• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hey guys,

With the recent bundling of a few of these software programs, figured it'd be a good time to start a thread where us wanna be devs can talk to each other, discuss things, float ideas, help each other, etc.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#2 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:29 PM

I'll go first, I got RPG Maker to mess around with, but I don't really play too many RPGs, so my question - what makes a good RPG?  What makes a good combat system?

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#3 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

boobs and hipster themes like autism 

also add characters with horn rimmed glasses....make them unemployed writers too..

that should be a good start

#4 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

...so my question - what makes a good RPG?

Kart racing.
Kaneda! What do you see?

#5 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:47 PM

you take what i said...a large breasted girl with Autism, that's an unemployed writer...call it To Uranus and you'll be featured in indie bundles with people singing praises here

you dont even need combat...just a shitty story

#6 pasports31

pasports31

New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

any game with dumbasses in it is gold

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#7 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

I am going to make a Unity game this is just a huge flat space where you wander around until you starve to death.

#8 Waggles

Waggles

What the funk n waggle are you talkin' bout?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

I'm going to continue work on the Ride To Hell saga.

#9 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

I'm going to continue work on the Ride To Hell saga.

If you call it a saga again, King will sue you! Then you really will be a developer!

#10 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:21 AM

I'm going to make an RPG about making an indie game, getting it bundled in order to garner Greenlight votes, then change my game and claim that because it is new, no steam keys for you! The final battle will be with the internet nerds raging at me.

Coming to a bundle near you in 2014.

#11 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:22 AM

Make sure there are no relevant choices to make. Everyone just picks the choice that lets them see boobies anyway.

#12 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:23 AM

I'll go first, I got RPG Maker to mess around with, but I don't really play too many RPGs, so my question - what makes a good RPG?  What makes a good combat system?

My suggestion is to completely ignore things like mechanics, sound, graphics, etc. Come up with an overarching plot, then slowly fill in details, storyboard, then dialog. Once you have that, then it should be easy to decide on the combat system (traditional JRPG, ARPG, tactical RPG, etc) because it will be the one that most seems fitting.

#13 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:30 AM

TRPG/SRPG usually features a bigger cast, due to it having more party members. Normal turn based RPGs usually only has 3-4 members in a party. That might play a role in what you pick, since there's a lot of CAGs.

#14 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

It doesn't matter what game you make, I'm only in it for the dev drama.

Let me tell you two useful pieces of information...

#15 Kain

Kain

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:33 AM

I would say if you're going to make an RPG, the best thing would be to play a few and take away what you felt was the best part of the game you played.  For me, my absolute favorite is Final Fantasy 4, and the best thing about it is the storyline.  I've never been much of a big fan when it comes to combat, I'm more of the "Press X to Jason" type:  Battle starts > tap X to keep attacking until battle is over > Continue game.

I've been using RPG Maker on and off for almost a year now.  I feel it's a great tool to be able to make the type of RPGs I fell in love with, particularly old-school NES/SNES types like the Final Fantasy/Dragon Warrior series.  My only setback, and the reason I haven't put out a game yet, is because my art skill have dropped off drastically since I finished high school all those many years ago, and I'm not a composer.  I'm more of a storyteller, so creating the actual adventure is my thing.  And far as I'm concerned, stock graphics and music are nice if all you strive for is a game your friends are going to play, but custom graphics and music are what will differentiate your game from all the others.

But really, a storyline filled with creativity, humor, and even drama goes a long way.  And more than anything, perfect spelling and grammar is key in a game where 95% of it is reading.

Last Six Years of Completed Games: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

#16 pasports31

pasports31

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

I would say if you're going to make an RPG, the best thing would be to play a few and take away what you felt was the best part of the game you played.  For me, my absolute favorite is Final Fantasy 4, and the best thing about it is the storyline.  I've never been much of a big fan when it comes to combat, I'm more of the "Press X to Jason" type:  Battle starts > tap X to keep attacking until battle is over > Continue game.

I've been using RPG Maker on and off for almost a year now.  I feel it's a great tool to be able to make the type of RPGs I fell in love with, particularly old-school NES/SNES types like the Final Fantasy/Dragon Warrior series.  My only setback, and the reason I haven't put out a game yet, is because my art skill have dropped off drastically since I finished high school all those many years ago, and I'm not a composer.  I'm more of a storyteller, so creating the actual adventure is my thing.  And far as I'm concerned, stock graphics and music are nice if all you strive for is a game your friends are going to play, but custom graphics and music are what will differentiate your game from all the others.

But really, a storyline filled with creativity, humor, and even drama goes a long way.  And more than anything, perfect spelling and grammar is key in a game where 95% of it is reading.

i dont think you understand the point of this thread

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#17 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:08 AM

Just because Fox started it as a joke doesn't mean people can't use it to talk about making games with other CAGs.

#18 pasports31

pasports31

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:14 AM

Just because Fox started it as a joke doesn't mean people can't use it to talking about making games with other CAGs.

UNTRUE

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#19 DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Super Lurker!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

Have an evil spirit make a game that makes even less sense than the average Final Fantasy fan game. Anyone that plays the game will then recieve a phone call from the evil spirit in real life. In this phone call, the spirit will state that the player has 7 days to live.  It is then the goal of the player to solve the mystery of why the evil spirit made the game and why it wants to kill anyone that plays the game before time runs out. Failure will result in the death of the player. A real unfortunate event for the hikikomori that played the game in the first place.

Spoiler

#20 Kain

Kain

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:58 AM

I see what the thread has turned into, of course, but considering I've seen Fox using RPG Maker on Steam, I figured his idea as originally posted was genuine.  If it was truly in jest, then I stand corrected.

#21 pasports31

pasports31

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:04 AM

I see what the thread has turned into, of course, but considering I've seen Fox using RPG Maker on Steam, I figured his idea as originally posted was genuine.  If it was truly in jest, then I stand corrected.

nah i was joking just based on how everybody responded. i actually would be interested in seeing what different people value in rpgs

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#22 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

Just because Fox started it as a joke doesn't mean people can't use it to talk about making games with other CAGs.

I actually didn't start it as a joke and was serious about it, not that I mind the humor in the thread, but the original intent of it was serious since I saw a lot of people who got the RPGMaker from the recent Humble and the GameFactory from Bundlestars.

#23 pasports31

pasports31

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:09 AM

This is making me debate buying those bundlez

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#24 DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Super Lurker!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:12 AM

In all seriousness, there have been articles written on rpg maker.net on this topic by a man named Ketona. Here's the link:

http://rpgmaker.net/...ntona/articles/ . Part 1 decribes several motivations of why people play rpgs. If you are interested, you can read the articles, although I would read them with an open mind because it is too easy to get locked into a one track mind on how to do things after reading how to guides, reducing your natural creativity.

#25 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:16 AM

I actually didn't start it as a joke and was serious about it, not that I mind the humor in the thread, but the original intent of it was serious since I saw a lot of people who got the RPGMaker from the recent Humble and the GameFactory from Bundlestars.

Oh, in that case, I am actually making a game in Unity. It is tough at first, but once you learn what most of the stuff does, it is a great tool. I am experimenting with mazes in first-person and just about to add melee and zombies.

If anyone is unable to pick up this Humble Weekly for some reason and wants RPG Maker VX Ace, let me know.

#26 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

Oh, in that case, I am actually making a game in Unity. It is tough at first, but once you learn what most of the stuff does, it is a great tool. I am experimenting with mazes in first-person and just about to add melee and zombies.

If anyone is unable to pick up this Humble Weekly for some reason and wants RPG Maker VX Ace, let me know.

I'm interested in Unity, but I think I'll play with Game Factory first since it uses Unity and then see about transitioning.  Is there a full access demo for Unity or do you have to purchase or subscribe to play with it?

#27 DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Super Lurker!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

To expand my posting further, you should probally start by making a fairly short game. 1-3 hours long, possibly. With this short amount of time, not only will you have a higher chance of completing your game, but your game will be higher quality because you can focous on a few high quality maps, characters, puzzles and combats instead of a large ammount of dull ones.

#28 Kain

Kain

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:40 AM

Expanding on DragonClaw's above post about short games; not only should your first game be short, but don't try to create the best possible game in your first attempt.  In most cases, your first game is going to be the "I'm really just learning how to use the program" game.  I made about six RPGs back in the late '90s/early 2ks.  Although people still loved it, the first one was incredibly short, and the knowledge I gained making that one helped me make my subsequent longer ones.

For learning VX ace, I suggest following the tutorial linked on this page.  It's extremely good and the game creation walkthrough will teach you most everything you need to know to create a basic game.

#29 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:11 AM

Who's to say you can't make a game and do some satire at the same time? I love DLC Quest exactly for this reason. It takes a ridiculous situation in the gaming community and pokes fun at it.

steam_sig.png

#30 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:50 AM

I'm interested in Unity, but I think I'll play with Game Factory first since it uses Unity and then see about transitioning.  Is there a full access demo for Unity or do you have to purchase or subscribe to play with it?

You can use the free version until your game makes $100,000 a year. The free version has most of the features the pro one has. Game Factory is more just for building assets for your game and then putting it in Unity, which I am going to look into next. Right now, I am just running around a world with a bunch of cubes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPGMaker, Gamefactory, Indie, dev, developer, steam