50% Extra Credit When You Trade Any System Towards a New PS4 or Xbox One.

kmoyer21886

CAG Newbie
So it looks like gamestop is giving 50% more trade in towards the purchase of a xbox one or ps4.  Any idea on the tivs as it relates towards trading an xbox 1 or ps4 towards the same or similar next gen console?  The values now are 344.50 and don't include any promotion inflated value I believe.  Could it be possible they are giving 344.50 x 50% (172.50)=517?  Wouldn't that be nice!

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/trade-in

The asterisk by the words "Promotional Trade Value" means something - so when you read further down, it says thats with the extra 30% bonus towards certain games.

So your theory will not work.

The asterisk by the words "Promotional Trade Value" means something - so when you read further down, it says thats with the extra 30% bonus towards certain games.

So your theory will not work.
That 30/40% Promo only applies towards games and accessories so I don't see how the console values could include a 30% promo when one doesn't directly exist towards consoles.

not sure - but the 30% is applied to those values:

*30% Extra In-Store Credit: Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade subject to manager approval. Offer valid only towards items normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No Dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice. PowerUp Rewards Pro 10% extra in-store credit applies only when trading games and accessories. It does not apply to the trade of systems or consumer electronics. 

CAG to do list 6/2/14

Go in today when they open and ask the TIV of a PS4 is same as on site.

Buy a PS4 for $424 (6% tax) and walk outside.

Stash the box and junk in trunk and take console back inside with a smile.

Trade it in for a new PS4 and $116 GC (no tax on credit purchase).

Get told to beat it no more consoles for you. 

Go to Gamestop across town.

Trade last bought PS4 for a new PS4 and $116 GC (no tax on credit purchase).

Pile all the PS4 boxes in passenger seat and as you drive around town annouce around crowded areas that you have free PS4's then throw a box out and watch the mayhem.

Gamestop will either have to drop the base values before store opening or they will have a tough time explaining how the ps4 or xb1 base value of 344.50 already includes a 30/40% mark up because there is not one trade promotion for console going on.   While it does say on the trade page (values include 40% promotion), that promo does not apply to consoles.  This should be interesting.

CAG to do list 6/2/14

Go in today when they open and ask the TIV of a PS4 is same as on site.

Buy a PS4 for $424 (6% tax) and walk outside.

Get told to beat it no more consoles for you.

Go to Gamestop across town.

Trade last bought PS4 for a new PS4 and $116 GC (no tax on credit purchase).

Pile all the PS4 boxes in passenger seat and as you drive around town annouce around crowded areas that you have free PS4's then throw a box out and watch the mayhem.
You Sir are worse than Hitler :)

Gamestop will either have to drop the base values before store opening or they will have a tough time explaining how the ps4 or xb1 base value of 344.50 already includes a 30/40% mark up because there is not one trade promotion for console going on. While it does say on the trade page (values include 40% promotion), that promo does not apply to consoles. This should be interesting.
The small print says the value includes 30% - doesnt say what for...so you wont win that argument.

Gamestop will either have to drop the base values before store opening or they will have a tough time explaining how the ps4 or xb1 base value of 344.50 already includes a 30/40% mark up because there is not one trade promotion for console going on. While it does say on the trade page (values include 40% promotion), that promo does not apply to consoles. This should be interesting.
Don't listen to them they are the man and just trying to hold you down. Empty your trunk and get ready for $$$$$$$

Ok this is the 30/40% promotion - 

Receive up to 40% extra in-store credit when you trade any games or accessories toward anything featured at E3.

How are they going to say the console values include this promo when this doesn't include consoles and there is no 30% promotion going on that does apply to consoles?  Gamestop dropped the ball.

Looks like promos changed today - maybe they havent changed their verbiage on the featured values.

Try to get 50% on the 344.50 and report back - would love to hear the news.

Nah, this promo has been there before and the trade prices online show a 30%. So the Xbone's trade in value really is $265. With the 50% promo, you'll get $397.50. But if any of you are in doubt, just call and ask for the trade in value of whatever console; they'll tell you over the phone and you can just add the 50%.

It's just a nice way to confuse ppl and get them to come in to the store. I'm sure some ppl just end up trading their console regardless just because they made it that far. Marketing tactics!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good promotion if you want to upgrade to next gen, or regret your next gen console of choice. After eBay fees and shipping+hassle this would be a better idea, then selling on their and Craigslist is YMMV dangerous as hell.

I really need to get rid of one of my Xbox 360s, but I don't want to deal with Gamestop.

Question, guys: what would be worth more The Halo Reach edition Xbox 360 S or the Final Fantasy XIII bundle Xbox 360?

I figure I'll keep the system that's worth less.

I really need to get rid of one of my Xbox 360s, but I don't want to deal with Gamestop.

Question, guys: what would be worth more The Halo Reach edition Xbox 360 S or the Final Fantasy XIII bundle Xbox 360?

I figure I'll keep the system that's worth less.
I assume the Halo Edition would be since it's a slim console, that being said I don't think it being a limited edition console adds to the value.

So what's the final verdict on an Xbox one trade in. I want to trade the one with bf4, Titanfall, and watch dogs in hopes of getting ps4 and a game or two.

I assume the Halo Edition would be since it's a slim console, that being said I don't think it being a limited edition console adds to the value.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards keeping the "classic" system as well. Cool. I'll probably bundle it up with a few games and controllers and list it on eBay later in the year.

Yea it's 390 something you get back.  I didn't realize gamestop built in an automatic 30% credit for consoles that doesn't appear as an active trade offer.  Very deceptive.  Still better then the 344.50, about a 53+ shift.

However it will allow someone to trade in a used ps4 for a new ps4 for $2.50 but when you count the 8k rewards points its free assuming you're in a state that counts trade credit against sales tax.

Xbox 360 250gb slim base - 60

Xbox 360 320gb slim base - 100

So it's actually worth it to keep your 250gb HD and upgrade to a 320gb if trading in because it's 90 vs 150 after the promo.  Per the GS employee the hard drive MUST be microsoft OEM to get the full trade value.

I will say I've never seen them pull a HD to check its authenticity.

I traded in my AWD very good :pS4: for $397.50, :pS4: wired headset for $2.75 and :pS4: Watch Dogs for 42.70.

I was going to pre-order the $399 Xbox One, but I ended up getting the $500 one...the box has the sticker that states Forza full game download included

Yea it's 390 something you get back. I didn't realize gamestop built in an automatic 30% credit for consoles that doesn't appear as an active trade offer. Very deceptive. Still better then the 344.50, about a 53+ shift.

However it will allow someone to trade in a used ps4 for a new ps4 for $2.50 but when you count the 8k rewards points its free assuming you're in a state that counts trade credit against sales tax.

Xbox 360 250gb slim base - 60

Xbox 360 320gb slim base - 100

So it's actually worth it to keep your 250gb HD and upgrade to a 320gb if trading in because it's 90 vs 150 after the promo. Per the GS employee the hard drive MUST be microsoft OEM to get the full trade value.

I will say I've never seen them pull a HD to check its authenticity.
Never trust what a gamestop employee tells you. Ever

How much of a process is it to transfer over PS4 saves/PS+ games? Thinking of trading my launch unit towards a new one at GS to extend my warranty.

I have a 360 Elite console that I got way back when it launched, any idea what I could get with that? Haven't touched it in forever. Also is there anyone that can tell me what has to be traded in with the 360 for it to be considered acceptable for trade-in? Like if the HDD has to be included... I'd like to salvage it and use it for something else.

How much of a process is it to transfer over PS4 saves/PS+ games? Thinking of trading my launch unit towards a new one at GS to extend my warranty.
If you enabled PS+ cloud saves, you should be fine since you can also redownload your digital games from PSN. However, you should unlink/deactivate your account on the PS4 before trading it in since it still counts toward the limit of how many consoles can have that one account on it. Though the wait time for downloading them again is another story.

If you enabled PS+ cloud saves, you should be fine since you can also redownload your digital games from PSN. However, you should unlink/deactivate your account on the PS4 before trading it in since it still counts toward the limit of how many consoles can have that one account on it. Though the wait time for downloading them again is another story.
Some games have their savegame files locked, with a 24h delay on when you can upload or download. When I added a 1TB HDD to my PS3 it took a few days to get everything back, but for the most part I uploaded my savegames to the cloud then downloaded them the next day. Some games, like the WWE games, have massive 3-4gb save files and they are locked, so those ones are not salvageable.

I traded in my AWD very good :pS4: for $397.50, :pS4: wired headset for $2.75 and :pS4: Watch Dogs for 42.70.

I was going to pre-order the $399 Xbox One, but I ended up getting the $500 one...the box has the sticker that states Forza full game download included
Sticker on the box means nothing. There should be a redemption code on your receipt. If it's not there, complain.

Sticker on the box means nothing. There should be a redemption code on your receipt. If it's not there, complain.
Are you sure? My receipt doesn't have a code...that's for sure. Now I'm thinking about not opening it and just wait for the Xbox One without the kinect to come out.

Are you sure? My receipt doesn't have a code...that's for sure. Now I'm thinking about not opening it and just wait for the Xbox One without the kinect to come out.
Unless they released a new bundle to retail, I'm sure. I've purchased and returned a few XB1's and Forza code has always been on the receipt.

Did the Gamestop employees give you a hard time when you returned those Xbox Ones?
Nope. I've been trading in cheap Craogslist and AWD consoles using the preorder and trade up promos for months. Employees love getting the PS4's in stock since they sell super fast and have great attach rates. The net effect on store numbers, even with the return, is good so they don't complain.

each xbox one I picked up today while trading in ps4's had the code printed on the receipt.
How many did you pick up? Lol

Well, if the code is not inside the box and I'm paying $100 extra solely for the Kinect, then I'm definitely exchanging it for the $399 one when it comes out.

Does Gamestop accept returns on opened consoles? Or should I just not bother opening to check?

How many did you pick up? Lol

Well, if the code is not inside the box and I'm paying $100 extra solely for the Kinect, then I'm definitely exchanging it for the $399 one when it comes out.

Does Gamestop accept returns on opened consoles? Or should I just not bother opening to check?
Don't open. Just call and ask. CSR probably forgot to scan a promo code to add it to the receipt.

Don't open. Just call and ask. CSR probably forgot to scan a promo code to add it to the receipt.
The store manager is the one that helped me with my trade and he said the code was inside the box. He also said that I needed Xbox Live to redeeem the code, which will be another expense.

The store manager is the one that helped me with my trade and he said the code was inside the box. He also said that I needed Xbox Live to redeeem the code, which will be another expense.
Ugh. Return it and zing him on the survey, unless you need to maintain a relationship there. That's total bull. You definitely don't need Live Gold to redeem the promotional code.

bread's done
Back