the game is pre-ordered in any Best Buy location during those demo time periods, they'll be eligible for the $5 bonus, but who knows for sure?

#10 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

My wallet is ready.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

YES YES YES They're holding one at my local BB, and I'll have plenty of time to line up after work. Totally doing this; thanks OP! E3 week is going to be nuts.

#11 markbrochilll

markbrochilll

The Master Sword

• CAG Veteran

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

No stores within 100 miles of Buffalo... wtf. Sounds like the $5 credit is for demo stores only too. Gimme another gas card and maybe i'll drive to a PA demo.

#12 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

Ugh, since I'll be in Atlanta I'm sure the closest one would be crowded as all hell.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

what is this gold coin? I assume they mail it to you? or is it 70 per store or what?

#14 Francision

Francision

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Yay! The Costa Mesa store is like 10 minutes walking distance from me so this is perfect. Definitely preordering this since I also get that 20% off GCU thing. Awesome deal.

Posted Image

#15 gatordeve86

gatordeve86

CAG Master

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

i'm befuddled by these PA locations... I was hoping one would be near be but there are only 3... Erie, Whitehall (near Allentown) and Century (which i have never heard of and apparently neither has google)

Gator%20Deve%2086.jpg

Currently Playing:

:xb1: Diablo III

:xb1: Madden 15

#16 argyle

argyle

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

Good job Nintendo!  I'm predicting now that whatever special promo they do for the next Mario will only be available in Alaska.   :roll:

Posted Image

#17 SMBScooby

SMBScooby

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hope they give them out at E3 since I will there on Wednesday.

#18 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Yay Mishawaka IN will have it. I wonder how early I should get there :/

#19 OldSchoolGaming4Life

OldSchoolGaming4Life

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

No stores within 100 miles of Buffalo... wtf. Sounds like the $5 credit is for demo stores only too. Gimme another gas card and maybe i'll drive to a PA demo.

:wave:

Not in Buffalo but somewhat close. Hello neighbor! xD  :wave: 

Also, what is the point of limiting these demos and this certain promotion to certain stores per state? It's fucking Smash Bros!!! What the hell were these fools thinking?!?!? They did the very same shit last year with the MK8, WWHD, DKC:TF and SM3DW demos...

3DS FC: 1375-7268-6996
NNID: OldSchoolGaming
PSN: C90sRetroGaming
Youtube: http://www.youtube.c...hoolGaming4Life

GameFaq's: 90sRetroGaming
Feel free to add me! PM or comment on my page to add! :)

#20 whodoneit

whodoneit

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Ugh, since I'll be in Atlanta I'm sure the closest one would be crowded as all hell.

Ill be in atlanta that week too. I remember the e3 event best buy had last year & it was all but dead. So you should be fine 

#21 EricXC

EricXC

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

I'm legitimately surprised they don't have one near my area. Ah well, just a 1 hour drive.

#22 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

Looks like Manchester is the only NH Best Buy participating in this.

Is it the first 70 people total or per store?

Garrus_Lannister.png

#23 Triatacon

Triatacon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

Wow. The Best Buy closest to me is actually participating in this. Tempting...

#24 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

By gold coin, I'm guessing you mean some plastic crap painted gold.... am I right?

Doesn't really matter.... last year's e3 "event" was a joke anyways.  I know that in several states, including mine, Nintendo decided not to host "events" at any Best Buy near any of the bigger cities (like our state capital for instance), instead opting to host the events in tinyass hick towns that are hours away from anything. Because apparently the goal of these demoes was to have as few people play them as possible.  

And according to the BB link, my state isn't even getting anything at all this year.  Fantastic work Nintendo.

While we are on the topic of bullshit, I like how these games already have 5 star ratings and reviews.  It must be great to be able to travel that far into the future  :???:

Just as well I guess.... this figurine bullshit has me thinking twice on buying what would've otherwise been a Day 1 purchase for me.  Until they elaborate on what uses they will have, and convince me that this isn't their way of overcharging for DLC that should be free, I'm not putting any money down.  Not even for a plastic "gold" coin.

http://backloggery.c...p?user=rcerboss
Interested in trading Steam Games. I have extra keys for Ship, Machinarium, Sword and Sworcery, Cave Story +, and more Desura games tha I can list ;)

PM me to add me to PSN, Steam, WiiU, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!

#25 letskissthesky

letskissthesky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

nevermind*

Posted Image

#26 PAULINK

PAULINK

Woah, I can edit this?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Dude, Thank you for this thread, I now know where the event is going to be. I already have this pre-ordered at gamestop but I will drop $5 just for a golden coin :D

Posted Image

#27 ConkerFun

ConkerFun

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

Wow nothing in NYC. I'm surprised. I wonder if the coin is as useless as the Super Mario Galaxy coin. I thought that was gonna be rare.

#28 lilbuddy

lilbuddy

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Nice, 3 stores with 10 minutes of me!

#29 cbellevie

cbellevie

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

By gold coin, I'm guessing you mean some plastic crap painted gold.... am I right?

The gold coin they had for Luigi at the E3 events last year were very nice, metal coins. They were very popular. You can see pictures of them on Ebay. I would think that the coins this year would be the same sort of thing.

#30 rcerboss

rcerboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

The gold coin they had for Luigi at the E3 events last year were very nice, metal coins. They were very popular. You can see pictures of them on Ebay. I would think that the coins this year would be the same sort of thing.

Wow nothing in NYC. I'm surprised. I wonder if the coin is as useless as the Super Mario Galaxy coin. I thought that was gonna be rare.

Rare =/= Valuable.  That's the 1st mistake "collectors" often make.  I think I'd classify the Galaxy coin as rare, but it's hardly valuable.

I mean really.... it's a coin.  Most of the people buying/selling them are only doing so because of some false sense of resell/value.  I still haven't been told one way or the other, but it's likely a plastic coin, or at best some cheap metal.  It may be a neat little trinket if it looks cool, but really, these asshats on ebay thinking they can move this crap for $1000, or even $100, need a serious reality check. 

I'd like one for $5, if for no other reason than the fact that I've got a drawer full of coins and a healthy Two-Face obsession lol.  But it's always funny when people think they are gonna make any worthwhile money on these things.

I've never heard of this Luigi coin, I'd imagine it's the same situation?

http://backloggery.c...p?user=rcerboss
Interested in trading Steam Games. I have extra keys for Ship, Machinarium, Sword and Sworcery, Cave Story +, and more Desura games tha I can list ;)

PM me to add me to PSN, Steam, WiiU, or 3DS. Always up for a Brawl matchup too!