Moving to a new city. Cheap furniture (not craigslist) Need advice

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Some advice for people here.

I'm about to move to a new city.  I want internet and Landline.  I do not care about cable.

They are offering internet only (Download speed 25Mb)  for 45 bucks by comcast.   Then I would buy a separate Phone landline contract from AT&T

Or

I can get AT&T U-verse (internet (Download Speed 18MBs) plus landline phone)  for 55 bucks.

Has anyone had an experience with AT&T?  Is that download speed okay for netflix?

Thanks.

****EDIT

So, I'm also trying to find cheap furniture for a few months for work.  Do you all know any good places to buy futons, chairs, etc?  I thought about buying futons from Amazon or Ebay since shipping is free, but the reviews on there are terrible?

Should i just buy from IKEA or walmart and have them ship it to me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Either speed is more than sufficient for streaming video.

Other thing to look into would be whether either have data caps in your area, and if so what they are and what the overage policy/rates are.

If that's equal, I'd probably go AT&T as you'd probably pay a good bit more than $55 total if you go the $45 with Comcast and have to buy a landline on it's own from AT&T.

I have Uverse, have no complaints. However, my mom had Uverse a couple of years ago and hated it. Her connection would always go in and out. I'm guessing they fixed it though since we moved onto the same street as her and have no issues with ours.

uverse all day. I have had it since 2009 and no real problems that reset of the gateway from time to time will fix. Had Comcast before that, really hate that company.

I had UVerse for a couple of years and was pleased with the product, until they couldn't keep billing a promotional rate to save their life.   Ended up switching to cable and I'm paying less for multiple times faster via Charter.  Was paying $55 for 24Mbps with UVerse, now paying $45 for Charter for 100Mbps (90-92Mbps in testing).

If you're primarily going to use this new Internet connection for Netflix, either one will work for HD streaming.   If you're getting UVerse Voice, which is VOIP (not a land line), it won't work if you have an alarm system like ADT that needs a phone line.   Standalone phone line, won't matter.

I watch the World Cup on channel 658 (or something like that) I think it's called Univision Deportes

Edit: woops, realized you weren't referring to cable, sorry :(

****EDIT

Moving across the country for work.

So, I'm also trying to find cheap furniture for a few months.  Do you all know any good places to buy futons, chairs, etc?  I thought about buying futons from Amazon since shipping is free, but the reviews on there are terrible?

Should i just buy from IKEA or walmart and have them ship it to me?

90% of my furniture is from Ikea and I have no problem with it. Over the years the wife and I have been slowly getting rid of old furniture given to us when we got married and replacing it. Some items like my coffee table and gaming chair I've had for 6+ years and they're still going strong.

Just take a walk through the showroom and mark off the items you like. The entire store is designed for people like you looking to start out with a new set of furniture. Not sure how the shipping works. It might be cheaper to rent a van or find a buddy who has a truck and just pick it up yourself.

If you're buying big items you're going to want an extra person to help assemble it.

I'm moving to the Northeast, thank you for the offer  Equistina. 

Btw, when you all use ebay.  I found some cheap drawers, do you all use an ebay sniper?

Just get ikea. It's cheap and the quality is consistent. Once you "grow up" and settle into your permanent home, you can then spend tons of money on "real" furniture. I love ikea.

Just get ikea. It's cheap and the quality is consistent. Once you "grow up" and settle into your permanent home, you can then spend tons of money on "real" furniture. I love ikea.
Okay. That sounds like a good idea. Also I found that walmart has a ton of furniture with free shipping.

Ikea makes the best display case for all of your retro consoles that I have encountered so far.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30275861/

kallax-shelving-unit__0243963_PE383234_S4.JPG

bread's done
Back