Backwards Compatible Must Haves

nasum

CAGiversary!
I know I should get the Metroid Prime Trilogy, but I'm hoping to not use a waggle stick.
The Last Story seems interesting.

Beyond that, not sure what to look for. I like jrpgs and unique games. Loving ZombiU and W101, but certainly feel like there's more to play

Wow, someone else who doesn't like waggle in their Metroid Prime? I'm amazed... I thought I was the only one. 

If you like JRPGs, then Xenoblade is easily a must have. The gameplay ins't the most innovative, since it's just an offline MMORPG but it's completely streamlined (no tedious traveling, no backtracking) and there's tons of stuff to do; great visuals, great story and it's ridiculous fun. The Last Story is good but very conventional and honestly felt like there were a lot of story elements they simply didn't develop for some reason or another. Pandora's Tower is also worth looking into. It's part Zelda clone (nowhere near as good, but functional) and part JRPG. It's got a very unique setting and story. 

Zack and Wiki is a very underrated game. It's a "point and click" style adventure game that was released very early during the Wii days. Don't let the kiddie look fool you, this game is pretty challenging, has an emotionally engrossing story and to this day, remains one of the few games I honestly feel that made good use of waggle controls. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Though CAG 2.0 had a much better list feature than 3.0, I spent some time giving my opinions on the Wii games per year, click the link in my signature for the blog post that links to each year from there.

These lists include the must haves, plus more niche titles that are still worth your time (IMO), and good to start looking for them now while used copies are still readily available.

You can still read the comments I wrote on each one if you want to, but its so ass backwards on 3.0 I don't recommend it.

My input that hasn't already been mentioned:

Arc Rise Fantasia (fun and decent JRPG but turn off voices, the dub is AWFUL!)
Boy and his blob (very fun, not terribly difficult, though)
Both Super Mario Galaxies are awesome
Kirby Return to dreamland is a ton of fun, as long as you're willing to put in the $50 to buy it. (the first half isn't that hard, but the difficulty picks up a bit in the second half)
Kirby Epic Yarn isn't difficult, but is a lot of fun.

The pikmin remakes are pretty good.
Kirby's dream collection is pretty awesome, it has a bunch of great classic kirby games.
Final fantasy Crystal Chronicles echoes of time is pretty awesome, don't let it's association with the godawful gamecube game make you ignore it.
Super Paper mario is great, too, but don't expect it to be like the other ones.
Wario land Shake it is a pretty cool 2d platformer.  I could go on for hours, but I'm leaving it at that.  How about you list games you think might be interesting, and we can weigh in on them.

Aside from those already mentioned, I would add:

- de Blob: Yes, the sequel is multiplatform, but the original has something that its follow-up doesn't-- a free play mode. de Blob 2 is fun too, though.

- Sonic Colors: One of the best Sonic games since the Genesis era. If you liked Sonic Generations, this is a must-play.

Also, seconding the recs for Elebits, Chocobo's Dungeon, Super Mario Galaxy, Kirby's Epic Yarn, the Pikmin rereleases, Super Paper Mario, and Rune Factory Frontier and Tides of Destiny.

Grabbed Xenoblade and played for nearly two hours before I noticed I had to piss. Love it so far.
I like that by year list, better organized than metacritic. Excellent work there.
Not terribly interested in the Galaxy games since I figure Mario 3D World will give me much of the same with a feature update.

Mario Galaxy =/= Mario 3d world.   3d world feels like 3d versions of classic 2d mario levels.  Mario Galaxy has a bit more free roam to it.  Trust me, they're VERY worth it.  (yes, I do love 3d world)

Little King's story
This. This. 1000x this. I love this game. In my top five Wii games.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Excite Truck / Excitebots: Trick Racing
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption / Metroid Prime Trilogy
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside Chronicles
The Super Mario Galaxies
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
The Munchables
Xenoblade Chronicles

i own both Zack and Wiki (where is my sequal) and Elebits very awesome.

bloom blox 1 & 2 , I also had a shoot where you could make custom ships.... ah hah called blast works...

you could even download ships/levels from the internet. totaly cool game (I however sucked at the game)

It's strange saying this considering the Wii sold a bazillion units, but it's one of the most underrated systems for serious gamers. 80% of Wii owners only bought Just Dance and Cooking Mama.

It's cheaper to buy the Prime Trilogy separately than purchasing the bundle.  So going that way would not only eliminate waggle for the first couple of games, but would save a few bucks.  

And the first two games can only be played on a wii or gamecube.  And really, move controls improve the first two immensely, imo

Xenoblade

Last Story

Pandora's Tower

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows

Mario Party

There are many more but for some reason the names are eluding me.

I know this is a little bit old, but I'm bored.

Here's my list:

A Boy and his Blob

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Boom Blox 1 and Bash Party

Little King's Story 

Klonoa

Pikmin 1 and 2

Punch Out

Rhythm Heaven Fever

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Kirby Epic Yarn

Mario Kart Wii

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Goldeneye 007

Red Steel 2 

Sam & Max Season One

Sonic Colors

Mario Galaxy 1,2

Smash Bros. Brawl

Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

Tiger Woods games 

Wario Land: Shake It!

Zack & Wiki

Wii Sports

Wii sports resort

No More Heroes 1,2

Mad World

There a lot more, but those are the ones I have/remember. The Wii is my favorite console ever, the Wii U is slowly taking over though.

bread's done
Back