The "2nd & Charles" Thread

JustSaiyanPaul

CAGiversary!
Have any CAGs had luck with the store "2nd & Charles"? It's a used book store chain owned by Books-a-Million. There's several of them in the country. I read the reviews and heard they all had good deals on video games. We have one down in Greenville, SC... I had to check it out, and honestly, it's going downhill quite fast.

Every time I go in there (which isn't so often) the prices on games go up like crazy. I bought Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories on the PS1 here for $10.80 back in January. On my recent visit there, the same game was in the "glass case" (where anything remotely rare is stored) at flat-out $28. Are you fukking kidding me? I had seen a boxed Chrono Trigger there which didn't yet have a price tag. God knows how much it would've cost. :p

Just let me know what you CAGs think of 2&C, because I've had some bad luck with this location.

When I first heard of this place I couldn't help myself. I always called it Charles in charge.

They have some good deals there. All comics buy 5 get 5 free this weekend.
Comics and books are two things, but I was pretty irritated with the prices on retro games. I really want to like 2&C, but its value doesn't do justice. :p

First time yesterday as a matter of fact.

Dokapon kingdom-20 bucks mint, picked up
And Zelda collectors edition GameCube- 125 bucks wtf? Laughed and left

First time yesterday as a matter of fact.

Dokapon kingdom-20 bucks mint, picked up
And Zelda collectors edition GameCube- 125 bucks wtf? Laughed and left
Exactly. As I can imagine that is how much the boxed Chrono would've gone for...

The $28 for Forbidden Memories and $50 for Super Smash Bros. Melee just made me lol. The GC Metroid still had the GameStop sticker on it. Ha ha! Fail...

Last edited by a moderator:
$50 for Super Smash Bros. Melee just made me lol. The GC Metroid still had the GameStop sticker on it. Ha ha! Fail...
When was the last time you checked prices on Melee. A complete black label in good shape is over $50 on Amazon. The N64 cart isn't too far from $50 either. Just saying.

Their book prices seem to be decent, usually can get them cheaper than what it would be on Amazon after shipping.

But their DVD/BR/Game prices are all over the place.  I saw 7-8 copies of the Xbox version of Star Wars: Starfighter that had tags with various prices($1.99, $3.99, $5.99 & $7.99).  I thought it might be on conditions, but the $1.99 one was in better shape & had everything compared to the scratched up, missing instructions $7.99 one.

You also got to watch it with their DVDs(especially the Anime section).  As I've spotted multiple titles during my visits that were obvious bootlegs and looked like someone used a cheap printer to print out the insert.  So their trade-in team doesn't really check the stuff well that people bring in.  Which BTW, their trade-ins are usually a joke and offer less than what Amazon does.

But you can find decent prices from time to time.  I grabbed a mint complete Xbox copy of Shenmue 2 for $2.99 last time I was there(seems to be a pain finding one with the DVD).  They also usually have a B2G1 sale on games about every 3 months.

I've gotten killer deals on anime there. I got Volumes 4-7 of Macross brand new for $9.98 a piece. I sold Volume 7 for $150 not too long after picking it up. In hindsight I probably could've gotten more.

I'm pretty sure individual employees get to price items at their own discretion - so you can ocassionally find good video game deals if you're there at the right time.

I have only been to 2nd & Charles about 4-5 times.  The store is packed with goodies.  Games, Comics, Anime, Books, Vinyl, Toys, etc.  I've taken them a bunch of junk left over from library bag sales.  I still have never taken anything good to trade there.  They evaluate your media then offer you a trade or cash amount for the stuff they want.  What I don't like is the offer you one lump sum for everything instead telling you individual trade value.  The first few times I took the cash.  This last time my cash offer was so low I took the $14 and change in trade credit.  Keep in mind this stuff I take them is totally worthless. This is what I found for $14.99.  Was only a couple bucks out of pocket.  Not to shabby.

gallery_354731_8396_1119378.jpg

Thanks Op for making this thread.  I almost posted this in the HPB thread as I enjoyed this trade.  Now I have a reason to head back.  From now on I think I'll go the trade route and see if I can find any retro classics.  They also always have the Retron consoles in stock new.

When was the last time you checked prices on Melee. A complete black label in good shape is over $50 on Amazon. The N64 cart isn't too far from $50 either. Just saying.
I'd seen a Melee at one game store for $32.85. Should've checked the online prices by now though. :p

I got legend of dragoon for 15 a couple months back...not too bad I don't think.

I still can't believe what happened to this day as I checked out though. I found a sealed Ps1 final fantasy game and when I gave the cashier the game he opened it to 'show me the game was undamaged' :(

I would have told them to stop... then again, unless it was 7 or Tactics, sealed PS1 FF games aren't worth much, Square still sells most of them on their web site sealed for fairly cheap.

I got legend of dragoon for 15 a couple months back...not too bad I don't think.

I still can't believe what happened to this day as I checked out though. I found a sealed Ps1 final fantasy game and when I gave the cashier the game he opened it to 'show me the game was undamaged' :(
On a similar sidenote, I saw a black label Final Fantasy IX at Greenville 2&C in their storage compartment with a disc missing having replaced with a Tactics Ogre game. The girl told me it was a "collector's edition". Yeah, that's collector's edition alright. I was going to get it... but that's how picky I am when it comes to game collecting. :p

The fact that the cashier opened the sealed FF game is dumb though. Did it have a Sony security strip on top?

I would have told them to stop... then again, unless it was 7 or Tactics, sealed PS1 FF games aren't worth much, Square still sells most of them on their web site sealed for fairly cheap.
It happened so fast I didn't even realize it. I don't remember which FF it was but it was only $5 and I needed it for my collection :(

Apparently the store near me is trying to clear out a bunch of Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2 & PS3 games.  As some that were once on shelves are now thrown into 2 clearance bins.  Still somewhat over priced even in the bins.

Went yesterday and got 5 games after trading/dumping some DVDs there for store credit.  Kinda shocked that this store had a Final Fantasy game, as the store barely had any PS1 games(counted 20 at most) on the shelf and were mostly old sports games.

[attachment=6396:20140704_220217.jpg][attachment=6397:20140704_220252.jpg]

Kinda laughing at the MSRP on FFT.  As the Greatest Hits version retailed for $20.

Also one thing that annoyed me is that they've started using scotch tape to seal the cases.  So peeling them off leaves a sticky residue around the opening part of the case.  Goo Gone fixes this, but still annoying.

It happened so fast I didn't even realize it. I don't remember which FF it was but it was only $5 and I needed it for my collection :(
Depending on which Final Fantasy game it was, it's really not that big of a deal. A sealed FF9 or FF Chronicles or Origins for example isn't worth anything.

I love this place even if their stuff is overpriced at the local one. 

I got the Spider Man trilogy on Blu Ray for $15 used. All disks are perfect and I am so happy. 

Buy 1 Get 1 free all clearance books through 8/3.

Made two trips this week with the usual junk for trades. Sitting on $50 credit right now. Shooting for a cool $100 before going on a shopping spree.

People should check their stores.  Not sure if it's chainwide or this store specifically(so YMMV), but they're trying to clearance out a bunch of old games(PS3/X360 is newest games I saw), DVDs, CDs & books.  Most of them range from $1-$5.  As you can see with the pics below, the way to tell what is clearanced is that secondary, smaller orange sticker(it's the "discount" price).

Managed to get Iron Man, Quantum of Solace, Ratatouille & Star Trek Encounters(all PS2) for $2 each.  Also got Ridge Racer 5(PS2) for $1.

[attachment=12082:20150211_152420.jpg]  [attachment=12081:20150211_152447.jpg]

*Edit(2/16/15 update)

Went back today to see more markdowns.  Got more PS2 games for $2 each.

Grabbed:

Tekken Tag Tournament

Guitar Hero Aerosmith

Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's

Sega Superstars Tennis

The Incredible Hulk(the '08 Sega one)

God of War 2(this one was marked down to $5)

bread's done
Back