Just got a Wii U, question about controllers

DaMonStEr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Hey cags, just got a wii u and had a question or two. Right now I just have the game pad that comes with the console. For older wii games, I'll need an original wiimote and nunchuck from what I've read, do I need anything else? I don't have the original wii, so would i need to buy a sensor bar as well?

If anyone could break down the compatibility between both consoles and controllers, that would be great. Thanks in advance

I've found that the waggle sticks with motion plus (wii u branded more or less) are necessary for the most part.
No need to buy another sensor bar.

I'd pick up the Wii Mote Plus for sure :) A lot of Wii games don't need the nun-chuck, but games like Mario Galaxy and Zelda (some of the best games on Wii in my opinion) do need it :)

The gamepad is fine for most Wii U games, but some also support the Wii U Pro Controller which is more like a traditional xbox / ps3 controller. I find it to be much more comfy for long gaming sessions. Off the top of my head, both Wii U Mario Games + Mario Kart support it. Ninja Gaiden does also. Monster Hunter too :D

Sensor bar on the Wii U will work just fine in Wii mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get the wii mote plus in white, black, blue, & pink I think with nunchuks of each respective color for about $28 (after factoring in tax & shipping) on Nintendo's online store. They're refurbished, but I have a black set I got from there. It has one scuff mark, that's it. Works perfectly, & you're good to go.

It's better to get a plus, since most games on the wii u that work with the wii mote require plus. I wouldn't even bother with an old non-plus wii mote.

You can get the wii mote plus in white, black, blue, & pink I think with nunchuks of each respective color for about $28 (after factoring in tax & shipping) on Nintendo's online store. They're refurbished, but I have a black set I got from there. It has one scuff mark, that's it. Works perfectly, & you're good to go.

It's better to get a plus, since most games on the wii u that work with the wii mote require plus. I wouldn't even bother with an old non-plus wii mote.
Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Is system transfer a thing on the wii u? I have a 3ds with a bunch of vc games that I bought, would they carry over to the wii u if i sign in? Just booted the system up now, going through the system update.

Unfortunately, I believe at this time 3DS VC games are not transferable to the Wii U. They may change this in the future someday, but as it stands they are not. At worst, they might force you to re-buy them for a discount price if you connect the two consoles (much like wii VC upgrades). Right now there is nothing between those two though.

Perhaps wait until later today. Who knows, they might announce it at e3. ;P

bread's done
Back