PSA: Sony stops selling psp

You still see random PS2s on clearance new for like $70-$100 at Targets, at least in my area. Wouldn't mind grabbing a red tag PSP for like $40-$60 in a year.

[quote name="waxHead" post="11811148" timestamp="1401815739"]Maybe include a link to an article about it?

http://time.com/2816781/sony-to-stop-selling-playstation-portable-by-end-of-year/[/quote]

Is anyone else having trouble opening links in tapatalk? The page just refreshes when I try to open the link.

Also, that Time article is pretty inaccurate. "Machines devoted to games are struggling against the popularity of smartphones and other devices." The 3DS is doing quite well. Same goes for their dig at the end regarding Nintendo, WiiU sales are bad, handheld sales are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was hoping Sony would sell the E-1000 model series of PSP in North America.  Seeing how UMD games are not very common in stores now, a remake of the PSP Go might work.

Still trying to track down those European exclusive PSP games like White Knight Chronicles Origins and Ridge Racer 2.  Already have Breath of Fire 3.  Tales of Eternia will probably be difficult and expensive to find.

Was hoping Sony would sell the E-1000 model series of PSP in North America. Seeing how UMD games are not very common in stores now, a remake of the PSP Go might work.

Still trying to track down those European exclusive PSP games like White Knight Chronicles Origins and Ridge Racer 2. Already have Breath of Fire 3. Tales of Eternia will probably be difficult and expensive to find.
The Vita can pretty much play the entire digital PSP library so another Go isn't necessary.

Only a matter of time before the Vita goes too. With the Xperia phones, I'm thinking Sony is gonna exit handheld gaming and switch to the Android platform.

Shipping kills the deal.
That might have been funny if it hadnt been used a couple thousand times already by virtually every cag user. It also might have been funny if this was in the deals thread but incase you didnt notice this is general gaming news. And it might have been funny if he posted this saying its a deal but he obviously didnt post it as such.

Keep practicing and you might get it one day champ.

Only a matter of time before the Vita goes too. With the Xperia phones, I'm thinking Sony is gonna exit handheld gaming and switch to the Android platform.
No need for them to kill it. They have a small, but solid, digital distribution set up with their userbase. They just refit the build to be more profitable. They can use it to help promote their main brand, the PS4, via streaming and second screen functionality. They have indie developers eating out of their hand with the system and it leads to more brand loyalty for developing for PS4. They also have amazing profit margins on their storage. It's not a rockstar like the DS brand, but it is adequate enough for them to keep it alive for years to come.

Is anyone else having trouble opening links in tapatalk? The page just refreshes when I try to open the link. Also, that Time article is pretty inaccurate. "Machines devoted to games are struggling against the popularity of smartphones and other devices." The 3DS is doing quite well. Same goes for their dig at the end regarding Nintendo, WiiU sales are bad, handheld sales are not.
While it is true that the 3DS is doing well, the sales for the Vita hardware are very lacking. The only company who's making it would be Nintendo and their 2DS/3DS. That article isn't exactly wrong though. Kids/Teenagers would rather play on a smartphone or tablet than they would on a handheld. Mainly, because it has simpler games. The only company who's actually succeeding in the handheld market would be Nintendo. From what I've seen, people would start picking up Vita's if they didn't exactly only cater to the Japanese/niche games. You've still got all the indie titles coming for the platform though. Price is also a big factor for most people.

bread's done
Back