The Forest Official Discussion Thread

Nope. Don't do it people.
But it's a game about love and life and nature:

242760_screenshots_2014-05-30_00001_zpsc2fa376d.jpg

But it's a game about love and life and nature:

242760_screenshots_2014-05-30_00001_zpsc2fa376d.jpg
I know. I kind of meant because of all the issues it's having: poor frame rates on good systems, some sort of memory leak which makes it crawl after an hour or so, no save (that has been fixed, but now nukes your inventory), and several other problems that you can read about on the Steam forums.

I want the game to be good (because I already bought it) but the Dev's need to step it up in the programming dept.

I guess being the top seller on Steam is really putting The Forest under a microscope but it isn't much different than any of the other survival games out there in terms of being buggy and lacking content. (not that that's an excuse mind you but the entire genre is full of janky messes)

Top seller equals more money which should equal faster/more effective hotfixes and updates. With Valves recent clarification on EA games "what you're paying for now, may be all you get" I'm more weary than ever before about buying into an alpha or beta. Like a real forest, this game is FULL of bugs. You'd expect a game that's already been in development as long as this one has, would have a lot of the absolute basics of the game ironed out long ago. And yet, save and inventory issues abound. It seems like they tried to impress with great graphics instead of perfecting the game's fundamental/core elements. Bake the cake, then apply the icing, sprinkles, candles, etc.

The log cabin takes way too long to build only for you to have to shove a hunting shelter inside of it just to save :wall:

242760_2014-06-07_00002_zps0f7347f5.png

Yeah, it definitely has a lot of issues to work out (it IS early alpha after all). But I got a good deal on it through the Steamtrades website (5 TF2 keys...so roughly like $11.50), so I figured I'd give it a shot because I think the concept is interesting and is a little different from most of the survival games. I look at it as an investment to see where the game goes.

Honestly, I would prefer the Early Access program to require that games be offered at a lower price than when they go to full release (some devs do this on their own). At least that way, you feel like you're being rewarded for being an early supporter and for committing your money before the product is very developed. For instance, The Forest is $15 in EA. If they raise the price to $30 when the game goes to full release, I'd feel a lot better about suffering through these "early days".

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back