Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

64gb vita memory cards available at GameStop $116.99

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 doc_j88

doc_j88

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

Ive noticed in my area the GameStops are selling 64gb Vita memory cards.

The associate checked and said that all the gamestops had at least one in stock.

I inspected the package and the card is "brand new" in Japanese packaging (i know because ive imported two 64gb cards) but being sold as Gstop used.

Good chance to go local instead of trying to import.

#2 theemadgamer

theemadgamer

SILENCE! I keel you!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Cool, haven't seen one @ a local GS yet.  They are also available @ Amazon for $102 right now with free prime shipping if you've got that.  Looks like market place seller has already imported, fulfilled by Amazon, works out well if you're Prime.

I went this route a couple of months ago.

#3 nitrosmob

nitrosmob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

Ive noticed in my area the GameStops are selling 64gb Vita memory cards.

The associate checked and said that all the gamestops had at least one in stock.

I inspected the package and the card is "brand new" in Japanese packaging (i know because ive imported two 64gb cards) but being sold as Gstop used.

Good chance to go local instead of trying to import.

I can't justify these prices....highway robbers Sony are for the Vita...and they wonder why it doesn't get more adopted....good find though....I'm waiting till these go to about 85 or so (about how much I paid for the 32 gig a while back).

#4 kevinmlssu

kevinmlssu

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

I can't justify these prices....highway robbers Sony are for the Vita...and they wonder why it doesn't get more adopted....good find though....I'm waiting till these go to about 85 or so (about how much I paid for the 32 gig a while back).

This exactly. I won't buy a vita until the cards get a little cheaper.

#5 EldritchOnRye

EldritchOnRye

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Well at least they're selling them used so you can get some used discounts off it.  Best case scenario for me it's only $3 less than Amazon prices after tax though.

3ds120.gif Picross 3D hot!68.gif  :pc: WoW  :wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot:   :vita: Front Mission 3   :xb1: TBD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :xb1: Ryse :mrgreen:
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List

#6 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

This exactly. I won't buy a vita until the cards get a little cheaper.

They have?

$100 is what the 32gb used to cost.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#7 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

well i can use my pur points to knock down the price of this :D
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#8 dallow

dallow

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

That's interesting.
How did they get into the import accessory business.

They have?

$100 is what the 32gb used to cost.

Don't question his fake excuse.
"i drive a rolls royce / cause it's good for my voice"
3DS Friend Code: 3609-1044-7487

#9 UcanSUKtheFAC

UcanSUKtheFAC

Being right is all that matters.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Pssst Sony - your Vita is failing commercially. Get a fucking clue. Stop pricing basic memory for three times the market rate. All this does is make me reluctant to download anything...

Currenty Playing / Recently Played / Backlog:  :ps3: Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, Puppeteer, DmC  :ps4: Destiny, Minecraft PS4, Diablo 3MLB 14 The Show, Strider, BF4, The Last of Us: Remastered  :wii: everything retro Nintendo   :wiiu: DKC Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101, Batman AO, NES Remix 1 & 2, Shovel Knight   :3ds: Tomodochi Life, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball  :vita: Tearaway, Murimasa Rebirth  :pc: Darksiders 2, Counter Strike GO, Chivalry, Saints Row 4  :lol: Most Anticipated: SMash Bros Wii U, Far Cry 4, Evolve, Destiny, Halo MC Collection, No Man's Sky, Inside, N++

My Favorite Games of 2014 So Far Roaring Millennials | Please support my new blog! Contributions welcome!

#10 AngelsPlight

AngelsPlight

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:21 PM

That price is horrible 0_0

It's $97~ on eBay FS no tax. Only problem is that it is shipped from China or Japan BUT, epacket shipping makes it actually fairly fast now, around the same speed as standard parcel post. 

Angelsplight.png

iangelsplight.png

#11 tearsintherain

tearsintherain

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

wait until E3 is over just in case sony announces any price changes or new SKUs (haven't heard any rumors but you never know)

#12 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

Pssst Sony - your Vita is failing commercially. Get a fucking clue. Stop pricing basic memory for three times the market rate. All this does is make me reluctant to download anything...

theres no alternative so sadly they dont need to lower them atm. for piracy reasons they didnt allow third party ones :(
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#13 doc_j88

doc_j88

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Strait edge is right

The psp had piracy issues. I mean so did the Nintendo DS, but for developers it cost more to make psp games compared to cheap low graphic ds games and made them stop developing for the psp which led to its eventual decline in the west.

#14 bonesawisready

bonesawisready

YES! YES! YES!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Yea these 64GB cards MAX should sell for $59.99 with 32GB being $29.99. That gives Sony a little bit of profit but doesn't make such a bad first impression on consumers. 

#15 bonesawisready

bonesawisready

YES! YES! YES!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

I don't think the memory cards have as much to do with piracy (they do help) but more with losses on the Vita initially. Since Sony lost money on each Vita for a long time (might still, maybe not) they made major profit off the cards to offset this.

#16 Ferrari Racer

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Jesus that's still a lot of money.

Though somebody who has enough games to fill up this card can probably afford it.

#17 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Kind of silly how so many people whine about the memory card prices on the Vita.  I personally have no problem with them, since I would rather not see the Vita hacked (and therefore stop getting games).  The PSP was hacked due to its standard memory card format, and that hurt its overall lifespan (and it was a fantastic little handheld for its time, I still own a bunch of them, all models). 

I have one 32gb card in each of my two Vita systems, and on my main system I now have about 90 games on the card.  Admittedly I have a good mix of games, including many PSP titles, but I felt that the cards were well worth the price.  Its just a one-time, small additional cost for the system that benefits you for a long time into the future, so its no big deal.  And honestly if you can't afford a memory card for the Vita, you probably can't afford the Vita either, might as well stick with a 3DS, which is much cheaper hardware.

#18 ajumbaje

ajumbaje

West Coast born East Coast raised

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Proprietary memory formats ftl

#19 crzyboy88

crzyboy88

This is a witty title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Kind of silly how so many people whine about the memory card prices on the Vita. I personally have no problem with them, since I would rather not see the Vita hacked (and therefore stop getting games). The PSP was hacked due to its standard memory card format, and that hurt its overall lifespan (and it was a fantastic little handheld for its time, I still own a bunch of them, all models).

I have one 32gb card in each of my two Vita systems, and on my main system I now have about 90 games on the card. Admittedly I have a good mix of games, including many PSP titles, but I felt that the cards were well worth the price. Its just a one-time, small additional cost for the system that benefits you for a long time into the future, so its no big deal. And honestly if you can't afford a memory card for the Vita, you probably can't afford the Vita either, might as well stick with a 3DS, which is much cheaper hardware.

I can deal with proprietary cards. It's the prices that are crazy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 pittsnoggle

pittsnoggle

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

PUR plus birthday makes it not terrible I only wish there would be micro sd to vita adapters like their was for psp thats What I always used for my psp

690810.png

#21 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

I can deal with proprietary cards. It's the prices that are crazy.

If you search around and look for deals, you can find them.  I paid about $55 for each of my two 32gb cards, one was direct from Sony and the other was from Gamestop.  Just like anything else, there are deals to be had.

#22 neb9

neb9

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

I ordered a 64gb from superufo.com for $87 shipped. They are located in Hong Kong but I saved $20.

Yes, the he memory prices are crazy but if you are buying a Vita you already know this. Sony messed up with the proprietary memory and they are paying for it with low sales.

#23 bonesawisready

bonesawisready

YES! YES! YES!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

Kind of silly how so many people whine about the memory card prices on the Vita.  I personally have no problem with them, since I would rather not see the Vita hacked (and therefore stop getting games).  The PSP was hacked due to its standard memory card format, and that hurt its overall lifespan (and it was a fantastic little handheld for its time, I still own a bunch of them, all models). 

I have one 32gb card in each of my two Vita systems, and on my main system I now have about 90 games on the card.  Admittedly I have a good mix of games, including many PSP titles, but I felt that the cards were well worth the price.  Its just a one-time, small additional cost for the system that benefits you for a long time into the future, so its no big deal.  And honestly if you can't afford a memory card for the Vita, you probably can't afford the Vita either, might as well stick with a 3DS, which is much cheaper hardware.

Its not silly. They make bank on these. Comparable prices like a 32GB SD card is like $20-$30 sold at like huge profits.

Sony can't possibly spend more than say $25 on each of these 64GB cards, marking them up $70-$90ish. Reducing the price of these cards to be comparable to their competitors would in no way threaten the hacking of the Vita.

#24 bonesawisready

bonesawisready

YES! YES! YES!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

If you search around and look for deals, you can find them.  I paid about $55 for each of my two 32gb cards, one was direct from Sony and the other was from Gamestop.  Just like anything else, there are deals to be had.

Doesn't stop the fact that you SHOULD have had the option to pay $20-$30 for it. I know Sony deserves profits so they can turn that into Vita game development (which Lol, they aren't even doing that, just porting games mostly) but they'd be fine selling $10 32GB cards for $30, not $55+. 

BTW, 32GBs of flash memory generally costs like $10 to manufacture.

#25 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

I imported mine for something like $92 shipped.  That's only $7 off your mark.   I think I used yesasia.com with a small coupon (a couple dollars off).    I sold my 32 for $75 at the time, so doubled my storage for under $20.     If you keep an eye out at the main import websites for coupons, and sell your 32 at a good time, it's easy to make the switch.

If you wait for the 64 to come to the US, the used market for the 32 will bottom out and it'll cost you more to upgrade since you'll get so much less for your 32.  Plus, when it comes to the US it'll likely be the same price as imports ($100ish).

#26 Tacosss

Tacosss

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

I'd get a vita but the damn memory almost costs as much as the device. sony should be embarrassed. Give me a 128GB SD card at a fair price in a few years and then maybe a vita would be worthwhile.

#27 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

BTW, 32GBs of flash memory generally costs like $10 to manufacture.

Economies of scale.   These cards are only made for one device, in relatively low quantity.   I think you're grossly underestimating their cost for sony to produce.    Yes, sony is definitely making a profit on them, but that was part of their vita pricing strategy (to profit a bit on the cards instead of the hardware).

Sure, if they went with a standard card it would be much cheaper -- it's likely they chose not to do that for piracy prevention.    Does it suck?  Sure, we'd all prefer cheaper cards.    But if the vita got hacked and everyone could get all the latest games for free, say goodbye to all the wonderful games coming out for vita.   Remember, they're coming in after the fiasco that was psp piracy and I'm sure the engineers had strict instructions never to let that happen again.

Besides, we're cags here... we generally aren't paying msrp, let alone Gamestop inflated import prices-- I bought my 32s at around $40 each, sold them at $75 each, and bought a 64 at $92 shipped.   I've spent, what, ~$20 for my 64?  

#28 midloo

midloo

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Careful.  If Sony hands you a glass of Kool Aid some day, you might want to pause before guzzling it all down. 

Posted Image

#29 Bacon Parade

Bacon Parade

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

...honestly if you can't afford a memory card for the Vita, you probably can't afford the Vita either...

It's not about being able to afford it or not, just not many are comfortable at the price they're trying to sell it for. 

Tiger_Driver.png

Spoiler

#30 matrix9280

matrix9280

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

The memory card costs more than the games. In what type of fucked up world is that considered okay. Hopefully not this one.

Never stop making them pay.